stickman jaystickman jay Posts: 44
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Yes He Is
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MANKINDMANKIND Posts: 218
    only on guitar hero
    Va Beach 08-03-00, Pittsburgh 04-28-03, State College 05-03-03, Hershey 07-12-03, Boston 09-29-04, Reading 10-01-04, Philly 10-03-05, Camden 05-27-06, Pittsburgh 06-23-06, Va Beach 06-17-08, Philly 10-30-09, Philly 10-31-09, Bristow 05-13-10
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    Abso-fucking-lutely he is. Anyone who tells you Slash isn't a great player doesn't know shit.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    yes, he is :D
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    he bores me to tears
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    why is this thread in the PJ forum?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    wrong thread
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'm not so sure i'd call him a god, but there's no doubt his tone is amazing. Anyone that knows anything about playing would have to concede that.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    absolutely not
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    Paaaaaaaaaaaaa.....lease.

That dude sucks ass. I guess if you like that weak music that tries to be cool with no meaning then he's perfect for that kind a music. I like great guitar players that play with emotion and energy. Since this is a Pearl Jam board I'll just say Mike Mccready destroy's him in absolutely every single aspect of playing a guitar. Guns and Roses were a splash in the pan, and so was velvet revolver. If slash went by his real name and had way less hair he would be considered a meh guitar player. But because of his "cool" name and long curly hair he gimmicked his way to recognition.

PERIOD.

Now that that's been said, lets get this moved to the right forum.
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Paaaaaaaaaaaaa.....lease.

That dude sucks ass. I guess if you like that weak music that tries to be cool with no meaning then he's perfect for that kind a music. I like great guitar players that play with emotion and energy. Since this is a Pearl Jam board I'll just say Mike Mccready destroy's him in absolutely every single aspect of playing a guitar. Guns and Roses were a splash in the pan, and so was velvet revolver. If slash went by his real name and had way less hair he would be considered a meh guitar player. But because of his "cool" name and long curly hair he gimmicked his way to recognition.

PERIOD.

Now that that's been said, lets get this moved to a new forum.

Right...it was his curly hair then. Good to know that MY curly hair and changing my name to "Smash" will make me famous and a highly regarded guitar player in professional music.

WOO-HOO! go me and my hair! :D

paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-lease.

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,221
    Slash was onstage Tuesday in Los Angeles with... Stevie Vai, Tom Morello, Wayne Kramer (MC5), Flea on bass and Stewart Copeland on the drums... doing 'Rockin' In The Free World' with Pete Yorn on lead vocals, Perry Farrell on backing vocals. That's a pretty good little band.
    And i've seen Slash rip through song... from about 2 feet away... and yeah... the fucking guy is a guitar player.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Slash has a much more distinctive style than McCready. No contest between the two if you ask me... I love Mike, but he's no where near the legend Slash is.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Guitar god? Jimi Hendrix is THE guitar god. If he wasn't , why is it so many guitarists talk about approaching his level, but never working at his level. Talk about him with reverence. even though his star rode high for only 3+ years. Many others, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Peter Townshend, Buddy Guy ,Mike McCready, and even Slash are unbelieveable. But god? No way.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Slash has a much more distinctive style than McCready. No contest between the two if you ask me... I love Mike, but he's no where near the legend Slash is.

And I'll probably get a little heat for this, but Mike has never completely dominated a song like Slash does with Estranged.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    And I'll probably get a little heat for this, but Mike has never completely dominated a song like Slash does with Estranged.

Ah...Reach Down...Alive...and just about every live performance he has done!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Slash is amazing! Why are people here comparing Slash to Mike McCready? The question wasn't who's better....Slash or Mike McCready. The question was is Slash a guitar God. Give Slash credit. He plays with so much emotion and melody in his solos. Mike McCready is one of my favourite guitarists and one of the best in my eyes but you have to admit that Slash is amazing!
  • Options
    Ah...Reach Down...Alive...and just about every live performance he has done!

I'm not saying Mike hasn't had some awesome performances. And I'd prefer to listen to Mike more often than not. But Estranged is just on another level for me.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    if not a god, an arch-angel. hes influenced many many players. you cant compare art IMO, Mike does his thing, Slash does his.
  • Options
    I'm not saying Mike hasn't had some awesome performances. And I'd prefer to listen to Mike more often than not. But Estranged is just on another level for me.

you are not alone sir, estranged is a piece of work
  • Options

That first solo, after the "you don't walk so proud" bit, is probably my favourite piece of music to play, or hear, or anything else you wanna imagine.:)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    see, the thing about slash is that he could have been the next jimmy page, SRV, EVH, etc. but he cant seem to find a band that takes music seriously
    bummer, cause I that is one talented dude
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    slash ain't bad.........

but he has never made any important music in my opinion.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    He's pretty good, but no guitar god so many are quick to label him.
    Every solo he's ever played is exactly the same as it was the last time he played it...the show before.
    He may be pretty good in the studio but if I want to hear repetitive guitar work I'll pop on the album.
    I'm a decent guitar player and if I played everything the same way over and over I'd be pretty fuckin' good too.

Just not the style I like...sorry.

That said, I like Mikey too but he is no god either.
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    Right...it was his curly hair then. Good to know that MY curly hair and changing my name to "Smash" will make me famous and a highly regarded guitar player in professional music.

WOO-HOO! go me and my hair! :D

paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-lease.

Nice, Smash. lol.
  • Options

In honour of your forum name which reminded me of the fact...I would nominate Mr. Dave Mustaine as being another guitar "arch-angel" lol.

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Nice, Smash. lol.

See, it's already catching on! :D soon I'll be a famous guitar player and destroy the competition woooooo...

haha :p

I can already hear the Argentina crowd chanting...

Ooooohhh Aguante Smaaash...eeeeessssSmashhhh...eeeeessSmashhh...vamo' vamo' Smasshhhhh

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    Slash is amazing. His solo on "November Rain" is sick.

On a side note, I definitely recommend checking out his book he released not too long ago. Some crazy fucking stories. It really makes Axl Rose look like a big time asshole.
  • Options
    in my opinion randy rhodes was a guitar genius even though his life was tragically short lived just like hendrix,its all about opinions so lets all share our great taste in rock music and not bitch!
    COYS!
  • Options
    oh yeah zakk wylde is the nuts too!
    COYS!
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 702
    slash ain't bad.........

but he has never made any important music in my opinion.
    GNR was as important to the late 80s as Nirvana was for the early 90s
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all