So I am thinking about a US holiday......

2»

Comments

• FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    81 wrote:
    Cleveland Ohio!

hehehehehehe :lol:

actually, he just missed it by " " that much. serious. just west of cleveland (an hour) is the greatest collection of roller coasters in the world. however, 6 might be a bit young for that.

Rollercoasters......he will have to get someone else to that.....I'm no good on them :oops:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Rollercoasters......he will have to get someone else to that.....I'm no good on them :oops:

ill do it.. i love rollercoasters. and you can trust me.. im an australian. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    81 wrote:
    applying for a visa for aussies to enter the US as a tourist takes 5 mintes online. actually tis not even a visa its just permission to enter really. :mrgreen:

i was going to say, don't you just need a passport. i'm not an international traveler just yet. maybe next year

no you dont just need a passport. we used to be able to rock up at the borderl with one alone, but not more. its been changed very recently.[/quote]

Your passport needs at least 6 months left on it, and it needs to be a machine readable one - in other words it has an electronic chip in it with all your personal information (which it will automatically be if it's been issued in the last 4 years) and you need to visit the website for a visa waiver, I THINK it's etsa.gov but I'm not 100% sure - a quick google search will bring it up. This has been a requirement for at least the last 4 or 5 years, it WAS free, but as of a few months ago it now costs around $40 I think. But once you have your approval, which does only take a few minutes, it lasts for two years, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. And you can stay in the US for up to 90 days at a time on it, no need to reapply each time during that two years. You then also get electronically fingerprinted and have your photo taken as you go through Customs and Immigration in LA. Was over there in July and will be back in December so as far as I know these are the most up to date requirements. :)
    81 wrote:

i was going to say, don't you just need a passport. i'm not an international traveler just yet. maybe next year
    o you dont just need a passport. we used to be able to rock up at the borderl with one alone, but not more. its been changed very recently.

Your passport needs at least 6 months left on it, and it needs to be a machine readable one - in other words it has an electronic chip in it with all your personal information (which it will automatically be if it's been issued in the last 4 years) and you need to visit the website for a visa waiver, I THINK it's etsa.gov but I'm not 100% sure - a quick google search will bring it up. This has been a requirement for at least the last 4 or 5 years, it WAS free, but as of a few months ago it now costs around $40 I think. But once you have your approval, which does only take a few minutes, it lasts for two years, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. And you can stay in the US for up to 90 days at a time on it, no need to reapply each time during that two years. You then also get electronically fingerprinted and have your photo taken as you go through Customs and Immigration in LA. Was over there in July and will be back in December so as far as I know these are the most up to date requirements. :)

yep its ETSA. but no it hasnt been a requirement for 4/5 years. i was there in feb 08 and i just rocked up, scanned my thumbs and retina or whatever,(think they claimed my next born child too) silently cursed the portrait of GW and was in. they confiscated my apple though. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

yep its ETSA. but no it hasnt been a requirement for 4/5 years. i was there in feb 08 and i just rocked up, scanned my thumbs and retina or whatever,(think they claimed my next born child too) silently cursed the portrait of GW and was in. they confiscated my apple though. :lol:

Hmmm... that's odd - cause I was there in July 06 and it WAS required, only the travel agent did it for me. They told me at the time "you don't need a visa, but you do need a visa waiver, we do that for you". Maybe it's just new that you have to do it yourself? But it was definitely required when I went in 06.

Hmmm... that's odd - cause I was there in July 06 and it WAS required, only the travel agent did it for me. They told me at the time "you don't need a visa, but you do need a visa waiver, we do that for you". Maybe it's just new that you have to do it yourself? But it was definitely required when I went in 06.

well thats explains it. i dont remember doing the visa waiver. but i dont remember my TA doing it either. i think ill trust your brain on this stardust. was it like a form you handed in?? cause i dont recall handing anything in except that little card you fill out on the plane.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

well thats explains it. i dont remember doing the visa waiver. but i dont remember my TA doing it either. i think ill trust your brain on this stardust. was it like a form you handed in?? cause i dont recall handing anything in except that little card you fill out on the plane.

No, when I went in 06, the travel agent filled in a form, but I didn't have to do anything - I wouldn't have even known except for the fact that I asked about visas and she told me that. Then it was just as you said, you hand in the form you fill out on the plane, which you still have to do as well now. The difference now is you have to do the visa waiver yourself online. It says you don't need to print it out and take it with you, but I did, and pretty much everyone else I saw in the queue did as well, cause you never know if they are going to ask you for confirmation that you did it. So your travel agent most likely did it for you. :)
    No, when I went in 06, the travel agent filled in a form, but I didn't have to do anything - I wouldn't have even known except for the fact that I asked about visas and she told me that. Then it was just as you said, you hand in the form you fill out on the plane, which you still have to do as well now. The difference now is you have to do the visa waiver yourself online. It says you don't need to print it out and take it with you, but I did, and pretty much everyone else I saw in the queue did as well, cause you never know if they are going to ask you for confirmation that you did it. So your travel agent most likely did it for you. :)

perhaps i should pay more attention and not float around in my bubble next time. :lol:

did you see on the consulates site how there was a list of approved airlines for passage(you had to have arrived on one of them) that if you were knocked back at the border they guaranteed to fly you back home. :lol:

the electronic visa exception just seems like a revenue raising exercise to me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say