"Conan" Premieres on TBS

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    He's great with the cold opens.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    That was awesome. Tomorrow should also be great.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    great great show

loved it from start to finish
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• mca47 wrote:
    I love Conan, but there is no way he'll beat Jon Stewart at that timeslot...
    In October Stewart averaged more viewers per show then Leno and Letterman.
  • Great show.
    I'll be back
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,795
    loved the Pearl Jam mention. I like Jack White. But wish PJ had been the first musical guest again.
    I miss igotid88
  • This is gonna be great! Can't wait. Viva Conan. But for the record, I have always and still believe Dave is funnier than Conan.

thank you for going on record with that. the new york times is running with your quote in tomorrow's paper.
    :lol: That's fantastic. Well played.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    This is gonna be great! Can't wait. Viva Conan. But for the record, I have always and still believe Dave is funnier than Conan.

thank you for going on record with that. the new york times is running with your quote in tomorrow's paper.
    :lol: That's fantastic. Well played.
    :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    It was great to see the masterbating bear last night.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I DVR'd it as it's on at midnight here in AZ :( Stupid daily saving crap!

Anyways, I just watched it and thought it was good. Typical Conan, not much has changed...which is good in my opinion!

I really hope he brings back the edgy-ness of his old late night show. He wasn't the same on the Tonight Show...

Glad he's back! :D
  • mca47 wrote:

Anyways, I just watched it and thought it was good. Typical Conan, not much has changed...which is good in my opinion!

I really hope he brings back the edgy-ness of his old late night show. He wasn't the same on the Tonight Show...

That's what I hope too. His move to the Tonight Show really lost the edge, I read his interview in Rolling Stone and he said as much. I think this will be a better fit for him. The reason I love him is because he was so far out there in the first place!
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Isn't it beautiful? Gotta love karma.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i thought it was good. you can definitely tell that there's less production value than when he was at nbc. but it was still good. i'm going to be expecting a lot less of out of studio segments that used to be prevalent at nbc.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Isn't it beautiful? Gotta love karma.
    You know what they say...karma's a bitch.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    mca47 wrote:
    I love Conan, but there is no way he'll beat Jon Stewart at that timeslot...
    In October Stewart averaged more viewers per show then Leno and Letterman.

yes Stewart did beat Letterman in October but usually Letterman beats Stewart as he did last night. While i love Stewart, his rating all not that great. for example, he barely got over a million views Letterman beat everyone except for Conan.

Letterman is still the best IMHO
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    mca47 wrote:

That's what I hope too. His move to the Tonight Show really lost the edge, I read his interview in Rolling Stone and he said as much. I think this will be a better fit for him. The reason I love him is because he was so far out there in the first place!
    I agree that Conan on the tonight show was bad because he did lose that edge. i always said that Conan had the Letterman illness. I just hope that Conan takes what Letterman did and brings his new show more to the edge than mainstream. he will lose ratings but gain respect just like Letterman has.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://grungereport.net/?p=912

Last night on the debut of Conan on TBS there was an opening montage of host Conan O’Brien searching for a job and at one point he was working at Burger King and mentioned he used to host a show where they had great guests like Pearl Jam.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Just saw in the porch pj gonna be on conan.
    I'll be back
  • DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    DaveyG wrote:
    Yay, Conan's going to dominate cable in that timeslot, but he's probably still going to get beat out on network. Oh and by the way, tonight's musical guest has been announced as Jack White, not The White Stripes.
    i dont even know if he's gonna dominate cable... i for one am gonna stick with daily show / colbert... maybe watch the opening 20 minutes and musical guests of conan on DVR

i'm excited just to see what new stuff he comes up with tho... hopefully he lives up to all the hype

He's going to beat everybody for the first week or two, then he'll start losing to Leno and Letterman. After few months it's pretty much going to be neck and neck with him and the Daily Show/Colbert. What else is on cable at 11-12 other than reruns, Sportscenter, and cable news? Those are my predictions, he's going to be a success.
    10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    07/11/11, Paramount Theater, Oakland, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show)
    10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)
  • DaveyG wrote:
    DaveyG wrote:
    Yay, Conan's going to dominate cable in that timeslot, but he's probably still going to get beat out on network. Oh and by the way, tonight's musical guest has been announced as Jack White, not The White Stripes.
    i dont even know if he's gonna dominate cable... i for one am gonna stick with daily show / colbert... maybe watch the opening 20 minutes and musical guests of conan on DVR

i'm excited just to see what new stuff he comes up with tho... hopefully he lives up to all the hype

He's going to beat everybody for the first week or two, then he'll start losing to Leno and Letterman. After few months it's pretty much going to be neck and neck with him and the Daily Show/Colbert. What else is on cable at 11-12 other than reruns, Sportscenter, and cable news? Those are my predictions, he's going to be a success.
    Conan's 11 start time might give him an advantage though over Leno and Letterman. If people are already watching and enjoying his show, then they might not switch over until 12.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    I can't believe I fell asleep halfway through the show and missed Jack White! :oops: :evil: :lol:

Beginning was pretty funny, like the PJ ref. I think I fell asleep right before Seth Rogen came on cuz I don't remember him on it. Also when I woke up it was 12:10 :? Hopefully I can stay awake to see Soundgarden tonight. Well here's the Jack White/Conan performance in case anyone else besides me missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0Fyh5c2rk
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
    Who the hell actually watches talk shows? I know it got very trendy to be with "COCO" over the last year or so but seriously, out of all those "supporters" how many actually watched Conan regularly? Sure, he's a lot funnier than Leno or Letterman but that meant I actually watched about once every two months. There seriously had to be NOTHING else on for me to watch a late night talk show. Usually lame opening monologue/skits followed by awful celebrity interviews accompanied by fake laughter from the host then 9 times out of 10 a performance from an artist I do not care about. Just awful. I just felt that the overwhelming amount of support was a tad ridiculous considering the actual popularity of the show.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some pretty funny stuff on Conan but like Leno/Letterman/SNL its mostly pretty lame.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    It was a triumphant return to form... which means it was funny for about 15-20 minutes, and then the lame guests come on... and then maybe you stay awake for the musical guest... which is easier now, since that will happen before midnight.

Seth Rogan is funny in movies, but whenever I see him anywhere else, I can't help but think "Really?" And couldn't they have done better that the girl from Glee for the first show?? Oh well, the masturbating bear is back. All is right again with the world.
    kenny olav wrote:
    It was a triumphant return to form... which means it was funny for about 15-20 minutes, and then the lame guests come on... and then maybe you stay awake for the musical guest... which is easier now, since that will happen before midnight.

Seth Rogan is funny in movies, but whenever I see him anywhere else, I can't help but think "Really?" And couldn't they have done better that the girl from Glee for the first show?? Oh well, the masturbating bear is back. All is right again with the world.
    Have you seen Freaks and Geeks?
    :lol::lol: That skit tonight (won't ruin it for the west coasters) was funny.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    edited November 2010
    i just can't believe he'll be 50 in a couple years. Sheesh.

And the only thing trendier than "being with Team Coco" is to bash those who like the dude. Really is ironic and/or funny - that being the absurdity of it. It's not like the dude's been on the air since '93, and been a writer on SNL & The Simpsons during their peak. Yeah, Conan is a real flash in the pan. :roll:

He'll never be as funny as his 1230 slot on NBC, but it's good to see he's sticking to what he knows best, and doing it by his rules.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Soundgarden....eh
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    i just can't believe he'll be 50 in a couple years. Sheesh.

And the only thing trendier than "being with Team Coco" is to bash those who like the dude. Really is ironic and/or funny - that being the absurdity of it. It's not like the dude's been on the air since '93, and been a writer on SNL & The Simpsons during their peak. Yeah, Conan is a real flash in the pan. :roll:

He'll never be as funny as his 1230 slot on NBC, but it's good to see he's sticking to what he knows best.
    I didn't know all that. ;)

At least he can be edgier like he was on Late Night than on Tonight.