Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Apple Inc. plans to begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of 2010 that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year, said people briefed by Apple.

The new iPhone would be similar in design to the iPhone 4 currently sold by AT&T Inc. but would be based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon, these people said. The phone, for which Qualcomm Inc. is providing a key chip, is expected to be released in the first quarter of next year, according to the same people.

An Apple CDMA iPhone would spell the end of the exclusive U.S. arrangement with Apple that AT&T has had since 2007, when the original iPhone debuted.

Separately, Apple is also developing a new iPhone model, said people briefed on the matter. One person familiar with the new iPhone plan said the fifth-generation iPhone will be a different form factor from those that are currently available. It was unclear how soon that version will be available to Verizon.

Spokeswomen for Apple and Qualcomm declined to comment; a spokesman for Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group PLC, declined to comment.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 47572.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Nice news, but I'll keep my Droid X.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    intodeep wrote:
    Nice news, but I'll keep my Droid X.

me too but it is interesting
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I'll stick with the King of phones for now. no need to downgrade :mrgreen:

apple has to do something. Android is kicking some ass right now and is predicted to be #1 in short order. Before the new great phones (EVO, Droid X, Galaxy S) started popping up there wasn't much competition. Now that people have seen what can be done with a phone on a solid network, there is no reason to stay with att if the service sucks as much as they say.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Whats funny is my dad will be leaving verizon for ATT to get the new iphone. I told him its probably coming for verizon but he doesn't like Verizon....
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • FINALLY!!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i hope this really does finally happen

been hearing bout this for sometime now

i might either get this or a new blackberry touchscreen phone if they come out sometime next year
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• metsfan wrote:
    i hope this really does finally happen

been hearing bout this for sometime now

i might either get this or a new blackberry touchscreen phone if they come out sometime next year

Yeah, these rumors have been going around forever. I really want a new phone right now, but I'm going to hold out for this one...
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    IF this happens I'll be the first in line. But I'm not holding my breath....
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    steveDenial.jpg

:mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

apple has to do something. Android is kicking some ass right now and is predicted to be #1 in short order. Before the new great phones (EVO, Droid X, Galaxy S) started popping up there wasn't much competition. Now that people have seen what can be done with a phone on a solid network, there is no reason to stay with att if the service sucks as much as they say.

the thing i'm worried about is the amount of att users that will switch to vzw and potentially bog down their network like has happened with att
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

the thing i'm worried about is the amount of att users that will switch to vzw and potentially bog down their network like has happened with att

won't be an issue for king of the hill users. :mrgreen:

On the upside, verizon is in the process of increasing bandwidth with the LTE network being built out so it shouldn't be a major issue. it will be interesting to watch.

the next question...should we pick up some verizon or apple stock tommorrow?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

With all the talk the past few years about ATT's shitty network, I'm sure Verizon will be prepared. At least I hope they will be..
    81 wrote:
    should we pick up some verizon or apple stock tommorrow?

i've had apple stock in my ira since 2000...before the ipod! current value is at 28,000! :P
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:
    should we pick up some verizon or apple stock tommorrow?

i've had apple stock in my ira since 2000...before the ipod! current value is at 28,000! :P

:P

it's always nice to have big winners.

seems like if apple does get on verizon, there would be a nice little pop and same for verizon. i dug into verizon a little earlier this year. the seemed to be the best carrier to invest in. might be time to relook and pull the trigger on a small spot.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

Yeah, these rumors have been going around forever. I really want a new phone right now, but I'm going to hold out for this one...
    i'm holding for a new phone out till blackberry comes out with a 4G touchsreen phone. i def wont be purchasing a 3G phone ever again. i'll stick with my piece of shit blackberry tour till then.

• HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    81 wrote:
    Android is kicking some ass right now and is predicted to be #1 in short order...

#1 in what manner?

Customer satisfaction?
    Units sold?
    Units shipped?
    Units in use/Operating market share?
    OS market share of smartphones?
    As a platform for 3rd party developers?
    Profitability?
    Amongst a particular demographic?
    etc...

Something that gets overlooked by pretty much everyone is that the iPhone is just a platform for Apple's iOS. While Apple values the income from iPhones, the iPhone is only part of what they're really doing, which is creating iOS devices. Apple has the iPhone, iPad, and now the AppleTV as their OS share.

The metric that Apple really wants to be #1 in is profit margin. They are using (for the most part) the exact same components in all three of the devices I mentioned above which means the more devices they put out, the greater the profit margin is for them. It's a simple economy-of-scale advantage which they have over most, if not all, hardware manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc...) who don't have the same level of horizontal integration amongst their product line.

Does Google have more devices out there with their OS on them? I'm pretty sure they do. But if they're only making a fraction of what Apple is making (dollar wise) per unit, then who's the real winner?

And no, I'm not an Apple apologist of fanboy. I just see this line used a lot as some kind of metric for a pissing match which I don't think most people understand the fundamental nature of.

But that's just my opinion.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    Heavy,

You make a good point.

My metric was % of market share for phones sold with a given operating system.

Yes Apple cares about profit, as does any company.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    HeavyHands wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Android is kicking some ass right now and is predicted to be #1 in short order...

#1 in what manner?

in the manner that in addition to verizon, you can also get it on sprint, t-mobile etc...if apple really wanted market share they wouldn't have gone exclusive to att...if they had, android would never have gained the huge acceptance they are getting
    norm wrote:
    in the manner that in addition to verizon, you can also get it on sprint, t-mobile etc...if apple really wanted market share they wouldn't have gone exclusive to att...if they had, android would never have gained the huge acceptance they are getting

All completely true.

Having their products in all places at once has never been part of Apple's market strategy though (at least not since Jobs came back into the picture). They start off with their products in one place/area/region/store and then they expand their view slowly over time. This is what allows them to have such stellar sales performance figures over time. And, I would say, also why your stock is up 28,000x since purchasing it pre iPod.

Look at their release plan for the iPhone. They start off in a few select major consumer markets (US, UK, Germany, Canada, etc...) and then, over time, they put it up for sale in other countries. The iPhone 4 has been on sale in the US since July, but only went on sale in China (arguably the largest consumer market in the world) within the past month.

This strategy gives Apple sustainable sales and profit numbers instead of having an initial spike in interest/sales and then having it fall off of a cliff.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Good news, but is this "accurate" news? We've heard rumors from the media about iphone going to Verizon. ...I hope this time it's for real.

...however, right on the cusp of Verizon launching 4G - LTE service, iPhone is going to NOW start making CDMA phones? Aren't we now in the end-days of CDMA, with the switch beginning early 2011?

Any talk about whether these would be 4G / LTE compatible, in addition to CDMA?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    CJMST3K wrote:

Any talk about whether these would be 4G / LTE compatible, in addition to CDMA?

i'd guess all the new verizon phones will have two radios, well, 3 radio's if you include wifi. it shouldn't really be an issue. the EVO and EPIC both have multiple radios to handle 3g, wifi, and wimax (sprints 4g)

no not put it in wouldn't be very bright
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    GSM iPhone already has three radios. EDGE, 3G, and WiFi. Multiple radios isn't a problem unless they can't figure out a way to manage the power draw.
    81 wrote:

i'd guess all the new verizon phones will have two radios, well, 3 radio's if you include wifi. it shouldn't really be an issue. the EVO and EPIC both have multiple radios to handle 3g, wifi, and wimax (sprints 4g)
    wouldn't that kill the battery life if 3 radios are on the phone or am i totally wrong

HeavyHands wrote:
    norm wrote:

All completely true.

Having their products in all places at once has never been part of Apple's market strategy though (at least not since Jobs came back into the picture). They start off with their products in one place/area/region/store and then they expand their view slowly over time. This is what allows them to have such stellar sales performance figures over time. And, I would say, also why your stock is up 28,000x since purchasing it pre iPod.

true but by the time the iphone came about, they didn't really need this strategy...nearly everyone wanted an iphone...they would have made a bigger killing by having it on different carriers...really the exclusivity only benefited att

regardless, it is interesting that they are announcing this at the same time verizon is announcing 4g/lte and the vzw iphone will be on the old technology
    Here's an article from PC World from Sept 23rd of this year:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/206099/d ... tk=mod_rel
    CJMST3K wrote:
    so once again it's just hype to get people to stick around with verizon

metsfan wrote:
    81 wrote:

wouldn't that kill the battery life if 3 radios are on the phone or am i totally wrong

i would assume they would but switches to turn them on and off like the EVO has.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    metsfan wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

don't believe everything a ceo says.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    But if AT&T is also switching to LTE, why bother making any with CDMA at all? Why not wait the extra couple of months to make LTE-only devices, which probably makes it easier and cheaper to mass produce?

...if iPhone is available AND on 4G, I'm in. As long as I don't have to not-touch certain spots on the phone, or wear an aluminum hat to get reception. :D
    81 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

don't believe everything a ceo says.
    oh trust me i def don't believe anything a ceo says, specially one in the cutthroat cell phone industry.
    81 wrote:

i would assume they would but switches to turn them on and off like the EVO has.
    ahhh good point