Giving My First Lecture...

One Song GloryOne Song Glory Posts: 710
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I will be stepping into professorial shoes for the first time next Monday morning. I've done seminar presentations for the same length of time in my Honours and MA classes but this will be my first official lecture. The prof I TA for is going to a conference so I shall be babysitting the kiddies and teaching Tennyson's "Ulysses" (while frantically trying to finish the much more intimidating 1000-page version for my own class). Has anyone seen the Canadian film "One Week"? Where the protagonist reads this very poem in a booming, passionate voice to an uninspired high school English class? I foresee that being my experience on Monday, but with third-year undergrads. :? Any thoughts?
2003: Toronto
2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
2006: Toronto 1 & 2
2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
2010: Buffalo
2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
2016: Toronto 1 & 2
2022: Hamilton/Toronto
2023: EV Seattle 1&2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    picture the class in their underwear
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I get lectured plenty, however I have no advice for ya.

Maybe "Don't drink so much then"
  • 81 wrote:
    picture the class in their underwear

Haha, probably NOT the best way to go. :?
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Got nothing, no matter how many I've done, I always get knots and butterflies along with doubts beforehand.

But you know what, it always all turns out OK...and I'm sure your will too.

Just be passionate, or pretend to be at the very least, and you'll be a hit. :D

Pretend it's PJ your speaking on. lol! Works, it does.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Well, if I’ve learned anything from the rapid disintegration of the American attention span, you are going to need fireworks and car chases to keep them riveted. Ok, so NASCAR already figured that one out. Hmmm, in that case, just have a race playing on a big screen behind you. To your eyes, it will seem like people are paying attention.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    This is not helpful at all, but I'm just curious as to what class this is that you're lecturing in?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I teach college @ night.

I do a form of edu-tainment, I pick on them a little just to keep it light. Also I was born with a complete disregard of what people think so that helps in public speaking.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I got it!

Instead of picturing them in THEIR underwear,

how bout you just go in YOUR underwear.

That'll keep their attention. LOL! Right?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    have fun
    good luck

make it fun and engaging
    a lot of people are afraid to get up and speak in front of others

you are not that guy
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Hey OSG, I can appreciate your discomfort. When I had to give my first big lecture to grad students, my first one as faculty, I was fine until I walked into the very formal auditorium and they were all staring at me.

I put my stuff down, walked outside, called my husband and said, "They're all staring at me!" He said, "Well, that's good. At least they aren't playing games on their cell phones."

He suggested saying, "Not that long ago, I was sitting in the seats. This is new for me, hope it will be helpful for all of us." Something along those lines.

I find it helps to walk around a lot. Avoid podium paralysis and for God's sake don't read every word off the slides.

I'm quite comfortable lecturing now. I mean, who wouldn't want to hear me go on and on and on and on?

Can I get a witness?

Yes/No?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Hey OSG, I can appreciate your discomfort. When I had to give my first big lecture to grad students, my first one as faculty, I was fine until I walked into the very formal auditorium and they were all staring at me.

I put my stuff down, walked outside, called my husband and said, "They're all staring at me!" He said, "Well, that's good. At least they aren't playing games on their cell phones."

He suggested saying, "Not that long ago, I was sitting in the seats. This is new for me, hope it will be helpful for all of us." Something along those lines.

I find it helps to walk around a lot. Avoid podium paralysis and for God's sake don't read every word off the slides.

I'm quite comfortable lecturing now. I mean, who wouldn't want to hear me go on and on and on and on?

Can I get a witness?

Yes/No?

evil.jpg
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

Can I get a witness?

Yes/No?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz hhhuuuhhh whaa oohhh zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    This is not helpful at all, but I'm just curious as to what class this is that you're lecturing in?

It's just the standard Romantic/Victorian third-year course in the undergrad program here at Carleton. Because it's a required course in the English canon, most people aren't generally all that interested...myself included. Maybe it's the field I'm specializing in, but everyone I know is looking for an excuse to study video games, pop culture and the Internet under the umbrella of "English." So the trick will be to appear like I think Victorian poetry is the greatest thing since sliced bread, while my own literary interests are pretty much 20-21st Century American/Canadian...with a specialization in Digital Humanities.

But hey, who says I can't teach Tennyson too? ;)
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    Well, if I’ve learned anything from the rapid disintegration of the American attention span, you are going to need fireworks and car chases to keep them riveted. Ok, so NASCAR already figured that one out. Hmmm, in that case, just have a race playing on a big screen behind you. To your eyes, it will seem like people are paying attention.

Ha, well my big research interest is all about flashy avant-garde techno shit...so maybe my attention span is equally shot. McLuhan tried to warn us all but we wrote him off as a lunatic. I like to think I'm not a lost cause even if I do study digital media; my favourite book is 700+ pages long AND I'm willingly reading the much scarier Ulysses for a second time.

Even though I guarantee that a crash course in Digital Humanities would blow their little minds and hold their attention, methinks I need to stick to the basics here...so that I can continue to get paid to go to school.

At least it's only a 2-page poem. They SHOULD be able to handle it. I'm not asking them to read Joyce!
  • Mission accomplished! :D
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    How did it go?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Really well actually. I can apparently fake a wealth of knowledge of Tennyson...by complementing it with tangential knowledge of everything else. :lol: And class participation was fantastic.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Congrats on a successful first lecture!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Yes, congrats! :thumbup:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    as an undergrad myself, i have seen many TA's get nervous up there. but coming first hand, don't be nervous. we're just as nervous as you are and we have no idea what's going on. good luck.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • as an undergrad myself, i have seen many TA's get nervous up there. but coming first hand, don't be nervous. we're just as nervous as you are and we have no idea what's going on. good luck.

Haha, it's done now but thanks! :) I think my biggest issue was the context of the class. It's a third-year course that I literally only took two years ago, so I'm not that much more experienced than many of the students in this class and I didn't feel qualified going in. I could absolutely lecture about my own research area with plenty of confidence, but my specialization is contemporary North American lit, specifically Digital Humanities...so my knowledge of Victorian poetry is really not all that more developed than my third-years' own knowledge. I was able to fake it well enough today and the class seemed to enjoy it. :)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Really well actually. I can apparently fake a wealth of knowledge of Tennyson...by complementing it with tangential knowledge of everything else. :lol: And class participation was fantastic.

aah... you gotta love intertextuality. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    One of my lecturers always make it fun. At the start he will have a top 10 list, gets us going. his list the other day was top 10 childrens books that will never be published. he had

The new Rohl Dahl classic 'OMG WTF BFG'

'BI Curious George and the inappropriate touch'

If you are interested, I can email you the lecture (vodcast), to see. I know that it sets the mood on what can be a boring time for students

Good luck
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Random update: The prof who completely inspired my research interest is letting me do a fucking guest lecture in his fourth-year/MASTER'S course next semester...and I'm only a Master's student myself. :shock: Holy shit!

He and I have become really good friends throughout my first grant proposal process in the fall and he's brought me into the inner circle of the super-elite (read as super-paranoid!) digital media people at my university. We were at the campus pub tonight with my research supervisor and he randomly turned to me and asked if I wanted to do a "real" lecture in his class. (Apparently Tennyson isn't "real" enough for the folks I hang out with!)

He said I can basically teach anything I want whenever I want as long as I give him enough advance notice to officially add it to the syllabus. It's a huge huge huge honour and i'm so unbelievably excited! Now THIS kind of shit I could go on and on about for 3 hours easily! AND make it interesting. :)

Becoming friends with profs clearly has its benefits! :)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    :clap::clap::clap:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Very cool. :)

I noticed you are in Ottawa, nice to find another PJ fan in the area. I just moved here in August for school.

I noticed you are in Ottawa, nice to find another PJ fan in the area. I just moved here in August for school.

Carleton or U of O?? And how are you liking it so far? Also, are you aware that we have a kick-ass marathon 12-day music festival in July? You'd better stick around for the summer! :)

Carleton or U of O?? And how are you liking it so far? Also, are you aware that we have a kick-ass marathon 12-day music festival in July? You'd better stick around for the summer! :)

I am actually take PR at Algonquin but I live near Carleton...sort of. I am a mature student so it has been interesting to say the least :lol: Are you from here? I have heard something about it and it sounds fab!! I just missed it last year as I didn't get here until August.

I am actually take PR at Algonquin but I live near Carleton...sort of. I am a mature student so it has been interesting to say the least :lol: Are you from here? I have heard something about it and it sounds fab!! I just missed it last year as I didn't get here until August.

Ah, my bad. I usually forget about Algonquin. :? I'm a veteran Carleton student (I also did my undergrad here) so this is my fifth year living in the city. I'm from the Toronto area originally and missed being around for the infamous Ottawa show by a year. :( Ottawa's definitely home now but alas, my Master's supervisor has said that he would absolutely kill me if I even apply to do my PhD here (academic suicide to do three degrees at one institution) and U of O doesn't have the proper programs, so I'll be leaving at the end of August. Ideally headed for UVic or Waterloo, although UVic is more appealing all the way around.