9/11

youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
In memory of the victims and hero's of that horriffic day 9 years ago.

Never Forget.
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    2597130663_8edb1efd00.jpg
  • I was driving to work this morning remembering driving to work 9yrs ago...tears just swelled up in my eyes. Then they played John Lennon's "Imagine" and I just lost it listening to those words...how much sense they make...timeless!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    th_CopyofDVC00095.jpg

NEVER Forget,...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Thoughts with the families and victims today.

Glad I was late going into Manhattan that day. Glad my friend had left her job at the wtc a few months before.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Sad day. I was in 5th grade and I remember a lot of kids were being picked up by their parents early. I didn't know what was going on. I go home when school was out at the regular time, turn on the TV, and see the burning towers.

All my prayers are with the families.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Thoughts are with all the families today. I work at Fedex(at the airport), so I was at work that morning. It was scary when the FAA grounded all flights and to see the sky full of planes circling waiting to land.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    spencer958 wrote:
    Thoughts are with all the families today. I work at Fedex(at the airport), so I was at work that morning. It was scary when the FAA grounded all flights and to see the sky full of planes circling waiting to land.

That evening, the usually busy skies were dead-quiet overhead when they grounded every flight. But I could barely see one plane flying in the dark skies. The AWACS (Airborne early Warning And Control System).

572275363_fe468b5d45.jpg
    (stock photo)

The next day we had a US warship in the waters off of Jones Beach.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2010
    My deepest respect to all americans that this tragidy has affected
    A tragic day in history that never will be forgotten
    Today in The Netherlands are many documeteries on tv and a couple movies about this day 9 years ago
    So our hearts are also with you
    This day brings you to the fact how precious live is and how fast things change into something terrible
    Post edited by appie on
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • I was sad and scared all at the same time. In Canada there was a still in the air, people were different...shocked. Incoming US bound planes were being diverted 20 minutes away from where I live.

Thoughts are with the victims and families
  • R.I.P.

COUSIN JIMMY BOY

UNCLE VINNY

AND TO MY 89 FELLOW CO-WORKERS
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    still feel just as sad as the day when it happened, we all will always be victims
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I was sad and scared all at the same time. In Canada there was a still in the air, people were different...shocked. Incoming US bound planes were being diverted 20 minutes away from where I live.

Thoughts are with the victims and families
    I know... even out here on the west coast everything was different.
    I remember that day when my brother and I went to pick up our friends to go to school (still about 7 our time) and they said "a plane hit the WTC" ...I don't think we understood how bad it was until we got to school and saw the news. Nobody did anything in class that day... Our generation now knew how it felt to witness something so atrocious and heartbreaking.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    R.I.P.

COUSIN JIMMY BOY

UNCLE VINNY

AND TO MY 89 FELLOW CO-WORKERS
    I saw your post in the other thread, I still can't fathom knowing more than 90 people who died like that.
    I'm so sorry...

Hearts & Thoughts to you and your family and all the other families affected. :(
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    like many of you i'll never forget that day nor where i was when i heard the news
    i remember driving to work and hearing the Bear Man and Keith talking about a plane flying into the WTC in NYC (only about 50 miles from us) and if any of you know of that morning show, you will understand when I say that I thought it was a joke, they tell a lot of jokes like that. But a few minutes later while parking at work, they came over the air again saying that a 2nd plane had flown into another tower...and now they were obviousy upset by the sounds of their voices.
    It was jarring, and when I got inside the school where I worked and noticed the black out blinds going down around the library, as the walls were glass, and tvs were inside, and the hush in the halls, it occurred to me that many of these children's parents probably worked in or near the WTC (this was a wealthy district with a lot of wall st and other nyc business types).
    Turns out that was absolutely the case..and it was so sad.
    Not to mention the absolute confusion and fear that pervaded the offices. I remember telling my friends how much I loved them, wondering if this was just the start and we'd all be going through a similar situation before the day was over.
    I was scared to death for those not only at the WTC but those of us in "soft targets" as they later came to be known, such as schools, venues that hold a lot of ppl, etc.
    My heart goes out to the families of those lost on that tragic day, not only at the WTC but in the fields of Pennsylvania and at the Pentagon. Moreso to those whose loved one's remains were never found so that a burial could occur and some ever so small sense of closure be put to such an awful experience.

My sincerelst wish for the entire world is that something like this could never happen again. I know that's naive, but that's what i wish for .

And once again I'd like to say that I love you all....and we should make it known to those we love and care about while we still have the time, cuz no one ever knows what the next day, or even the next minute may bring. Make sure that you live each day to the fullest and always treat everyone with respect and love your family and freinds with all you've got to give.

jo
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,692
    My prayers & thoughts to all the famalies affected by this horrible tragedy.

Never Forget

I can't even watch the shows they have on tv today talking about this event and the stories from the famalies affected. It just pisses me off
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Thoughts going out to all the families and friends of those who died. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must have been for those involved.

I was on holiday in Florida the day it happened and turned on the tv just minutes before the second plane hit, 9 years later it still feels almost too horrendous to fully take in :cry:
  • I cant believe it's been 9 years already. I remember exactly where I was that day. Thoughts and prayers with the families of the victims of that horrific act.
  • there was something so uncanny about talking with my 8th grade art students about 9/11 yesterday... i was in the 8th grade myself when it happened...

the kids of today have no idea just how much the world changed that day... its sad that the post 9/11 world is all they know... and its sad to hear how slanted some of their views are of the muslim world from what they overhear on cable news... it is a day for patriotism and remembrance and anyone that uses it as an opportunity to spread islamophobia is a real asshole

i still tear up just thinking about how terrible people can be to one another

i am still DAMN proud of how quickly many americans responded when the chips were down
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576

i am still DAMN proud of how quickly many americans responded when the chips were down

It's sad that it takes a tragedy of epic proportions to create that type of reaction and invoke that type of patriotism. I was in the Navy stationed in Jacksonville, FL on 9/11 and remember how all the flags were waved proudly by citizens and displayed proudly on their vehicles. I clearly remember one man who stood on an overpass from sunrise to sunset waving an American flag to passing motorists while they honked at him in support. Myself and other people who lived nearby brought him food and drinks because he NEVER relieved his post on the bridge until the sun had set. I have not seen that type of unity amongst strangers since weeks after the attacks.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • I don't think anybody will forget where they were when they heard about it...I am a teacher and I had to tell my kids at school about it because we knew they would find out sooner or later. I live in TN so it is somewhat close proximity. My students were fourth graders and we watched some of the news coverage on tv the rest of the day. I had a few students who were picked up by there parents and some that visibly upset. It is still hard to think of all of the victims who lost their lives that day in the WTC.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    We live on the west coast and a friend called very early that morning and told my husband to turn on the TV. "What channel?" he asked. My friend said, (duh) "I think it's on all the channels."

I remember how surreal everything felt for a while. I went to a meeting a few weeks after and a guy (a TV producer, go figure) said, "I don't get why it's such a big deal. I mean, it's not as if I knew anybody who died."

I swear that story is true.

And I remember reading this in The Onion and how it somehow made things better. Like - life goes on, we'll get through this. And I post the link, not to trivialize what happened, because unlike that asshole producer, I think 9/11 was a big deal.

http://www.theonion.com/issue/3734/
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    1-9-11-2.gif

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    on the treadmill at the gym today...watching mlb network's recap of the 2011 world series. had to fight back the tears.

i worked in alexandria virginia....lived 5 mins from the pentagon. unreal day.

can't believe that it's been 9 years.
    www.myspace.com
  • I can't believe it either. I spent most of the day around the Trade Center, listening to some of the reading of the names. I didn't know any of the names, but I still felt like it was something I should be at and hadn't been able to go in previous years.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • got back from work,my sister called..told me if i saw what happen to ny..i turn on the tv and there was the 2nd airplane crash to the tower..
    sad day..R.I.P. to the victims
    PEACE
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Thank you youngter for starting this thread. I have to say Im really shocked at the lack of responses though. :? :(

We shall never forget
    We shall keep this day,
    We shall keep the events and the tears
    In our minds, our memory and our hearts
    and take them with us as we carry on.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    prfctlefts wrote:
    Thank you youngter for starting this thread. I have to say Im really shocked at the lack of responses though. :? :(

We shall never forget
    We shall keep this day,
    We shall keep the events and the tears
    In our minds, our memory and our hearts
    and take them with us as we carry on.

only 2 pages of responses / posts.

thats pretty sad .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    edited September 2010
    got back from work,my sister called..told me if i saw what happen to ny..i turn on the tv and there was the 2nd airplane crash to the tower..
    sad day..R.I.P. to the victims
    PEACE

I was still on vacation, just a few days before moving from France to the UK, it was very warm and sunny and time was floating slowly and peacefully like nothing wrong could ever happen.
    The TV was on in the background.

Then the programs stopped.
    And the images were shown of the planes crashing in the towers.
    I stood in shock. That couldn't be real. The sight of people jumping off the towers is one that can never be erased.
    Today, it still feels as though it wasn't real somehow, when I look back at the pictures of NYC I took as a teen tourist just 2 yrs before.
    That day was that of the end of our collective innocence.
    I couldn't grasp just how it must have felt like to be an American that day, let alone be in NYC or know people that died in such a horrendous way.
    But I'm positive, and you can correctly if I'm wrong there, that this day we, European, were all Americans as well.
    May we, almost 10 years later and no matter where we live or come from, have all learnt the lesson not to fuel hatred toward one community or another, that down the line we're all in this together and all alike.
    Sadly, I doubt it.

I miss words, so to all the victims, R.I.P.
    Post edited by myra on
  • Sorry guys, I was busy yesterday. It was my sophomore year in college in Rhode Island. I just finished my early class and came back to my dorm. Someone on my floor told me a plane crashed into the WTC, so I flipped on the tv and watched the second plane crash into the second tower. I was horrified and speechless. Over the next several hours, I became angry and filled with sadness. How could this possibly happen? I'll never forget this day as long as I live.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims families and friends on this 9th anniversary of the tragedy.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • myra wrote:
    But I'm positive, and you can correctly if I'm wrong there, that this day we, European, were all Americans as well.
    hmm..not you arent..remind me the 11th march 2004..maybe is the main reason that in my heart spain is number 1 country..i was in Madrid to see my girlfriend when the bombs explode in the trains..191 people loose their lifes..
    i felt a spanish guy that day....i ll never forget those faces of people staring to nowhere and tears running from their eyes..i went to atocha to leave a candle to honor the innocent victims..
    my breath was cut of what i saw and took a picture of it...just speechless..

madridcryingagain4.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”