Options

Frito-Lay discontinues eco-friendly Sun Chips Bag ...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I would not be surprised if the real reason they pulled the bags is because the extra cost of the bags was eating into the profit margin.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,133
    Jason P wrote:
    I would not be surprised if the real reason they pulled the bags is because the extra cost of the bags was eating into the profit margin.

I honestly believe it was because sales were down because people hated the bags.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Jason P wrote:

I honestly believe it was because sales were down because people hated the bags.
    I need to check out my local supermarket to see just how noisy these things are!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Jeanwah wrote:
    What I find amazing is not only that people are complaining about the noisy bags, but that they actually put the time and effort into writing Sun Chips to complain. To actually focus that much into a stupid chip bag is quite unbelievable. And to think we could use that time spent writing Sun Chips into time spent writing our reps about REAL ISSUES.

i promise
    i swear
    people are dumb
    people are useless
    and will destroy

people destroy each other, the earth, animals, water, and oxygen. people will destroy eco-friendly
    environmental conscious snack-food bags and their ideas to improve the quality of all life...

remarkable
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    _______
    | GOD |
    |HATES|
    |BAGS!|
    .... ||
    .... ||
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    from BBC website today

Recycled potato peelings could be used to make environmentally-friendly crisp packets, a leading snack firm has said.

Walkers said it had already developed cellulose crisp bags made from wood pulp - but this resulted in "crackly" bags that might put off customers.

The Leicester-based company hopes that bags made of starch waste from potatoes would prove more appealing.

Walkers, the UK's biggest crisp maker, is aiming to make packets out of peelings within 18 months.
    'Sticky starch'

Richard Evans, president of parent company PepsiCo UK, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Imagine making it (a crisp packet) out of potato peelings.

"In reality, if you think about starch - and you know how sticky starch is - if you could mass it together you could create a layer of starch and stabilise that.

"We could use the peelings we have, that today go to animal feed and other recycling uses, to be turned into a crisp packets."

However, he said the firm was still experimenting with cellulose as it wanted to create bags that would naturally decompose.

The firm makes 10 million bags of crisps each day.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    People are so ridiculous. The bags are extremely loud; however...who gives a f***? It's a chip bag for Christ's sake! I love the harvest cheddar and I certainly am not focused on the noise factor while eating them. More importantly, the company is making a mistake by giving in to such absurd complaints; people will still purchase Sun Chips regardless of the bag, guaranteed. A graceful apology to the bored housewives and overweight couch potatoes who are having difficulty hearing Oprah over their noisy bag is all the company should have allowed. What a joke.
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Jeanwah wrote:
    As I stuff another Lay's Sour Cream and Onion chip into my mouth, I realize how loud the bag is. Let's discontinue that one too! What about chips in general? They're so loud when I crunch, I can't hear the TV. What are we gonna do about this atrocity?!!! :lol:
    :lol::lol:

Godfather.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you know whats more annoying than a noisy chip bag?????

the sound of an open mouth eating those crisps.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I guess these people who complained don't own fucking bowls?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Ok, just o we actualyl get some facts..

#1) People won't just continue to buy the bags if they think they are too loud...in fact over the last 12 months, Sun Chips has seen a decrease of 11%

#2) The noise level has been measured at 95 dB...louder than a lawn mower.

So regardless what anyone here thinks personally...people are buying less and they are attributing it to the bags. Hence, company will stop using the bags.

95 dB is very loud. Noise is not linear either, the noise level is doubled with every 3 dB increase. NIOSH would say that a person could only be exposed to 95 dB without hearing protection for 0.79 hours...now that is a long chip eating session, but it certainly shows how loud 95dB really is.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I staked one of the biodegradable Sun Chips bags out in my yard in June to see how it would work.

It has been out there for four months and hasn't begun to break down yet.

I'm not kidding.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Consumer complaints work for other products too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11520930
    Gap scraps new logo after online outcry
  • Options
    The compostable bag was a noble idea.

If only it had made the chips taste good.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980

#1) People won't just continue to buy the bags if they think they are too loud...in fact over the last 12 months, Sun Chips has seen a decrease of 11%

So regardless what anyone here thinks personally...people are buying less and they are attributing it to the bags. Hence, company will stop using the bags.

95 dB is very loud. Noise is not linear either, the noise level is doubled with every 3 dB increase. NIOSH would say that a person could only be exposed to 95 dB without hearing protection for 0.79 hours...now that is a long chip eating session, but it certainly shows how loud 95dB really is.

Weird. I haven't heard anyone with a bag of these chips. I do, however, hear lawn mowers all the time.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:

Weird. I haven't heard anyone with a bag of these chips. I do, however, hear lawn mowers all the time.
    Granted I fell asleep a lot of time in my physics class last semester and got a decent mark by some sort of miracle, but isn't a decibel a ratio of sound intensity? Not a physical unit like grams, litres, etc.
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Granted I fell asleep a lot of time in my physics class last semester and got a decent mark by some sort of miracle, but isn't a decibel a ratio of sound intensity? Not a physical unit like grams, litres, etc.

Which is why it is a measure of how loud something is...what's your point?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:

Which is why it is a measure of how loud something is...what's your point?[/quote]
    I don't know actually :lol:
    Like I said i fell asleep a lot of the time.

But when you think about it logically, is a lawn mower REALLY the same sound intensity as the chip bag?
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Which is why it is a measure of how loud something is...what's your point?
    I don't know actually :lol:
    Like I said i fell asleep a lot of the time.

But when you think about it logically, is a lawn mower REALLY the same sound intensity as the chip bag?[/quote]

Yes.
    hippiemom = goodness