The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    pjhawks wrote:
    Jaegs - did you read my comments on Nova's team at all? Yes they beat temple and lasalle (although i did say take lasalle and temple and the points along with saying Nova would lose, so for gambling purposes i am 2-0 on those 2 games) but my analysis of their team you did not dispute at all. They are not a great offensive team and their bigs and lack of depth will be exposed in the big east. And I have no clue how you can say it is ok for the 8th ranked team inthe country to be .500 halfway through their league. I think you are just hedging your bets against me. and yes did see their schedule, college basketball is very different than the NFL, see eagles vs. vikes, buccaneers vs. lions, as examples - teams in nfl end up where they deserve regardless of schedule where college bball schedule can determine an awful lot, hence why the big east teams all have 10 wins since they rarely play anyone out of conference (you do realize nova has only played 3 games out of philly and one was at Monmouth). Jaegs i watch a ton of college hoops and right now nova is not one of the top 20 or so teams i've seen. all i was trying to say was i see nova finishing anywhere from 6th to 9th in the big east, which is a pretty big dropff from the last 5 years. If I am wrong Jaegs i'll be the 1st to come on here and admit it as i have no problems admitting when i am wrong. love that conference play has started. this is when college hoops gets pretty awesome.

jeez. for a st joes alum you certainly spend a lot of talking about villanova... ;)

1...taking the points against nova right now is money in the bank. i've said that all along and actually explained why. you said lasalle would win outright and temple would win at the dupont by 13. that is ridiculous.
    2...they are struggling offensively. again-we agree. anyone who watches them would agree.
    3...they're bigs lack depth due to the pinkston suspension. again-we agree. duh....can't deny how good mouph is looking early on though. he's only gonna get better.
    4...i was right about the birds 2nd half....all comeback wins and 2 losses thus far. thankfully they won early against subpar competition, as predicted. ;)
    5...again, pretty much everyone agrees that nova is overrated right now. you are pointing out obvious facts. that's really all you're doing. and it's not like i see them going 28-2 or something. in the last 4 years they've lost 5, 5, 9, and 7 games in conference play. i see them going 11-7, possibly 12-6 if they play up to their potential by the end of the year. not much of a drop off there. we'll see. with the aforementioned lack of depth due to losing their top recruit, and coming off a year when one of their best players in school history graduated, i'd say that's not too shabby. temple was a huge win and a great final tune up heading into conference play.

edit- 6...after the temple game you also said they "stink". you should have your eyes examined. :lol:

by the way, nice win over sienna the other night. great win for the hawks.

GO CATS!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315

:lol:

Sorry pj - Hawks just aren't in the same class as Temple & Nova. As Rick Pitino might say, Delonte West isn't walking through that door. Jameer Nelson isn't walking through that door.

Nova fans all around me Thursday made comments about how much better Hooter looks than that mangy Hawk thing.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Sorry pj - Hawks just aren't in the same class as Temple & Nova. As Rick Pitino might say, Delonte West isn't walking through that door. Jameer Nelson isn't walking through that door.

Nova fans all around me Thursday made comments about how much better Hooter looks than that mangy Hawk thing.

whoever said the Hawks were the same class as Nova? Nova is in the best hoops league and most exposed hoops league in America and the Hawks are a private school mid-major. No one expects to be in the same class as nova year in and year out when Nova is at the top of the big east like they have been. Temple is ahead of the Hawks now for sure but it was only a few short years ago the Hawks had beaten Temple like 12 straight times. Let's also not forget the Owls haven't won and NCAA game in like a decade so hard to be too cocky about the state of your program.

Jaegs - What's wrong with my discussing Nova and/or Temple more than the Hawks? I'd talk about the Hawks for hours if I thought anyone was remotely interested which I know they are not. Nova owns the phlly hoops scene right now so that is where most of the talk is centered (especially since their fans are even more obnoxioius than Dallas Cowboy fans). and I'll take over 6 on Nova Big East losses (unless you mean in january alone). they have won against their lousy competition and it's time to see if they can step it up and start beating good teams. As I said from what I've seen they are not one of the top 20-25 teams in the nation at this point. If that changes I will gladly say that on here. And it's S-I-E-N-A
    pjhawks wrote:

whoever said the Hawks were the same class as Nova? Nova is in the best hoops league and most exposed hoops league in America and the Hawks are a private school mid-major. No one expects to be in the same class as nova year in and year out when Nova is at the top of the big east like they have been. Temple is ahead of the Hawks now for sure but it was only a few short years ago the Hawks had beaten Temple like 12 straight times. Let's also not forget the Owls haven't won and NCAA game in like a decade so hard to be too cocky about the state of your program.

Jaegs - What's wrong with my discussing Nova and/or Temple more than the Hawks? I'd talk about the Hawks for hours if I thought anyone was remotely interested which I know they are not. Nova owns the phlly hoops scene right now so that is where most of the talk is centered (especially since their fans are even more obnoxioius than Dallas Cowboy fans). and I'll take over 6 on Nova Big East losses (unless you mean in january alone). they have won against their lousy competition and it's time to see if they can step it up and start beating good teams. As I said from what I've seen they are not one of the top 20-25 teams in the nation at this point. If that changes I will gladly say that on here. And it's S-I-E-N-A

its a big 5 thread. if i went to or was a die hard lasalle fan, i'd be hyping up the big win over binghamton today instead of spending 99% of my post's hating on some other school. you seem to be the only one doing that. to each his own though. :?

and i said 11-7. you said they'd have 7-9 losses. why would i would i agree to 6 as an o/u? 7.5 or 8 would seem more reasonable. what's the o/u on st joes total wins this year? 12? :lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    its a big 5 thread. if i went to or was a die hard lasalle fan, i'd be hyping up the big win over binghamton today instead of spending 99% of my post's hating on some other school. you seem to be the only one doing that. to each his own though. :?

and i said 11-7. you said they'd have 7-9 losses. why would i would i agree to 6 as an o/u? 7.5 or 8 would seem more reasonable. what's the o/u on st joes total wins this year? 12? :lol::lol:

Jaegs do you read my posts fully or just pick out portions? As I previously stated i would talk about the Hawks but I am aware that no one here gives a shit about them. And yes Hawks over/under at 12 is right on the money for this season.

as for Nova over/under at 6 in the big east you said you thought they'd go 12-6 or 11-7 this year in the big east so i said i'll talk the over 6. not really hard logic to follow there.
    pjhawks wrote:

Jaegs do you read my posts fully or just pick out portions? As I previously stated i would talk about the Hawks but I am aware that no one here gives a shit about them. And yes Hawks over/under at 12 is right on the money for this season.

as for Nova over/under at 6 in the big east you said you thought they'd go 12-6 or 11-7 this year in the big east so i said i'll talk the over 6. not really hard logic to follow there.

i did read them. who cares what you think other people might think. they're your squad. be proud of them. plus you've said before that you'll post what you want on a message board despite what others think. i believe this was in reference to fashion or something in the eagles thread?

and no, i said 11-7 is where i think they'd end up. go back and reread it. 12-6 is best case scenario. like i thought 10-6 was best case for the birds, but no way i'd put an o/u for wins at 10 for them. ya know? logic, not hard to follow. ;)

go cats.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm always posting about Temple beating up on MAC teams, and I know nobody cares about those games.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I'm always posting about Temple beating up on MAC teams, and I know nobody cares about those games.

i care about those games but i'm kind of degenerate college hoops fan so i'll talk about any of it. i'll post more about the hawks in the future.
    corey stokes, big 5 player of the week. :)

guy looks so much better than his first few years. much improved...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Owls on TCN tonight at Fordham. No HD for verizon - but at least it's on.

fordham beat st johns...who beat g town last night.
    chinese-happy.jpg

But they are only 6-6. However, road games are always tough in college hoops.

But they are only 6-6. However, road games are always tough in college hoops.

i know. temple should have no problem. just found it odd that they beat the johnnies.
    chinese-happy.jpg

Well, I had the day wrong, but this game did get played tonight. Owls started out horribly, and trailed by 7 in the 1st half. Then they finished the half with a 16-2 run and dominated the 2nd half for a solid opening A-10 win. For some reason Fordham played this game in the Izod Center (where the Nets play?). Seems like they forsook any home court advantage they might've had, and there was nobody there.

How's that for Temple news that nobody cares about? :lol:

Well, I had the day wrong, but this game did get played tonight. Owls started out horribly, and trailed by 7 in the 1st half. Then they finished the half with a 16-2 run and dominated the 2nd half for a solid opening A-10 win. For some reason Fordham played this game in the Izod Center (where the Nets play?). Seems like they forsook any home court advantage they might've had, and there was nobody there.

maybe they thought some temple people would make the trip? odd choice indeed...

big win right now for tennessee over memphis...that's good for nova
    chinese-happy.jpg

I was one Temple fan who had no idea that game was at the Meadowlands, or that Fordham ever played games there. I'd think they'd play St. Johns there, if anyone. And they played them in their on-campus gym.

Memphis & Tennessee are both crappy & overrated this year.

Fordham is playing like 5 A10 games there this year including the Hawks. the Hawks game is a sunday afternon at least.

and my Hawks have finally reached rock bottom i think, or at least it better have reached rock bottom. Down 26 at home at one point to Duquesne last night and the effort was as bad as i've seen. pretty disgusted right now. might be time for Phil to head off into the sunset. long long long way from 2004. it's really unbelievable how far we've fallen. all the points in the game came from freshman and sophomores for the hawks. there is some talent there but not seeing results yet. so very frustrating.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Fordham is playing like 5 A10 games there this year including the Hawks. the Hawks game is a sunday afternon at least.

and my Hawks have finally reached rock bottom i think, or at least it better have reached rock bottom. Down 26 at home at one point to Duquesne last night and the effort was as bad as i've seen. pretty disgusted right now. might be time for Phil to head off into the sunset. long long long way from 2004. it's really unbelievable how far we've fallen. all the points in the game came from freshman and sophomores for the hawks. there is some talent there but not seeing results yet. so very frustrating.

Getting blown out by Duquesne; that's not good. They have to give him some time to develop the recruiting class though - isn't it all freshmen? If they are still terrible 2 years from now, it might be time to start looking for a change. The A-10 (and Big 5) is more fun when St. Joe's is competitive.

pjhawks wrote:

Getting blown out by Duquesne; that's not good. They have to give him some time to develop the recruiting class though - isn't it all freshmen? If they are still terrible 2 years from now, it might be time to start looking for a change. The A-10 (and Big 5) is more fun when St. Joe's is competitive.

only one upperclassman even gets on the court at this point in Idris Hilliard and he took a big donut last night. Tay Jones is the only productive sophomore and the rest are all freshman. as i stated before this is by far the best freshman class we've had but it's ugly right now. individually the freshman are going to be great, it's just collectively right now it's not working. last night was a lack of effort in the 1st half which is the most disappointing aspect. at least 3 of the freshman are all A10 caliber players in the future, Langston Galloway, CJ Aiken (top 10 in blocked shots right now) and Ron Roberts (had a double-double off the bench last night). Fans are getting pissed off though, we pay the highest ticket prices by far in the city, the school put a shitload of money into the program with upgraded facilites, the school is bleeding heavily financially because of the purchase of the old Episcopal property and the results are disasterous at this point. I know Phil's not getting fired anytime soon but any points he built up are pretty much used up now.

I was one Temple fan who had no idea that game was at the Meadowlands, or that Fordham ever played games there. I'd think they'd play St. Johns there, if anyone. And they played them in their on-campus gym.

Memphis & Tennessee are both crappy & overrated this year.

maybe so. still a win over a top 25 team is considered a "good" win.

you know how it is. you lose to a team and you want that team to do well to help boost your resume. like nova with temple last year, and like temple with nova this year. ;)
    chinese-happy.jpg
    was following the game on the radio whilst tailgating today. cincinnati's a bit overrated. still, nice to see nova work out their kinks while winning these games. and a win vs a top 25 team is always nice.

16 games left...10 against teams in the top 50 rpi (8 in top 11). gotta love the big east. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    in the newest braketology today lunardi has nova as a 3 seed, temple 7.

i think nova was 4 and temple was 11 last week. moving on up...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Owls really struggled with St. Louis yesterday. Juan Fernandez missed the game with a bruised knee, and Allen & Eric had foul trouble. Down by 8 well into the 2nd half, but a gutsy comeback to pull it out.

Apparently reporters didn't watch the game, because Temple is now ranked 19/23 in the AP/Coaches.

I'm hoping for something like 2 losses in the A-10 (plus losing to Duke in all likelihood) would get the Owls somewhere around a 4 seed. Based on yesterday, though, I'm skeptical this team can put that kind of run together.

for a team that stinks and is about to implode... villanova looks pretty damn good thus far. ;) :wave:

things will get a whole lot tougher after this maryland game on saturday. so far so good though. they seem to be getting better with each game. all about playing your best come late feb into march...

MOUPHTAOU.
    YAROU.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    for a team that stinks and is about to implode... villanova looks pretty damn good thus far. ;) :wave:

things will get a whole lot tougher after this maryland game on saturday. so far so good though. they seem to be getting better with each game. all about playing your best come late feb into march...

MOUPHTAOU.
    YAROU.

Jaegs they are definitely playing much better than they were at the end of december. Stokes has been lights out. One thing about Jay's teams is they pretty much play harder than the other team. they get every loose ball. that being said I had them at 3-1 in the big east at this point so a game ahead. still barely challeneged though. only played 4 true road games, monmouth, penn, lasalle and south florida. when lasalle is your toughest road game as of january 13th you are in the Jim Boeheim school of scheduling. also remember they were 20-1 last year at one point and didn't turn out so well. lots of season left and much tougher games on the horizon. besides plenty of time for corey fisher to sleep with another teammates girlfriend.

my hawks battled dayton at dayton last night after having to take a bus because flight was cancelled. down 3 with the ball under 30 seconds left and missed a 3 then had 6 men on the court for a T after a timeout. fn brutal. never heard or saw that happen to a hawk team in my life. freshman center/forward CJ Aiken is 2nd in the country in block shots per game. He is going to be a monster once he puts on more weight.

temple and richmond clearly the best of the A10. Seen most of the teams in the A10 so far and not really impressed other than those 2. Even Xavier looks just ok this year but they have a ton of injuries. temple needs to take care of business and keep moving up in the polls.

also not Big 5 but great to see Duke lose. Man they are really hard to like. Also watched San Diego State for the 1st time this year. They are pretty good but not quite a Top 10 team i don't think. They will probably lose 2 in their league, especially if they play at BYU but have to check out their schedule. Check out my man Jimmer Fredette on BYU, best shooter in the country, even better than Corey Stokes.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    and we give you, the new #1, Ohio State Buckeyes.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

MOUPHTAOU.
    YAROU.

Jaegs they are definitely playing much better than they were at the end of december. Stokes has been lights out. One thing about Jay's teams is they pretty much play harder than the other team. they get every loose ball. that being said I had them at 3-1 in the big east at this point so a game ahead. still barely challeneged though. only played 4 true road games, monmouth, penn, lasalle and south florida. when lasalle is your toughest road game as of january 13th you are in the Jim Boeheim school of scheduling. also remember they were 20-1 last year at one point and didn't turn out so well. lots of season left and much tougher games on the horizon. besides plenty of time for corey fisher to sleep with another teammates girlfriend.

yeah i had them at 3-1 at this point too. thought they'd lose one of the previous two. so i'm pretty happy so far. the difference between last year's team and this year's is last year got by with how they played in the first half last night. their defense was lacking last year. d is much better this year. overall they're playing more like a team. they just kind of waited around for scottie reynolds to make things happen last year. you could tell that something was off with that team. i love that stokes has emerged as a leader and mouph has a chance to be the best big man jay wright's ever had. win or lose, they are playing much better than i thought at this point in the season.

regarding the schedule, obviously out of conference is weak. it is like this every single year. judging by all the success they've enjoyed the last decade, i think jay wright knows what he's doing with that though. ;)

go cats!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Owls destroyed St. Bonaventure to go 31-0 at home vs. the Bonnies.

It was 17-17 at one point, but was never interesting after that. These are the kind of games that make me long for being in the Big East or ACC.

It was 17-17 at one point, but was never interesting after that. These are the kind of games that make me long for being in the Big East or ACC.

just beat the living hell out of that conference and get as high a seed as possible.
    chinese-happy.jpg

just beat the living hell out of that conference and get as high a seed as possible.

So much for this. Owls got destroyed by Duquesne. Fuck you Pittsburgh. Your city sucks. :twisted: