No gloves

Comments

• At Subway or any other sandwich place I've ever been to for that matter, they wear gloves. And they are plastic disposable gloves which they put on after washing their hands (in plain sight), they then make the sandwich and then remove the gloves and ring in my sandwich. Then they wash their hands before putting CLEAN gloves on and helping the next customer. AND when they are prepping the food and handling food, such as putting the bread in the oven, which they also do in the open at Subway, they are wearing gloves. Where I live, I'm pretty sure that it is common procedure to do this and I think that if you are preparing food right in the open for the customer that it should be common courtesy to wear gloves.

Meat, such as in a sandwich shop, that isn't going to be cooked needs to be handled with gloves. The germs and oils from a persons hands that would get onto sandwich meat stays there. I don't actually care if a chef in a kitchen at a restaurant is touching my chicken or the pepperoni that's going on my pizza because that food is going to be cooked and therefore kill any bacteria that gets on the food.
  • eMMI wrote:
    Yeah, of course you wanna eat stuff that's pretty much clean. But when it comes to ridding something of bacteria 100%, that's not a good thing either. :think:

To quote my boyfriend (to-be-doctor of the biology stuffs):

"Things shouldn't be 100% bacteria-free. We need them to live comfortably.
    Living in a germ free environment growing up leads to increased risk of allergies, immune system problems, and sometimes even chronic illness."

Of course we need some germs in order to stay healty, but germs and bodily fluids/oils from someones skin are a totally different ballgame in my opinion.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    eMMI wrote:

Living in a germ free environment growing up leads to increased risk of allergies, immune system problems, and sometimes even chronic illness."

Not to mention all this anti bacterial gel (as well as over prescribing of antibiotics) is leading these things to mutate into superbugs. Less is more ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • in the end is lioke sex..its more tasty without "gloves" :D

You're a sick, sick man....or woman!?
    im Dimitris from Greece on monday,thurday ,sunday,,rest of the week,im Paola from Brazil
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    ever eat off the floor?

ooops i dropped a slice of pizza...
    drag it landed toppings side dowwn, crust belly up...

kitchen floor....

do you pick it up, inspect for shit and piss and devour?
    do you throw it away no matter what?
    do you eat it without even giving the slice a once over?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    prljamgirl wrote:
    eMMI wrote:
    Yeah, of course you wanna eat stuff that's pretty much clean. But when it comes to ridding something of bacteria 100%, that's not a good thing either. :think:

To quote my boyfriend (to-be-doctor of the biology stuffs):

Of course we need some germs in order to stay healty, but germs and bodily fluids/oils from someones skin are a totally different ballgame in my opinion.

Naturally. Still, if the person has washed their hands, there shouldn't be oil/bodily fluids on them.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    chadwick wrote:
    ever eat off the floor?

kitchen floor....

If I drop a piece of candy I follow the 2 second rule, but if it's something that is likely to get dirt, hair, fuzz or whatever stuck to it...I'm feeding the composer!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    chime wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

Not to mention all this anti bacterial gel (as well as over prescribing of antibiotics) is leading these things to mutate into superbugs. Less is more ;)

Indeed! I admit, I use anti bacterial gel sometimes. Mostly in work cause I have to handle money and DVD cases that have been handled by who knows how many people and I don't always have time to run to the back and wash my hands. I will not accept responsibility for creating mutant bacteria though. :lol:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    ever pick your nose while cooking for family, friends, or while working @ mcdonalds?

i know a few ppl who will look at you while picking their noses and think its totally ok and cool.

Dear Chadiest,

I am your pal but i do pick my nose a lot infront of you.
    I'll pick my nose anytime, anywhere i please.

Be well,
    bugger factory fingers

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    chadwick wrote:
    ever eat off the floor?

kitchen floor....

I pull off all the big stuff...oh wait, that peporoni WAS there
    then I wash, rinse and re eat
    chadwick wrote:
    ever eat off the floor?

kitchen floor....

Pizza I'm more unlikely to eat, if it falls upside down. Other stuff sure, why not. But it depends on the floor, what was dropped, how long it was there (not counting seconds though) and if it's got visible stuff on it (and whether the visible stuff can come off). Usually if I drop something on the floor at home, it'll just have some cat hairs on it and that's fine by me.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    5 second rule on food. i'm not going to toss out a nice steak just because it fell on the floor. rinse it off and move forward.

i don't use hand gel at all.

i'm very anal about food handling at home tho. when you go grocery shopping, you come straight home. no stoping for anything. when doing the shopping, you get all the non refriderated items before getting the milk, meat, frozen goods. as soon as you get stuff that needs to be cold, you head to checkout, and get home as fast as possible.

when it comes to chicken prep, i don't like touching it, i use tongs when possible and then after it's on the grill or stove, i wash the cutting board and counter up with soap.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    a plate of spaghetti
    splats... falls onto the floor, slid off the plate being carried by a 4 year old..

do you throw the kid on the floor and tell em to eat it?
    do you yourself eat it off the floor?
    do you call in Sailor and Betty your favorite pooches?
    or do you hose down the kitchen, spray spaghetti under counters forgetting about it?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81 wrote:
    i like anal at home tho.

you are bad, 81.
    very bad.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i like anal at home tho.

you are bad, 81.
    very bad.

WHAT?

What did 81 say?

Hey everyone, over here! Look what 81 said...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DangDang wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i like anal at home tho.

you are bad, 81.
    very bad.

WHAT?

What did 81 say?

Hey everyone, over here! Look what 81 said...

is she cute?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    From what I've seen, most real restaurants, the chefs, they don't wear gloves. Fast food yes but we often sit at the bar when we go out to eat and we have a view of the kitchen areas and they aren't wearing gloves. So yes I do eat from people who don't wear gloves.
    I don't worry much but I must admit I'm often "sick" the day after eating out but I think thats "safe food handling" issues like how the food is stored, cooked and how clean the kitchen is. Check out the health department ratings,
    interesting stuff.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I went for lunch today and the guy didn't wear gloves when he made my sub. He said he washed his hands but that wasn't good enough for me. He was really surprised that I wouldn't eat it. He ended up giving me my money back. I went to Subway instead - they at least wear gloves there!

Would you eat something that somebody you didn't know made with their bare hands?

yes
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    pandora wrote:
    ..... "safe food handling" issues like how the food is stored, cooked and how clean the kitchen is...
    Yep... bare hands should be the least of your worries. Kitchens, floors, counter tops, etc. may seem clean but they may have been wiped/mopped with cloths seething in bacteria. The cooked meats for your sandwiches most probably have been left out way too long, fridge door left open too long thus temp up and down, etc. I would also worry more about the breathing over the food when it's being prepared, the coughing and the sneezing....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    redrock wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    ..... "safe food handling" issues like how the food is stored, cooked and how clean the kitchen is...
    Yep... bare hands should be the least of your worries. Kitchens, floors, counter tops, etc. may seem clean but they may have been wiped/mopped with cloths seething in bacteria. The cooked meats for your sandwiches most probably have been left out way too long, fridge door left open too long thus temp up and down, etc. I would also worry more about the breathing over the food when it's being prepared, the coughing and the sneezing....

Like when at a salad bar a parent will let their young child get their own food, and you see the kid sneeze or cough all over the veggies?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I went for lunch today and the guy didn't wear gloves when he made my sub. He said he washed his hands but that wasn't good enough for me. He was really surprised that I wouldn't eat it. He ended up giving me my money back. I went to Subway instead - they at least wear gloves there!

Would you eat something that somebody you didn't know made with their bare hands?

Do you hand over the money and then eat with that same hand without washing it first?

Good point. :geek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    If you complain about the food and they take it away and bring you back a fresh dish, please know they spat in it, or worse. Us Aussies have just started a name and shame register of resturants that have poor cleanlyness. Thank fuck I only do my local Chinese resturant.....
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    So he wasn't wearing gloves while he made your sandwich in front of you.

Do you go to regular restaurants where they make food in kitchens?
    Guess what? They make your food with their bare hands.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Jo wrote:
    Thank fuck I only do my local Chinese resturant.....

:lol::lol:
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    4and20 wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Like when at a salad bar a parent will let their young child get their own food, and you see the kid sneeze or cough all over the veggies?

I wasnt' thinking of that, but you are right! I was talking about staff in the sandwich places. There are so many different ways bacteria/germs get on your food that, in the end, apart from seeing hairy hands, gloves don't really do much unless one follows ALL the correct food hygiene procedures ALL the time. I don't know anywhere that does.

• yes[/quote]

okay
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
    edited September 2010
    pandora wrote:
    From what I've seen, most real restaurants, the chefs, they don't wear gloves.

This is true. But I trust most chefs over any teenager or twenty-something in a sandwhich shop. They are more professional. Plus I normally get cooked food in a restaurant and not raw sandwhich meat.
    Post edited by The Waiting Trophy Man on
  • mca47 wrote:
    So he wasn't wearing gloves while he made your sandwhich?
    Do you go to regular restaurants where they make food in kitchens?
    Guess what? They make your food with their bare hands.

That's right. And yes, I know.
  • pandora wrote:
    So yes I do eat from people who don't wear gloves.

I guess Im just used to people wearing gloves when(cough) handling my meat. Like when you go to the deli and buy 200 grams of deli meat they don't just grab it with their bare hands and put it on the scale. They wear gloves. Same with Subway. It's just proper ettiquette too I guess.