no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    chadwick wrote:
    great pictures everyone
    pandora, your bird with your dogs is awesome
    do the dogs mind him/her?
    Thanks Chad
    My grand doggies, Faith and Dottie are good with Pumpkin. He has free reign in Savannah's house
    but usually just hangs out on his cage...out of reach.
    He's there with the dogs like that cause Sava is with them.
    Otherwise Faith would probably chase him around!
    She grew up with him so its a game to her but Pumpkin takes it seriously!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    pandora wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    great pictures everyone
    Thanks Chad
    My grand doggies, Faith and Dottie are good with Pumpkin. He has free reign in Savannah's house
    warm-hearted lady = pandora.
    thank you.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    great pictures everyone
    Thanks Chad
    warm-hearted lady = pandora.
    thank you.
    chadwick= amazing :D
    and thank you
    Near where my boy lives is a small pond that attracts the migrating birds. The other day there were hundreds of Black Vultures laying over. Filling the dying trees like this picture. A foreboding ominous site.

20070207_vultures.jpg

vulture070208b.jpg
    Not attractive birds until they take flight and soar and circle in the sky. Many sharing the same space with their beautiful two toned wing span. Their grace in flight captivating and delightful. :D
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Magnuson wrote:

That was Cool!!! tiny little guy.
    Magnuson wrote:
    oh that made me cry... what a sweet gentle young man to care for that little dickens.
    Thanks for posting... that was beautiful
    I wonder if the little guy will want to stay with him always
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Magnuson wrote:

That was Cool!!! tiny little guy.

yeah, I'm glad that he was able to hand feed him. I tried with a budgie from the clinic....and, well...uhhh....birds are NOT easy to hand feed. Though I think a hummingbird would be a different story.

Pandi, I do think the little guy will stay with that young man...little bird has probably imprinted on him. My cat that I hand fed is basically my little shadow, freaks out if I go to the bathroom and close the door :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Spring is upon us here in the South :D

Much activity in the yard.....

The male American Goldfinch is putting on his best colors to please his lady,
    bright beautiful yellow, the Nyjer seed sock covered with them, as it spins.

The Red Wing Blackbird is no longer doing their throaty cluck and have filled the air with their beautiful 2 tone trill marking the beginning of mating season and travel home.

The Cardinals also... the males singing sweetly their long fancy whistle dressed in bright red to impress.

And the Robins are filling the front yards as they flock together, ready for flight, the journey north.

I have all my life but most especially now found great comfort in the constant of natures clock
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    It took me a while to find this but success!!!

Clark's Grebe: The Courtship Dance
    Perfect for Valentine's day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1XAFo_uVgk
    nuffingman wrote:
    It took me a while to find this but success!!!

Clark's Grebe: The Courtship Dance
    Perfect for Valentine's day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1XAFo_uVgk
    nuffingman that was so beautiful...thank you

you probably know that made me cry..... :lol:

you are a sweet person thhc19.gif

Happy Valentines Day!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVQ30kbe ... re=related those boy birds what they won't do to get a little :lol:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Okay not birdies but,

My latest nighttime obsession....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHSpQAFVI_k

They come every night and eat the fig tree next door.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Okay not birdies but,

My latest nighttime obsession....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHSpQAFVI_k

They come every night and eat the fig tree next door.
    WOW! that is incredibly cool what a marvelous video! Thanks for posting

I would love to watch those next door....entertaining..we have flying squirrels we watch
    in the evenings

I like the flying fox's wings ,they can block out the sun with them for a daytime bedtime.
    Cute little faces...nature is amazing! :D
  • OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    This must be my natural habitat! :shock: :D

Thanks a lot Pandora for posting those amazing birds pics; nature around your area must be wondrous as birds only choose healthy and peaceful environments :thumbup:

Just yesterday I visited a protected area where birds from North Europe stop during their migration towards warmer places in the South. I managed to spot herons, cormorants and different kinds of ducks. Shame my cam was quite useless compared to the distance between us, but it's always amazing to watch them pass by!

I'll be checking my natural nest more often ;)

:wave:
    Owl wrote:
    This must be my natural habitat! :shock: :D

Thanks a lot Pandora for posting those amazing birds pics; nature around your area must be wondrous as birds only choose healthy and peaceful environments :thumbup:

Just yesterday I visited a protected area where birds from North Europe stop during their migration towards warmer places in the South. I managed to spot herons, cormorants and different kinds of ducks. Shame my cam was quite useless compared to the distance between us, but it's always amazing to watch them pass by!

I'll be checking my natural nest more often ;)

:wave:
    Oh I love your avatar Owl!... I have many owl photographs in my house,
    its hard to pick a favorite bird for me but they are in the running!
    One came and visited this past Christmas night in a light snowfall...2 gifts from God.
    Snow on Christmas is extremely rare.

My birds in my yard bring me great peace so it is a two way thing I guess.

I love to have the yard empty quiet cause the feeders are empty and go out with my buckets to fill them.
    The racket begins with a few little calls...like they are saying..'there she is!'
    and the trees fill up all around me with many different types of birds.
    All living together in harmony. It is my connection to nature.

I am seeing many migrating birds too as of late. We have many herons on our lake.
    Beautiful birds and in flight so unusual and graceful

Glad you enjoy the birds too and please yes come by and share :D
    pandora wrote:

Thanks a lot :)
    I've had different ones, the PJ Owl from the Toronto's poster included, but that suits me the most :)
    And it comes directly from a t-shirt I was given by a friend :mrgreen:

Owls are definitely my favourites among birds, they carry a certain wisdom aura with them and they're brilliant hunters. Besides their being nocturnal animals make them so fashinating. I'll never stop to be curious about them!
    Unfortunately it's not that easy to spot them, being surrounded by concrete in the small town where I live :cry:

Enjoy the nature around you and make the most out of birds company whenever you can, they're faithful companions ;)

Here's an example of the grey heron I spotted yesterday:

airone_cenerino.jpg
    Owl wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Thanks a lot :)
    I've had different ones, the PJ Owl from the Toronto's poster included, but that suits me the most :)
    And it comes directly from a t-shirt I was given by a friend :mrgreen:

Owls are definitely my favourites among birds, they carry a certain wisdom aura with them and they're brilliant hunters. Besides their being nocturnal animals make them so fashinating. I'll never stop to be curious about them!
    Unfortunately it's not that easy to spot them, being surrounded by concrete in the small town where I live :cry:

Enjoy the nature around you and make the most out of birds company whenever you can, they're faithful companions ;)

Here's an example of the grey heron I spotted yesterday:

airone_cenerino.jpg
    magnificent! ...much larger than ours at our lake. He must be amazing in flight with the legs outstretched and the large graceful wing motion characteristic of the large birds.

0305111157.jpg

My daughter has Pumpkin...he is our cockatiel and he is 20 this year! Pumpkin is loyal and funloving and enjoys his cheerios I recently bought him, a favorite treat from his youth :D
    pandora wrote:
    0305111157.jpg

My daughter has Pumpkin...he is our cockatiel and he is 20 this year! Pumpkin is loyal and funloving and enjoys his cheerios I recently bought him, a favorite treat from his youth :D

Wow! That's an impressive age: congratulations!
    And what a gnummy treat that is! I bet he enjoys that :lol:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I saw one of these watching me mow the lawn on Saturday and it wouldn't move. It was awesome to see in flight. Once I saw one scoop up a squirrell and took it to it's den.

peregrine-falcon_6175.jpg

ID-FRESC%20Prairie%20Falcon.jpg

peregrine_falcon.jpg

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Owl wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    0305111157.jpg

My daughter has allowed Pumpkin free flight. His cage is always open.
    This we think has lead to a long life for him without any of the problems associated with confinement.

He can sing winnie the pooh song and do many phrases along with doing the beeping of the microwave. :lol:

Birds are awesome!
    g under p wrote:
    I saw one of these watching me mow the lawn on Saturday and it wouldn't move. It was awesome to see in flight. Once I saw one scoop up a squirrell and took it to it's den.

peregrine-falcon_6175.jpg

ID-FRESC%20Prairie%20Falcon.jpg

peregrine_falcon.jpg

Peace
    a falcon...breathtaking! 8-)
    pandora wrote:
    Owl wrote:
    My daughter has allowed Pumpkin free flight. His cage is always open.
    This we think has lead to a long life for him without any of the problems associated with confinement.

He can sing winnie the pooh song and do many phrases along with doing the beeping of the microwave. :lol:

Birds are awesome!

Amazing!
    I'm sure he's such good fun to look at and listen to! :D
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    edited May 2011
    Yesterday we noticed a Robin nesting in the pine tree right outside our living room window. The nest is fairly low down and you can look right into it from the window. We saw mama sitting in it, and later, when she flew off to feed, we spied an egg. Today, there were 2 eggs. The kids are super excited! We gave them a huge lecture about staying away from it. We do not want the birds to abandon the nest and leave the eggs...will robins do that? I hope to get a photo tomorrow.
    Post edited by guitar59 on
  • Flutter GirlFlutter Girl Posts: 548
    dunkman wrote:
    birds come just below dogs in my list of "pointless over-rated animals"

what use is a fucking pigeon?
    You never heard of Cher Ami? Flew 25 miles in only 25 minutes thru a barrage of German bullets to save 200 men..By the end of flight he had been blinded in one eye, and a bullet had hit his breastbone, making a hole the size of a quarter, and his leg (the one with the messege attached to it, no less) was hanging on by only a couple tendons..

I got a real backwards bird out front now..stays quiet all day, chirps all night..It's driving me nuts!
    guitar59 wrote:
    Yesterday we noticed a Robin nesting in the pine tree right outside out living room window. The nest is fairly low down and you can look right into it from the window. We saw mama sitting in it, and later, when she flew off to feed, we spied an egg. Today, there were 2 eggs. The kids are super excited! We gave them a huge lecture about staying away from it. We do not want the birds to abandon the nest and leave the eggs...will robins do that? I hope to get a photo tomorrow.

It would be great to have a shot of the little ones as soon as they come to life!

I got a real backwards bird out front now..stays quiet all day, chirps all night..It's driving me nuts!

:lol:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    my car got hit yesterday. we're thinking the bird was on her period.

:x
    www.myspace.com
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    guitar59 wrote:
    Yesterday we noticed a Robin nesting in the pine tree right outside our living room window. The nest is fairly low down and you can look right into it from the window. We saw mama sitting in it, and later, when she flew off to feed, we spied an egg. Today, there were 2 eggs. The kids are super excited! We gave them a huge lecture about staying away from it. We do not want the birds to abandon the nest and leave the eggs...will robins do that? I hope to get a photo tomorrow.

Today we saw 3 eggs. We did a little research and found out that it will be about 2 weeks before they hatch. Guess there won't be that much birdie news until then...