Creeps at work?

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
The shop i work at i am usually alone at after 4:30p or so... There's this guy that has made a habit of coming in every night to talk to me. I'm 22 he looks like he's maybe, oh i don't know, 35 or 40. I don't think he is completely off his rocker but there seems to be the feeling that he's kind of, one brick short of the load.

Anyways, not only does he continue to talk to me while i'm HELPING customers but he always talks about things that are completely inappropiate. I'm not a prude, but he creeps me out so I don't particularly enjoy him talking to me about handcuffing women to his bed (as he went on about tonight). And even worse once he saw me walking to work with my boyfriend and he doesn't stop going on about him, asking me about him and saying shit like, "oh why are you so tired? oh i know, you've been up cuddling all nignt" or, "oh so your boyfriend doesn't stay the night with you or what?" its always something on the cusp of asking about our sex life or something.

I try to just put up with it and not say much and do my best to ignore him or just at least try and give him the impression that i really don't care...
But at what point do i tell him to fuck off? I'm always thinking it...
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    He's just a guy who comes into the shop you work at?

I think he's already behaving inappropriately if he's talking to you about subjects that make you uncomfortable AND he's hindering your ability to help other customers by hanging around when he's not actually doing business.

Talk to your employers and explain the situation to them. Tell them you need to put a stop to this and ask if they can help you with the situation. Depending upon their reaction, (and how protective they feel towards you) you may even get some help with "talking to him" about leaving you alone.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    I thought this said crepes at work. And that just sounds delicious.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I thought this said crepes at work. And that just sounds delicious.
    Now THAT,
    i wouldn't have a problem with at all.
  • haffajappa wrote:
    The shop i work at i am usually alone at after 4:30p or so... There's this guy that has made a habit of coming in every night to talk to me. I'm 22 he looks like he's maybe, oh i don't know, 35 or 40. I don't think he is completely off his rocker but there seems to be the feeling that he's kind of, one brick short of the load.

Anyways, not only does he continue to talk to me while i'm HELPING customers but he always talks about things that are completely inappropiate. I'm not a prude, but he creeps me out so I don't particularly enjoy him talking to me about handcuffing women to his bed (as he went on about tonight). And even worse once he saw me walking to work with my boyfriend and he doesn't stop going on about him, asking me about him and saying shit like, "oh why are you so tired? oh i know, you've been up cuddling all nignt" or, "oh so your boyfriend doesn't stay the night with you or what?" its always something on the cusp of asking about our sex life or something.

I try to just put up with it and not say much and do my best to ignore him or just at least try and give him the impression that i really don't care...

The common phrase for this is 'sexual harassment'
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    justam wrote:
    He's just a guy who comes into the shop you work at?

I think he's already behaving inappropriately if he's talking to you about subjects that make you uncomfortable AND he's hindering your ability to help other customers by hanging around when he's not actually doing business.

Talk to your employers and explain the situation to them. Tell them you need to put a stop to this and ask if they can help you with the situation. Depending upon their reaction, (and how protective they feel towards you) you may even get some help with "talking to him" about leaving you alone.
    yeah i think the feeling is mutual among the store owners and me... we all find him creepy. my boss can't stand him. we're all too nice to say anything... or have been. i think it's starting to get too far.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    It is going too far.

Someone HAS to say something. Don't let politeness stop you from standing up for yourself. Politeness rules have to go out the window when you need to defend yourself.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • There's also the possibility that this guy is dangerous...not trying to scare you or anything but it sounds like this definitely needs to be addressed even though that might be difficult to do.
    There's also the possibility that this guy is dangerous...not trying to scare you or anything but it sounds like this definitely needs to be addressed even though that might be difficult to do.
    Yeah i'm not freaked out or anything, its getting annoying more than anything.
    Something def. needs to be done I just gotta figure out how I'm going to do it..
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    haffajappa wrote:

You should look for his name in the sex offenders data base. He could be grooming you, probably a pedaphile, and now that it's getting darker earlier, more likely to strike when you close, be very careful going home, and don't depend on mace as most of these creeps have already built up a tolerance. I use to lock up sex offenders and this fits the profile. There is no such thing as enough paranoia these days!
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    haffajappa wrote:

There is no reason NOT to take this seriously. That sounds totally creepy. You should get a manager to talk to him maybe. But don't be afraid to get the police involved. And that's just judging by those very inappropriate comments.
  • he's probably harmless, but you need to keep safe, so he HAS to be dealt with, and it's your boss' job to protect his staff. if YOU do something about it, he might become beligerent and start following you home or aggressively harassing you or something.

pedophiles, as I understand it, go after kids, not younger adults.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    If nothing else, he's loitering. He's not interested in buying stuff, so he has no business in there, except inappropriate business. He needs to be told to leave. Get a guy to stay in there with you, get your manager, get your boyfriend. This is creepy and the guy is being inappropriate and taking advantage of the fact that you work there and can't leave the place. Call the police if necessary. Trust your gut if you're getting a bad vibe - our gut feelings aren't usually wrong.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Tell him to fuck off if you feel his actions are inappropriate and/or you feel uncomfortable....or if you just can't stand the motherfucker...I don't get the reason for the reluctance..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Yikes. Do NOT ignore this. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up just from reading this... You can't be too careful, as there is no way to really know what another person is capable of doing. If he is not respecting your feelings or boundaries, there is no reason to respect his. At the very least, report him to the police as a suspicious person or even as a loiterer. You never know - he may be doing this to other people in the community, too, and someone needs to fight back. Be safe out there.
    You will be no one's rival....

~Cincinnati, US Bank Arena - June 24, 2006~
    ~Chicago, United Center - Aug. 24, 2009~
    ~Columbus, Nationwide Arena - May 6, 2010~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 3, 2011~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 4, 2011~
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    get the champ to have a talk with him
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    chadwick wrote:
    get the champ to have a talk with him

Well, the original poster may very well have a problem with me as well, but I'd appreciate the common courtesy of 'fuck off' if my off-beat advances fell on deaf ears....don't encourage the fucker by failing to set boundaries....be decisive..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    haffajappa wrote:
    ...But at what point do i tell him to fuck off? I'm always thinking it...

youre at that point now. perhaps past it. speak to your boss about them possibly staying back to observe this creep and then stepping in and having a quiet word to this creep. that way it doesnt look like you ratted him out. this needs to stop NOW.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    It sounds like you might feel awkward about saying something because the interactions didn't start off entirely inappropriate. But it's so far over the line now.

If your manager isn't available to help you, maybe you could go with direct eye contact and, "this topic is extremely uncomfortable for me. I am going to give my attention to (the customer, restocking, a dust bunny, whatever) so please excuse me."

I did something like that with a crazy woman who approached me at a train station and wouldn't leave me alone. I said, "I'm uncomfortable with this conversation. I'm going over there. Please don't follow me." I was quite clear in my tone, and I couldn't believe that it actually worked.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    It sounds like you might feel awkward about saying something because the interactions didn't start off entirely inappropriate. But it's so far over the line now.

If your manager isn't available to help you, maybe you could go with direct eye contact and, "this topic is extremely uncomfortable for me. I am going to give my attention to (the customer, restocking, a dust bunny, whatever) so please excuse me."

I did something like that with a crazy woman who approached me at a train station and wouldn't leave me alone. I said, "I'm uncomfortable with this conversation. I'm going over there. Please don't follow me." I was quite clear in my tone, and I couldn't believe that it actually worked.

Kick Ass!!! Some times i do this at work when i'm bored, just to F with my Co-Workers.

Wait whats the name of this thread?
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Please do something now. If what he says/does makes you feel uncomfortable then it is innapproriate for him to continue. Even better record some of what he says so you have something to give to your employer so they can understand why it is it makes you uncomfortable.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    put an end to it now ...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    CREEPY indeed. I would tell the manager about it and have the manager deal with the problem.
    Carry pepper spray when you are alone. In a place where you can use it. Not the bottom of your purse like my wife.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Sounds like some Scottish dude who posts often on this site...Can't put my finger on a name...
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    RESTRAINING ORDER!!!!!
    NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edward vedder would not put up with this prick hangin out at his wife's workplace
    just sayin...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I'm sorry, haffajappa. I didn't mean to freak you out, but I'm very shy and don't know how to talk directly to girls.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I'm sorry, haffajappa. I didn't mean to freak you out, but I'm very shy and don't know how to talk directly to girls.

First tip, look'em in the eye and stop staring at there chest.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    haffajappa wrote:

The common phrase for this is 'sexual harassment'

Exactly. He's already pushing a boundary too far. Doesn't matter if he's a customer, he's still harassing you, and something can be done.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • He may just be socially awkward but but he may very well be more dangerous than that. I think you should talk to management for sure and see if they can have him banned. At the very least you should start walking away from him and yes tell him you are busy etc...
  • I had a regular client come up behind me yesterday, as I was with a different client, put his hand on my back and whisper very silently in my ear, "Just so you know, even though I will be with her, I will be thinking about you the whoooollee time." Not only is he creepy, he is at least 60 years old. He constantly calls me sweety and baby which is just weird, but this was a bit worse.

I really didn't know what to do, so I laughed it off and said, "Yeah, okay crazy man!"

And also, two days ago, I had another regular client who is 13 years old, telling me that he spent the day in in-school suspension for stealing an autistic boys hat and throwing in a tree and also for slapping a girl's ass. I told him that I wished the girls would have kicked him in the balls because that is completely unacceptable. He then told me that she belonged in the kitchen, just like I should be as well.... right where I belonged. I looked him square in the face and told him, "Look around, you over-privelaged little shit... you're surrounded by women. You say shit like that again, I WILL cut you and punch you in the face. I am not going to allow you to speak that way. And I hope that you cock off to the wrong person and hope you get yours." He didn't have anything else to say after that....

Some people's kids... :roll:

Anyways, speak up! You win some, you lose some.
    I have yet to figure out what to do about the old fuck, but he doesn't worry me.
    Luckily, we have the right to refuse service and but also aren't aloud to remain on site solo. I have had to ask my boss to speak to clients before if what I was saying wasn't working. Be safe though. I wouldn't feel comfortable being alone with someone like that.