Anybody up for book swapping?

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
At my old work, someone was involved in a 'book swap'...there was a list of names and addresses and when you finished a book, you add your name on the bottom of the list and send/mail your book to the first person on the list. Kinda like a chain letter, I thought it was silly...what if I got stuck with a romance novel? :evil:

I was thinking, why not post in this thread, what books you have and are willing to trade for someone else's books...maybe post books you're looking for? Give the title, author and blurb about the book itself, your thoughts, etc...Cheaper than buying a new book for yourself, and it's being 'green'...(or even a good way to get rid of a book a friend told you you 'HAVE' to read, and you found it to be utterly BORING)

thoughts?
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i think this is a good idea but i doubt i could part with any of my books... not even for one in return.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,021
    PJ forum library? Is that it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    this is interesting

hard to let go of books
  • this is interesting

hard to let go of books

This is true. I have issues even lending them out. :?
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
    this is interesting

hard to let go of books

:lol:

i dont. it used to be an issue then i decided never to do it again. issue nonexistant. problem solved. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • this is interesting

hard to let go of books

:lol:

i dont. it used to be an issue then i decided never to do it again. issue nonexistant. problem solved. ;)8-)

Ha. Well I have definite rules about lending. ONLY to my roommate, favourite professors and fellow grad students who are equally anal about books and do not bring them to the pub. NEVER to undergrads, non-school friends or family members.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I try to pass them on unless they are truly near and dear to my heart. It makes me feel better about buying them if I know they aren't going to linger for decades on our makeshift bookcases in the attic, gathering dust.

I miss my former neighbor, she and her husband were retired and avid readers. I loved bringing books over to them...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    I try to pass them on unless they are truly near and dear to my heart. It makes me feel better about buying them if I know they aren't going to linger for decades on our makeshift bookcases in the attic, gathering dust.

I miss my former neighbor, she and her husband were retired and avid readers. I loved bringing books over to them...

send them to me instead. ;):lol:8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

send them to me instead. ;):lol:8-)

Can't mail them to Australia. I use flattened teeth as bookmarks and I'm afraid your government prohibits the mailing of teeth.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I dont own books....unless you count the library. I can send you of those, but i will need in back next week
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    I dont own books....unless you count the library. I can send you of those, but i will need in back next week

next week??? our library lends for 3 weeks.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Can't mail them to Australia. I use flattened teeth as bookmarks and I'm afraid your government prohibits the mailing of teeth.

ewww that is so gross. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 81 wrote:

Ha, I believe my university library actually gives grad students 3 months for up to 100 books at a time. So technically, I really COULD ship them to Australia and back. The only thing about basically being able to keep 100 books for an entire semester is that I'm starting to need a new bookcase in which to keep all of my theory and criticism. It's hard to keep track of all these secondary books for three different research essays, PLUS all the stuff for my own major research project outside of the coursework. Sheesh! :?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

Depends on the book. Hot hot books are only a week i think. Most are three.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Depends on the book. Hot hot books are only a week i think. Most are three.

bonfire of the vanities. hot or not? :think: ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    81 wrote:

Ha, I believe my university library actually gives grad students 3 months for up to 100 books at a time. So technically, I really COULD ship them to Australia and back. The only thing about basically being able to keep 100 books for an entire semester is that I'm starting to need a new bookcase in which to keep all of my theory and criticism. It's hard to keep track of all these secondary books for three different research essays, PLUS all the stuff for my own major research project outside of the coursework. Sheesh! :?

that is outrageous.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • If you're girlfriend/wife's name is Book then count me in.

• Ha, I believe my university library actually gives grad students 3 months for up to 100 books at a time. So technically, I really COULD ship them to Australia and back. The only thing about basically being able to keep 100 books for an entire semester is that I'm starting to need a new bookcase in which to keep all of my theory and criticism. It's hard to keep track of all these secondary books for three different research essays, PLUS all the stuff for my own major research project outside of the coursework. Sheesh! :?

that is outrageous.

Haha, I know! But pretty damn useful too.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    this is interesting

hard to let go of books

I know...that's why I said a book your friend told you you 'have' to read and you found utterly boring...I have some books I inherited somewhere, and don't care for any more...though it's funny, someone here was going on and on about Bill Bryson and I came across one of his books in a box that someone gave to me to read yes I still need to read it. I do have a a few books I need to give to somebody...ok, whose on my holiday card list...you're getting a book instead.... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I've got this great book called The Book Thief... Any takers?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    I've got this great book called The Book Thief... Any takers?

{{{AHEM}}} :roll:

- Christopher McCandless
  • 4and20 wrote:

{{{AHEM}}} :roll:
    I am going to be in soooo much trouble :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif

Thanks buddy, I've already got it. :twisted:

And 4x20, re Bill Bryson... that was me :x

Thanks buddy, I've already got it. :twisted:

And 4x20, re Bill Bryson... that was me :x

I was gonna say 'unlost'...but then if I did then it wouldn't have been you and then you'd be mad....oh piddly-fickets! :lol:

- Christopher McCandless
  • bd is a bum

you need to finish a book before you swap it....

and how dare you swap a gift from a friend....even if i got it sent from some old woman in the states. :lol:
    bd is a bum

you need to finish a book before you swap it....

and how dare you swap a gift from a friend....even if i got it sent from some old woman in the states. :lol:

:think: was that me?
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I'll swap a book. Hubby is always at me to have a clear out.

I gave my copy of The Book Thief to a Swedish girl called Maria so I won't pass that on. But it would be great to pass on a book I've really enjoyed to someone that would appreciate it.
    Claireack wrote:
    I'll swap a book. Hubby is always at me to have a clear out.

I gave my copy of The Book Thief to a Swedish girl called Maria so I won't pass that on. But it would be great to pass on a book I've really enjoyed to someone that would appreciate it.

i have a copy of 'The Nanny Diaries' it's a NY Times #1 best seller....

- Christopher McCandless
    Anybody want "Marley & Me?" I'll warn you, the end is sad.