Options

Black - my top 20 versions

Comments

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Ottawa 2005 doesn't make the top 20???? wow.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Not a fan of the MTv Unplugged, maybe its when Ed blows the lyrics that bug me. I love the 92 Pinkpop and Pittsburgh 06
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    For your consideration (totally under-rated IMO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPdYtf76mx8
  • Options
    appie wrote:
    specialy your number 4( pinkpop 92 Holland)for me the best,the one in your list i even been to :D
    Same year in Den Haag to....Those were the days...

Thanx for posting.... :clap::clap::clap: . :wave:

Wow. What a great list! Thanks!
    PinkPop 92 is a great version. Eddie sounds amazing and heartfelt even though he's really out of breath.
    Btw, I wonder if he noticed the dirty looks Stone threw him (2:19)?
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    green_girl wrote:
    appie wrote:
    specialy your number 4( pinkpop 92 Holland)for me the best,the one in your list i even been to :D

PinkPop 92 is a great version. Eddie sounds amazing and heartfelt even though he's really out of breath.

I always saw the look from Stone to be one of admiration or respect more than one of a "dirty look". Somewhat of a caught up in the awesomeness of the moment, really.
    :mrgreen:
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    I just watched 8 different versions of Black all in a row. I really need to go get some work done. But.... I just want one more, give me one more.... (Hands shaking and voice pleading). This thread may cause a problem for me but I love every minute of it! Thanks to all who contributed...

Jen
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    green_girl wrote:
    appie wrote:

I always saw the look from Stone to be one of admiration or respect more than one of a "dirty look". Somewhat of a caught up in the awesomeness of the moment, really.
    :mrgreen:

I agree. I have seen him study eddie like that in other videos. Kind of wonderment or a desire just to be near to him as they create this amazing piece of art together.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Exactly. Watch how he tosses his hair back just before the look.
    ;)
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    Exactly. Watch how he tosses his hair back just before the look.
    ;)

Had to have a clear view... :) the respect and admiration they all have for each other is awesome and clear to me in this clip. Love it.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/26/15 New York City
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Ottawa 2005 doesn't make the top 20???? wow.
    this is my top 20 and only the ones can find at youtube..

there are more i could add,but no you tube video,so the idea was people see the versuon,cos not all have the bootlegs

i can make another 20,but,there are no videos for them,.. :(
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I just watched 8 different versions of Black all in a row. I really need to go get some work done. But.... I just want one more, give me one more.... (Hands shaking and voice pleading). This thread may cause a problem for me but I love every minute of it! Thanks to all who contributed...

Jen
    Black version is like drugs...there always a better version to trip you..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
  • Options

it was a good morning, thanks!

love this thread... here's my current favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RWeBY-Fchc

Santiago 2005. Takes my breath away
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/26/15 New York City
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    i love the solo in this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N2P4fayWEc
  • Options
    this song...every tour some unique power to be special..im listening versions from 95...

guitar solo parts has so much pain in them...

Hey Mike....

and eddie put so much power with his singing during the solos..
  • Options
    great list, especially milan 92. angry but passionate eddie.
    "WE JUST HAVE FRIENDS UP HERE THAT ARE LISTENING TO STORIES"
    11/6/12 EV solo (got to meet him!!)
    7/19/13 Wrigley
    11/19/13 Phx
  • Options
    great list, especially milan 92. angry but passionate eddie.
    "WE JUST HAVE FRIENDS UP HERE THAT ARE LISTENING TO STORIES"
    :D
  • Options
    Mike killing the solo at Lisbon 00 version..
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Love the list and the work put in, but there has to be some from 2005 in South America with the crowd extending the song into the 12 minute range.

Also like any other list, I totally would have put Benaroya number one and Berlin is certainly in the category by itself. Thanks again it was great to watch them.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    Love the list and the work put in, but there has to be some from 2005 in South America with the crowd extending the song into the 12 minute range.

Also like any other list, I totally would have put Benaroya number one and Berlin is certainly in the category by itself. Thanks again it was great to watch them.
    MTV Unplugged,is like the first love..you never forget that one.. ;)
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    smithnic wrote:

very true. But then you get older and the same thing just lasts 3 times as long and is performed better. Totally talking about Benaroya v. Unplugged :)
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    This is so true...
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    terrym08terrym08 Posts: 370
    Eddie solo in Las Vegas 2012 was pretty sweet!
  • Options
    clashman wrote:
    mtv unplugged as number 1?
    dave a sucks so much with all the cymbals....

I couldn't disagree more. That whole unplugged DVD is awesome because of Dave A.
    To each his own i guess ;)
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    drewdawgqdrewdawgq Posts: 168
    Dimitri,

For me, this is not only Pearl Jam's greatest song, but quite possibly the greatest song ever written. It's weird though, if you ask me what my favorite PJ song is, I won't always say Black. What's really crazy is I will often skip it when it comes on the radio or my iPod. It's something special, I feel like if I "use" it too much the magic might wear off.

I think an honorable mention for your list would be Atlanta 94. Ed is so effing powerful in that one. The only thing holding it back from one of the all time greats is the lack of a long solo by Mike. Regardless, you can hear Mike shredding at the end while Ed is singing: "I don't think, these people understand... We belong together, together..."

Damn, I have goosebumps now.

Andrew
    Tread Lightly.
  • Options
    drewdawgq wrote:
    Dimitri,

For me, this is not only Pearl Jam's greatest song, but quite possibly the greatest song ever written. It's weird though, if you ask me what my favorite PJ song is, I won't always say Black. What's really crazy is I will often skip it when it comes on the radio or my iPod. It's something special, I feel like if I "use" it too much the magic might wear off.

I think an honorable mention for your list would be Atlanta 94. Ed is so effing powerful in that one. The only thing holding it back from one of the all time greats is the lack of a long solo by Mike. Regardless, you can hear Mike shredding at the end while Ed is singing: "I don't think, these people understand... We belong together, together..."

Andrew
    hello Andrew..

totally agree..

if you read the thread we talked about atlanta too...the problem actually,was to put version,that there is video of the from the show..
    ,if i remember well,Atlanta has only a foto at the video during the song..
    this really amazing version..sure can fit in my top 20
    and yeah..

"I don't think, these people understand... We belong together, together..."

its EPIC....
  • Options
    drewdawgq wrote:
    Dimitri,

Andrew
    hello Andrew..

totally agree..

if you read the thread we talked about atlanta too...the problem actually,was to put version,that there is video of the from the show..
    and yeah..

its EPIC....

Found it,when ik add it on the threadb :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hXYzHlevvs
    i dont need......please people...understand.. we belong togther....;)
  • Options
    drewdawgqdrewdawgq Posts: 168
    drewdawgq wrote:
    Dimitri,

Andrew
    hello Andrew..

totally agree..

and yeah..

its EPIC....

Dang, I've read through this thread before and forgot it had to have video... Thanks for such an amazing list. It's great to read a thread that's about the music and not the other stuff that's been going around.
    Tread Lightly.
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    Omg
    You missed the "super loser version" Pittsburgh 03 (I think).
    "We belong together....I will see you never....it's ok, it's ok"
    I haven't heard it in many years, is that how it goes?

Anyway, the Pitt show version of black is the greatest IMO
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    drewdawgq wrote:
    Dimitri,

Andrew

You speak the truth... Best song ever written. I too have to skip it sometimes because it honestly takes so much out of me. It's not like I can easily just go back to work after hearing that, ykwim? I love to put on the good headphones, close the door to the world and just bury myself in this thread. Good times. :D

The Atlanta 94 version is unf*cking real. Definitely doesn't need video. We all know how they looked.... Mike with the back arch and head back, eddie both hands on the mic rocking back and forth and face so full of emotional anguish. I love this band (and this thread).

Peace
    Jen
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/26/15 New York City
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden