Options

a 'Live Backspacer' for Dr. Zoidberg

Comments

• Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Wow - that was intense! The last 3 songs just completely floored me - brilliant stuff. Thanks! I think we're not too far away from having a really good live compilation of backspacer that works as a thing in its own right. Not too bad a turnaround in a day (ok so the band did all the hard work!!). Personally I wouldn't change the last 3 songs at all, nor the got some / fixer link there. I liked this version of supersonic a lot - it had the kind of 'sneer' to it which I like. I also got really moved by amongst the waves.

In terms of the 'flow' of the thing, and getting the emotion of the songs as they are on the album, or surpassing it - I struggled a bit with unthought known and just breathe here - can't quite say why. I know I said I thought it would be good to have 'rich' studio like versions in terms of a full sound etc, but I found some of the overall effect a bit too rich - which is something I find about the album too. It's quite hard to describe what I mean by 'rich' - again it's something to do with the tone of the vocals, and maybe this is down to the digital recording stuff they are using nowadays - I think sometimes on backspacer Ed's voice doesn't sound quite human - there's an 'artificial' resonance creeping in, which maybe is to do with the digital taping. Dunno, not an expert on the tech stuff - just know what human singing sounds like!! Also this may be affected by my own system and the fact I was listening to mp3s - I'm not so well set up for digital as I am for vinyl any more.

I just thought that maybe with these two in particular - Unthought Known and Just Breathe, if there were different versions which had a more natural vocal, and / or reached some heights in terms of their delivery of the song.... I know Unthought known is a favourite of most people here. I wonder what the overall favourite live version would be... maybe we could include that. also Just Breathe didn't work for me nearly so well as Speed of Sound did - this latter song I thought had a lot of fragility there - which was what started to floor me going into the final three songs. Personally I wonder if there is a just breathe which has 'thinner' vocals - a bit more fragile.... OK, am going off into pretentious wannabe music critic territory again here - but then that's one of the reasons I come here :lol:

any thoughts?
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Sorry for the delay in evaluating your mix! Got hit by a double whammy of rogue virus attack, and rogue friend calling round to amuse me. Both of which have now been safely dispatched!

Have listened to the first 4 rockers so far - sounding pretty damned good!! These are just my opening two pennies - I'm not a religious fundamentalist - so people may disagree with this account!!

I think got some and the fixer are spot on, and work really well next to each other - amazing versions of those two songs, some of the best - and got me fired up and adrenalin pumping.... yep, more than on the album versions, so they fit the bill!!

Gonna see my friend I thought we could do better - there are a few vocal 'messups', and whilst the sound and instrumentation was first class - I think I've heard better versions of this song - I'll try the opener from Philly 3; since opening a show with the opening song is bound to have given it that 'coming out of the gates' effect we're wanting I think.

Feel free to disagree with me on this one - but I didn't get on too well with the Johnny guitar - the versions so far had been pretty 'heavy' which was good, but for me this last one meant the combined effect was Ed starting to stray into 'Hulk Hogan' territory.... hmmmm - I wonder if there is a subtler version floating around. I guess depending on the position the songs come in the actual show - after a slow number, after a heavy number etc, there is going to be different emphasis placed on that part of the live set, and how the song comes off.

So, don't crucify me I'll go back to it and listen to a few more now - what is most impressive is that the idea does actually work! - those two middle songs especially I thought - had me fired up more than the album versions, and DEFINITELY communicated something different from the album. 'Interesting' lol - I promise not to use this word again in this thread!! I know other fansites have done things like this before, but I wonder if anyone has yet tried to do it as a collaborative effort,,,.?

Thanks for listing this for us

RIght - back to work!!

Wow - that was intense! The last 3 songs just completely floored me - brilliant stuff. Thanks! I think we're not too far away from having a really good live compilation of backspacer that works as a thing in its own right. Not too bad a turnaround in a day (ok so the band did all the hard work!!). Personally I wouldn't change the last 3 songs at all, nor the got some / fixer link there. I liked this version of supersonic a lot - it had the kind of 'sneer' to it which I like. I also got really moved by amongst the waves.

In terms of the 'flow' of the thing, and getting the emotion of the songs as they are on the album, or surpassing it - I struggled a bit with unthought known and just breathe here - can't quite say why. I know I said I thought it would be good to have 'rich' studio like versions in terms of a full sound etc, but I found some of the overall effect a bit too rich - which is something I find about the album too. It's quite hard to describe what I mean by 'rich' - again it's something to do with the tone of the vocals, and maybe this is down to the digital recording stuff they are using nowadays - I think sometimes on backspacer Ed's voice doesn't sound quite human - there's an 'artificial' resonance creeping in, which maybe is to do with the digital taping. Dunno, not an expert on the tech stuff - just know what human singing sounds like!! Also this may be affected by my own system and the fact I was listening to mp3s - I'm not so well set up for digital as I am for vinyl any more.

I just thought that maybe with these two in particular - Unthought Known and Just Breathe, if there were different versions which had a more natural vocal, and / or reached some heights in terms of their delivery of the song.... I know Unthought known is a favourite of most people here. I wonder what the overall favourite live version would be... maybe we could include that. also Just Breathe didn't work for me nearly so well as Speed of Sound did - this latter song I thought had a lot of fragility there - which was what started to floor me going into the final three songs. Personally I wonder if there is a just breathe which has 'thinner' vocals - a bit more fragile.... OK, am going off into pretentious wannabe music critic territory again here - but then that's one of the reasons I come here :lol:

any thoughts?
    Tremors,

Wow, thank you for really putting some thought into this. You bring up some very good points. Here's what I have been thinking of since my last post and reading your post (See Below). Tell me what you think and help me fill in the holes. I will upload the new version tomorrow so we can have a listen to the revised "Backspacer Live"

1) Gonna See My Friend, Philly 3 2009
    2) Got Some, Salt Lake City 2009
    3) The Fixer, Bristow 2010
    4) Johnny Guitar, San Diego 2009
    5) Just Breathe, Dublin 2010
    6) Amongst The Waves, Kansas City 2010
    7) Unthought Known, Berlin 2010
    8) Supersonic, Portland 2009
    9) Speed Of Sound, Hartford 2010
    10) Force Of Nature, Boston 2010
    11) The End, Brisbane 2009

Also, the key here is to have a different show for each song. Let's figure out where we are going to get Johnny Guitar and Just Breathe from. This is definitely shaping up to be one kick-ass live version of Backspacer.

Edit 1 = Dublin 2010 for Just Breathe 9:34pm
    Edit 2 = San Diego 2009 for Johnny Guitar 9:40pm
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
  • Options
    That's great. Thanks. Will report back later once I've evaluated the music.

• Options
    Ouch!!

This is strong stuff! f'ckin amazing. I'm proud of you! Don't know how to best proceed from here..... probably listen again and see what others think to the overall flow and experience of the listed collection. That supersonic works really well in the mix - the End does also; with all the crowd stuff - kind of becomes a battle between song and audience. The only part now for me where I wanted to get taken higher was Force of Nature..... could you do with FoN what you did with Johnny Guitar??

That is a good record! Potent as hell.

Also, I have a title: 'Mixed Metaphor':- Backspacer Live

:D

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Ouch!!

This is strong stuff! f'ckin amazing. I'm proud of you! Don't know how to best proceed from here..... probably listen again and see what others think to the overall flow and experience of the listed collection. That supersonic works really well in the mix - the End does also; with all the crowd stuff - kind of becomes a battle between song and audience. The only part now for me where I wanted to get taken higher was Force of Nature..... could you do with FoN what you did with Johnny Guitar??

That is a good record! Potent as hell.

Also, I have a title: 'Mixed Metaphor':- Backspacer Live

:D
    'Mixed Metaphor':- Backspacer Live I love it, great title. I started listening to other versions of FoN, and I still think that the Boston version wins out. Give different versions of FoN a listen and let me know what you think, I haven't had a chance to listen to them all yet (played 11 times total), but I think that Boston wins out on this song. This has been fun putting this together. It is starting to sound real good. I think that Version 2 sounds better than Version 1.
  • Options
    Yeah - version 2 kicks ass!! Have listened a number of times today - and loving it.

I agree it's a really good version of Force of Nature - sounded better today than it did last night. Maybe I was just tired!! It's quite a simmering version - as in - doesn't boil over. It might be that I have a version that I have listened to a lot from one of the euro 2010 boots that I am comparing it in my head. Will have a check - don't listen to any more~! have a rest!!

Unless I hear my version of FoN standing out a lot more (I'll put it in the mix) - what we could do is stick with your version two, and cast around for feedback. Thanks for taking all the time to do this.... it hurts me to say it but I'm preferring this version to the actual album currently!! :lol:

Will post any update on Forces of Nature in the next couple of hours

• Options
    Given that I'm not even sure they played Force of Nature in Europe, and most of my older boots are sitting on my older computer which is currently elsewhere - why don't we stick with your Backspacer Live Version 2 as the best we can come up with for now. It's pretty damned hot in my book. I chose 'Mixed Metaphor' as a title because this is how Ed introduces our Unthought Known on our version! - I think it was originally to describe evenflow wasn't it?? Seems strangely fitting tho.... :shock:

What does anyone else think about this Version 2?

[edit] - we even managed to get Dimi's unthought known in there too!! 8-) All we need to do is add the thrilla's Reign Over Me as a bonus track and we're sorted!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Given that I'm not even sure they played Force of Nature in Europe, and most of my older boots are sitting on my older computer which is currently elsewhere - why don't we stick with your Backspacer Live Version 2 as the best we can come up with for now. It's pretty damned hot in my book. I chose 'Mixed Metaphor' as a title because this is how Ed introduces our Unthought Known on our version! - I think it was originally to describe evenflow wasn't it?? Seems strangely fitting tho.... :shock:

What does anyone else think about this Version 2?

[edit] - we even managed to get Dimi's unthought known in there too!! 8-) All we need to do is add the thrilla's Reign Over Me as a bonus track and we're sorted!

Bonus Tracks :D Some Who Covers, Of the Earth, Arms Aloft, Public Image ltd.... Where to begin? I see a Version 3 of 'Mixed Metaphor' - Backspacer Live in our future :D

I wish there was a European version of FoN, because you guys freakin' bring it to each show. On a scale of 1-10, you guys are an 11 when it comes to great audiences. Every time I listen to the European boots, I can feel the intensity. It's amazing.
  • Options
    You're spoiled, we're hungry. :lol:

Do you mean a Version 3 to improve on Version 2 - or a version 3 to add some bonus material?? Sounds like you are the man with the material. We can start with thrilla's Love Reign over me - though I'm never a great fan of 'loads' of bonus tracks. I think sticking two or three more on the end of backspacer might help lift the live version out of where the album finishes - I always think it's quite a downer!! I remember listening to Ed play before the Who at the House of Blues, and he'd written a comical 'last will and testament' leaving all his stuff to the Who. I always think The End sounds like a much more serious final set of words. So a couple to cheer him up a bit live - love reign over me - even the 'leaving my stuff to the who' :) although that is a) solo, and b) from years ago, so probably doesn't fit.

I think there were some great great covers in the recent tour - both arms aloft and Public Image I thought were brilliant. If you want to get your teeth into something else - you could seek out some great versions of those for us! I think my favourite Public Image was one of the last ones - maybe even Portugal. Pretty sure it was that. What do you think??

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Do you mean a Version 3 to improve on Version 2 - or a version 3 to add some bonus material?? Sounds like you are the man with the material. We can start with thrilla's Love Reign over me - though I'm never a great fan of 'loads' of bonus tracks. I think sticking two or three more on the end of backspacer might help lift the live version out of where the album finishes - I always think it's quite a downer!! I remember listening to Ed play before the Who at the House of Blues, and he'd written a comical 'last will and testament' leaving all his stuff to the Who. I always think The End sounds like a much more serious final set of words. So a couple to cheer him up a bit live - love reign over me - even the 'leaving my stuff to the who' :) although that is a) solo, and b) from years ago, so probably doesn't fit.

I think there were some great great covers in the recent tour - both arms aloft and Public Image I thought were brilliant. If you want to get your teeth into something else - you could seek out some great versions of those for us! I think my favourite Public Image was one of the last ones - maybe even Portugal. Pretty sure it was that. What do you think??
    I'm thinking a Version 3 to add some bonus material. I don't think we need much, but some bonus covers would make an nice addition. This is what I'm thinking:

12) Love Reign over me, London 2009
    13) Arms Aloft, ???
    14) Public Image LTD, ???
    15) Brain Damage, London 2010
    16) Of the Earth, Werchter 2010
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

I'm thinking a Version 3 to add some bonus material. I don't think we need much, but some bonus covers would make an nice addition. This is what I'm thinking:

13) Arms Aloft, ???
    16) Of the Earth, ???

Sounds cool!! Here's my two pennies - feel free to disagree. I think we should leave out Of the Earth, since I think that may show up again in the future in a better form. I agree about including the other covers, but I think I would go for Arms aloft, PI, then finish the album with Love Reign o'er me.

And how about this for a radical suggestion, and a bit of fun.... we START the whole album with Brain Damage! 8-)

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

13) Arms Aloft, ???
    16) Of the Earth, ???

Sounds cool!! Here's my two pennies - feel free to disagree. I think we should leave out Of the Earth, since I think that may show up again in the future in a better form. I agree about including the other covers, but I think I would go for Arms aloft, PI, then finish the album with Love Reign o'er me.

And how about this for a radical suggestion, and a bit of fun.... we START the whole album with Brain Damage! 8-)

I am not opposed to the 'Brain Damage" idea at the beginning, but it doesn't work with the version of "Gonna See My Friend" that we have because of the long pause and then Eddie saying "Are You Ready" I think that we should probably leave "Brain Damage" off. Here is Version 3 revised:

12) Arms Aloft, Venice 2010
    13) Public Image, Werchter 2010
    14) Love Reign over me, London 2009
  • Options
    That sounds great!!

Understood about BD opening. Would seem a shame to lose it altogether though - how about just before Love reign o'er me?

Are you going to put this version up or shall I make it myself??

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    That sounds great!!

Understood about BD opening. Would seem a shame to lose it altogether though - how about just before Love reign o'er me?

Are you going to put this version up or shall I make it myself??

I will put it up, I am trying to edit the beginning of Public Image so that the long pause is gone. I will post a link shortly.
  • Options
    Groovy. Thx. Dig your flashing avatar!!

• Options
    Version 3:

14) Brain Damage, London 2010
    15) Love Reign over me, London 2009
  • Options
    Version 3:

14) Brain Damage, London 2010
    15) Love Reign over me, London 2009

This looks fucking brilliant to me! I'm practically salivating already

• Options
    Mixed Metaphor: Backspacer Live (Version 3)

http://rearviewmirrorbootlegs.blogspot. ... pacer.html
  • Options
    Right on cue! I'm just getting towards the end of another run through of v2 - still sounding excellent. Thanks for putting so much work into this. It's said a lot - but in this case - you are well and truly the man!! :lol:

This is gonna be good!!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Right on cue! I'm just getting towards the end of another run through of v2 - still sounding excellent. Thanks for putting so much work into this. It's said a lot - but in this case - you are well and truly the man!! :lol:

This is gonna be good!!

You're very welcome and thanks for giving me all of the input on this project. I have had a lot of fun doing this, and I hope others will enjoy this too. We will have to tackle another album someday.

Let me know what you think about Version 3.
  • Options
    You have absolutely nailed the ending of this Cameron4President - and indeed the whole thing!!

The ending is perfect, and the reason I think this is the way you have a more gentle version of arms aloft coming out of The End, and a significant version. And as it came to an end I was thinking we need a right rocking Public Image - and it kicks in perfectly, then turns into a real tuneful version, with ace Lydon-esque vocals from Ed; and then into the final two....! gasp. The whole of the bonus stuff was making my eyes water, and seemed a really fitting way of doing a live version of this, drawing on the latest cover versions, with relevant themes to the touring of the album, over the studio process etc.

So yeah - this is brilliant!! Thanks for making it happen. I'm up for doing another one, whenever really - maybe we could do similar, and focus on the years of the 'tour' of each album, rather than having to pick from the entire catalogue - which would be a massive headache and give you sleepless nights!! I mean, 11 versions of Force of Nature..... how many versions of evenflow?? :lol:

How about a Vs mix next to celebrate the anniversary!?

• Options
    PS - arms aloft not so gentle with the volume turned up a bit now!! :lol: fits well for whatever reason

if we agree this is good enough for Dr Zoidberg to listen to - I'll post something over in his thread tomorrow. :D

I'm sure a lot of other people might like it too.

• Options
    thanks for posting these (sorry I missed this thread). I'll start listening to them on the drive to work Monday :)
  • Options
    thanks for posting these (sorry I missed this thread). I'll start listening to them on the drive to work Monday :)

Cool. This is starting to get a bit more fun! I think we have the Live Backspacer sorted now - thanks to Cameron4President stepping up to the challenge. I'll try and start a Vs one shortly - tho I imagine this will prove a little more difficult to reach agreement on - not least because hopefully there will be more people disagreeing!!

Thanks Stip, and thanks for your reviews. What I intend to do to try and focus our attention on how we want the 'live Vs' to turn out, is to read your Guided Tour of it first - since what we've been trying to do is find live versions that match with the themes and intention of each particular song. For me this Mixed Metaphor thing does deliver on a lot of these. No doubt there are superior versions..... but I think this works great, and we could have been here forever! :lol:

Many thanks for the reviews, and for bringing a bit of RM magic to PJ.com. I look forward to reading how you get on with the Live Backspacer. It would be interesting to hear what you think of a 'live album' concept in delivering the songs as a piece anyway. Go easy on us though!! :D

[edit] - if you don't have a set of Vs reviews yet, I think we should still try and tackle that album next, for a number of reasons....

• Options
    Vs have fun working that out .

Go 276 times played live
    animal 337
    daughter 416
    glorified g 116
    dissident 174
    w.m.a 87
    blood 161
    rwm 357
    rats 45 (not enough) fox theather atlanta 94 for me this one ...even if o2 2010 was amazing
    small town 329
    leash 114
    indifference 117

get to work tremors
  • Options
    Vs have fun working that out .

Go 276 times played live
    animal 337
    daughter 416
    glorified g 116
    dissident 174
    w.m.a 87
    blood 161
    rwm 357
    rats 45 (not enough) fox theather atlanta 94 for me this one ...even if o2 2010 was amazing
    small town 329
    leash 114
    indifference 117
    I think we are going to focus in just on the versions from the tours around the album release. Otherwise we will be in for a major headache!!

Also, there are bound to be 4 or 5 standout versions that people like Cameron4President already know about!! I'm all ears.

Did you listen to the backspacer mix Kev? What do you think? We got your Love Reign in there at the end!!

• Options
    I'm waiting to see what Cameron4President thinks - he might have got dragged into more than he's bargained for!! He's probably laid up in a darkened room right now trying to get the loop of 'SOMEWHERE THERE'S A SIREN SINGING....' out of his head.

:lol:

We got time......