Going to San Fran.

fifefife Posts: 3,327
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So i just recently book a trip to San Fran. for nov. 11 and i was wondering where should i go. I am staying at a hotel called the Fairmont. can anyone here give me some places to go and see. Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Alcatraz...make sure you reserve a day in advance...every time I went, they were sold out ALL DAY! :twisted:
    Fishermans Warf...ask RYZE she lives in the area.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    4and20 wrote:
    Alcatraz...make sure you reserve a day in advance...every time I went, they were sold out ALL DAY! :twisted:

I heard fishermans is a rip off. but i might still go just to see.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    fife wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

nah its awesome there..abit expensive,but the aquarium is worth it alone
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    chiquimonkey lives there too, I'm sure she'd be happy to give you some advice
  • I second the Alcatraz recommendation. Take the self-guided audio tour, it's really cool. Should take about 3 or so hours from start to finish including the ferry ride over. You can purchase tickets from this site: http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/
    Fisherman's wharf is free but it's just a bunch of people gathered around to look at the seals (or sea lions). Plus they have a bunch of shops and restaurants. Also check out Haight & Ashbury - center of the peace & love hippie movement. I think Janis Joplin and the Greatful Dead's houses are somehwere around there. Coit tower is a pretty cool place to get 360 views of the city and the bay and of course the GG bridge. Golden Gate park is cool and pretty close to Haight/Ashbury...this is just a cool district altogether. Lots of hills and although the actual city is rather small it can seem like it takes forever to walk anywhere. Also, the Rams play the niners on the 14th so if you're a football fan, I'd definitely check that out. Have fun! I love that city :D
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    The science museum is tops.

North beach Pizza in the room one night.

Golden Gate park is absolutely awesome.

The ocean at Judah.

Haight Ashbury is cool. Not so cool late night though.

Union Square, cool.

MoMs Body Shop, good tattoo shop. One of many.

A bowl of chowder at the sourdough bakery.

Get a loaf of sourdough cinnamon raisin bread to carry around as survival food. At the Wharf.

The night tour at Alcatraz kicks ass.

You have room for me?
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    fife wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

nah its awesome there..abit expensive,but the aquarium is worth it alone

+1 for the aquarium...I mean, how often do you get to go to SanFran? I lived in San Jose for a bit and we went to SF every weekend, every weekend we didn't get to see Alcatraz. If you like cheezy, the Ripley's museum is fun, the old miner's shaft is a joke, parking alone will cost you an arm and a leg...
    OH! and I liked the exploratorium...the had a 'touch' dome, it's completely black in there, but you're supposed to 'feel' your way around, go down slides, climb up ladders....we were the last group to go, so the girl working it let us go in again and hang out in the loft for a while....she told us 'no smoking' ... :cry: still really fun!
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/visit/tactile_dome/
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    How many days are you going to be here and what kinds of things do you like to do? Museums, outdoors, shopping, music, are you a foodie, drinking, live music, tourist hot spots, local hot spots? What kind of budget?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Fairmont's a nice hotel... Was just there a couple of months ago...

Are you going for just one night?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    How many days are you going to be here and what kinds of things do you like to do? Museums, outdoors, shopping, music, are you a foodie, drinking, live music, tourist hot spots, local hot spots? What kind of budget?

I am going for 4 days. just need to get away from everything. really bad year. I don't get away alot and i am up for anything. I love Food and music. I rather go to places where locals hang out just because i feel you get more of a feeling when you talk with people who live somewhere. where I live in Toronto i tend to go to pubs, Museums and restaurants. concerning budget, i don't want to go crazy but i am not on a strict budget. maybe 500 for the 4 days.

no going for 4 days. i don't know much about the hotel but my brother says that it is in a good location.
    The science museum is tops.

North beach Pizza in the room one night.

Golden Gate park is absolutely awesome.

The ocean at Judah.

Haight Ashbury is cool. Not so cool late night though.

Union Square, cool.

MoMs Body Shop, good tattoo shop. One of many.

A bowl of chowder at the sourdough bakery.

Get a loaf of sourdough cinnamon raisin bread to carry around as survival food. At the Wharf.

The night tour at Alcatraz kicks ass.

You have room for me?
    thanks for the suggestion. sorry no room for you ;)
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    One of the greatest cities in the states. You have to go to the Berkeley Campus and check out the vibe. While there, visit the ISHI museum, its amazing....oh and drink lots of red wine down there, its the good stuff.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
    fife wrote:

no going for 4 days. i don't know much about the hotel but my brother says that it is in a good location.
    Great location... Easy to get to everything...

Close to Chinatown, which is a must...

Will be in town this weekend, so I am as excited as you are...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    One of the greatest cities in the states. You have to go to the Berkeley Campus and check out the vibe. While there, visit the ISHI museum, its amazing....oh and drink lots of red wine down there, its the good stuff.

don't worry about the wine. I from Portugal and we like our red wine. also, i know Sf weather is weird but what would the weather be like there in November.
    fife wrote:

don't worry about the wine. I from Portugal and we like our red wine. also, i know Sf weather is weird but what would the weather be like there in November.
    Weird :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    fife wrote:

Weird :lol:

thanks. i heard that it is the sweater capital of the world.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,044
    Yo!!! I lived in San Fran for five years, love that city. I would still be there but Military duty wanted me elsewhere.. If you want some really great food go to House of Nanking (919 Kearny), when your done eating there walk a few blocks to Vesuvio (255 Columbus) and have some drinks.. It's in the North Beach area, Jack Keouac alley, cool atmosphere and by Broadway as well.. San Fran's a great city..
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    4and20 wrote:

Definetly - Alcatraz.... I thought it was worth it.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    Attaway77 wrote:
    Yo!!! I lived in San Fran for five years, love that city. I would still be there but Military duty wanted me elsewhere.. If you want some really great food go to House of Nanking (919 Kearny), when your done eating there walk a few blocks to Vesuvio (255 Columbus) and have some drinks.. It's in the North Beach area, Jack Keouac alley, cool atmosphere and by Broadway as well.. San Fran's a great city..

thanks what type of food is House of nanking? doesn't really matter i eat anything. :D
    WhenI was there ( a few years ago), it was early June and the weather was fine but I am sure its going to be colder in November......but I am a Canadian and ya aint seen cold till you seen -50C and your breath freezes while its coming out of your mouth.
    >>>>
    >

WhenI was there ( a few years ago), it was early June and the weather was fine but I am sure its going to be colder in November......but I am a Canadian and ya aint seen cold till you seen -50C and your breath freezes while its coming out of your mouth.

I from Canada too unless your one of those people who believe that Toronto is not Canadian. ;)
    thats funny, of course TO is Canadian. I have never travlled there but would like to some day
    >>>>
    >

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    The-incredible-canopy-of-the-Muir-Woods-900.jpgRun on over to Muir Woods and feel like a hobbit for a day! :D
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,044
    House of Nanking - It's Chinese, try the sesame chicken, calamari and pot stickers, truly amazing!! It's not some fancy dress up place either, go as you are... Across the street from it is an old green building that looks like an old apartment complex, that's Franci Ford Coppola's offices, pretty cool I think....I'm getting excited just talking about that place, damn good food!!
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

thats funny, of course TO is Canadian. I have never travlled there but would like to some day

when ever i tell people in Canada that i live in Toronto and they said that Toronto in not a part of Canada. always find that funny. it a great city. let me guess where you live just by your -50 below comment. Alberta?
    Attaway77 wrote:
    House of Nanking - It's Chinese, try the sesame chicken, calamari and pot stickers, truly amazing!! It's not some fancy dress up place either, go as you are... Across the street from it is an old green building that looks like an old apartment complex, that's Franci Ford Coppola's offices, pretty cool I think....I'm getting excited just talking about that place, damn good food!!

thanks, i have to make sure i bring my laptop with me on this trip so that i don't forget these suggestions.
    fife wrote:

when ever i tell people in Canada that i live in Toronto and they said that Toronto in not a part of Canada. always find that funny. it a great city. let me guess where you live just by your -50 below comment. Alberta?

lol...yep
    >>>>
    >

fife wrote:

lol...yep

never been but hear its alot of fun. so why the hate for Ontario in the west?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you must check out my heart
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg