Hitchhiking

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
have you ever done it? Its on my bucket list. I'd definitely be worried and nervous about the person being some kind of psycho, but how freeing would it be to start from your hometown, say in seattle, and hitch a ride all over the country, getting rides all the way? It would most likely be one of those things you tell your grandchildren about.

I really want to do this.

Whats everyones experience on hitchhiking? Is it safe? Weird or bad experiences? Good experiences?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ..... It would most likely be one of those things you tell your grandchildren about. .?

Yep.... you tell them not to do it! Though I don't have grandchildren yet, just a daughter.
  • SarahLouSarahLou Posts: 175
    i have never done it, but my parents used to all the time when they were my age, the hitchhiked all the way from Scotland to Berlin!

I think it is harder to do now, as times have changed and people are more weary to take a stranger in the car!
  • SarahLou wrote:
    i have never done it, but my parents used to all the time when they were my age, the hitchhiked all the way from Scotland to Berlin!

I think it is harder to do now, as times have changed and people are more weary to take a stranger in the car!

i get the sense its the other way around. potential hitchhikers or hitchhikers to be are weary to try it because of the images we've seen on a endless list of horror movies and tv news bulletins of people hitchhiking and getting into the car of the wrong person.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    did it all the time back in the 70s...up and down the east coast and had a blast. lots of dead heads///lots of dead shows
    and just as a daily mode of transportation

my parents never knew or never said anything anyway if they did and i certainly never told them

now though, and i'm not sure why..i def would NOT do it,
    and i sure would not want my children to be doing it at all

can't readily identify the reason i fell that way tho..well, yes, fear...but why more these days i can't say
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    i used to do it all the time just as a way to get from my parents house out in the country to the nearest town so I could catch the bus. some times my neighbors or someone I knew would pick me up, but usually it was strangers. this was like 20 years ago I was a kid and I never thought twice about it.
    I don't think I would do it on a highway or anything but hitchhiking served me well
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
  • I've got 2 words for anyone here thinking of doing this...
    Ivan Milat
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    I've got 2 words for anyone here thinking of doing this...
    Ivan Milat

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH That's one Fkd up person.....and to think that they still believe he didn't do it on his own, and members of his immediate family are believed to have assisted......freaky shit people!
  • They are a disgrace to my people.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I was going to mention him here.

Read up if you like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacker_Murders

ivan_1246637c.jpg

One badass mother fucker
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • He is smiling because he got day release to attend Pearl Jam Sydney concert.
    Oh I recognise him now. Nice fella. Offered me a lift home.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pjfan31 wrote:
    Oh I recognise him now. Nice fella. Offered me a lift home.

I bet you thought he was being a cheeky fellow when he pointed the gun at you.
    So it was a gun? He just said, 'that's not a gun, I've spent the last 17 years in jail, I'm just happy to see you.'
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • haha.
    In all seriousness he should be executed, waste of space, and that wiki article needs any reference to him being of Croatian background removed from the page and instead replaced with Justin Bieber fan.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    How is it "freeing" and what do you need to be freed from that hitchhiking would be the answer?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    the concept of hitching a ride from a stranger to feel "free" is alien to me.
    www.myspace.com
    this morning i remembered something from my younger days...not specifically related to hitchhiking but sort of. i did all this getting into cars with strangers for a ride stuff over and over again.

but then, i remember walking home one evening. i was probably around 15 or 16 and a man pulled up slowly next to my and asked if i wanted a ride. i didn't recognize him. i said no. he pulled closer and began to ask me if i recognized him...he said that was our local mailman. then i did recognize him ... sort of, as much as a teenager pays attention to their mailman, you know. he said something like, you know me, i'm your mailman, i just want to give you a ride. and so it went, and eventually he went away and i never mentioned it to anyone...or any adult that is. he was quite persistent, driving slowly alongside as i walked, and trying to encourage me to trust him and to get into the car with him, but in the end i walked.

But NOW...after all these years, not that I didn't know that he was up to no good at the time, I did, even tho via a teenage mind, so I didn't get into the car. But now I recall where it was that he asked me if I wanted a ride, and it couldn't have been more than 2 blocks from my home..which he obviously knew, being our mailman.

So, no biggie, right? I mean I figured out he was up to no good from the get go. But it never occurred to me how daring he really was.

Funny the things you remember that you never considered so long ago.

What a creep he was. Well, I'm only going on this incident...but any middle aged man who wants to pick up teenage girls in the evening, cruising round town, and readily identifying himself as your public servant...well, that's creepy. I bet he was sweating bullets the next morning when he was wondering whether or not i had been freaked out enough to tell my parents..which of course, being 15, i would NEVER have done, even if the president of the United States of America had offered to give me a ride home, I would not have told my parents about it at all.

Wow, I' m glad I have a different kind of relationship w my kids..whewwwww.

Well anyway, I guess maybe the whole point of that is....it never occurred to me to STOP getting into cars with strangers....but I wasn't getting into that car w my mailman? WTF? Teenage brains right? Geezuzzz. :o :roll:

IT didn't stop me from hitchinking...and I don't think I ever really thought about EXACTLY what he was up to until today...wow! So many years later. Things could have been quite different. :?
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the nice thing about having a car is, you don't need to hitch hike. the likely hood of me stopping to pick your lazy ass (not directed at any one in particular) up are slim to none. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Not interested in hitch hiking but I did have an incident once. I was riding in an AIDS ride from NC to DC and after 78 miles out of 106 on the first day I made a wrong turn in the deep woods of the North Carolinian mountains. I knew something was up when I could see no other riders in this now creepy isolated area, 8 miles out of my way. I started to turn back when I saw an old pickup truck and decided to take a chance and hitch a ride.

I asked this unshaven, tobacco chewing disheveled looking fellow had he seen any bicycle riders on the road. He said nope and proceeded to spit a thick wad of his chew out the window. I jumped, as the chew dripped from his chin he told me to throw the bike in the back and hop on in done with a thick southern accent. I jumped in excitedly then as he drove off I realized NO ONE knew where I was or what was happening to me. Thoughts of him taking me to some secluded house and beheading popped up and NOBODY would know. Needless to say I was tired and scared out of my mind.

I sat right up against the door, looked for a handle just in case I had to jump out while the truck was rolling, oh there was no handle. Anyway he asked me, "what ya'll doing riding down herea?" I told we're riding for AIDS research and cure, raising money at least $1500 each rider. I had raised over $5000. Still spitting and after some silence he told me told me, "that's a damn good thang ya'll doin". My neck snapped as my fears somewhat eased up. He asked how many miles I was riding, I told him 106 today and 356 to DC.

Well he was nice enough to take me back to my wrong turn and I shook his his thanked him and he wished me good luck. i jumped out of that truck so fast and said thank you, somebody was watching over me. I hopped on my bike rode like the wind, as if a ghost was chasing me. Be careful of those wrong turns peeps.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I think I gave him a lift once :?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hitchhiking is goofy to my notion.
    in iowa hitchhiking is almost zero.
    we all know each other there and are friends even with complete strangers.
    neighbors help each other out, no need to hitchhike into town.

washington state... not like iowa.
    i see hitchhikers everyday. (out here neighbors do not help one another like im used too)
    i never pick them up as they look like someone i would not like to have near me.

why do i wanna invite trouble and or bad smells?
    flag me down if you are injured and need help, im cool with that.

you have not bathed in 2 months, youre wearing the exact same clothes for the last year, you smell like dog shit and you look like you are either drunk or drugged up...
    no need getting into my piece of shit car.
    keep walkin buddy...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    the concept of hitching a ride from a stranger to feel "free" is alien to me.
    im with ya, the jeagler...
    that doesnt make any sense to me.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    chadwick wrote:

i see hitchhikers everyday. (out here neighbors do not help one another like im used too)
    i never pick them up as they look like someone i would not like to have near me.

you have not bathed in 2 months, youre wearing the exact same clothes for the last year, you smell like dog shit and you look like you are either drunk or drugged up...
    keep walkin buddy...

funny, i always pitched the person you described as you.

i kid i kid, don't go jumping off a bridge
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    He is smiling because he got day release to attend Pearl Jam Sydney concert.
    are you for serious are faking?
    Australia lets horrible convicted killer freak shows attend day trips to peal jam concerts?

shut the fuck up.......... :wtf: :crazy:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I'd do it. I read a book called "A Land of Two Halves" which was a teacher hitching around New Zealand. It sounded great.

If one of my kids said they were going to do it I'd throw a wobbly and lock 'em in the house.
    you know, i grew up, my teenage years, were in the 70s in semi-rural NJ/PA and it was the era of peace and love and hope and hippies and all for one, and all that jazz.

no one in my circle thought twice about the dangers of hitchhiking, certainly I didn't..fool that i was. I trusted everyone..hippie! lol!

Well, fortunately or unfortunately, that's something while I'd like to think I Did NOT Outgrow, sadly I have. I no longer trust everyone. Well, no that's not quite right...I trust EVERYONE, until they want a ride in My Car.

Is that hypocrisy or what?

but THEN AGAIN... :? :lol: ..this is good...I will take anonymous PJ fans anywhere at any time to see a show..or even NOT To see a show...what? :roll: I have a funny feeling about getting into YOUR car to go to a show, but hey I'll take you ALL with me..doesn't matter we've never met..we're family....hahaaa..NAIVE...I do though, that's what I do...crazy if I really stop and think about it.

OH well, maybe I do trust everyone, as long as they have a stickman tattoo! heheheeeeee

There's no accounting :roll: :lol:
    peace,
    jo

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

keep walkin buddy...

funny, i always pitched the person you described as you.

i kid i kid, don't go jumping off a bridge

Chad, If i lived where you do...I'd hitchhike. Small town, friendly people.
    My friend used to call chat lines and have those people come pick us up. I wouldn't know about her plan until some weirdo showed up at her door. Then he'd take us somewhere. Once, it was from Kirkland all the way out to Ocean Shores...a good 3 hour drive...one way. I suppose she figured that since there were 2 of us, at least one of us would be able to get away. Not really hitchhiking...more of 'arranged hitchhiking' I suppose....I did accept a ride from a stranger once, I was walking to the bus stop, and the bus was 10 minutes early, as I came around the corner, the bus flew by. A car stopped and told me to get in and he'd chase the bus down for me. He caught the bus and I was off on my way to class...that was also 15 years ago.
    Depending on where I am, I may still get a ride from a stranger. Tacoma=no...Medina=yes.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    chadwick wrote:
    He is smiling because he got day release to attend Pearl Jam Sydney concert.
    are you for serious are faking?
    Australia lets horrible convicted killer freak shows attend day trips to peal jam concerts?

shut the fuck up.......... :wtf: :crazy:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Does that mean you're considering moving to Australia Chad?
    JK..you know..I HAD to say it! ;)
    Love ya! :lol:
    peace,
    jo

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    In the 80s I hitched from Northern PA to Los Angeles. Even then it certainly was not easy. I ran out of money, had to resort to dumpster diving for meals and got robbed when I reached LA. Gives me a great story to tell but wasn't like the romanaticized stories you hear.
    #FHP
  • Forget hitchhiking - hop a train!
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."