From which side of the paper do you remove a staple?

Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Even wikipedia is unclear but I believe that you do it from the back of the paper, where the staple is bent when using a staple remover.
Surprisingly, some people call it a staplER remover, which would be the act of removing the stapler, not the staple- ask around at work, see for yourself what people call it. Anyway, my boss says you do it from the front, the flat side, but to me the pointy parts of the remover are the same width apart as the bends in the staple.

What are your thoughts?
"The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,972
    ok, I'll bite. Just like the TP roll is from the top , you remove the staple from the front. One quick motion , the staple is removed.

Tell me how its done from the back. Open the bent over parts, then turn the pages over and remove the staple? Wasted motion of you ask me.

From the front , you get the teeth under the staple , press the teeth together and the staple should be removed.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Tell me how its done from the back. Open the bent over parts, then turn the pages over and remove the staple? Wasted motion of you ask me.

thats how i do it. that way you get two little holes instead of one big gash.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

That was one of the best threads Ive read on here! Cant believe I didnt catch it as it was happening.

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited March 2011
    staples the store
    Post edited by rollings on
    Half Full wrote:
    I am eagerly waiting for the reply from Catefrances when she reports back on her astonishment regarding the ability to (neatly--no gashes) remove a staple from the front of a paper without having to first unfold the tines/spokes/points from the back.

"why didn't anybody ever tell me this sooner! Thank God once again for the PJ forum"

wouldnt hold your breath on that if i were you, which thank donnie darko im not.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    how do you go about removing the staple from the front without straightening the little arms in the back first? If you do that, you'd might as well just tear off the corner of the papers cuz it leaves a big ugly gash in the corner.
    I always use the staple remover to first straighten the folded tines in the back (that's why I thought it had 2 pincers) and then turn it over and use the remover to pinch it out...that makes a nice neat finished paper. Otherwise you'd (in my office at least) have to reprint the whole document and re-staple it, cuz we're not sending out a document with giant ugly holes and tears in the top right corner. What's the point of that?

GEEZUzzz I think I just realized just how much I need a LIFE! :wtf: :? :oops: OMG who puts that much thought into staple removal? :lol: :problem:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    they key is good staple remover tool. i go from the front.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    just use papper clips and call it a day :D
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
    gearboy wrote:
    just use papper clips and call it a day :D
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    StillHere wrote:
    how do you go about removing the staple from the front without straightening the little arms in the back first? If you do that, you'd might as well just tear off the corner of the papers cuz it leaves a big ugly gash in the corner.
    I always use the staple remover to first straighten the folded tines in the back (that's why I thought it had 2 pincers) and then turn it over and use the remover to pinch it out...that makes a nice neat finished paper. Otherwise you'd (in my office at least) have to reprint the whole document and re-staple it, cuz we're not sending out a document with giant ugly holes and tears in the top right corner. What's the point of that?

GEEZUzzz I think I just realized just how much I need a LIFE! :wtf: :? :oops: OMG who puts that much thought into staple removal? :lol: :problem:

I do... that's how I do it...
    :oops:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i tear it out of there
    removing most of the corner
    sloppy and stuff but a great paper
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I will shelf my opinion until I learn how the Greeks do it.

D?
    StillHere wrote:

I do... that's how I do it...
    :oops:
    3282852300_4ddb6b06b2.jpg
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    StillHere wrote:

:oops: it doesn't when I do it. I go from the front and am just left with the two holes :?
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    chime wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

:oops: it doesn't when I do it. I go from the front and am just left with the two holes :?

chime, you must have been born with innate staple removing skills and talent :lol:
    peace,
    jo

So staple removing skills - nature or nuture?
    So staple removing skills - nature or nuture?
    :lol::lol::lol:
    peace,
    jo

Now on the off chance you staple your own flesh, there is only the "from the front" method available, unless Chadwick knows different...
    Removing a staple twice....first from the back and then from the front is nature. It just SEEMS like the way to do it.

However, if carefully nurtured, you will during your lifetime be kindly shown or told, that doing it only once, from just the front unloading position, also yields just those same two smalls holes.

I was shown this about 14 years ago, and I haven't learned nothing quite as amazing since.

(its good when the paper is flat on surface when removing the staple. A staple removed "mid-air" style will yield unstable results)
    A staple removed "mid-air" style will yield unstable results)

:lol::lol:;)
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:

you mean you haven't tried it yet? CMON! I want you to come back and Say "OMG! The totality of hours I have wasted doing it twice as long, plus the "turn over". Forgive me. And thank you PJ Forum for saving me and CateFrances once again"
    StillHere wrote:

damnit. I missed the opportunity to say "unstaple results"
    Half Full wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

you mean you haven't tried it yet? CMON! I want you to come back and Say "OMG! The totality of hours I have wasted doing it twice as long, plus the "turn over". Forgive me. And thank you PJ Forum for saving me and CateFrances once again"

OHHHHhhhhhhh....all right, i confess..i have spent tireless nights trying to get those damned staples out from the front only, and completely tearing up my documents, which is totally unacceptable, so that I've stayed up till the wee early pre-dawn hours pointlessly re-printing, rearranging and re-stapling them since I've ruined them all time after time again. And then when I pry them from the back, and then have to pull them from the front anyway, well, you're absolutely right. I hate to admit it, but that's just an uncalled for misuse of my valuable time.

So, I suppose, OH this is Sooooo hard....what i really want to say is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, 10Club and Half Full and Dissedentman and all the others here for making me realize the error of my ways. Never shall I use a staple remover from behind again. (That just sounds WRONG! lol!) If not for the lot of you I might have spent the remainder of my days unnecessarily doubling the time and trouble I actually need to accomplish this simplest of tasks, when the answer was right in front of my eyes, among my revered PJ friends the entire time, if I'd only been meek enough to ask for and accept help that was so generously offered, for my plight.

Oh thank you dear friends.

No more mid-air removal unstaple results shall I suffer. Oh the time and distress you have saved me now. Never shall I doubt your collective wisdom again, O great and respected 10C Friends.

OMG I'm so thankful and so relieved that I have finally realized the error of my ways and have become open to your teachings O Great 10C Member.

Life is forever altered for me now.

supplication02.jpg

4598771449_12df9b778a_z.jpg

(And I'll humbly accept thanks for catefrances as well, cuz she'll just tell you to stick it where the sun don't shine ROFL!!) Am I right CF? heheheheeeee
    peace,
    jo

That's better.

Now go my child, staple staple staple away.

And when that time comes when you MUST.....unstaple... you will lay your paper FLAT, top UP. That whole long side of the flat staple will be looking back at you, all neat & shit.

Youl will bless yourself AFUCKINGCHOO
    and you will remove once, flawlessly.

Amen
    StillHere wrote:
    (And I'll humbly accept thanks for catefrances as well, cuz she'll just tell you to stick it where the sun don't shine ROFL!!) Am I right CF? heheheheeeee

just deal with your own thanks thanks. if i had anything to be thankful for id let you all know.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    edited November 2010
    It will depend greatly on the staple remover you are using.

The jaws of death staple remover = Front, one swift bite and jerk it back. Kind of like jaws ripping off a swimmers leg.

The stabbing sword of mayhem staple remover = Back then Front... two back flips, one slide and a flick of the wrist. Imagine Inigo Montoya finding the man who killed his father, and do it like that.

Your fingers = too darn lazy to search through your desk drawer for a staple remover. Don't prick yourself.
    Post edited by mbangel10 on
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I take it from the front and 50% of the time I get 2 nice pin holes and the other half i rip off the corner of the paper.

Oh....my oddball boss calls it a "depleter"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • i think i need training in removing from the front without tearing the pages.

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    never hand in neat paperwork
    they will expect that type of precision every time
    always leave shitty paperwork everywhere you go
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce