Options

Frito-Lay discontinues eco-friendly Sun Chips Bag ...

know1know1 Posts: 6,763
edited October 2010 in A Moving Train
...due to noise complaints!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... 5_ST_N.htm

I guess going green must be done quietly!
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    know1 wrote:
    ...due to noise complaints!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... 5_ST_N.htm

I guess going green must be done quietly!

Had you had those bags? That was some terrible execution. It was literally painful and therefore everyone avoided the bag all together.

Pollution is pollution...noise hurts too. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    the bags are loud yes, but i think just like anything else people would have gotten used to it. just like they got used to vuvuzelas during the world cup....they should not have discontinued them in such a short time...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,802
    I thought these were pretty popular? Noisy, yes. But still popular. Give it time-- them or someone else will make a bag that will decompose quickly without breaking ear drums.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    there HAS to be a better way than those bags. Great idea, horrible execution.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    People will find a reason to complain about everything.
  • Options
    same old shit. human priorities:

1) convenience

2) earth
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Paul David wrote:
    same old shit. human priorities:

1) convenience

2) earth
    +1

:(
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    them fuckers are loud.

i'm ok with it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    As I stuff another Lay's Sour Cream and Onion chip into my mouth, I realize how loud the bag is. Let's discontinue that one too! What about chips in general? They're so loud when I crunch, I can't hear the TV. What are we gonna do about this atrocity?!!! :lol:
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Seriously, wtf is wrong with people? "I'm too lazy to turn up the tv, think I'll write frito-lay to complain instead?" Hey asshole, I bet you have no idea how noisy it is to eat a fucking carrot while you watch tv, do you?
    Stupid. Well, hopefully they'll figure out something better.
  • Options
    the bags are loud yes, but i think just like anything else people would have gotten used to it. just like they got used to vuvuzelas during the world cup....they should not have discontinued them in such a short time...

Those vuvuzelas will cause hearing damage...you don't "just get use to it" you are damaging your hearing.

Now, the bags certainly don't damage anyones hearing and I get your point. And they should have looked to improve the bag rather than discontinue them...but, they were super annoying so I can see how this happened so fast. They were probably losing sales.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Those vuvuzelas will cause hearing damage...you don't "just get use to it" you are damaging your hearing.

Now, the bags certainly don't damage anyones hearing and I get your point. And they should have looked to improve the bag rather than discontinue them...but, they were super annoying so I can see how this happened so fast. They were probably losing sales.
    regarding the vuvuzelas i was talking about people watching on tv got used to them.

and i disagree. if they had switched all bags of chips to the new bag, i highly doubt that in our fatass society a loud bag is going to make people forsake their oil and sodium drenched crispy potatos....the demand would be just as great tomorrow as it was yesterday.

• Options

regarding the vuvuzelas i was talking about people watching on tv got used to them.

and i disagree. if they had switched all bags of chips to the new bag, i highly doubt that in our fatass society a loud bag is going to make people forsake their oil and sodium drenched crispy potatos....the demand would be just as great tomorrow as it was yesterday.

All bags? perhaps. Although, I bet we'd be thinner and buy less of that junk it all bags were that loud. ;)

Anyhow, those bags did suck and needed improvement, not just dropped.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    i just don't buy the idea that a loud bag would make people not buy a product. if a 1/2 lb of ground beef had loud packaging would people not buy it? what about a filet? or what if a can of busch beer really said "BUSCHHHHHHHH!!" when it was opened like in the commercials? would people cease buying the beer because of that? people are going to buy what they want to buy, and if sun chips taste good people will buy it. truth is they taste like ass so that is most likely why sales would decline over, or combined with packaging....

• Options
    i just don't buy the idea that a loud bag would make people not buy a product. if a 1/2 lb of ground beef had loud packaging would people not buy it? what about a filet? or what if a can of busch beer really said "BUSCHHHHHHHH!!" when it was opened like in the commercials? would people cease buying the beer because of that? people are going to buy what they want to buy, and if sun chips taste good people will buy it. truth is they taste like ass so that is most likely why sales would decline over, or combined with packaging....

When there are other options...it certainly makes a difference. It's the first moment of truth for a product, when the consumer sees it and touches it. It can make a BIG difference if there are other options.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i would buy again, but man, if you haven't played with a bag, you might not understand how loud it is. last time i opened the bag, i shut my office door to avoid bugging hte rest of the office.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    81 wrote:
    i would buy again, but man, if you haven't played with a bag, you might not understand how loud it is. last time i opened the bag, i shut my office door to avoid bugging hte rest of the office.

But surely you could have poured the chips from the big noisy bag into several smaller ziplock bags each portioned for one lunch. :?: :D
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    81 wrote:

But surely you could have poured the chips from the big noisy bag into several smaller ziplock bags each portioned for one lunch. :?: :D

Would those smaller bags be made of ....plastic???? They are not loud but certainly not eco-friendly. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    81 wrote:

Would those smaller bags be made of ....plastic???? They are not loud but certainly not eco-friendly. ;)

You were just supposed to get the joke without explaining it...

• Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    81 wrote:

clearly, you missed the part of opening my bag in the office. :lol:

although, the gf does sometime pack up small bags for me. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

You were just supposed to get the joke without explaining it...

My bad...I'm an idiot.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    My bad...I'm an idiot.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. You seem like a fine, upstanding American citizen.

Now is when one of our Euro friends chimes in with a "one and the same" sort of comment. ;)

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Jeanwah wrote:
    people suck
    everyone who bitches that these are loud chip bags
    should be beat with a chip frying station at frito-lay inc.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Are people eating Sun Chips in libraries? In movie theaters? In hospital nurseraries? At funerals?
    We had them packed in our lunches at the Avon Walk and I didn't notice a big difference in the sound they made.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Are people eating Sun Chips in libraries? In movie theaters? In hospital nurseraries? At funerals?
    We had them packed in our lunches at the Avon Walk and I didn't notice a big difference in the sound they made.

Then you didn't have the eco-friendly bags. You can tell. I can only assume that everyone that wonders what the big deal is never had to touch a bag. It was horrible...very poor execution.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    eyedclaar wrote:
    My bad...I'm an idiot.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. You seem like a fine, upstanding American citizen.

Now is when one of our Euro friends chimes in with a "one and the same" sort of comment. ;)

one and the same
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I think I may buy a bag just to see how loud it can get. Im curious now.

Reverse marketing?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I agree that the bag isn't a big deal and is a good idea.

I won't buy again because I thought the chips tasted like shit.
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    people suck
    everyone who bitches that these are loud chip bags
    should be beat with a chip frying station at frito-lay inc.
    What I find amazing is not only that people are complaining about the noisy bags, but that they actually put the time and effort into writing Sun Chips to complain. To actually focus that much into a stupid chip bag is quite unbelievable. And to think we could use that time spent writing Sun Chips into time spent writing our reps about REAL ISSUES.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    What I find amazing is not only that people are complaining about the noisy bags, but that they actually put the time and effort into writing Sun Chips to complain.

That's a good point.
    hippiemom = goodness