127 hours

BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
It's only being shown in a few theaters nationwide unfortuntly.

Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.

This is a film that is so perfect as both a visceral and sensory experience that it's almost impossible to say anything more than, if you think you can handle watching a guy cutting his own arm off to escape certain death, you're going to love Danny Boyle's magnificent 127 HOURS. Condensed to a 90-minute package of unwasted moment, Boyle hands us not only one of the greatest performances of the year--James Franco as real-life mountain climber/guide Aron Ralston--but also something that goes far beyond a simple retelling the facts of Ralston's accident that had him pinned by his arm in crevice well out of the reach of any potential rescue.

Boyle doesn't deny us the highlights of Ralston's almost unbelievable story (adapted from his book by Boyle and Simon Beaufoy, who wrote Boyle's SLUMDOG MILLIONAIREl as well as THE FULL MONTY), such as his survivalist skills kicking into high gear. As strange as it may sound, if this accident was going to happen to anyone, it's a good thing it was Ralston, who knew how to conserve the water he had, create a system of straps to make it possible for him to sleep, and ultimately have the fortitude to do what it took to free himself from certain peril. But Boyle is perhaps even more interested in Ralston's mental collapse due to lack of water and looking death straight in the eyes. The filmmakers recreate some of Ralston's hallucinations of the real (his family, an old girlfriend, two girls he met just before the accident) and the ridiculous (Scooby Doo, a rain-triggered flash flood that helps him escape, but not really).

Ralston also did a somewhat thorough job documenting his own dilemma thanks to a video camera and digital camera he brought with him, on which he recorded his surroundings and personal message to his family that he believed would only be seen after his death. I've certainly seen Franco do some fairly remarkable things in his acting career, but nothing quite prepared me for the lengths he goes to to capture this experience. There's a purely fictional moment when Ralston creates both sides of a radio interview with himself that should be shown in acting classes around the world.

Perhaps better than any other filmmaker working today, Boyle (28 DAYS LATER, SUNSHINE, TRAINSPOTTING) had the remarkable ability to to harness the chaos of turmoil, to make it something we can taste and smell and certainly hear. In 127 HOURS, the moment I realized just how deep this experience went was during the arm-cutting sequence, which isn't as gory or bloody as you might believe. However, when Ralston hits an exposed nerve deep in his arm and experiences pure pain, Boyle punctuates that moment with piercing guitar feedback, which is, of course, exactly what genuine pain sounds like. It fills the ears and makes them ring for hours. And don't even get me started on trying to wrap my head around what Ralston had to do to himself just prior to cutting his arm so that he was able to preserve his elbow.

People have told me that they love Franco dearly but refuse to see 127 HOURS because they don't think they can handle it (maybe they've heard the stories about fainting audience members at festival screenings). To paraphrase Jason Segel, gently remove your tampon and go see this movie (I dare Fox Searchlight to put that quote on their posters). Don't tell me good films mean something to you and then skip one of the best things you'll see this year. This is not a horror film, and the scene that you're so damn worried about only lasts a couple of minutes and is followed by some of the most glorious and celebratory scenes you'll see all year.

The movie is meant to shake you up, but not because of the gore. It's the total experience. Both Boyle and Franco are master craftsmen who are giving us the best work of their career, and they put us deep inside Aron Ralston's fractured mind and force us to wonder how we would have held up under circumstances. I think I would have lasted about five minutes. 127 HOURS is meant to blow your mind, and give you an experience you so rarely get these days in a movie theater. Without resorting to 3D or vibrating seats or whatever, Danny Boyle puts us in that hole in the earth. The escape route is clear and yet entirely unreachable. I hope if I ever find myself in a similar situation, James Franco is right there next to me showing me where to put the knife for that first cut. You will squirm, but you will be a better person for having seen 127 HOURS.

-- Capone
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:capone@aintitcool.com">capone@aintitcool.com</a><!-- e -->
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I cannot wait to see this. I read Travers article in Rolling Stone last week and he loved it. Franco's going to be making great films for years to come. Not a huge Danny Boyle fan, but really looking forward to this one.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • I cannot wait to see this. I read Travers article in Rolling Stone last week and he loved it. Franco's going to be making great films for years to come. Not a huge Danny Boyle fan, but really looking forward to this one.

Yeah, this looks good. I've seen that Franco fella in some good rolls, I like his abilities.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I can't wait to see this.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,823
    When I first saw the trailer for this, it looked ok. But hearing it's getting great reviews, might have to see this.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • I read Ralston's book a few years ago and I'm interested in seeing the movie...except maybe the graphic parts. :sick:
  • I just saw this movie last night, it is amazing! after all the reports of people fainting/throwing up during it, I was fully prepared to cover my eyes. but it really isn't THAT gory, in fact I know this is going to sound weird, but it was kind of fascinating to watch. I did flinch and look away a couple times, though. great filmwork, and great acting my james franco as well. he's always been an actor that I look forward to seeing, and I think he really takes it to the next level with this one.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    a buddy of mine saw this last weekend, it sounds awesome, but intense.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,597

awesome, but intense...?

are you insinuating you have a problem with movies that are intense?
    www.myspace.com
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

awesome, but intense...?

are you insinuating you have a problem with movies that are intense?

ya because then my wife won't go see them in the theatre, and then 5 months later i rent tham, but ya know she doesn't wana watch that, so i gotta wait for her to fall asleep, then buy the time i do see them it will be 1 in the morning and i'm pretty drunk and end up scared and alone on the couch.

did you ever have to pee but were to scared to go to the bathroom? that sucks,
    Well I finally saw this today. Great movie, highly recommended! There were some "graphic/gross" scenes nothing too bad though. James Franco did an outstanding job. I'm really liking his work a lot.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    like everyone else who hasn't seen it can't wait
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • I REALLY want to see this one!
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • I saw the guy who produced it on Jimmy Fallon and then later on Carson Daly. I really want to see this. It looks awesome.
  • I watched the preview on my phone..looks good

I remember the story about the dude...unbelievable
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I want to see this but every time I see the trailer I feel dizzy ... really like Danny Boyle films though so will probably go see it and take a coat to hide in should I need to :oops:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • I'd love to see this as well. Can someone enlighten me as to what other good roles Franco has played? Everytime I see him I can only think of the Batman movies, nothing else comes to mind.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I don't think I could stomach it. Would love to see it, but I'd be vomiting for sure.

Incredible story though, I've read extensively about it.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I remember when this thing happened back in 2003. It was all over here in Utah.

Aron Ralston is a living badass.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Franco is great!! Love him! He was on Freaks and Geeks, he also played the pot dealer in Pineapple Express. Oh and he was Harvey Milk's lover in MILK. Great Actor!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    PJPixie wrote:
    Franco is great!! Love him! He was on Freaks and Geeks, he also played the pot dealer in Pineapple Express. Oh and he was Harvey Milk's lover in MILK. Great Actor!

MILK was a fantastic film, and Franco really was awesome in it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    Great in Freaks & Geeks. Heard he was also real good portraying James Dean in the movie. I liked him in the Spiderman films as well.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • AMMMMMAZING MOVIE!! everything about it the cinemotography the way it went into his childhood, the part about the rock waiitng for him his whole life. LOVVED IT.
    and I love james franco, anyone ever seen Freaks and Geeks? Loved him on that, he was a cute boy thats for sure.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • called that sleeping monkey encore, everyone in the theater was impressed.
  • I'd love to see this as well. Can someone enlighten me as to what other good roles Franco has played? Everytime I see him I can only think of the Batman movies, nothing else comes to mind.

do you mean the Spiderman movies? ;) yeah he was okay in those, but as a few people already said, he is great also in Freaks and Geeks, Milk, and PIneapple Express. also he was James Dean in a great tv movie about Dean's life, really impressive stuff. he kills it whenever he's on SNL too....jeez can you tell I'm a fan or what? :oops:
  • jammergirl wrote:
    I'd love to see this as well. Can someone enlighten me as to what other good roles Franco has played? Everytime I see him I can only think of the Batman movies, nothing else comes to mind.

do you mean the Spiderman movies? ;) yeah he was okay in those, but as a few people already said, he is great also in Freaks and Geeks, Milk, and PIneapple Express. also he was James Dean in a great tv movie about Dean's life, really impressive stuff. he kills it whenever he's on SNL too....jeez can you tell I'm a fan or what? :oops:
    Sorry, yea, I meant Spiderman. Dont think I ever watched Freaks & Geeks. I'll check out Milk and PE.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • As an obsessive film buff, I can say that 127 Hours is the best movie I've seen in 2010. I wasn't sure the story would make a good film, but I was wrong. Franco was astounding in it, and Danny Boyle really did a fantastic job of keeping the audience on the edge of it's seat even though everyone knows how the story ends. In a perfect world, this would win best picture, actor and director this year.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987
    jammergirl wrote:
    I'd love to see this as well. Can someone enlighten me as to what other good roles Franco has played? Everytime I see him I can only think of the Batman movies, nothing else comes to mind.

Just off the top of my head, as said above, Milk, and City By The Sea.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,684
    Saw the movie....loved it!! Got to see it here in Boulder where afterwards Aron did a Q & A which was fun and interesting.
    Now it's time to read the book.

Aron is a regular customer of mine and seems to be a funny outgoing guy which the movie was dead on about.
    He still has one whacky sense of humor.
    He said he almost never wears his prosthetic anymore.
    saw it tonight. great movie. loved it. tough watching him chop off his arm though....

i saw it with my brother and there were maybe 14 people total in the theater........fucking half of them talked the whole time. these were older people too. not some young punks. the guy in front of us would say stupid cliche shit like "DON'T DO IT!" to his wife. at the time when franco experienced the sunlight for the first time since being stuck he leans into the wife and goes "he must have been quite cold." :roll: :x ....then this old couple to our right basically had a running conversation through out the entire film--and it wasn't whispering. they were fucking talking. there was a bass and a baritone to their cadence. it was awful. i shushed them multiple times to no avail. my brother gave a few violent shushes. and this was a movie about a dude stuck in a canyon. not a lot of noise for long stretches of time people. at one point, when 3 different sets of people were talking i dumbfoundedly turned to my brother and said "this is unbelievable. these are the worst movie goers i've ever watched a movie with."

great movie. terrible audience.
    www.myspace.com
    I watched the preview on my phone..looks good
    le

imagine all the weird looks you would get if you said this sentence in 1995. :|
    www.myspace.com