No! Genetic Modified Salmon

JzPJzP Posts: 933
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Maybe some of you have heard the news on this? A company wants to market genetically modified salmon for food. It's going through the EPA now and might be allowed as well as unlabled. The reason for this being growth rate of the fish. Which equals money. I am more worried about what happens when this fish is put in large numbers into the wild. We are told they are only sterile fish being released.
This really scares me. Not neccesserily to eat but what this will do to the environment as well as long term. Look what happened with seeds.

Please help be a part of stopping this...
Some info http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/643353.html
Act http://fdn.actionkit.com/cms/sign/stop_gmo_salmon_today/
~JzP
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Will they have frickin laser beams attached to their frickin heads?
  • JzPJzP Posts: 933
    :lol: :roll:
    ~JzP
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    everything is geneticly modified now a days. go read up on soybeans. serious. that's some fucked up shit
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    Sounds fishy to me.

Oh yeah, I said it.
    10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    07/11/11, Paramount Theater, Oakland, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show)
    10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Any animal or fish that is genetically modified is not OK with me. I am against this 100%
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    youngster wrote:
    Any animal or fish that is genetically modified is not OK with me. I am against this 100%

i only eat genetically modified food. and i only associate with genetically modified people. i am all for this.
    www.myspace.com
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    JzP wrote:
    Maybe some of you have heard the news on this? A company wants to market genetically modified salmon for food. It's going through the EPA now and might be allowed as well as unlabled. The reason for this being growth rate of the fish. Which equals money. I am more worried about what happens when this fish is put in large numbers into the wild. We are told they are only sterile fish being released.
    This really scares me. Not neccesserily to eat but what this will do to the environment as well as long term. Look what happened with seeds.

Please help be a part of stopping this...
    Some info http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/643353.html
    Act http://fdn.actionkit.com/cms/sign/stop_gmo_salmon_today/
    i studied environmental sciences & some fisheries classes and did work study in a salmon/trout hatchery.
    i remember we did a bit of research on this topic.
    the world's fisheries are fucked.
    not just because of this issue but the whole ball of wax is out of control.

some fisheries are stable, others are dead or dying.
    very uncool to my notion.
    i will look through your links tomorrow.

thank you for this.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81 wrote:
    everything is geneticly modified now a days. go read up on soybeans. serious. that's some fucked up shit
    got a decent link to help my research on this soybean shit?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Super genetically modified fish.. I would totally eat one.. If I wasn't deathly allergic to fish.. 8-)

but really, they shouldn't be released into the wild. Eat, yes. Wild, no.. The sea life community doesn't need super heroes.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Super genetically modified fish.. I would totally eat one.. If I wasn't deathly allergic to fish.. 8-)

but really, they shouldn't be released into the wild. Eat, yes. Wild, no.. The sea life community doesn't need super heroes.

not even aquaman????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    man has really tripped out salmon.
    it is down to a science.
    i raised many hundreds of thousands
    maybe 500,000 salmon?

lots of trout too
    5 or 10 thousand rainbow trout, something like that.

unreal what i learned.

we gas salmon eggs.
    @ some stage in egg fry growth the incubators get blasted with formaldehyde for 15 minutes everyday for a few weeks or whatever.

otoliths = ear bones
    man can put marks in salmon's ear bones by water temperature fluctuation. (track salmon)(every hatchery that does this has it's own code)
    natural spring water temp, blast colder water, natural spring temp, blast colder water, natural spring water temp, blast cold water... they actually have refrigerated hatcheries...

you can read otoliths and scales under microscopes and some other badass lens fuckers.
    salmon scales tell a lot of things about the fish.

yeah im badass
    i know.

:mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    why don't we all just eat that 30 lb gold fish that that guy caught recently. it was on the news last week.

no seriously, I'm against the proposed Frankenfish salmon.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    chadwick wrote:
    man has really tripped out salmon.
    it is down to a science.
    i raised many hundreds of thousands
    maybe 500,000 salmon?

lots of trout too
    5 or 10 thousand rainbow trout, something like that.

unreal what i learned.

we gas salmon eggs.
    @ some stage in egg fry growth the incubators get blasted with formaldehyde for 15 minutes everyday for a few weeks or whatever.

otoliths = ear bones
    man can put marks in salmon's ear bones by water temperature fluctuation. (track salmon)(every hatchery that does this has it's own code)
    natural spring water temp, blast colder water, natural spring temp, blast colder water, natural spring water temp, blast cold water... they actually have refrigerated hatcheries...

you can read otoliths and scales under microscopes and some other badass lens fuckers.
    salmon scales tell a lot of things about the fish.

yeah im badass
    i know.

:mrgreen:
    i am so hungry right now it's not even funny....
    www.myspace.com
  • 6a00d83451b7a769e20133f3eb4043970b-800wi
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:
    got a decent link to help my research on this soybean shit?

google Monsanto

basically, they control the soybeans. 90+ % of all soybeans use their genetics. and here is where the fun begins.

say i'm a farmer, i but some seeds from Monsanto, plant a crop, harvest a crop. I MUST all of that crop. I cannot keep 10% of it for next years planting. If i do, i can be in big do do and most likely will be sued by Monsanto. if i clean a crop for somebody else, it's just as ugly. and the .gov has sided with Monsanto and basically say that it is thier "software" and they can control it from start to finish.

personally, i don't know how the .gov allows this. once i buy something, imo, i own it, and if i choose not to sell all my crop, that should be my right.

the us is fucked up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    super fucked the EPA & FDA is doing a piss poor job
    ~JzP
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this case is critical as it would set a precedent in the worst way ... whether you agree with GE foods or not - it is important to have at least the proper studies conducted on in - independent ones ...

and this just isn't happening in an FDA that is full of biotech guys ...

edit: a link to highlight the lack of public involvement in this case ...

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-09-20 ... -ge-salmon
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    This really messes with my head. Can't imagine the world my little boy is going to grow up in. Will he eat naturally occuring foods, or when he's my age, will this be the norm? I don't like this at all...
    81 wrote:
    google Monsanto

basically, they control the soybeans. 90+ % of all soybeans use their genetics. and here is where the fun begins.

say i'm a farmer, i but some seeds from Monsanto, plant a crop, harvest a crop. I MUST all of that crop. I cannot keep 10% of it for next years planting. If i do, i can be in big do do and most likely will be sued by Monsanto. if i clean a crop for somebody else, it's just as ugly. and the .gov has sided with Monsanto and basically say that it is thier "software" and they can control it from start to finish.

personally, i don't know how the .gov allows this. once i buy something, imo, i own it, and if i choose not to sell all my crop, that should be my right.

the us is fucked up.
    growing up and living in rural iowa we were surrouned by soybeans, corn, and alfalfa.
    i am now scared.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • So they feed growth hormones to the salmon to make a super fish. When we eat the super fish, we eat the growth hormones. Isn't the FDA concerned that this will really f*** up the youth.

I am 100 % against this.
    So they feed growth hormones to the salmon to make a super fish. When we eat the super fish, we eat the growth hormones. Isn't the FDA concerned that this will really f*** up the youth.

I am 100 % against this.

they aren't feeding them growth hormones they are injecting genes from coho salmon and some type of eel.
    ~JzP
  • Not saying I want anything pumped into the fish I eat, but isnt a large % of meat from cows and chickens a result of added hormones too??
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Not saying I want anything pumped into the fish I eat, but isnt a large % of meat from cows and chickens a result of added hormones too??

pretty much, but this is mainly on large scale farms. That is why it's so important to know what you eat and where it comes from. It is not that hard to find small time farms in your area where you can actually talk to the farmer and see the animals. In the end you probably do pay more for fresh local food, but your bucks are staying in your community, not going to a huge corp. that is only interested in money.
    ~JzP
    JzP wrote:
    Not saying I want anything pumped into the fish I eat, but isnt a large % of meat from cows and chickens a result of added hormones too??

pretty much, but this is mainly on large scale farms. That is why it's so important to know what you eat and where it comes from. It is not that hard to find small time farms in your area where you can actually talk to the farmer and see the animals. In the end you probably do pay more for fresh local food, but your bucks are staying in your community, not going to a huge corp. that is only interested in money.

and the food quality is amazing.
    buy local and it's great stuff.

wal-mart pharmacy = cheap and fast service... fuck them.
    i am getting my drug needs & whatnot from my local pharmacist.

i shop the local produce stands and a real butcher shop.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    word to your mother...image.axd?picture=633489516246618685_633489516246618685_Vanilla_NAVFULL.jpg
    ~JzP
    Speaking of good local food I'm going to unity ME for the Common Ground Fair this weekend...always a good time :)

http://www.mofga.org
    ~JzP
  • 81 wrote:
    google Monsanto

the us is fucked up.

yeah, Monsanto's a real bitch about their Roundup Ready genetics. They basically control the worldwide soybean market. Funny thing is, the Roundup Ready patent expires in a couple of years, so they're in the process of rolling out Roundup 2.0.
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Not saying I want anything pumped into the fish I eat, but isnt a large % of meat from cows and chickens a result of added hormones too??

hormones are mostly from the dairy industry. In meat, it's more along the lines of selective breeding. Which, if you think about it, isn't really that different than genetic engineering.
  • JzP wrote:

they aren't feeding them growth hormones they are injecting genes from coho salmon and some type of eel.

how is this any different than cross-breeding to produce improved genetic traits?
  • chadwick wrote:
    wal-mart pharmacy = cheap and fast service... fuck them.
    i am getting my drug needs & whatnot from my local pharmacist.

Wal-mart pharmacy=$4 for most of my prescriptions. And since I don't have insurance right now, whatever local pharmacy I pick is going to be unable to match that.