Ever feel like you were destined for something MORE?

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I know. It sounds egotistical. But I've always had this feeling that I was meant for something significant. Maybe it's the feeling of a person who isn't satisfied with what they've done so far. Cause I know I'm not. I'm not talking MLK or JFK type significance, or even EV significance. Just a difference. Not some office drone job. Which is what I do now.

Irony is, I don't believe in destiny. I believe in making your own fate. So this is totally hypocritical on top of egotistical.

I just feel like I not only NEED to make a difference, but I'm SUPPOSED to make a difference in some way. Anyone else feel like this??
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2010
    i
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    you both were probably destined for something less. you should lower your expectations.
    www.myspace.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    i apologize if my above post was harsh. i did not mean it that way. i was mainly talking about chadwick. i just don't see any potential there.
    www.myspace.com
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    I think I get what you mean. I was just thinking today that jeez, is this all? I guess that's kind of the human condition & if you're thinking that it's only up to you to get of your arse & do something about it if you want more & if I had any idea what I want to, should, would rather be doing then at least I could give it a go.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    I feel the exact same. I went to Yellowstone over the summer, and kind of had an epiphany. I realized how small I am and felt very insignificant. Since then, I’ve gone from being the go-getter at work to not caring at all. Looking for a new job on a daily basis. You’re right, we’re not meant to be office drones.

I’ve since felt the need to ‘do something’ for others. I haven’t quite figured out exactly what that means yet, but I’m working on it. I’ve been researching how to give back, volunteer my time, and what not. Donating money just doesn’t do it for me. I’m very lucky to have what I have, and feel that I’ve taken it for granted. It’s time to do something.

I've began looking into organizations that could use my help. That's the first step for me. Give it a try and see if it's what you're looking for.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    meh. if you are a choosen one, you will be choosen. just live your life, enjoy what you have and don't worry about what you don't have.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i apologize if my above post was harsh. i did not mean it that way. i was mainly talking about chadwick. i just don't see any potential there.

Dear Chadwick,

I must admit i laughed at this post. However, please do not take that negativly. I still think you are a swell guy.

Your pal,
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Paul David wrote:
    I know. It sounds egotistical. But I've always had this feeling that I was meant for something significant. Maybe it's the feeling of a person who isn't satisfied with what they've done so far. Cause I know I'm not. I'm not talking MLK or JFK type significance, or even EV significance.
    I just feel like I not only NEED to make a difference, but I'm SUPPOSED to make a difference in some way. Anyone else feel like this??

maybe the thing you are on this earth for is instead of spelling out famous peoples names you just do their initials... you should change your username to PD and then god will grant you three wishes for rubbing his shiny thing
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • 81 wrote:
    meh. if you are a choosen one, you will be choosen. just live your life, enjoy what you have and don't worry about what you don't have.

just the opposite. I don't worry about what I don't have. I actually think I have too much. I've been in the process lately of getting rid of a lot of my possessions. Our consumeristic (is that even a word?) society bugs me to no end.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • this is EXACTLY it.
    loadedgun wrote:
    I feel the exact same. I went to Yellowstone over the summer, and kind of had an epiphany. I realized how small I am and felt very insignificant. Since then, I’ve gone from being the go-getter at work to not caring at all. Looking for a new job on a daily basis. You’re right, we’re not meant to be office drones.

I’ve since felt the need to ‘do something’ for others. I haven’t quite figured out exactly what that means yet, but I’m working on it. I’ve been researching how to give back, volunteer my time, and what not. Donating money just doesn’t do it for me. I’m very lucky to have what I have, and feel that I’ve taken it for granted. It’s time to do something.

I've began looking into organizations that could use my help. That's the first step for me. Give it a try and see if it's what you're looking for.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • :roll:
    dunkman wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    I know. It sounds egotistical. But I've always had this feeling that I was meant for something significant. Maybe it's the feeling of a person who isn't satisfied with what they've done so far. Cause I know I'm not. I'm not talking MLK or JFK type significance, or even EV significance.

maybe the thing you are on this earth for is instead of spelling out famous peoples names you just do their initials... you should change your username to PD and then god will grant you three wishes for rubbing his shiny thing
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • what did this say before it was edited, chadwick?
    chadwick wrote:
    i
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    No, I have exceeded my own expectations...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Well, I’m already pretty spectacular and everything, but sure, I can always accomplish a little more. :lol:
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2010
    Paul David wrote:
    what did this say before it was edited, chadwick?
    chadwick wrote:
    i
    i
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

But you have yet to exceed my expectations, son. Oh wait, you did that back when your were first able to shave your entire body and taught yourself to act like a human. Your mom misses you.

eyedclaar wrote:

But you have yet to exceed my expectations, son. Oh wait, you did that back when your were first able to shave your entire body and taught yourself to act like a human. Your mom misses you.
    Ooh ooh
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited October 2010
    I know what you're talking about. I left my corporate job in '08 after severe burnout and being fed up with the corporate structure. Unfortunately, I left right before the recession hit hard, and I had trouble finding ANY work, not to mention work that I wanted: to work for a non-profit, or anything that was involved with directly working for the greater good. I've found work, but it didn't work out, and I knew it wasn't a good fit. I'm still feeling I was meant for more substance, but currently my life is about recovering from an accident. I feel a bit lost, but can feel the direction my life is pulling me. If that makes any sense. I've just got to figure out how to actually do it.

I've read some good books about this Paul David, and I can give you the titles if you're interested! :)
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I've read some good books about this, OP, and I can give you the titles if you're interested! :)

Please do, I am interested.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
    chadwick wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    what did this say before it was edited, chadwick?
    chadwick wrote:
    i
    it said some amazing things that were disregarded and mocked
    so i removed my statement

We won't be famous until we're dead, and how we die is going to go a long way towards cementing our legacy. I'm planning something big, supernova big!

eyedclaar wrote:

We won't be famous until we're dead, and how we die is going to go a long way towards cementing our legacy. I'm planning something big, supernova big!
    Will chalk be involved?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I know what you're talking about. I left my corporate job in '08 after severe burnout and being fed up with the corporate structure. Unfortunately, I left right before the recession hit hard, and I had trouble finding ANY work, not to mention work that I wanted: to work for a non-profit, or anything that was involved with directly working for the greater good. I've found work, but it didn't work out, and I knew it wasn't a good fit. I'm still feeling I was meant for more substance, but currently my life is about recovering from an accident. I feel a bit lost, but can feel the direction my life is pulling me. If that makes any sense. I've just got to figure out how to actually do it.

I've read some good books about this Paul David, and I can give you the titles if you're interested! :)

yes, Jeanwah, please post them...

I left a corporate job to 'do something to better the lives of others'. So I took a minimum wage job working with animals. It was very fulfilling, but there was a really 'dirty' side to it as well, just like in a corporate office...unemployed right now, so I'm trying to take time to figure out something else to do....I miss the pay of a corporate job, but all the BS and drama, gossip, backstabbing, immaturity, poor management...no thanks.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    eyedclaar wrote:

Will chalk be involved?

Who told? Clearly, there is a mole in my camp.

• JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited October 2010
    loadedgun wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I've read some good books about this, OP, and I can give you the titles if you're interested! :)

Please do, I am interested.

To Be of Use by Dave Smith

Blessed Unrest by Paul Hawken

These didn't really specify how to break into the field, but rather were inspirational in following that path. To Be of Use has lots of good links in the back of the book, too.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Will chalk be involved?

Who told? Clearly, there is a mole in my camp.
    Molescram_mole_face.jpg
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    ST_Greenwood_jpg_600x600_autocrop_q85.jpg

Christopher Pike: Look, so your Dad died. You can settle for a less than ordinary life. Or do you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special? Enlist in Star Fleet.
    James T. Kirk: [scoffs] Enlist!
    [laughing]
    James T. Kirk: You guys must be way down on your recruiting quota for the month!
    Christopher Pike: You know if you're half the man your father was, Jim Star Fleet could use you. You could be an officer in four years. You could have your own ship in eight. You understand what the Federation is don't you? It's important. It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada.
    James T. Kirk: We done?
    Christopher Pike: I'm done.
    [Gets up]
    Christopher Pike: Riverside Shipyard. Shuttle for new recruits leaves tomorrow morning 0800.
    [pause]
    Christopher Pike: You know your father was Captain of a Starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives. Including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    yea the spanish girl in my dr. office and not my current "friend" :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    we all have that voice inside our heads ... the difference is some people choose to listen to it ... some don't ...

blue pill ... red pill ...

social construct dictates that you do not listen to that voice ... are you gonna listen to him?
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    polaris_x wrote:
    we all have that voice inside our heads ... the difference is some people choose to listen to it ... some don't ...

social construct dictates that you do not listen to that voice ... are you gonna listen to him?

perocet 10 or roxy 30 :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8-)
    polaris_x wrote:

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014