What to do when your boss never takes responsibility?

__ Posts: 6,651
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Do any of you have bosses like this - or have you in the past? What do you do about it (if you can't quit your job)?

In the nearly 8 years I've worked for him, I've never heard my boss take responsibility for anything. He's a total micro-manager, so he doesn't really let anyone just do their job as they see fit. But he's also like an ADHD Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, so he wants things done however he feels like they should be done at any given time, but then changes his mind about what he wants and blames everyone else for not doing what he wanted.

I'll give you three examples:

1. Part of my job is to make the schedules for about 75 physicians to cover 3 inpatient services (which require 24/7 coverage) and 5 clinics. My boss has agreed to follow certain guidelines with the schedules and he tells me it's my job to make sure they're followed and he holds me responsible when they're not. But then he constantly steps in and tells me exactly who to schedule when - usually for his own benefit or because he thinks whatever random idea has popped into his mind at any given moment is a good one. What he tells me frequently conflicts with the guidelines he has established, but he doesn't want to hear it.

For instance, he said I have to make sure our fellows have at least 4 days off per month. Nine months ago when we did the inpatient schedules for the year, he told me to give the fellows two inpatient weeks each in February, despite my cautioning him that I thought this was too much. Now when it's come time to do the daily clinic schedules and make sure everyone gets their 4 days off, it's not mathematically possible. (I know it would be ideal to figure these things out before scheduling the inpatient weeks, but we can't do the clinic schedules as far in advance as we have to do the inpatient schedules.) One of the fellows is now scheduled to work 26 out of 28 days in February, with 14 of those days being 24-hr shifts. That's too much whether we have guidelines or not, but we absolutely cannot pull her off any inpatient weeks. So today when I told him we'll have to cancel two days of clinic in order for her to get 4 days off, he blamed me for screwing up, saying "Well you're the one who did the inpatient schedule!" (And if I so much as politely point out that he's the one who made me schedule it that way, he'll say, "Well you don't have to get defensive!" or he'll just flat out deny it.)

2. I have to take minutes for a monthly committee meeting we have. Ideally, we would get the minutes out within a week of the meeting and everyone would complete the action items assigned to them by the next meeting. But in reality, this frequently doesn't happen because when something else pops into my boss's consciousness he wants me to stop everything and do the new thing right away - and this happens several times a day. (I swear, I can't work like this much longer.) So they often don't get done until the week of the next meeting, when it's the meeting that's foremost on his mind and he tells me to stop everything and do the minutes. This has never been a problem for the committee. He complains that people don't have time to complete their action items, but I think if they agreed to do something they should be responsible for getting it done whether I send out a reminder in the minutes or not. Also, he has to take the minutes when I'm out and he never does them until the night before the next meeting, so obviously it's not that big a deal. So our next meeting was scheduled for tomorrow and he specifically asked me to send out a reminder yesterday even though he knew the minutes wouldn't be done until today (because he had told me to drop everything and do the schedules). But today he realized he double-booked himself and decided to cancel tomorrow's meeting because of it. But when he told me to send out a notice that it's canceled, he said he's having to cancel it not because he fucked up his schedule, but because I didn't do the minutes in time - despite the fact that late minutes have never been a reason to cancel a meeting and even yesterday he thought we should have the meeting anyway.

3. This one happened when I was about a year into this job. We have a resident training grant and part of the documentation process is that the residents must complete surveys before and after their training so the funder can assess whether it's having the desired impact. All this was set up before I was hired, but when I was hired I was told about the grant and that I'm responsible for collecting these surveys. I run the training & manage the grant, so by this time I was confident that I had a pretty good handle on everything. So one day my boss tells me to complete an annual progress report for the Human Research Review Committee. This is the committee that makes sure we comply with all the regulations when we do research on people. Apparently, unbeknownst to me and before I was even hired, he decided he might want to publish something about our training program some day, using information from the surveys. This makes the residents study subjects. So I'm completing this progress report for the "study" and it says we need to submit our last signed consent. What consent? I didn't know anything about any consent. No one even told me this was a study. I had never seen a consent and certainly hadn't been collecting them before getting the residents to complete the surveys required for the grant. Well that put us - him, really, since it's his study - into some really deep shit! They view it the same as if we were injecting patients with HIV or something without getting their consent. Thankfully, they decided to give us a slap on the wrist and just require us to go to a training about the importance of regulating research on human subjects (really interesting class, actually). But he had a fit and wrote an official letter (which he actually made me type up and deliver) saying it was all my fault that I failed to comply with study requirements. His idea of taking responsibility in the matter was to say that he shouldn't have trusted me to work without closer supervision.

Anyway, sorry for the dissertation. (Brevity has never been my strong suit. :oops: ) Maybe I just needed to get that off my chest. But these are just a few examples of what happens on a regular basis and it's so frustrating. It's like working with a 5-year-old who always points the finger at someone else when he's in trouble, except since he's smarter than a 5-year-old he's able to be more manipulative.

I just don't know what to do about it. I feel like I can't win. The administration knows how he is; everyone has a hard time working with him for many more reasons than just this one. They made him go to personality training for awhile when we started losing medical assistants and faculty started threatening to quit. I'm the third staff person in my position and the previous two didn't last for more than 6 months. But he's a brilliant, internationally renowned physician who does great things for our patients and brings in more clinical revenue than any other faculty member. And he's actually a good guy except for his personality problems. I mean, he's not evil or mean-spirited or anything - just self-serving.

Has anyone else here ever been in a similar situation? How did you deal with it? :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Suggest a picture of your boss, a dartboard, dart and GO at full volume!
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    Make a voodoo doll of him, and stab it frequently. :lol: I swear - this will make you feel SOOOOOOOOOO much better. ;)
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    yea my boss has borderline personality disorder or something. he changes his mind on how my job should be done daily. i just stick with the way i'm doing and eventually he'll believe that's what he told me to do
  • Send him to that Chilean mine and drop him down that hole.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,021
    . Sit down with him and state what you have here. then document the changes he wants to implement as he directs them. Ask him to sign it.That way you have have his direction on paper.

For myself , when I've had the opportunity to see my behavior on paper, that went a long way to helping me change that behavior.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Pretend you are his boss and just do a great job, even if it means covering his ass. Your efforts will be rewarded.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,437
    agree with the post above. get everything in writing. when he suggests a change make him put it into an email for you so when he questions it later you can just resend the email saying he was just following directions. for the minutes to meetings when he suggest that something else takes priority tell him then that it will push the minutes of the meeting deadline back a day to do this and confirm with him that it is ok. whenever a change is requested by him tell him then how that will affect work duties. immediately tell him via email that doing A will cause B to be delayed an hour, a day, a month. etc. i work in a small office and in some ways we had the same issues but we've kind of made it so everything is in writing now so there is at least a history to it. it really does work and makes people more focused on directions.
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    punch him right in the ear hole
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Hire me to follow him around and give him the "Claar glare" for a day or so. That usually sets people straight. We won't talk about step 2, unless step 1 doesn't work.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    the boss can do whatever he/she wants.
    at least that's how it works when i am the boss.
    and believe me, i am the boss @ everything, everywhere i am.

scb, you're fired.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGlv2Rk5RcA
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Hire me to follow him around and give him the "Claar glare" for a day or so. That usually sets people straight. We won't talk about step 2, unless step 1 doesn't work.

Does step 2 require you putting your pants back on?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    i agree with the ones that have said to get stuff in writing, use something that has Date/time stamp on it, or write stuff down and have him sign it that he agrees to said plan/procedure.
    my last boss was ADHD or something too, he would tell me, 'Order whatever drugs Dr. X needs, whatever the cost'. Dr. X told me he only wanted one drug to be stocked, so I ordered it, then I get yelled at that it was too expensive and they'd never use it. After Dr. X left the clinic, we used up all of the drug in a few emergency cases, and then my boss told me to keep it in stock.....should have kept a diary of this whole thing to show him how indecisive he was.....:crazy:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    why the throwing around of ADHD around?
    that's silly.
    i have extreme attention disorder and i know what i say to people.
    i know exactly what i hear and do.
    that is screwy.

you people have bosses with more issues than just ADHD.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    chadwick wrote:
    that's silly.
    that is screwy.

I have more issues than National Geographic.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    Well, don't act frustrated like me.

I ended up on probation for 2 months because of it. :oops:
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    chadwick wrote:
    that's silly.
    that is screwy.

Shall we call them control issues? Narcissistic Issues? 'Afflicted with Bi-Polar like tendencies'?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    chadwick wrote:
    that's silly.
    that is screwy.

I have more issues than National Geographic.
    you're all over it

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    4and20 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    that's silly.
    that is screwy.

Shall we call them control issues? Narcissistic Issues? 'Afflicted with Bi-Polar like tendencies'?
    like that, yes.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • TS96221TS96221 Posts: 45
    I hope you didn't type this thread at work. He could be reading it via a keylogger.

your thread about your boss reminds me of how I dislike people. I've had bosses like him.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    scb wrote:
    The administration knows how he is; everyone has a hard time working with him for many more reasons than just this one. They made him go to personality training for awhile when we started losing medical assistants and faculty started threatening to quit. I'm the third staff person in my position and the previous two didn't last for more than 6 months. But he's a brilliant, internationally renowned physician who does great things for our patients and brings in more clinical revenue than any other faculty member. And he's actually a good guy except for his personality problems. I mean, he's not evil or mean-spirited or anything - just self-serving.

regardless of whether he's "brilliant", why is he an administrator? he sounds completely incompetent for the job he has and yet is backed by the administration? i'd say this is unbelievable but this is how businesses and our governments are run now a days
  • quit.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Haha... you guys crack me up. And thanks so much for the good advice.

I try to keep good documentation (which I think offends him). I try to get him to email me about everything, but he likes to call me with his responses, so I have a notebook where I write down what he tells me on the phone and in person.

When I'm talking to him and he's blaming me, though, I don't usually have time to sort through all my documentation to provide the evidence to refute him. If I do, he'll say I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Even if I just mention that I did something because it's what he told me to do, without busting out any documentation, he says I'm being defensive.

But nearly 8 years of being blamed for everything can really add up. And I know it adds up in his mind too. Let's say we have 3 problems with the schedule in a month and he blames me for them each time and each time I point out that they were actually his mistakes. He'll either drop it (without actually taking responsibility) or he'll deny it ("I never would have told you to do that"). If I then show him the email where he did in fact tell me that, he'll say I'm being defensive and then drop it without really taking responsibility. But then at the end of the month when our fellows are exhausted from working the unreasonable schedules he made me give them, he'll tell me I need to do a better job on the schedules from now on.

My job would actually be so perfect, too, if I had a better boss.
    scb wrote:
    Haha... you guys crack me up. And thanks so much for the good advice.

I try to keep good documentation (which I think offends him). I try to get him to email me about everything, but he likes to call me with his responses, so I have a notebook where I write down what he tells me on the phone and in person.

When I'm talking to him and he's blaming me, though, I don't usually have time to sort through all my documentation to provide the evidence to refute him. If I do, he'll say I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Even if I just mention that I did something because it's what he told me to do, without busting out any documentation, he says I'm being defensive.

But nearly 8 years of being blamed for everything can really add up. And I know it adds up in his mind too. Let's say we have 3 problems with the schedule in a month and he blames me for them each time and each time I point out that they were actually his mistakes. He'll either drop it (without actually taking responsibility) or he'll deny it ("I never would have told you to do that"). If I then show him the email where he did in fact tell me that, he'll say I'm being defensive and then drop it without really taking responsibility. But then at the end of the month when our fellows are exhausted from working the unreasonable schedules he made me give them, he'll tell me I need to do a better job on the schedules from now on.

My job would actually be so perfect, too, if I had a better boss.

ever tell him he's a jerk-off?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mickeyrat wrote:
    . Sit down with him and state what you have here. then document the changes he wants to implement as he directs them. Ask him to sign it.That way you have have his direction on paper.

For myself , when I've had the opportunity to see my behavior on paper, that went a long way to helping me change that behavior.

I need to be better at this. I'm too nonconfrontational. (No, really, it's true! ;) ) He's actually pretty sensitive and doesn't take criticism well. He'll get all hurt and then get defensive and turn everything around to blame me again. And then I just give up. Or sometimes he'll try to do better (especially when he was getting personality training) but it never lasts. And inevitably I feel bad for hurting his feelings.
    scb wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

I need to be better at this. I'm too nonconfrontational. (No, really, it's true! ;) ) He's actually pretty sensitive and doesn't take criticism well. He'll get all hurt and then get defensive and turn everything around to blame me again. And then I just give up. Or sometimes he'll try to do better (especially when he was getting personality training) but it never lasts. And inevitably I feel bad for hurting his feelings.
    you are not used to him and everyone else walking all over you?
    he was getting "personality training"?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    that's silly.
    that is screwy.

That last part is certainly true! I threw in the ADHD part because the man can't focus on one way of doing things and follow it through. He actually changes his mind in the middle of his sentence sometimes and I can't figure out what the hell he's talking about. Actually, I'd say most of the time I don't know what the hell he's talking about. I just scowl and nod. Many times when I ask him to clarify what he wants me to do he'll get all impatient & irritated and say, "I don't have time for this!"
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    There are some good books out there on dealing with narcissists. Maybe check some out of the library?

It sounds like you can't say anything back to him. I think he'll fire you if you outline everything like you did here.

You've worked for him for 8 years? wow...

maybe he has borderline personality disorder.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    scb wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    that's silly.
    that is screwy.

That last part is certainly true! I threw in the ADHD part because the man can't focus on one way of doing things and follow it through. He actually changes his mind in the middle of his sentence sometimes and I can't figure out what the hell he's talking about. Actually, I'd say most of the time I don't know what the hell he's talking about. I just scowl and nod. Many times when I ask him to clarify what he wants me to do he'll get all impatient & irritated and say, "I don't have time for this!"
    scb, what exactly do you do?

i hope my ADD/ADHD is not as screwy as what you describe here.
    although i am told i cannot tell a story without fucking it all up, im all over the place and have to try very hard to stay on one track rather than several different tracks. it is grueling, believe me.
    because of this i fail at life.

your boss sounds like he has multiple problems like 4&20 said

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Well, don't act frustrated like me.

I ended up on probation for 2 months because of it. :oops:
    chadwick wrote:
    ever tell him he's a jerk-off?

Haha... yeah, unfortunately sometimes (about once every year or two) I get frustrated enough to tell him how I feel about some things. That usually doesn't end particularly well. :lol: The last, and worst, time was this past spring. He was actually pretty fucking pissed, in part because he had no idea why I would be upset. It took him a couple of months to calm down enough to talk to me about it (after I avoided him for the first couple of days and then went out of town). When he did, he just made his case for why he was right and I was wrong and I just gave up on him ever understanding and tried to acknowledge his feelings. I actually felt a little bit bad (though I don't think I had been mean or anything - just really direct). Like I said, he's not evil; he just really doesn't get it. He lives in his owl little alternate reality.
    norm wrote:
    scb wrote:
    The administration knows how he is; everyone has a hard time working with him for many more reasons than just this one. They made him go to personality training for awhile when we started losing medical assistants and faculty started threatening to quit. I'm the third staff person in my position and the previous two didn't last for more than 6 months. But he's a brilliant, internationally renowned physician who does great things for our patients and brings in more clinical revenue than any other faculty member. And he's actually a good guy except for his personality problems. I mean, he's not evil or mean-spirited or anything - just self-serving.

regardless of whether he's "brilliant", why is he an administrator? he sounds completely incompetent for the job he has and yet is backed by the administration? i'd say this is unbelievable but this is how businesses and our governments are run now a days

I never really thought about it like this. He's the director of our program because 1) he started the program, and 2) he's the one with the medical skills and experience to direct the program. Management skills aren't really a consideration.