Going to San Fran.

2»

Comments

• I don't think it's just the west. I grew up in the Toronto area and moved to Ottawa four years ago. Not much love for Toronto here. I think it's that stereotypical "Toronto vs. the rest of Canada" mentality that irks people.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    I dont know about the sports teams per se but politics is behind the main reason me thinks.....Alberta doesnt like giving large transfer payments to the East to support the rest of the country....plus there are a hell of a lot of red necks that live here.....the funny thing is that most of them are from the East lol
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • lol 81

Went there this past June and loved it. I stayed at a friends house near Lombard and Jones st in the North Beach area and pretty much walked everywhere (except when we didn't want to waste time). Definitely check out Alcatraz and the GGB. Haight-Ashbury is pretty cool but seemed kind of touristy but go anyway it is pretty cool. The whole city screams character and has so much history...such an awesome place. I can see why my friend moved there and cant wait to go out there again and hang out now that I got a lot of the site seeing done.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
    How long you gonna be in town?

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, great views of the Bay. Hopefully its sunny that day. Golden Gate Park, walk along upper Haight during the day, Cal Academy of Sciences, Baker Beach, Ferry Building on Saturday morning (get the porcetta sandwich from Roli Roti, be prepared for the long line!), Have a dinner at the Cheescake Factory overlooking Union Square at night, sit outside, it's pretty awesome. Toronado for a beer, great local microbrews. Also, you're gonna be VERY close to the Mark Hopkins Hotel, check out The Top of the Mark bar, it has great panoramic views of the city. A tad pricey, 7-8 bucks for a beer but grab a beer and enjoy the view. Dress casual nice.

If you have time, a visit to Berkeley is pretty cool, lived there for 5 years. Love it. If in Berkeley, check out Cancun taqueria (get something with carnitas), Zachary's Pizza (get the spinach and mushroom deep dish), Cheeseboard pizza, Ici Ice Cream, La Note for breakfast. Jupiter's for a brew. Walk around campus, school will be in full swing. Oregon vs. Cal game going on that weekend, Berkeley will be packed on Saturday. I'll probably be at the game.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Sorry to hear you had a bad year. 4 days in SF will be great! Here is a list of things I would recommend, and thanks for giving me a fun activity to kill time at work.

California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park- killer museum complete with aquarium, 4-story rainforest, planetarium, living roof and an albino alligator. This is also one of the greenest buildings in the country. The restaurant, The Moss Room, is beautiful and delicious. If you go, also check out the De Young Museum across the concourse. The top floor is all windows and has 360 degree view of the city. Depending on the current exhibition, you may want to hit the museum there too, but that would be a big day.
    Golden Gate Park- beautiful park full of gardens, museums, lakes, buffalo. Take some time to walk around for sure.

Amoeba Records and Haight Street- a kick ass record store and a lot of locals, tourists and a shit ton of history. Cool stores, good souveniors, good bars and restaurants.

Walk, run or rent a bike and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. This is one of my personal favorites. I usually run across the bridge at least once a week. Very cool way to see the city.

If you rent a car, go to Muir Woods in Marin County and see the Redwoods. There are great hikes ranging in time from 30 minutes to several hours to all day. On your way back stop for lunch or a beer the Pelican Inn, a great English-style pub. It is about 2-3 miles down the road on your right after leaving the woods. Great food and great beer. Muir Beach is right there too, a great stop after the Pelican Inn.

Hit North Beach/Chinatown one night for dinner and drinks, I would say Thursday, because weekends become very bridge and tunnel.

Alcatraz is cool, but if you decide to do it, I recommend the night tour for sure. Day trips are super packed and the night trips are creepy and more interesting. You go into parts of the prison that aren’t on the regular tour.

Take the N-Judah or drive to Ocean Beach, especially if it is sunny. I recommend cocktails at the Cliff House during sunset. The Cliff House is a restaurant ad tourist spot, but the bar is a local hang out. This is my neighborhood and it is one of my locals. If you take the N it is about a 1.5 mile walk along the beach to the Cliff House.

Food and drink is a huge part of the culture here,and a great way to see the different neighborhoods, so if you are interested I can PM you a list of places I would recommend.

Fisherman’s Wharf is a total tourist trap, but it can be fun, if you know what you are getting. It is kind of SF’s answer to Times Square.

Lots of live music. These are my favorite places to see shows. They all have great sound and the calendars look good for the weekend you are here. Also check out the Fillmore website for a list of their shows.

http://www.theindependentsf.com/calendar/calendar-grid/
    http://www.bottomofthehill.com/calendar.html
    http://www.theeparkside.com/calendar.html

Those Berkeley recommendations are great too! Hope you have a great trip!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Sorry to hear you had a bad year. 4 days in SF will be great! Here is a list of things I would recommend, and thanks for giving me a fun activity to kill time at work.

California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park- killer museum complete with aquarium, 4-story rainforest, planetarium, living roof and an albino alligator. This is also one of the greenest buildings in the country. The restaurant, The Moss Room, is beautiful and delicious. If you go, also check out the De Young Museum across the concourse. The top floor is all windows and has 360 degree view of the city. Depending on the current exhibition, you may want to hit the museum there too, but that would be a big day.
    Golden Gate Park- beautiful park full of gardens, museums, lakes, buffalo. Take some time to walk around for sure.

Amoeba Records and Haight Street- a kick ass record store and a lot of locals, tourists and a shit ton of history. Cool stores, good souveniors, good bars and restaurants.

Walk, run or rent a bike and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. This is one of my personal favorites. I usually run across the bridge at least once a week. Very cool way to see the city.

If you rent a car, go to Muir Woods in Marin County and see the Redwoods. There are great hikes ranging in time from 30 minutes to several hours to all day. On your way back stop for lunch or a beer the Pelican Inn, a great English-style pub. It is about 2-3 miles down the road on your right after leaving the woods. Great food and great beer. Muir Beach is right there too, a great stop after the Pelican Inn.

Hit North Beach/Chinatown one night for dinner and drinks, I would say Thursday, because weekends become very bridge and tunnel.

Alcatraz is cool, but if you decide to do it, I recommend the night tour for sure. Day trips are super packed and the night trips are creepy and more interesting. You go into parts of the prison that aren’t on the regular tour.

Take the N-Judah or drive to Ocean Beach, especially if it is sunny. I recommend cocktails at the Cliff House during sunset. The Cliff House is a restaurant ad tourist spot, but the bar is a local hang out. This is my neighborhood and it is one of my locals. If you take the N it is about a 1.5 mile walk along the beach to the Cliff House.

Food and drink is a huge part of the culture here,and a great way to see the different neighborhoods, so if you are interested I can PM you a list of places I would recommend.

Fisherman’s Wharf is a total tourist trap, but it can be fun, if you know what you are getting. It is kind of SF’s answer to Times Square.

Lots of live music. These are my favorite places to see shows. They all have great sound and the calendars look good for the weekend you are here. Also check out the Fillmore website for a list of their shows.

http://www.theindependentsf.com/calendar/calendar-grid/
    http://www.bottomofthehill.com/calendar.html
    http://www.theeparkside.com/calendar.html

Those Berkeley recommendations are great too! Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks alot for all this info. as my day goes on i am looking more and more to get out of here and go there. it would be great if you can Pm me some different places. one question, i am going there by myself so my question is do people talk to you if they don't know you or is it more "cliqie" I am not shy and like to talk to people.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I'll send you a PM with more recommendations. SF can be quite cliquish, but I will send you recommendations with places to go where people tend to be more friendly. Are you more of a dive bar/casual bar or do you like more upscale?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'll talk to you, if you wanna fly me out. :D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    pandora wrote:
    The-incredible-canopy-of-the-Muir-Woods-900.jpgRun on over to Muir Woods and feel like a hobbit for a day! :D

Oh yes, Muir woods and then Calistoga, how about the Wine Country - just lovely and the wine, awesome...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    City Lights Books & Chinatown
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    go to the grateful dead's house
    710 haight ashbury street or something
    just seen it on a video a few hrs ago
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81 wrote:
    i'll talk to you, if you wanna fly me out. :D

even though you are a flyer fan i will not fly you out. i would buy you a beer but that about it
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,830
    My friend used to live there, he now lives in San Rafael. When I visited him I saw Fisherman's Wharf, Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown and a SF Giants game (beautiful ballpark). Wanted to see Alcatraz but it was booked.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    I'll send you a PM with more recommendations. SF can be quite cliquish, but I will send you recommendations with places to go where people tend to be more friendly. Are you more of a dive bar/casual bar or do you like more upscale?

thanks, more of a casual bar type guy, but if you know places that are upscale that are fun that would be great. sorry for all the favors :)
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    7 years since we were there but SF is a great place. As probably recommended by others.

Alcatraz. Do the night tour for a great view of the skyline at night
    Hire a bike and cycle over the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito for lunch and get the ferry back.
    Fisherman's Wharf to see and smell the seals. Watch the buskers
    Walk around and explore.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    mikalina wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    The-incredible-canopy-of-the-Muir-Woods-900.jpgRun on over to Muir Woods and feel like a hobbit for a day! :D

Oh yes, Muir woods and then Calistoga, how about the Wine Country - just lovely and the wine, awesome...
    Best time Sonoma..I wanted to retire there...sighs
    the countryside so lovely and wine 3 times a day, I could do that! ;)