Sloan

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited April 2013 in Other Music
This is one awesome band. Underrated for sure. Their most recent releases are a 5 song EP of new material, called the Hit & Run EP (one of the band members was the victim of a hit and run accident), for $3.99, and also a slew of b-sides called B-Sides Win. 26 tracks. $9.99. Well worth it. They both also come with digital booklets.

Check em out!

http://www.sloanmusic.com
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on
«1

Comments

  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,605
    Love Sloan...loved them for years...

    They're the real deal.

    In my mind they are truly "CANADA'S BAND"
    more so than the Tragically Hip...there's no comparrison. Sloan blows them outta the water.

    Great live band too.
  • Saw them this summer at a festival, were an absolute blast!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NamiNami NewfoundlandPosts: 5,762
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Love Sloan...loved them for years...

    They're the real deal.

    In my mind they are truly "CANADA'S BAND"
    more so than the Tragically Hip...there's no comparrison. Sloan blows them outta the water.

    Great live band too.

    Wow.... strong statement but also your opinion. Sloans is a great band from Canada

    BUT

    TTH is Canada- but thats my opinion as well. :D
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • All Used Up, one of two new songs from their first compilation, A Sides Win, is one rocking kick ass song.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Ah, you just shocked me. But now I'm relieved.

    There is a famous guy called Sloan doing gas hydrates research and as I'm doing my grad study project in gas hydrates being stressed and freaked out and contemplating to escape to the jungle I just thought: WTF does this guy do on the TC BOARD????

    But luckily it's a band :)
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 31,428
    edited November 2016
    Not too familiar with them except they've been around for awhile and have that one song, "Who Taught You To Live Like That"

    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • love Sloan, miss Sloan, can not buy through itunes for some reason, have some great tunes
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Love Sloan...loved them for years...

    They're the real deal.

    In my mind they are truly "CANADA'S BAND"
    more so than the Tragically Hip...there's no comparrison. Sloan blows them outta the water.

    Great live band too.


    U seriously must be joking.....although Sloan is a great Canadian band, they don't hold a candle to the Hip live....TTH DEFINES being Canadian......as far as live, you're right, there is no comparison, u just got it backwards......saw Sloan live last year and even though they're show was fun and they are great musicians, the setlist was terrible....
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,605
    maynardsux wrote:
    U seriously must be joking.....although Sloan is a great Canadian band, they don't hold a candle to the Hip live....TTH DEFINES being Canadian......as far as live, you're right, there is no comparison, u just got it backwards......saw Sloan live last year and even though they're show was fun and they are great musicians, the setlist was terrible....

    No I'm not actually.

    Sloan is better band.
    They're better live and they make better records

    They Hip hasn't made anything of note in at least 10 years..

    Don't get me wrong...I dig the Hip every bit as much as the next guy.
    But how exactly does the HIP define Canada?

    1) Because a bunch a people go to their shows and obnoxiously wave Canadian Flags, Drink Labatt's, and then puke all over their Maple Leaf Jersey's?

    2) Because the have a song that references Bill Barilko?

    I know alot of people love them and all...but I never got the whole "Canada's Band" thing.
    They are Canadian Legends...Yes
    They are a great band...Yes

    But they don't define anyting about Canada or being Canadian to me

    Actually neither does Sloan...I retract that statement..

    They're just good bands...good music

    Country doesn't play a factor in any of it.
  • I think it's more that they are seen as Canada's band outside of the country. Go anywhere and you tell them you are Canadian and they'll ask you about the Hip. It's just an identity thing. They have written classic songs about Canadiana, so that makes them more identifiable with Canada than any other band, in the country and out.

    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    maynardsux wrote:
    U seriously must be joking.....although Sloan is a great Canadian band, they don't hold a candle to the Hip live....TTH DEFINES being Canadian......as far as live, you're right, there is no comparison, u just got it backwards......saw Sloan live last year and even though they're show was fun and they are great musicians, the setlist was terrible....

    No I'm not actually.

    Sloan is better band.
    They're better live and they make better records

    They Hip hasn't made anything of note in at least 10 years..

    Don't get me wrong...I dig the Hip every bit as much as the next guy.
    But how exactly does the HIP define Canada?

    1) Because a bunch a people go to their shows and obnoxiously wave Canadian Flags, Drink Labatt's, and then puke all over their Maple Leaf Jersey's?

    2) Because the have a song that references Bill Barilko?

    I know alot of people love them and all...but I never got the whole "Canada's Band" thing.
    They are Canadian Legends...Yes
    They are a great band...Yes

    But they don't define anyting about Canada or being Canadian to me

    Actually neither does Sloan...I retract that statement..

    They're just good bands...good music

    Country doesn't play a factor in any of it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Sloan is better band.
    They're better live and they make better records

    They Hip hasn't made anything of note in at least 10 years..

    I've seen both bands several times. And while I agree that the Hip's best music is probably behind them, it's a tough claim to make that they aren't one of the best live acts around. I'd say they blow Sloan out of the water on that one.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,605
    Paul David wrote:
    I've seen both bands several times. And while I agree that the Hip's best music is probably behind them, it's a tough claim to make that they aren't one of the best live acts around. I'd say they blow Sloan out of the water on that one.


    The HIP are a great live band, and they put on a great rock show; no doubt.

    But they are nowhere near the the top 10 as far as live bands that I've seen.

    Actually...Sloan isn't in the top 10 either...but they rank higher than the HIP

    Just my opinion.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,605
    Paul David wrote:
    I think it's more that they are seen as Canada's band outside of the country. Go anywhere and you tell them you are Canadian and they'll ask you about the Hip

    Don't take this the wrong way...but The HIP isn't very famous outside the Canadian border...most people don't even know who the fuck they are in the USA.

    They do well in border towns like Buffalo, Detroit, and Port Huron...and that's only because the audience is made up of mostly Canadians.
  • ok, check that. anywhere but the US.
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    I think it's more that they are seen as Canada's band outside of the country. Go anywhere and you tell them you are Canadian and they'll ask you about the Hip

    Don't take this the wrong way...but The HIP isn't very famous outside the Canadian border...most people don't even know who the fuck they are in the USA.

    They do well in border towns like Buffalo, Detroit, and Port Huron...and that's only because the audience is made up of mostly Canadians.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Not too familiar with them except they've been around for awhile and have that one song, "Who Taught You To Live Like That"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avhFyFm3Nj8
    Huh, I always thought that if Sloan had a that one song it would be Money City Maniacs. It's the only Sloan song that I recognized when I started listening to them in 05.
  • nippleholicnippleholic TorontoPosts: 1,065
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
  • they just released a "hardcore package" that includes a 7" vinyl of 2 new songs, a digital download of 12 cover songs and a t shirt from that era.


    PACKAGE INCLUDES:
    -Hardcore 7" vinyl featuring 2 new Sloan songs + digital download (Limited to 500 hand-numbered copies)
    -12-song hardcore covers album (digital - an exclusive link will be emailed to you shortly after purchase).
    -Limited edition "Sloan Circa 1985" T-shirt.

    TRACK LIST

    Jenny
    A-Side: Jenny
    B-Side: It's In You, It's In Me.

    Bonus Digital Download includes 12 Hardcore Cover songs of the bands that were the soundtrack to Sloan’s youth.

    1.Gas Chamber [Angry Samoans (Inside My Brain 1980)]
    2. Filler [Minor Threat (Minor Threat ep 1981)]
    3. Gimme Sopor [Angry Samoans (Inside My Brain 1980)]
    4. Bully [7 Seconds (The Crew 1984)]
    5. Retrospect [Gray Matter (Food For Thought 1984)]
    6. Catalina [The Descendents (Milo Goes To College 1982)]
    7. Fountains [The Nils (Sell Out Young ep 1985)]
    8. This Is The Angry [7 Seconds (The Crew 1984)]
    9. Hot Cars [Angry Samoans (Inside My Brain 1980)]
    10. Nervous Breakdown [Black Flag (Nervous Breakdown ep 1978)]
    11. Wasted [Circle Jerks (Group Sex 1980)]
    12. We're Only Gonna Die [Bad Religion (How Could Hell Be Any Worse? 1982)]
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • vinyl is sold out!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • nippleholicnippleholic TorontoPosts: 1,065
    Just released their 11th studio album, Commonwealth. It's a double-album too. @-)
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
  • Triumph is CanaDAS BAND!!!
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 31,428

    eeriepadave" said:
    Not too familiar with them except they've been around for awhile and have that one song, "Who Taught You To Live Like That"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avhFyFm3Nj8
    Huh, I always thought that if Sloan had a that one song it would be Money City Maniacs. It's the only Sloan song that I recognized when I started listening to them in 05.

    hmmm always thought Who taught was their biggest hit. Apparently it didn't even make the billboard charts. The one radio station near me played that song a lot that year.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • nippleholicnippleholic TorontoPosts: 1,065
    Saw them last night and picked up a copy of their new album:

    image


    IF ANYONE HAS VINYL COPIES OF THEIR ALBUMS THAT THEY'RE LOOKING TO GET RID OF, I'M LOOKING!
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon In My PlacePosts: 19,250

    Triumph is CanaDAS BAND!!!

    Barf.
    Headstones and Watchmen Fan Boy
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon In My PlacePosts: 19,250
    anyone heard Commonwealth yet? how is it?
    Headstones and Watchmen Fan Boy
  • nippleholicnippleholic TorontoPosts: 1,065
    paulonious wrote: »
    anyone heard Commonwealth yet? how is it?

    I've heard it and think Chris and Jay's sides are the best. Andrew's side is ambitious (17-minute song), but not particularly memorable. Patrick's side is his typical songwriting, but not bad.
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon In My PlacePosts: 19,250
    listening to them right now.
    Headstones and Watchmen Fan Boy
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon In My PlacePosts: 19,250
    Sloan's EP Hit & Run being issued on vinyl for first time. including a 6 bonus track "Get Out Of Bed". first 300 on yellow transluscent vinyl. I didn't buy it, as with shipping it comes to a staggeing $32 US. But some vinyl freaks might want it. 
    Headstones and Watchmen Fan Boy
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon In My PlacePosts: 19,250
    12 Days of Sloan. 
    1. live stream of their show at the Phoenix
    2. holiday playlist on spotify
    3. new single - Act Your Ages (presumably, based on the artwork, an outtake from last spring's "12")
    4. Day Off diary
    Headstones and Watchmen Fan Boy
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon In My PlacePosts: 19,250
    touring playing Navy Blues in full. Coming here Oct 18. Taking my 71 year old dad. 
    Headstones and Watchmen Fan Boy
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon In My PlacePosts: 19,250
    hey @nippleholic, do you have any of their digital releases? I bought B sides Win and Hardcore Covers and the Hit and Run EP, all of which (I think) come with digital booklets. In a pc crash, I lost 3 tracks off B Sides, and all the digital books. Can ya help a brother out? I really don't want to have to re-purchase all of it just to get the books. I reached out to the band with no response. 
    Headstones and Watchmen Fan Boy
Sign In or Register to comment.