human interaction

LauriLauri Posts: 748
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I think I need more of it. The only real people I talk to most days is the person at the front desk at the gym and the people in my office. Sometimes I go to trivia with my coworker and her friends, and I play soccer once a week if it's the season...other than that pretty much anyone I talk to is online-- facebook, email, etc. Does anyone else feel like this? I've never really understood the concept of so called loneliness-- is this it? Or is this just the consequence of modern life?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My whole job is about human interaction...so usually at the end of the day I'm just craving some alone time. I'm naturally an introvert even though I like working with people...so I definitely need time by myself to recharge. The pit doesn't count cause none of you are real :shifty:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • volunteer someplace:

1) you get human interaction
    2)It could look good on your resume
    3)intrinsic satisfaction
    4)meeting new people could potentially set up a network of other future interactions
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    My whole job is about human interaction...so usually at the end of the day I'm just craving some alone time. I'm naturally an introvert even though I like working with people...so I definitely need time by myself to recharge. The pit doesn't count cause none of you are real :shifty:

I've always been one for the alone time too. I remember being in high school and the major thing I was concerned about for college was living with a roommate and not getting any alone time! My job is pretty solitary though- mostly just me and the spreadsheets and research...I have officemates but we don't exactly chit-chat al day.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I think people are being conditioned to think that texting, email, FB, twitter etc is 'connecting'...esp the younger generation, people just don't seem to know how to interact with each other, much less acknowledge another human being in their immediate vicinity. I have held the door open for a younger mom who is struggling with a baby stroller and groceries while texting and all she can do is glare at me. I remember when you'd pass someone on the sidewalk and the other person would at least nod, or say 'hello'. Not so much of that anymore.
    Pretty sad how it seems that you can't even have a 'friend' to talk to 'just to talk'.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    volunteer someplace:

3)intrinsic satisfaction
    4)meeting new people could potentially set up a network of other future interactions

I can never think of volunteer work I would like to do. the only thing I've done on a recurring basis is write content for a website-- at home! Besides at this point in time I'm looking for a second paying job, so I don't think I could handle two jobs AND volunteer work. I'm just not that good.
    4and20 wrote:
    Pretty sad how it seems that you can't even have a 'friend' to talk to 'just to talk'.

I read something recently that said that some enormous percentage of of study subjects said they don't have someone to confide in wrt to big issues concerning them. I completely understand that-- I don't think I really do. I have a lot of "friends" but they don't live anywhere near here. I also think people are so wrapped up in their own lives that you just don't feel comfortable confiding in others anymore, like you're bothering people. And I think there's so much pressure to be "happy" and "together" that telling someone something is bothering you is seen as a weakness.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    The pit doesn't count cause none of you are real :shifty:

Oh sweet Jesus: it's true then, I'm not real. I am a figment of comebackgirl's imagination.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I choose not to imangine.
    The pit doesn't count cause none of you are real :shifty:

Oh sweet Jesus: it's true then, I'm not real. I am a figment of comebackgirl's imagination.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Lauri wrote:
    I think I need more of it. The only real people I talk to most days is the person at the front desk at the gym and the people in my office. Sometimes I go to trivia with my coworker and her friends, and I play soccer once a week if it's the season...other than that pretty much anyone I talk to is online-- facebook, email, etc. Does anyone else feel like this? I've never really understood the concept of so called loneliness-- is this it? Or is this just the consequence of modern life?

Sounds like my world except i live with the gf. I've alway been a loaner so it doesnt bug me much.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Lauri wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

I read something recently that said that some enormous percentage of of study subjects said they don't have someone to confide in wrt to big issues concerning them. I completely understand that-- I don't think I really do. I have a lot of "friends" but they don't live anywhere near here. I also think people are so wrapped up in their own lives that you just don't feel comfortable confiding in others anymore, like you're bothering people. And I think there's so much pressure to be "happy" and "together" that telling someone something is bothering you is seen as a weakness.

totally! I have tried to reach out to become friends with people, but they are so wrapped up in their problems, they are not interested in the usual, shopping, lunch, coffee stuff. I have lost a lot of trust in people in the last few years, I'm not even that young. I thought people would have outgrown the gossip, rumor spreading, drama etc. I heard that a recent study showed that today's college graduates are 75% less empathetic than those 10 years ago....how sad that a trait like empathy could drop so fast.
    I still try to be empathetic or kind towards people but sometimes I feel like it's a losing battle.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • The pit doesn't count cause none of you are real :shifty:

:shh: :silent:

they're always watching

4and20 wrote:
    Lauri wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

totally! I have tried to reach out to become friends with people, but they are so wrapped up in their problems, they are not interested in the usual, shopping, lunch, coffee stuff. I have lost a lot of trust in people in the last few years, I'm not even that young. I thought people would have outgrown the gossip, rumor spreading, drama etc. I heard that a recent study showed that today's college graduates are 75% less empathetic than those 10 years ago....how sad that a trait like empathy could drop so fast.
    I still try to be empathetic or kind towards people but sometimes I feel like it's a losing battle.

yeah I am a very empathic person by nature. I am also always willing to make friends with people, but it seems like no else is! Even if you get to know someone through some recurring interaction, interacting with them in a different context is virtually impossible! I think people think that if they are open to making new friends it will seem like they don't already have friends or have their own life.
    or even that people are 'disposable'...they'll be your friend and use you, then they quit talking to you.... :twisted:

- Christopher McCandless
  • 4and20 wrote:
    Even if it IS a losing battle (and I'm not convinced it is), I hope you keep trying. It's refreshing to hear of someone who doesn't want to be completely self-absorbed. :clap:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I think it just takes adults longer to become close friends.

Children and teens seem to bond quickly, where as it seems like adults become close friends at a VERY slow pace. At least, that's been my experience.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Lauri wrote:
    volunteer someplace:

3)intrinsic satisfaction

I can never think of volunteer work I would like to do. the only thing I've done on a recurring basis is write content for a website-- at home! Besides at this point in time I'm looking for a second paying job, so I don't think I could handle two jobs AND volunteer work. I'm just not that good.

well then, get a 2nd job that deals with people interaction, bartender or barista.
    as far as volunteering goes, you like music...why not look for things that revolve around that.
    Lauri wrote:
    volunteer someplace:

3)intrinsic satisfaction

well then, get a 2nd job that deals with people interaction, bartender or barista.
    as far as volunteering goes, you like music...why not look for things that revolve around that.

there's volunteer work with rock music? like what?

I would LOVE to bar tend, and was really hoping I could do it, but I've decided it's just impossible. There's no way I could close a bar on a week night and get up and work 9-10 hours the next day and work out and everything else. I talked to bar tender at my favorite pub recently and he told me it's really difficult when it's your only job! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for extra work. It's really hard because my full time job isn't 9-5. It's whenever to whenever it takes to get it done.
  • Smaller venues may have volunteering with running merch booths or other routine tasks.

you can find a public radio station and answer phones during pledge drives, set up information booths at music festivals and next to merch tables in music venues.
    justam wrote:

Children and teens seem to bond quickly, where as it seems like adults become close friends at a VERY slow pace. At least, that's been my experience.

I agree, though I don't think I've ever been one to bond with one person super quickly. I remember when I started college, it seemed like everyone paired up and became super close immediately. That sort of thing only happened to me once, when I went to a massive orientation for the company I started at right after college. In particular, I really clicked with the guy I happened to be sitting next to the first day. Everyone kept asking us if we were friends from the same college. There were a few people I bonded with quickly! Unfortunately none of us were working in the same city :(. Even when I started grad school, it took me a long time to really feel like I was friends with people. I know some adults who seem to bond with people really fast, I think a lot depends on your personality.

It does kinda suck because it's rare to meet people you could be friends with, and then that's narrowed down even further to people who are open to making a connection.
    Smaller venues may have volunteering with running merch booths or other routine tasks.

you can find a public radio station and answer phones during pledge drives, set up information booths at music festivals and next to merch tables in music venues.

cool we don't have too many small venues left around here, but it's always a possibility. damn now I'm just thinking about how I want to tend bar.
  • You want more human interaction offline with real people? Well, the irony I see here is if you are posting this thought on an online message board, you are definitely in the wrong place looking for offline human interaction, sweetie ...
    Lauri wrote:
  • justam wrote:

Children and teens also end friendships much quicker..
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I've told my kids, count yourself lucky to have one true friend to depend on through life. One who values, appreciates and cherishes your friendship. What more do we need?

Then be friendly, people will come and go, these passing relationships important as all things happen for a reason.

Our everyday interaction with "strangers" is also very important, it's easily dismissed.
    We can make someone's day better with a smile or a kind word or gesture.
    These everyday interactions make a life blessed, the human bond happens in a fraction of a second and they all count!
  • pandora wrote:
    Our everyday interaction with "strangers" is also very important, it's easily dismissed.
    These everyday interactions make a life blessed, the human bond happens in a fraction of a second and they all count!
    Great point. Think about a time when you were having a rotten day and then someone was actually friendly or considerate to you. It can completely change how you're feeling.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Sounds like some of you need a new friend. That must mean it is once again time for a PARTY IN EYED'S BASEMENT! WOO-HOO!!!!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    pandora wrote:
    Great point. Think about a time when you were having a rotten day and then someone was actually friendly or considerate to you. It can completely change how you're feeling.

That's what my cats are for... wait a second, all they do is lay around and glare at me between bouts of licking their ass.

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    What's human interaction?

I hardly get any as I've worked from home for 2 1/2 years. Nobody phones anymore it's all emails. I've never met half of my customers and the only face to face I get is the old boy who walks his dog on my walk in the mornings and a Portuguese fella who runs the cafe I get my coffee from.

I blame technology and the internet. :twisted:
    nuffingman wrote:
    What's human interaction?

I hardly get any as I've worked from home for 2 1/2 years. Nobody phones anymore it's all emails. I've never met half of my customers and the only face to face I get is the old boy who walks his dog on my walk in the mornings and a Portuguese fella who runs the cafe I get my coffee from.

I blame technology and the internet. :twisted:

I saw a bunch of kids this morning waiting at a bus stop and everysingle one of them was staring at some handheld device. None were actually communicating with each other.

Freak Show Revival

Everywhere I look
    See blank eyes
    On plastic devices
    In a death grip
    Before the face
    Vision that should be
    Somewhere
    On the road ahead
    On other worlds underfoot
    And stars above
    On the person
    Sitting across the table

Everybody is wishing
    They were someplace else
    Hearing another voice
    Living any kind of life
    Other than the one in which
    They find themselves
    Wanting to disappear
    Into hand held dimensions

Used to joke
    About those unable
    To see beyond
    The end of their nose
    Never realizing
    How horribly unfunny
    It might appear
    With these shiny tumors
    Sprouting from fingertips
    And cheekbones
    Ushering in
    A whole new age
    Of separation

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    pandora wrote:

that's so true
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    Sounds like some of you need a new friend. That must mean it is once again time for a PARTY IN EYED'S BASEMENT! WOO-HOO!!!!
    woo hoo! Sign me up :mrgreen:

Lately I'm getting too much human interaction. I feel way too over-stimulated. I keep fantasizing about being alone in a hotel room...white walls...white sheets...just me and a book. Then I realized that sounds an awful lot like an insane asylum :|