Options

my eddie vedder drawing is for sale.

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,153
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    My recommendation is to have this printed by a quality local printer, and make it a limited edition print for maybe $20 or $30 a piece, and maybe sell the original for $150+.
    I would buy a copy of this print in a heartbeat. Gorgeous. :clap::clap::clap:

Me too!
  • Options
    ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    CJMST3K wrote:
    My recommendation is to have this printed by a quality local printer, and make it a limited edition print for maybe $20 or $30 a piece, and maybe sell the original for $150+. Most artists make their money on the limited editions, and charge a premium for the original. This also allows more people to enjoy having your artwork in their homes.

YES PLEASE follow these directions!!!!
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    ok, where is the link to the drawing, I don't see anything

seriously, I don't see a link, what are you all looking at???
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 545
    thats absolutely amazing
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
  • Options
    gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Harrisburg, PA Posts: 379
    Wow! Just beautiful...

:thumbup:
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    :shock: :o Awesome - you are an amazing artist! Totally not what I was expecting when I opened the thread - it is seriously beautiful!!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    Very nice + good.
    Your heart is true
    + your pursuit a noble one.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options

It's not a link for me, the picture is right there in the post. No idea why you can't see it, I don't know much about computers, maybe some setting is messed up? I don't know.
    It is a beautiful drawing of Eddie's face next to a microphone. Gorgeous drawing.
  • Options
    gorgeous drawing! my only constructive criticism if you have the time and desire to go back and fix it, is that the spot where the mic touching his nose really flattens the drawing... just make that mic a bit darker or have it overlap a little (sorry i'm a teacher i can't help but nitpick)

goodluck with the sale! best ed portrait i've ever seen on here :D

you have a website or more pics to share?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    rjwhite19rjwhite19 Posts: 574
    amazing; nice work
    Montreal 2003. Halifax 2005. EV Montreal 2008. Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011 1 & 2 London 2013. Quebec City 2016. Ottawa 2016
    Fenway 2016 1 & 2
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I've owned an art gallery for 9 years, and started working in my father's gallery before this back about 22 years ago. I can say this is extremely impressive. Faces are the hardest thing to draw, and fully recognize (which is why faces are used on currency to thwart counterfeiters). You nailed it. From the face proportions to the hair to the Audix brand microphone.

My recommendation is to have this printed by a quality local printer, and make it a limited edition print for maybe $20 or $30 a piece, and maybe sell the original for $150+. Most artists make their money on the limited editions, and charge a premium for the original. This also allows more people to enjoy having your artwork in their homes.

thanks for the comments. i really like that idea, but i just don't know how much it would cost to make copies of it.. is it expensive to do that? and i also don't know where to sell or if i'd even be able to sell all of the copies. i'll definitely be drawing more pieces anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    gorgeous drawing! my only constructive criticism if you have the time and desire to go back and fix it, is that the spot where the mic touching his nose really flattens the drawing... just make that mic a bit darker or have it overlap a little (sorry i'm a teacher i can't help but nitpick)

goodluck with the sale! best ed portrait i've ever seen on here :D

you have a website or more pics to share?

thanks! i actually take criticism fairly well when it comes to my art. i'm kind of a perfectionist, and i'm always critical with myself, especially my art. it helps me get even better at it. i have another thread in the art wall that has a couple more pictures of drawings i've done.
    Post edited by unwillingnessmeaningless on
  • Options
    ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    When will you decide who you sell it to? First come first serve, the highest offer wins? Did you get my offer?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ahill721 wrote:
    When will you decide who you sell it to? First come first serve, the highest offer wins? Did you get my offer?

Thanks

check your PMs. ;)
  • Options
    be careful with the highest bidder stuff stephanie... i think they recently implemented some new rules that frown upon the auction system... just keep it hush hush if that's what you're doing
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    That truly is beautiful! You really should make copies so more could enjoy. Also, I'd love to see more of your work. You definitely need a website! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,468
    Is this really a drawing? It looks too accurate to be a drawing. It looks more like a picture. Amazing!
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Very cool pic - and it sounds like a much better idea to show your stuff out here and accept offers - than go through all that ebay rubbish. And it's nice to see! thanks [just check where we're at with the board rules these days]

CJs advice sounds very good though - if you found out about prints every picture would have a lot more mileage
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I've owned an art gallery for 9 years, and started working in my father's gallery before this back about 22 years ago. I can say this is extremely impressive. Faces are the hardest thing to draw, and fully recognize (which is why faces are used on currency to thwart counterfeiters). You nailed it. From the face proportions to the hair to the Audix brand microphone.

thanks for the comments. i really like that idea, but i just don't know how much it would cost to make copies of it.. is it expensive to do that? and i also don't know where to sell or if i'd even be able to sell all of the copies. i'll definitely be drawing more pieces anyway.

Probably the less expensive way to go is to speak with a local good photography printer and ask if they scan artwork and if they can print on something similar to watercolor-paper. Something similar to drawing paper. I know that a professional giclee printing company would probably be more expensive, but a photo place might not be as much. And what you could do is research the cost to scan the artwork and print a few copies. Once it's scanned it can be printed on an as-needed basis.

Lets talk numbers... Lets say you want to have the edition limited to 60 copies, it doesn't mean you have to print all 60 copies at once. You could even just research the cost and not print anything yet... These are my guesses at numbers, but lets say it would cost $50 for a scan and manipulating the print in photoshop a little to get it to print well... and lets say that it costs $8 per print on really nice paper (and I'm totally guessing what the prices are), that means to print the first 1 it would cost you $58. And since all future prints would cost $8, that means if you print 5, it would cost a total of (with setup) $90. ...now if you take the first 5 orders as a "preorder only" to see if there's demand, once you sell 5 copies with a pre-order, you know you can go ahead and spend $90 on printing the first 5 because with each print selling for $35, you're selling those 5 for $175 - net profit of $85 just on those 5 prints. ...and lets say you sell another 5 prints next month... since you already paid for scanning, now it's just a matter of paying for the print everytime you make them. So the next 5 will still bring-in $175, but this time it would only cost you $40 for the printing, so you'd profit $135 on the next 5. Every print you'd be profiting $27, if you're charging $35 (plus shipping) ...and if you make a series of these all the same size, people might want to collect their favorite band members, or maybe collect the whole band. And maybe you could make a special price for people buying a set of all the band members...

I'd say there's a LOT more potential to this than just selling the original, which translates to more money for you, and a lower price for collectors... and maybe even commissions from people asking you to draw their family members once they see your artwork, etc.

But that's just my opinion. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Probably the less expensive way to go is to speak with a local good photography printer and ask if they scan artwork and if they can print on something similar to watercolor-paper. Something similar to drawing paper. I know that a professional giclee printing company would probably be more expensive, but a photo place might not be as much. And what you could do is research the cost to scan the artwork and print a few copies. Once it's scanned it can be printed on an as-needed basis.

Lets talk numbers... Lets say you want to have the edition limited to 60 copies, it doesn't mean you have to print all 60 copies at once. You could even just research the cost and not print anything yet... These are my guesses at numbers, but lets say it would cost $50 for a scan and manipulating the print in photoshop a little to get it to print well... and lets say that it costs $8 per print on really nice paper (and I'm totally guessing what the prices are), that means to print the first 1 it would cost you $58. And since all future prints would cost $8, that means if you print 5, it would cost a total of (with setup) $90. ...now if you take the first 5 orders as a "preorder only" to see if there's demand, once you sell 5 copies with a pre-order, you know you can go ahead and spend $90 on printing the first 5 because with each print selling for $35, you're selling those 5 for $175 - net profit of $85 just on those 5 prints. ...and lets say you sell another 5 prints next month... since you already paid for scanning, now it's just a matter of paying for the print everytime you make them. So the next 5 will still bring-in $175, but this time it would only cost you $40 for the printing, so you'd profit $135 on the next 5. Every print you'd be profiting $27, if you're charging $35 (plus shipping) ...and if you make a series of these all the same size, people might want to collect their favorite band members, or maybe collect the whole band. And maybe you could make a special price for people buying a set of all the band members...

I'd say there's a LOT more potential to this than just selling the original, which translates to more money for you, and a lower price for collectors... and maybe even commissions from people asking you to draw their family members once they see your artwork, etc.

i'll probably be taking your adive.
  • Options
    Its a beautiful drawing....
    Put it in a frame...
    And hang it on YOUR wall....

Dont sell it....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

i've called around and your estimations on price are about right for scanning and printing. my problem is though as you mentioned, i don't know if there'd be a demand for copies of my stuff. i guess the only option i would have is to sell them on ebay or something similar.

Why don't you PM Kat - the moderator and ask advice on where to put the thread etc- but then put up a 'gallery' of your work for people to look at (especially the PJ related stuff) - then if you get any interest you could take it from there.

• Options
    Put it in a frame...

Dont sell it....

well, my thing is, the majority of my art i'm not emotionally attached to at all. that's why i said i'd love to get rid of them. i just create and set it aside. and the recent idea that i could do something i've always enjoyed doing and give it to someone who likes it probably more than i do, and actually make something off it sounds like a really good idea to me. :)
  • Options
    Put it in a frame...

Dont sell it....

well, my thing is, the majority of my art i'm not emotionally attached to at all. that's why i said i'd love to get rid of them. i just create and set it aside. and the recent idea that i could do something i've always enjoyed doing and give it to someone who likes it probably more than i do, and actually make something off it sounds like a really good idea to me. :)
    Ok...

So give me a price.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Ok...

So give me a price.....

check your PMs.
  • Options
    What's great about your picture is you manage to capture a lot of Ed's 'emotional' energy - there's a kind of softness to it - a definite emotion. Much more so than a photograph. Do you base your stuff on a specific photo, or do something else?

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780

It's not a link for me, the picture is right there in the post. No idea why you can't see it, I don't know much about computers, maybe some setting is messed up? I don't know.
    It is a beautiful drawing of Eddie's face next to a microphone. Gorgeous drawing.

thank you for the reply, and no I can't see it damn it :)
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    What's great about your picture is you manage to capture a lot of Ed's 'emotional' energy - there's a kind of softness to it - a definite emotion. Much more so than a photograph. Do you base your stuff on a specific photo, or do something else?
    usually i have a specific reference photo that i use.

click here if you can't see it. http://i46.tinypic.com/357frpd.jpg
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    That's absolutely beautiful! :clap::clap::clap:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad