Options

Short Story behind my fave PJ Memoribila

mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
edited November 2010 in The Porch
The vinyl single giveaway (that I missed out on by oversleeping) got this little gem back on my mind this morning so I thought I'd post up and share. I suspect it's likely one of maybe a handful, though. Doesn't much matter as no price could pry it from my collection. :D

There are about 1500 of these out there
pjlms_whole.jpg
If the image doesn't load: http://www.gravity-interactive.com/pjlms_whole.jpg

But I'm assuming not a whole lot with this?
pjlms_edsig.jpg
If the image doesn't load: http://www.gravity-interactive.com/pjlms_edsig.jpg

Backstory,
I've had this stashed away since early 92 when I got it (along with all the others). Well I was catching a couple of the solo Ed tourdates last year (ryman nights 1&2 and orpheum-memphis) and on the day before the Memphis show I found out that a buddy of mine had a hookup. I knew his family (the hallorans) were huge boosters/organizers for the Orpheum, but I didn't realize he had the ability to put anything he wanted backstage to get signed. He has been setting guitars back there for years and has quite a collection of autographed instruments as a result.

I flipped out and being a good freind he agreed to let me put something back there. I was torn... Obviously my LMS single would be amazing, but given it's rarity and the fact that It's been with me through 8 moves over the last 20 years, I was loathe to let it out of my sight. Second choice was the limited edition Ryman Hatch Show Print that I had purchased a few nights before at the first show. (more on that later) I was torn so I loaded them both into the Jeep and headed down to the Orpheum to ask Pat how much he trusted the staff back there with my LMS vinyl.

I arrived and showed him both pieces, explained the significance of each piece and it's rarity and asked his thoughts. He said "I wouldn't worry about it... but I'll put both back there for you just in case". Sweetness.

I enjoyed the show immensely (though not nearly as much as the Ryman shows I must admit)... but in the back of my mind I was worried about my stuff. Did it get stolen? Signed?

The next day I heard from my buddy and he delivered the news. "He wouldn't sign my guitar". Panic. What?! "Yeah... Eddie apparently refuses to sign guitars as a general rule as he's had too many end up on Ebay." Damn... sorry. "But.... he signed both your pieces".

I forgot to mention that I had attached a short note to the ryman poster that read something to the effect of "Ed, Thanks for a couple of amazing nights at the Ryman.. I can't wait to see what rabbits you pull out of your hat tonight. -Matt"

If you look closely he graciously personalized it. Big Thumbsup to Ed.
8327_126856926622_547146622_2609951_1876339_n.jpg

I've got the two stubs from that night and eventually will have the poster and tickets framed together and hung in my home office along with my other favorite peices. The Signed LMS stays in the safe though... :D
Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    A side story about the Ryman poster.

Karma is a funny thing.

So I had gotten some pretty solid seats for night one at the Ryman (row 7 or so) via the 10club and had gone to Nasvhille with my girl. This was to be her first PJ/Eddie experience and she was moderately excited. Not a huge Pearl jam fan... but sorta liked the Into the Wild disc. I had spent the drive up playing some old boots of Eddie Solo and explaining how lucky she was for this venue to be her first Ed show...

Before the show I found myself in line for goods and noticed the hatch show prints hanging. At $25 they were no cheap affair but as a graphic artist myself I appreciate the history behind the Company and their show print style... and the opportunity to get such a limited piece (they only did them In Nashville, the home of Hatch) was too tempting. As I got to the front of the line I noticed they were flying off the shelves... almost gone in fact. I wanted to get one for my little brother for his birthday and something told me "get a spare". I was questioning dropping $25 on a poster... now all of a sudden I'm buying 3.... one of which I wasn't even sure of the reason why.

We walked down to our seats and my girl and I were admiring yet again the beauty that is the Ryman Auditorium when I noticed a small booklet being read by a guy next to me. He explained that they were giving them out up front as you walked in. Odd... I walked up. No dice. They were out. Bummer. I walked back empty handed and he asked if I got one. I explained they were out. He thought for a moment and offered me his. I tried to refuse but he insisted, stating he was coming again tomorrow night and he'd just get one then. I thanked him profusely and we started talking. He was another lifelong PJ fan who had come down from E KY for the show. We discussed past shows and generally got to know each other. Good guy... typically quality PJ fan you'll meet up in the 10C seats.

The conversation turned to the posters and I rolled out one of the hatch prints. He was admiring it and explained that he wished he coulda gotten one but they were sold out before he got there. I thought for a moment and then offered him my spare. He was awestruck, then started offering me cash. I think he held out $80 or so. I refused saying he had hooked me up with the booklet and something had told me to buy the poster before the show... now I know why. I was happy to see it in the hands of a true fan....

Not long after that the show started and it was amazing. Of the many times I'd seen PJ live, this was my first solo Ed show and I was not disappointed. The GF was blown away as well. Before the encore the guy leaned over and offered me a ticket for tomorrows show. He apologized that he had only one so my GF wouldnt be able to come, but his extra ticket was mine if I wanted it. I had work the next day... I had a 3 hour drive back to Memphis.. She told me I'd be an idiot if I didn't take him up on it. So I did.

We enjoyed the rest of the show, exchanged numbers, and parted ways. The next morning I called my boss, explained matters (no problem...cool boss) and then drove my girl to Memphis...turned around, and drove back to Nashville. I spoke with Derek on the phone and arranged to meet up for a bite to eat and a few beers before the show. I met him outside the Ryman and he was pretty glazed over. Problem with the tickets? On the contrary. 2nd row center.

Turns out he had been offered $600 for his extra ticket just after getting it. He turned it down and gave it to me...wouldn't accept a dime for it. Now that's a true fan.

Went and grabbed a few beers and some food (on my dime of course), and hit the show. Turns out it was the one of the best decisions of my life to say fuckit and come back to town. Night two, was even better than night one and stands out as arguably my fave PJ/ED show to date.

Derek and still keep in touch and I'm sure we'll end up catching another show on the next tour. Great guy and one of the truly great people I've met at PJ shows throughout the years. It just struck me as funny, flpping through my PJ stuff this AM (triggered by that email) and seeing that poster. I'm still not sure what that little voice was in my head telling me to grab that extra poster... but I'm glad I did.
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,266
    Nice story :)
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    awesome course of events you experienced and thanks for sharing. seems like so many things fell into place so magically for so many people with those EV shows. Very powerful
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    cool reads man.
    I'm a big believer in karma. it pays to be nice. even if you take all the materialistic stuff away...the budding friendships one acquires, the well being feeling you get, etc.