how much older/younger would you date?

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
it seems i'm having trouble finding women around my age. it seems like everyone that shows interest is college age-27 or so or 40s n up! right now there are two girls interested, one is 25, the other in her 50s or so. i'm 34 but most people think i look around 26 so i guess that plays a part in it. perhaps i'm overthinking this n should just have fun while it's being offered but it just feels odd to think i was graduating high school while the one was finishing 3rd grade!
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Age means balls dude...as long as its over 18 ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I'm 24, I would go 18 and maybe 30ish. But that depends. I Would be going that 25 year old for sure.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Age means balls dude...as long as its over 18 ;)
    agreed
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    I don't think it's necessarily about an age factor, it's more to do with how much you have in common with a person. There are plenty of younger people out there who act a lot older, and there are plenty of older people who act younger. It should come down to how much you like the person and can see yourself continuing to like them - being with someone your own age doesn't automatically mean you have things in common or will actually like them. Go for what your gut tells you, not what you think society wants from you!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i've been with women a lot younger and a lot older
    who frickin knows
    i can't keep up with it

woman are fun and awesomely amazing @ all ages
    love them all
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I think age means something. For example, when people get attached to someone much older, it tends to age them. Also, when people go with people much younger, they don't have as much in common with them in terms of basic cultural background.

I don't date (because I'm married) but I'd say you might want to limit the age difference to 7 or 8 years only.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Depends on what dating means. Serious relationship dating? I'm 35 I'd go 10 down and maybe 7 up. But really all that goes out the window if the girl knocks your socks off.
  • I've been trying to feel this one out for a while. It is definitely seems to be largely based on personal preferences, and, for some people, I guess the law plays a part in helping them set their boundaries. ;)

I think I'm most comfortable around my peers, but probably would be okay dating up to about ten years older or five years younger.

I don't think it's unusual to see a woman, aged 23 or older herself, date a man 12 years older than her. And, I've seen a lot of women in their late twenties and up dating men 7-9 years younger.
    I carried a watermelon
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Mr. Unlost is 10 years older than I am. When we got married he was 38 and I was 28. The boyfriend before him was also 10 years older, we started dating when I was 22 and he was 32. The one before him was a year older.

If I was single I suspect I'd be uncomfortable dating anyone more than 10 years older or younger.

Except Neilybabes, of course. ;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Mr. Unlost is 10 years older than I am. When we got married he was 38 and I was 28. The boyfriend before him was also 10 years older, we started dating when I was 22 and he was 32. The one before him was a year older.

If I was single I suspect I'd be uncomfortable dating anyone more than 10 years older or younger.

Except Neilybabes, of course. ;)

I'm over 18 :D;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • I would go maybe five or six years younger and maybe seven years older??! Although if some 25 year old guy wanted to rock my world I wouldn't say no :lol:

I am starting to feel like single guys my age are a myth :?

Good luck :D
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    18-60
    I miss igotid88
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I agree with unlost dogs...I'd be most comfortable going 10 years younger or older. My husband is 10 years younger...before I met him I would have probably said 5 years in either direction...made me realize I wouldn't rule someone out because of age alone, as long as they can function as my partner and not my son or my dad :lol: When you meet someone and you click...you click. Seems like most of my friends have been dating guys 10 years younger lately. I think all the guys our age are married :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Seems like most of my friends have been dating guys 10 years younger lately. I think all the guys our age are married :lol:
    and the ones that aren't married are perving on the chicks near my age range, douchebags :lol::lol:

my age range is 18-37

18-22 for a fuck buddy relationship

23-37 for an actual relationship

god that sound's so bad
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I agree with unlost dogs...I'd be most comfortable going 10 years younger or older. My husband is 10 years younger...before I met him I would have probably said 5 years in either direction...made me realize I wouldn't rule someone out because of age alone, as long as they can function as my partner and not my son or my dad :lol: When you meet someone and you click...you click. Seems like most of my friends have been dating guys 10 years younger lately. I think all the guys our age are married :lol:

They are all married :( or want to date the young chippies :roll: . Or they just plain have hang-ups (not that I am bitter or anything :lol: )
    I agree with unlost dogs...I'd be most comfortable going 10 years younger or older. My husband is 10 years younger...before I met him I would have probably said 5 years in either direction...made me realize I wouldn't rule someone out because of age alone, as long as they can function as my partner and not my son or my dad :lol: When you meet someone and you click...you click. Seems like most of my friends have been dating guys 10 years younger lately. I think all the guys our age are married :lol:

They are all married :( or want to date the young chippies :roll: . Or they just plain have hang-ups (not that I am bitter or anything :lol: )
    chippies :lol: maybe the ones that aren't married are dead :|:lol: Or just have too much damn baggage :shock: :lol:

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025

chippies :lol: maybe the ones that aren't married are dead :|:lol: Or just have too much damn baggage :shock: :lol:
    hey hey hey!!! single here( well, divorced, still dont understand it but whatever) unsure what age you're speaking of but 42 aint dead!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    hey hey hey!!! single here( well, divorced, still dont understand it but whatever) unsure what age you're speaking of but 42 aint dead!!!
    We've got a live one! :thumbup: :mrgreen: Are you into the young chippies???

• I agree with unlost dogs...I'd be most comfortable going 10 years younger or older. My husband is 10 years younger...before I met him I would have probably said 5 years in either direction...made me realize I wouldn't rule someone out because of age alone, as long as they can function as my partner and not my son or my dad :lol: When you meet someone and you click...you click. Seems like most of my friends have been dating guys 10 years younger lately. I think all the guys our age are married :lol:

Really I just wanted to say chippies :lol: I am sure there are decent, single chaps my age. Well pretty sure :think:
  • Women ideally under 30, I am 26.
    No younger than 21 because they are immature under 21, some are immature over 21.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Really I just wanted to say chippies :lol: I am sure there are decent, single chaps my age. Well pretty sure :think:
    Is that what all the hip kids are saying these days? :lol: Oh they're out there...somewhere...I think.. :problem:

• Really I just wanted to say chippies :lol: I am sure there are decent, single chaps my age. Well pretty sure :think:
    Is that what all the hip kids are saying these days? :lol: Oh they're out there...somewhere...I think.. :problem:

You know it ;)

I think I will just start collecting cats and wearing tin foil hats.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I only date woman who are 2 years, 3 months and 10 days younger.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    mickeyrat wrote:
    We've got a live one! :thumbup: :mrgreen: Are you into the young chippies???
    think I'm into chippies period. if by chippies you mean good looking, intelligent, witty women. age isn't that big of a consideration. It is late twenties is probably my limit as for younger.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    edited October 2010
    I haven't read the whole thread but I've heard that within 5 years of your own age is ideal, it's the high school rule, you want them to be within the range that they might have been at high school with you(aag, can't remember what high school's called in the U.S.. The school you go to between the ages of 13-18ish, ie before you 'leave school' & go to uni or start working...) because it's those years you deveop a lot of your personality & have your main influences & then then they're going to have grown up with the same influeneces - music, tv, sport stars etc...
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • i don't think age really matters. if a younger girl is mature it should be ok, and if an older gal can let herself go and act as young as you feel that is just as cool....it just depends on what you are looking for...if you just want to lay chicks you don't have to have much of a conscience, yet if you want a relationship you need to be a little more careful so that you do not settle, or so you don't just deliberately dick over multiple girls...there is something to be said for being a player and for being the relationship kind....

if you jive together you jive together.

due to recently having my heart destroyed by a girl 8 years younger, i'm not even interested in dating anybody right now... i'm still way too vulnerable...but it is nice when girls pay attention to me. i feel so damaged that i am not even worth a second look, but as time goes on it is getting a little easier....don't get me wrong, i get women throwing themselves at me all the time due to being in my band, and i get a lot of attention from women, but i have never been one to indulge in that kind of thing. i have always been the relationship kind of guy. in my experience sex is alright but it is 1000% better if you are in love...i'm 35 and i'm at the point where i associate sex with love, and being this age i can't bring myself to just sleep with a gal if i am not in love. 10 years ago yes, but not now. i feel like i have outgrown all of that. yes it was fun, but not fulfilling if you know what i mean..

good luck pepe, i know its rough out there, but you can't go on a quest for the right girl, they say the right one will find you... just don't be so arrogant that you are unwilling to be found....
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • I think the gap widens as you get older...

When I was 22 I started dating an 18 year old (lasted a couple of years). Four years seemed like a big difference when we started (I was just out of college, she was just out of high school... very different stages of life).

When I met my wife, I was 30, she was 22... I wasn't sure at first, but she was much more mature than most girls her age. I am now 36 and she is 27 and we are so alike it doesn't seem like we are apart in age at all.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    just don't be so arrogant that you are unwilling to be found....
    This i really like. agreed with all the rest but this hits it spot on.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you know what?? if youre thinking about it then its a problem.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    you know what?? if youre thinking about it then its a problem.
    or just seeking the validation for an answer hes already got.