Do you donate blood?

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,980
    No I do not. But I sure would like to donate the blood of someone I know. May not be usable , but I'd like to donate theirs just the same.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mickeyrat wrote:
    No I do not. But I sure would like to donate the blood of someone I know. May not be usable , but I'd like to donate theirs just the same.

:lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    I haven't yet (wasn't allowed to due to blood pressure problems), but I've thought about it a lot in the last weeks, so maybe I should see this thread as a sign and get my AB negative ass to the red cross smiley6.gif
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    mickeyrat wrote:

Have you read my brochure? I have several exciting and affordable deals going on right now.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Why do they make us donate blood, but then they charge us $500 or more to get it back? ;)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Boo Boo wrote:
    Not only do I donate blood but I donate "double reds"
    Which means (if you don't already know) that they take out a pint of blood,
    remove the white blood cells (the plasma) and then pump that back into my body.
    They do that twice. Its a very cool process. You are only allowed to
    do that every six weeks or so.

does it get you high???

No but when the start to pump the plasma back into your body...Your hands get cold and your lips start to tingle
    similar to when your foot falls asleep. ...kinda cool. :D
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,980
    eyedclaar wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Have you read my brochure? I have several exciting and affordable deals going on right now.
    no , I have not. Would you mind sending that along to me? Just was given a blackmail type raise ( do this or else), so I have a few extra bucks these days.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    I went again last night. Instead of just giving blood, they said I am able to give 'double red blood cells.' So they get twice as much as they normally do, and I get a funny feeling in my arm when they put the Saleen in. Bonus!
    I also started recruiting people from work to go with me. It was actually a fun time.
    And the nurses were so greatful. There is a huge need for more blood and not enough people donating.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Nice loadedgun, thanks for bringing this post back up.

I'm scheduled to donate again on the 22nd.

It really is a good thing to do and what a nice gift for someone this time of year - the gift of life!!

There's none greater.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    know1 wrote:
    Why do they make us donate blood, but then they charge us $500 or more to get it back? ;)
    If you donate blood to the Red Cross, rumor is that you don't get charged for blood at the hospital....urban myth? Never had to try it.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    I don't know about that. I do know you can donate your own blood for your use in surgery or something, but there are still costs involved in collecting, testing, transporting and storage of the blood, regardless of who it goes to, that's why it cost money when you receive a blood transfusion. It's no different than the any other outrageous medical cost.
  • Scheduled to give again on December 6th.
    Been donating for many years.

The local Hospital used to give you a coupon for a free pint of ice cream if you donated a pint of blood.
    A pint for a pint.

:P
    Hold On
  • Scheduled to give again on December 6th.

The local Hospital used to give you a coupon for a free pint of ice cream if you donated a pint of blood.
    A pint for a pint.

They might get more response if that free pint was a pint of beer...just saying.
    Scheduled to give again on December 6th.

A pint for a pint.

They might get more response if that free pint was a pint of beer...just saying.

We have a local brewery that used to do that. Pint for a pint. They would have a blood drive outside in the bus, they give you a coupon, and then you can walk straight into the bar. That's a win-win if i've ever heard one.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'll start donating again, when I'm able.

I've needed 3 transfusions each after trauma and a surgery (6 total) and I was still low on blood after the fact. So I know first hand how precious it is. Thanks all who donate!
  • SpaarSpaar Posts: 72
    Yeah I donate blood plasma, every 6 weeks or so. And I'm going to sign up for bone marrow and trombocytes next time.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I'll start donating again, when I'm able.

I've needed 3 transfusions each after trauma and a surgery (6 total) and I was still low on blood after the fact. So I know first hand how precious it is. Thanks all who donate!

Really, after everything Jeanwah has been through - someone from this very board, ONE OF US is proof of the absolute need for those who can donate - to do so.
    Spaar wrote:
    Yeah I donate blood plasma, every 6 weeks or so. And I'm going to sign up for bone marrow and trombocytes next time.

What are trombocytes?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    They've got me donating platelets/white blood cells now....as well as whole blood. 8-)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I give blood whenever they come to my work. Sorry I'm too lazy to go anywhere and do it.

But I have a few issues with the Red Cross:

Sometimes the nurses are cranky and jam that needle in with no regard to how the donor feels. Sometimes they act like they're doing me a huge favor by allowing me to donate blood.

People feel guilted into donating blood even if they shouldn't; my wife was just barely over the weight limit and passed out afterwards, at her desk. I told her no more blood donations.

Why is the OJ so crappy - they couldn't get "not-from-concentrate?"

I asked how many calories giving blood burns, and the nurse said "is that why you're dong it?" Um, no, but (I looked it up) 500c is a nice bonus without having to exercise, and you don't have to be a smartass about it lady.

All that said, I'll keep going.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I wish I could, but I have a condition where I get light headed at the site of blood, or at even the thought that it's being extracted from me...my wife donates regularly though
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • SpaarSpaar Posts: 72
    loadedgun wrote:
    Spaar wrote:

What are trombocytes?
    I looked it up, a more common word for it are platelets, the cells in your blood that make your blood clot. Apparently some people can only receive that from certain donors, like one in a thousand. The same as with bone marrow.
    I gave again last week, double reds. Starting to get more people to go with me, like an after work activity.

A local brewer here has a deal going on, where if you donate you get a free beer. 'Pint for a Pint.' Sounds good to me. We need more people to donate.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    yup. i go about once every 4-6 weeks.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    yes, fairly regularly.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I would if I could but I don't meet the weight requirement
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I do, but I'm not good at it.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I used to donate blood and plasma regularly, but my veins are really terrible and too small most of the time, so more often than not I get turned away. :(
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • I don't I have never tried, I have trouble just getting my blood drawn for the doctors :( I am not even afraid of needles, they just have a tough time finding my veins :(
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I"m not allowed - I"m on the list of categories of people the nursing staff reads off as *not allowed.* (heart issue) I tried a couple times, but the Red Cross staff wouldn't let me.

However, my twin used to donate blood specifically because I wasn't allowed, and because she has a rarer type blood, and because she's nice. Before she moved to Germany where her husband was stationed, she had to have a malaria shot or something along those lines, so now she is in the *not allowed* category as well.

The people in my family who don't faint when they give blood (i.e., women) routinely give blood.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird