No gloves

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I went for lunch today and the guy didn't wear gloves when he made my sub. He said he washed his hands but that wasn't good enough for me. He was really surprised that I wouldn't eat it. He ended up giving me my money back. I went to Subway instead - they at least wear gloves there!

Would you eat something that somebody you didn't know made with their bare hands?
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    There was a place near me that used to sell the BEST kebabs. The best. And in an almost soup nazi fashion, you just wouldnt complain for fear that they might not serve you or not produce the best kebab. They would have one glove on, accept money with the glove, make kebabs with the same glove. And yes it was sick.

But when you ate that kebab, and you had the juice running down your face, it was worth every fuckin germ that I got from that place.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I went for lunch today and the guy didn't wear gloves when he made my sub. He said he washed his hands but that wasn't good enough for me. He was really surprised that I wouldn't eat it. He ended up giving me my money back. I went to Subway instead - they at least wear gloves there!

Would you eat something that somebody you didn't know made with their bare hands?

Do you hand over the money and then eat with that same hand without washing it first?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

i drink elephant shit when i gotta get by.
    eyed drinks bear shit for fun.
    hes a bit harder core than i.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25Eflr0oJ8
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    uhhh no, I wouldn't eat the food. That's gross to handle the money and then make a sandwich, or even not wear gloves. I will walk away from the grocery deli if they don't wear gloves. When I watch the Food Network and they show a cafe to eat at, and the cooks don't wear gloves, I make a mental note to not eat there if I visit that city. You'd be surprised how many people don't wear gloves! One really bad case of food poisoning is enough to freak me out about germs.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    An old lady went to visit her sister and in the morning walked into the village. She stopped outside a bakery and admired the bread and delicious looking cakes in the window. Thinking it would be a good idea to treat her sister she went in. The place was immaculate, every surface gleamed. The owner then walked up to her and asked what she would like. He like the shop was immaculate, well groomed and wearing a white coat that was so bright it hurt her eyes.

She selected a couple of cakes which he put into a bag with shiny tongs. She noticed there was a piece of string hanging out the front of his white coat and asked what it was. "Well madam, being extremely concerned about hygiene if I need to visit the lav I can unzip myself and pull out my todger which has the string attached". That's amazing she said. Just as she was leaving she stopped and said. "Just one question. How do you put him back in?"

"I use the tongs"
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Serving/making sandwiches with gloves doesn't mean a thing. The bread will have been made and handled/delivered/stored without gloves, the ingredients would have been set up without gloves,etc. Gloves are for the show.
  • sandwiches with gloves isnt tasty as the one with bare hands..period..and thats why here in Greece we call them dirty sadwiches....the moto is,,lets go dirty today?and the amswer...always dirty... :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    sandwiches with gloves isnt tasty as the one with bare hands..period..and thats why here in Greece we call them dirty sadwiches....the moto is,,lets go dirty today?and the amswer...always dirty... :lol:

So when this hunky Greek asks me to 'go dirty' he just wants to buy me a sandwich? :?
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    redrock wrote:
    sandwiches with gloves isnt tasty as the one with bare hands..period..and thats why here in Greece we call them dirty sadwiches....the moto is,,lets go dirty today?and the amswer...always dirty... :lol:

So when this hunky Greek asks me to 'go dirty' he just wants to buy me a sandwich? :?

haha. I wonder how Greeks talk dirty then
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • redrock wrote:

yes..if wanna be naughty will say,,lets DO dirty..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    No gloves wouldn't bother me ... if I cook I'm not wearing gloves, if I go to eat at friends they're not preparing the food wearing gloves ... if I go to a restaurant I presume the chefs aren't wearing gloves. I'm hoping all of those mentioned will have washed their hands. The main place I see food being prepared wearing gloves is McDonalds and I don't eat their anyway :P Like others have said I see the gloves as show. A person either has good hygiene or not and anything they could touch with their hand they may have touched with the glove :shock: ... I mean door handles etc :roll:

Anyway we need a bit of bacteria etc to build up our immune systems ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • unless they change the gloves every single time they make an item it doesn't matter that much....the gloves protect the person making the food more than they protect the person getting the food. those gloves can be covered with dirt and bacteria just as easily as bare hands.
    redrock wrote:

yes..if wanna be naughty will say,,lets DO dirty..

:roll: And here I was thinking I was still able to pull at my age :lol::lol:
  • nuffingman wrote:
    An old lady went to visit her sister and in the morning walked into the village. She stopped outside a bakery and admired the bread and delicious looking cakes in the window. Thinking it would be a good idea to treat her sister she went in. The place was immaculate, every surface gleamed. The owner then walked up to her and asked what she would like. He like the shop was immaculate, well groomed and wearing a white coat that was so bright it hurt her eyes.

She selected a couple of cakes which he put into a bag with shiny tongs. She noticed there was a piece of string hanging out the front of his white coat and asked what it was. "Well madam, being extremely concerned about hygiene if I need to visit the lav I can unzip myself and pull out my todger which has the string attached". That's amazing she said. Just as she was leaving she stopped and said. "Just one question. How do you put him back in?"

"I use the tongs"

:lol: This story was a good way to start my day thanks :lol:
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    nuffingman wrote:

"I use the tongs"

:lol: This story was a good way to start my day thanks :lol:
    An oldie but goody :lol::lol:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    uhhh ... washing hands is far more important than gloves ... person could be wearing gloves and then gone and got them dirty as well ... we've become a bacteria-phobic society ... i use my bare hands to cook - that's how it's been done for ages ...

all gloves do is save someone from washing their hands ... if you won't eat a sub from a guy using his bare hands - you probably shouldn't be eating out at restaurants as i guarantee you no chef in a restaurant is using gloves ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    lots of places don't wear gloves. lots. ever watch hells kitchen or any of them cooking shows? they are always touching the food.

do you wear gloves when you cook at home? didn't think so.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    some wear welding gloves when cooking
    i've seen it a million times, 81....

it's so sad someone wants to destroy themselves like this........
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    some wear welding gloves when cooking
    i've seen it a million times, 81....

it's so sad someone wants to destroy themselves like this........

the world is a scary place
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

Do you hand over the money and then eat with that same hand without washing it first?

No. I hold my food in the paper wrapper. I never touch my food with my bare hands anymore. I think I'm slowly turning into Howard Hughes......
    ZiggyStar wrote:

No. I hold my food in the paper wrapper. I never touch my food with my bare hands anymore. I think I'm slowly turning into Howard Hughes......

how do you eat chips? popcorn? peanuts? grapes? apples?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

do you wear gloves when you cook at home? didn't think so.

Of course I don't. I'm not Howard Hughes(yet). I wash my hands and that's good enough for me. But when I go out for lunch, I expect the guy handling my sandwhich meat to wash his hands AND put on a fresh clean pair of disposable plastic gloves.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262

Did you see the guy not use gloves while making the sub? :think: I'm thoroughly amusing myself imagining how you're watching the guy, he's not wearing gloves, he's making the sub, you know you're not gonna eat it, he's making it.. And then it's done and you tell him you don't want it. :P :lol:

Anyway, like said, the gloves are for show and don't assure that your sub is germ free. And I pretty much agree with everyone who's posted before, no reason for me to say it all again.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • 81 wrote:

with my hands. Sometimes my fingers too. But that's because some greesy looking greek didn't manhandle my food without wearing plastic fucking gloves!!!!
    81 wrote:

with my hands. Sometimes my fingers too. But that's because some greesy looking greek didn't manhandle my food without wearing plastic fucking gloves!!!!

A-ha, but you don't know that.

Obviously you'd wash apples and such, before eating, but you don't know where they've been or who's handled them in what way.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
    edited September 2010
    eMMI wrote:

Did you see the guy not use gloves while making the sub? :think: I'm thoroughly amusing myself imagining how you're watching the guy, he's not wearing gloves, he's making the sub, you know you're not gonna eat it, he's making it.. And then it's done and you tell him you don't want it. :P :lol:

haha no, I didn't stand there watching him the whole time. He asked me what all I wanted on it and I told him. I then went to the washroom to wash my hands (using a sheet of paper towel to open the bathroom door on the way out so as to not contaminate my clean hands, lol) and I walked up to the counter. That's when I saw him placing the ham onto my sub with his bare hands. And he wasn't being delicate either. He was practically palming it and pushing it into the bread. Apparently meat is really susceptible to germs, too (not so much fruits and vegetables) It probably didn't help that he had really black, hairy hands either (shudders). That just totally grossed me the fuck out. Sorry, but unless you're my mother or my wife or someone I know really well, you aren't going to make my sandwhich without wearing gloves. That's just the way I am.
    Post edited by The Waiting Trophy Man on
  • eMMI wrote:
    81 wrote:

Obviously you'd wash apples and such, before eating, but you don't know where they've been or who's handled them in what way.

No, you're right. But I guess it's sort of out of sight, out of mind. And you can't clean everything 100% but you do the best you can. At least I do.
  • in the end is lioke sex..its more tasty without "gloves" :D
  • in the end is lioke sex..its more tasty without "gloves" :D

You're a sick, sick man....or woman!?
    eMMI wrote:

No, you're right. But I guess it's sort of out of sight, out of mind. And you can't clean everything 100% but you do the best you can. At least I do.

Yeah, of course you wanna eat stuff that's pretty much clean. But when it comes to ridding something of bacteria 100%, that's not a good thing either. :think:

To quote my boyfriend (to-be-doctor of the biology stuffs):

"Things shouldn't be 100% bacteria-free. We need them to live comfortably.
    Living in a germ free environment growing up leads to increased risk of allergies, immune system problems, and sometimes even chronic illness."