Options

jury duty

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
What are your experiences with Jury duty? I'm turning 30 this year and have never been summoned to serve. I'm curious to see how many times you guys have been summoned to serve. After 12 years of being a legal adult, I'm surprised I've never been summoned. I guess I'm lucky.
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,191
    You just jinxed yourself...lol

I have yet NOT to be chosen. Apparently it works different in every state.
    Depending on the case it can be very interesting.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I've been summoned 3 times, but have never actually served. All 3 experiences resulted in me sitting in a Camden basement for 3 hours reading a book and then being released before lunch without even an opportunity to be picked for a jury. Guess they don't like the look of me :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I got called once, I was 23. Not registered to vote. I got out of it because I wasn't living in Washington at the time...I just 'forgot' to tell them I was moving back home in a week. 8-)

Washington State pulls from pools of licensed drivers and voters. I'm still licensed, and registered to vote...haven't been called since. Maybe now I'd go....a girl I know had Jury duty every Wednesday she had to go for like 18 months. :o :shock:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I've been called twice, made it on one jury.
    JB just got done serving his first time this summer he didn't get picked for a jury.
    My daughter who is 24 served once but wasn't picked either,
    she may never now cause of her forensic and criminal justice training.
    My son's not been called, well he did but had moved from the county, he's being elusive ;)
    Some like it...I do but I got picked for a rape case of a very young girl. It was upsetting.
    Early on there was a mistrial and then he pleaded out. I was glad.
  • Options
    I've been called twice...but never served.

The first time I was called the trial was the same day as the due date of my daughter! The judge was kind enough to not make me sit in a courthouse for hours on end while my wife gave birth to my first born.

Second time I sat in some room for hours with like 60 people, they read off 30 names and told those people they could go home...I was one of those lucky 30!
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    What are your experiences with Jury duty? I'm turning 30 this year and have never been summoned to serve. I'm curious to see how many times you guys have been summoned to serve. After 12 years of being a legal adult, I'm surprised I've never been summoned. I guess I'm lucky.

I'm 30 and got my letter in the mail 3 weeks ago for federal jury duty. I really don't know the difference in federal and non federal. I'm thinking about trying to get out of it but on the other hand I want to do it.?
    I'll be back
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I've gotten three notices over the past two years......never had to serve though

Actually the last time I forgot to even check in.......so I'm only assuming I wasn't supposed to serve.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    I've been summoned 3 times, but have never actually served. All 3 experiences resulted in me sitting in a Camden basement for 3 hours reading a book and then being released before lunch without even an opportunity to be picked for a jury. Guess they don't like the look of me :lol:

pretty much this once for me, although i did make it to a court room as a potential alternate, but the case was dismissed before they even got to the jury selection
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i have been selected more than once
    i am always excused
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I never pay attention to the notices to go, I'm such a bad ass, I mean are they really going to arrest me for not sitting in a boring room all day and going to work instead, it's so stupid, so you really don't have to go no matter the threat.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    marcos wrote:
    I never pay attention to the notices to go, I'm such a bad ass, I mean are they really going to arrest me for not sitting in a boring room all day and going to work instead, it's so stupid, so you really don't have to go no matter the threat.
    that's exactly what i told my english professor
    he about shit his pants
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I would love to serve on a criminal jury. But I work with the criminal courts and I know the majority of the offender population and the judges, so I always get excused. Civil- no thank you. Last time I got called for civil jury I told the judge I had a bladder disorder and have to pee several times an hour. Worked like a charm.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I've only been called once and pulled the trump card. First juror called. I was outta there by 930
  • Options
    marcos wrote:

When i was a kid, my step-dad did get arrested for that exact thing. So i guess they do arrest you.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I've been called 6 times yet I know people in their 50s who've never gotten a summons. Only sat on 1 jury in a civil case. Lasted 4 and a half days and was more interesting than I expected it to be.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I've been called 4 times total, never been called to trial. The last time I didn't even know i was being summoned, I was away from home for the summer. I wrote to court that I no longer live in that county much less state. i wonder what i have to do now to register in another state or how do they know where I am now? BTW if you are a felon can even serve on jury duty?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    I had jury duty when I was 20 or so. I went for one interview type thing at the beginning of the month and did not get picked. And that was it. No calls the rest of the month.

My main memory is that one guy was so adamant about not getting picked that he made a total ass of himself by pointing out his bladder control problems every time anyone talked to him. He was also my 6th grade teacher who, up until that time, had seemed like a pretty cool guy.
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I was so excited to be called up. I love drama, and stuff like that.

Then I got there, it was a murder trial, and all of a sudden I wanted to be as far away as I could. Hearing the outline of the case. The details we were going to be subjected to just turned me off. Seeing the accused sitting metres away from me made me feel ill.

I am glad I didn't get chosen. I was only 18 at the time. I haven't been called back since.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    First off, I LOVE Jury Duty!! If I could sign up for it I would on a yearly basis...but sadly, i cannot.

I went until I was like 34 years old before ever being summoned. And that very time time I got on a trial and became the presiding juror.

Then I was summoned less than a year later, and I could not serve due to the time limit. Then I got summoned one more time, and that third time I was able to serve again. And again, I got on a trial and became the presiding juror.

The key is to get on a good criminal trial. I found the entire experience to be so interesting!!

It has now been about two years since I last served, and i am dying to get the thingy in the mail again!!
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    First off, I LOVE Jury Duty!! If I could sign up for it I would on a yearly basis...but sadly, i cannot.

I went until I was like 34 years old before ever being summoned. And that very time time I got on a trial and became the presiding juror.

Then I was summoned less than a year later, and I could not serve due to the time limit. Then I got summoned one more time, and that third time I was able to serve again. And again, I got on a trial and became the presiding juror.

The key is to get on a good criminal trial. I found the entire experience to be so interesting!!

It has now been about two years since I last served, and i am dying to get the thingy in the mail again!!

But was it a murder trial? As I said in my post directly above you. I was keen to be on the jury, but hearing the outline of the case and knowing that this is real life, not some tv show really churned my guts. And I am so glad I didn't get on the actual jury. If it was a robbery or drug thing I would be keen. But violent crimes.... No thanks, not anymore.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    i was called up, had to sit in the courthouse for hours but was never chosen. ive always wondered about my situation. i have for years now given money to the mumia case, to the peltier case, to the wm3 case and have been outspoken about my belief the justice system as a whole is racist and corrupt and needs to be brought down at the very least. I'd have a hell of a time serving because I dont believe the system can give people a fair trial. given my beliefs, and the fact that i dont have a few problems with the justice system, but have HUGE MAJOR problems with the entire way of it, would I have to serve?

I personally had a speech all planned out that i seriously was ready to give. "do you feel there is any reason you cant serve on this jury?". Well yes officer actually there is, I believe the system is corrupt, that cops are racist thugs, and that the justice system is flat out racist and irredeemable.

haha
  • Options
    i was called up, had to sit in the courthouse for hours but was never chosen. ive always wondered about my situation. i have for years now given money to the mumia case, to the peltier case, to the wm3 case and have been outspoken about my belief the justice system as a whole is racist and corrupt and needs to be brought down at the very least. I'd have a hell of a time serving because I dont believe the system can give people a fair trial. given my beliefs, and the fact that i dont have a few problems with the justice system, but have HUGE MAJOR problems with the entire way of it, would I have to serve?

I personally had a speech all planned out that i seriously was ready to give. "do you feel there is any reason you cant serve on this jury?". Well yes officer actually there is, I believe the system is corrupt, that cops are racist thugs, and that the justice system is flat out racist and irredeemable.

haha

you'd probably blacklist yourself if you told them that! :lol::lol::lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    a system that can let mumia, peltier, and the wm3 rot for decades in prison, is not one i even care to deal with at all.
  • Options

haha

You might get a few years yourself.....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    a system that can let mumia, peltier, and the wm3 rot for decades in prison, is not one i even care to deal with at all.

so you would not serve on the jury, even if you knew you could be that 'one juror' that was holding up a unanimous vote to send completely innocent people to death row?

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    g under p wrote:
    BTW if you are a felon can even serve on jury duty?

Peace
    I believe it depends on which state you live in. But being eligible and being selected are 2 different things. I'd think it would depend on if it were a civil or criminal case, what your offense was and how long ago it happened.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251

haha

The justice system isn't racist. The system dosent discriminate, the people that run the system do. I just thought there was a difference.
    I'll be back
  • Options
    I'm 26 and I've served once. It was a one day process and I got paid $50. Not too bad, since I was a college student with nothing else going on.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    I've been summoned twice by the county court from where I grew up. However, I was attending college an hour away so I was able to get an exemption both times. Can't say that I didn't mind not having to drive the hour, miss class in the process, and probably not get picked...
  • Options
    FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Never been called up, but if I ever do it won't take them long to get rid of me. I have diploma of justice administration and partially completed B. Criminology and criminal justice....they may just think I will be biased.