Ever feel like you were destined for something MORE?

2»

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Paul David wrote:
    I know. It sounds egotistical. But I've always had this feeling that I was meant for something significant. Maybe it's the feeling of a person who isn't satisfied with what they've done so far. Cause I know I'm not. I'm not talking MLK or JFK type significance, or even EV significance. Just a difference. Not some office drone job. Which is what I do now.

Irony is, I don't believe in destiny. I believe in making your own fate. So this is totally hypocritical on top of egotistical.

I just feel like I not only NEED to make a difference, but I'm SUPPOSED to make a difference in some way. Anyone else feel like this??
    How do you know you haven't made a difference?

Everyday we create our own fate and effect the fate of those around us.

You've made a difference in my life. :D
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    pandora wrote:

:sick:
    pandora wrote:

sorry you're not feeling well handsome hatman :mrgreen:
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    pandora wrote:

Dissidentman, you can make a difference in my life. Send me a keg of beer from that bar of yours. And some of those extra-hot wings, those are good.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    pandora wrote:

Dissidentman, you can make a difference in my life. Send me a keg of beer from that bar of yours. And some of those extra-hot wings, those are good.
    JB & I are droppin in soon ;)
    gotta try them wings and things
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    pandora wrote:

Good point. I think nowadays people feel they have to be famous or something in order to achieve an impact. Even if you come and go on this planet without going down in the books, if you manage to impact a few people's lives around you, you're still doing pretty good :)
  • I don't want to be famous. I just used famous examples. Part of the motivation for this is selfish, though, as I want to feel fulfilled as well as doing something meaningful.

As the wise Friend Phoebe once said: there's no such thing as an unselfish act. ;) (Dimitris excluded)
    pandora wrote:

Good point. I think nowadays people feel they have to be famous or something in order to achieve an impact. Even if you come and go on this planet without going down in the books, if you manage to impact a few people's lives around you, you're still doing pretty good :)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Gotcha. It is selfish but not in a negative way. We all want to do what we were meant for, whatever that is! :) I feel my past has led me to where I am now, where I choose to go after this is in my control though. I feel good about where I am.
    Paul David wrote:
    I don't want to be famous. I just used famous examples. Part of the motivation for this is selfish, though, as I want to feel fulfilled as well as doing something meaningful.

As the wise Friend Phoebe once said: there's no such thing as an unselfish act. ;) (Dimitris excluded)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I have a way all of you can make a difference.

GIVE BLOOD.

I give 5 times a year and it is very satisfying knowing I have helped save hundreds of lives over the course of the last 20 + years.

It's relatively painless, and it takes about an hour.

Who can't spare an hour?

Obviously, some people can't donate for various reasons, but if you're healthy and have no other restrictions, I don't see why you wouldn't donate.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Paul David wrote:
    I know. It sounds egotistical. But I've always had this feeling that I was meant for something significant. Maybe it's the feeling of a person who isn't satisfied with what they've done so far. Cause I know I'm not. I'm not talking MLK or JFK type significance, or even EV significance. Just a difference. Not some office drone job. Which is what I do now.

Irony is, I don't believe in destiny. I believe in making your own fate. So this is totally hypocritical on top of egotistical.

I just feel like I not only NEED to make a difference, but I'm SUPPOSED to make a difference in some way. Anyone else feel like this??

Paul David, I just read your messages on the child-shaking post.
    You have two daughters that are being raised in a loving and non-violent home.
    Do you not believe that you are already doing something of the highest significance?
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I can't speak for Paul David, but I want my work to signify more meaning in particular, at least that's what I posted about earlier in the thread. I don't like the concept behind working to make a few people rich (corporate) vs. my work impacting the greater good. I do try my best to make a difference in every day situations, I would just like to do more. And it is selfish... it makes me feel better knowing I have a real impact.
    See, I think I'm successful because I'm going home and despite the many, many provocations I did not, in fact, leap over the desk and strangle the temper-tantrum throwing annoying person.

More than this... I don't know really. It's hard sometimes to see that what you're doing is for the greater good _ patient safety _ but in doing it you have to ask a lot of people a lot of difficult questions and guide them to the answers. And emotionally it's quite draining for all involved.

There, that's my deep thought for the day. It's one more deep thought than you people usually wrangle out of me, so now I'm going back to Ask The Next Poster to contribute something meaningful like "what's up for the weekend?"
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I am destined to leave work right this fucking second and head into the mountains! If I don't come back, avenge my death.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • you talk like Creed from The Office. I love it.
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I am destined to leave work right this fucking second and head into the mountains! If I don't come back, avenge my death.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • yes, but I can't put food on the table raising them right! :lol:

I feel the same as a poster above........I hate the overall negativity/pettiness/gossipy/backstabbing bullshit of an office job. I used to be a very social person when I started here 12 years ago. People are now scratching their heads wondering why I no longer attend work social shit, or go out for lunch with them or go out for drinks with them. But going out with work people inevitibly ends up having a conversation about work in some way, and I don't want that when I'm not in front of my work computer.

So it's two-fold. I don't like my job, and want to do something meaningful. Maybe I'd be able to put up with the bullshit if I felt I was doing something worthwhile. I should be a mailman. Walking around all day with my iPod. That sounds good to me. Maybe not meaningful, but you work alone! (but a mailgirl friend of mine says it's a very hard job!? Ok, Newman!).
    lettinggo wrote:
    Paul David, I just read your messages on the child-shaking post.
    You have two daughters that are being raised in a loving and non-violent home.
    Do you not believe that you are already doing something of the highest significance?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited March 2011
    once
    Post edited by rollings on
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Awake or sleeping, my dream was & is to be a rock star.

I think I still might have a chance to achieve
    being onstage singing & playing in front of an audience.

(definition of an audience
    = people.. including at least one, preferably two, people that I do not know.)
  • if we go by polls, conducted by fortune and time and other magazines, the majority of americans 70 percent go to work each day and spend a mojority of their waking hours at a job they loathe. that number is even higher among 20 year olds.

so i think its something alot of people deal with. unfortunately, it seems few people ever do anything about it. some cant, some have kids and house payments to make, but others for various other reasons go to their jobs day in and day out and cant seem to do anything about it. i fall in the latter group,

Do I feel I am destined and fated, and drawn to something more than working some dead end job, graveyard shift, at a job I hate? HELL YEAH!
    Paul David wrote:
    you like Creed. I love it.
    eyedclaar wrote:

Fixed. :mrgreen:

*ducks and runs*