What historical period would you want to live in?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
if you could live or be alive in any time in history, excluding the 1980's/90's/2000's as most of us were alive during these time, what era would you live in?

1960's? 1950's? 1890's?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PapPap Posts: 28,819
    woodstock2025.jpg

_Images_uzzle_woodstockMain2.jpg

Album1-woodstock-cover3pix-01.jpg

Woodstock2AlbumCover.jpg
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    8th - 10th centuries in Scandinavia
    The Vikings were quite explosive during those times
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    The Roaring 20s.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    edited October 2010
    I would have liked the mid to late 70s era. These were my glory days. The war in Vietnam, for the important parts, which was the draft, was over, the Grateful Dead were in full bloom, pot was cheap, beer was good...even pony bottles, other stuff which i won't mention here came in all forms, shapes, strengths, with pretty little designs, it was perfect. EXCEPT that there was no PJ...if not for that, I would have loved to have stayed there.
    But I am grateful that time went on and PJ was born and thrived....I wouldn't change THAT for anything!
    Then again, I wouldn't have been here on this forum, on this computer had it remained the 70s either. And that sux too. But for attitude, love of one's brothers and sisters, traveling, communal life, it was way cool, at least for me.
    Post edited by StillHere on
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    chadwick wrote:

You know, I thought about saying something like 11th century Celtic Ireland/Wales....I have many ancestors we've traced back to that time...and I really enjoy all that I've learned about the culture...BUT...I'm WAY too lazy for all that work. (at least i'm honest right?) :mrgreen:
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'll take when Jesus was here so I could sit and chat a bit 8-)
    Thats really all I can think of. I've lived those eras, traced my family tree
    and wouldn't want to live the decades before I was born.
    The future's not looking too bright so I'm glad I was born when I was.
    So I'll take as is or a time spent being a Jesus groupie :D
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    70's

all those great legendary bands at their peak
    cbgb's
    young billy joel
    young bruce springteen and e street band
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    70's

all those great legendary bands at their peak
    cbgb's
    young billy joel
    young bruce springteen and e street band

Were you there?
    I remember Bruce at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park before we knew who he was. So cool to look back on now :)
    peace,
    jo

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    StillHere wrote:

Were you there?
    I remember Bruce at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park before we knew who he was. So cool to look back on now :)
    no sadly i wasn't even born yet
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• medicine/technology is better now
    art is better now
    movies were better in the 80's
    music was better in the 90's
    fashion was better in the 50's
    architecture was better at the turn of the century

i dont know... its all just dumb nostalgia about either our childhood or our parents' era
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i was gonna say the 1970s... then i remembered i did live back then. :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    StillHere wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

You know, I thought about saying something like 11th century Celtic Ireland/Wales....I have many ancestors we've traced back to that time...and I really enjoy all that I've learned about the culture...BUT...I'm WAY too lazy for all that work. (at least i'm honest right?) :mrgreen:
    yes it is true that people worked harder back then.
    you would have liked the Vikings im sure.
    i've read that woman (not all women loved them) up and down the coasts of Europe loved the barbarians from the North. do you know why?
    it is so simple it stinks.

Vikings bathed every Sunday.
    the book also pinpointed the fact that the English did not care to bathe, hence why their women chased the hairy crazed berserkers. Plus weren't the English a bit into wigs and fake moles? :lol:

i do not know much about Ireland/Wales culture.
    have you ever been there?
    i aim to visit all those countries one day
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

yes it is true that people worked harder back then.
    you would have liked the Vikings im sure.
    i've read that woman (not all women loved them) up and down the coasts of Europe loved the barbarians from the North. do you know why?
    it is so simple it stinks.

Vikings bathed every Sunday.
    the book also pinpointed the fact that the English did not care to bathe, hence why their women chased the hairy crazed berserkers. Plus weren't the English a bit into wigs and fake moles? :lol:

i do not know much about Ireland/Wales culture.
    have you ever been there?
    i aim to visit all those countries one day

I am sure i would have loved the vikings...seem like biker dudes of modern day. they probably bathe every sunday as well. well, maybe wednesday evening, sunday's riding day.

i've never been but we have a trip scheduled for spring of 2012 to Ireland for 10 days. should be great.
    peace,
    jo

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Jeanwah wrote:
    The Roaring 20s.
    I would pick this era too
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Jeanwah wrote:
    The Roaring 20s.

You wouldn't like the shoes from that era...

work.2625898.3.papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.v4.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Plague, pestilence, leprosy, women giving birth to monstrosities and daemons and fire breathing griffins, cardinals gouging out your eyeballs if you suspect you won't fall off the edge of the world at Felixstowe, bear-baiting tents, people throwing shit out of their top windows on top of you, women having to wear scolds and bridles and be dunked in freezing ice ponds if they are heard gossiping, bear-baiting tents, poxy bowsies selling their wares in the groundling pit at the Globe theatre, hanging, drawing, quartering, flogging, pillorying, exorcisms, subsisting on jellied blood and congealed turkey arse grease roasted on a spit, two-year-olds drinking 20% ABV ale before working on the fields at the crack of dawn, religious persecution, priests hiding in holes in houses, buying and selling in groats and ducets, and badde spellynge. Fuck that. I'll live in the present. There might not be many trees left, but at least there's toilet paper.
  • Plague, pestilence, leprosy, women giving birth to monstrosities and daemons and fire breathing griffins, cardinals gouging out your eyeballs if you suspect you won't fall off the edge of the world at Felixstowe, bear-baiting tents, people throwing shit out of their top windows on top of you, women having to wear scolds and bridles and be dunked in freezing ice ponds if they are heard gossiping, bear-baiting tents, poxy bowsies selling their wares in the groundling pit at the Globe theatre, hanging, drawing, quartering, flogging, pillorying, exorcisms, subsisting on jellied blood and congealed turkey arse grease roasted on a spit, two-year-olds drinking 20% ABV ale before working on the fields at the crack of dawn, religious persecution, priests hiding in holes in houses, buying and selling in groats and ducets, and badde spellynge. Fuck that. I'll live in the present. There might not be many trees left, but at least there's toilet paper.

cheers to that, FPC! Love that toilet paper! :D
  • Mind you, we still have bad spelling.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the bane of my existence.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    the late nineties.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'll take 2500 ad
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Jeanwah wrote:
    The Roaring 20s.

You wouldn't like the shoes from that era...

work.2625898.3.papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.v4.jpg
    But I bet they would go with a cute little flapper dress! And I want one of those cigarette holder things.

• I'll take whenever Raquel Welch was running around in a fur bikini. When was that again?
  • The Roaring 20s.

But I bet they would go with a cute little flapper dress! And I want one of those cigarette holder things.[/quote][/quote]

I like the flapper dresses too! and those long cigarettes, and flashy holders. didn't they do the Charleston or something? that would be cool. was that around the time of alcohol being illegal? crazy times. I love the flapper dresses though. When I finally get skinny again, I am so being a flapper dancer for Halloween...some year.

cheers to that! :D

I like the flapper dresses too! and those long cigarettes, and flashy holders. didn't they do the Charleston or something? that would be cool. was that around the time of alcohol being illegal? crazy times. I love the flapper dresses though. When I finally get skinny again, I am so being a flapper dancer for Halloween...some year.

cheers to that! :D
    Yep - they did the Charleston and that was the time of prohibition! I have a flapper-type dress that I wear in real life :lol: Half my wardrobe could probably double as a halloween costume :? And I wish hats would come back in style. I love cloche hats and long pearls. Ok yeah...I'm picking my decade based on the fashion. I wouldn't mind the 40s either.

• my pick would be 1800's in england.

i am facinated by the idea of walking about in a city that doesnt have paved roads, that has no cars, etc...

additionally, I'd also like to have lived in north america in the 1600's. I can just picture how crazy and odd "America" would have seemed back them. So much wilderness and trees. No roads. no highways. no cars. no planes.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    The 50s. The birth of rock music and the era of some of the greatest cars ever built.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • i used to be a fanatic about the 1950's. i was and remain a big fan of those 50's sitcoms. I Love Lucy and the like. Leave it to beaver. i just love the vibe and sense of those shows. the sockhops. the maltshops etc...

and it wasnt until years later that i realized that the 1950's were far from the idyllic innocent time that it is often portrayed as. that said, it would have been fun to have been alive at that time
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    2000's
    I miss igotid88
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Paris in the 1920s, just to hang out with the artists and be a fly on the wall.

I'm glad I live here and now though. To think it hasn't even been a hundred years since women were given the right to vote in this country! Ladies haven't been afforded much rights throughout history so I'm happy with the era bestowed upon me :) I would love to visit different time periods just to see certain things happen, like when stonehenge was constructed or the sphinx was completed, or see the first Impressionist exhibition firsthand to see how people freaked out at it.