espn, you suck

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm probably late on this, but I just saw that nbc has a 24 hour sports vhannel kicking off Jan 1. Apparently VS is morphing into NBC Sports Network.

Good shit...and even less reason to watch espn when they're not showing games.

All the Longhorn Network BS really is what got me with ESPN. I'm an Aggie fan (hard to admit these days) and ESPN's coverage and bias towards UT is ridiculous. All their college football people are hard to listen to. Plus makes me mad that last year's NBA finals was made out more of the Heat losing it than the Mavs winning.

I'll watch the NBC/Vs. network just for a hopefully different and more unbiased perspective.

I do like college gameday. Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit are awesome.

I don't have a favorite D-1 school, so I might not notice their bias (if they have one)
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm getting to where I can hardly watch ESPN because of all the sensationalism. They blow every little thing out of proportion and try to assign historic significance to every single event.

For instance last night the power goes out at the stadium. Instead of just being satisfied that it was just a power outtage that was being repaired they were constantly talking about the '89 earthquake, sharing memories about it, drawing comparisons, etc. The '89 earthquake killed people, left thousands injured, and caused something like 6 billion dollars in damage. Last night a transformer outside the stadium blew and they had to wait until it was repaired to continue the game. Not even remotely related.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting to where I can hardly watch ESPN because of all the sensationalism. They blow every little thing out of proportion and try to assign historic significance to every single event.

For instance last night the power goes out at the stadium. Instead of just being satisfied that it was just a power outtage that was being repaired they were constantly talking about the '89 earthquake, sharing memories about it, drawing comparisons, etc. The '89 earthquake killed people, left thousands injured, and caused something like 6 billion dollars in damage. Last night a transformer outside the stadium blew and they had to wait until it was repaired to continue the game. Not even remotely related.

well put. I'll add the horrible personalities they have now. and their need to put EVERYTHING into lists. one week rodgers is the best QB of all time. the next week it's brady. this week it's brees. fucking annoying, who gives a shit?

I also despise they way they force feed us women's sports and the NBA. No one cares, stop telling us that we should because you have those games
  • themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm probably late on this, but I just saw that nbc has a 24 hour sports vhannel kicking off Jan 1. Apparently VS is morphing into NBC Sports Network.

All the Longhorn Network BS really is what got me with ESPN. I'm an Aggie fan (hard to admit these days) and ESPN's coverage and bias towards UT is ridiculous. All their college football people are hard to listen to. Plus makes me mad that last year's NBA finals was made out more of the Heat losing it than the Mavs winning.

I'll watch the NBC/Vs. network just for a hopefully different and more unbiased perspective.

I do like college gameday. Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit are awesome.

I don't have a favorite D-1 school, so I might not notice their bias (if they have one)

Gameday is fun to watch, especially when Corso said "fuck it" on air. Listening to Lou Holtz and Mark May makes me sick though.
    Gameday is fun to watch, especially when Corso said "fuck it" on air. Listening to Lou Holtz and Mark May makes me sick though.

Lou Holtz is unbearable. He sounds like Sylvester from Looney Tunes
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

jan 2nd

but yeah, VS. was bought by NBC.

Vs was a comcast station and comcast was purchased by NBC. Just glad there's another sports option out there. Once games are over I can't change espn quickly enough
    I thought it was the other way around; I thought Comcast bought NBC. I remember Conan making jokes about it when he was host of "The Tonight Show".
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

jan 2nd

but yeah, VS. was bought by NBC.

Vs was a comcast station and comcast was purchased by NBC. Just glad there's another sports option out there. Once games are over I can't change espn quickly enough
    I thought it was the other way around; I thought Comcast bought NBC. I remember Conan making jokes about it when he was host of "The Tonight Show".

you could be right. I don't know. I think comcast has a majority share of nbc...I don't think they own the entire nbc entity
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    The Fixer wrote:
    you could be right. I don't know. I think comcast has a majority share of nbc...I don't think they own the entire nbc entity

comcast bought nbcuniversal so now all comcast properties including vs, golf channel etc are now nbc branded
    The Fixer wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, it's around the 50% mark, like 48 or 49 or it could be 50.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Comcast bought NBC from GE.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,734
    The Fixer wrote:

Lou Holtz is unbearable. He sounds like Sylvester from Looney Tunes

Yeah, I think it's about time for Lou to hang it up and enjoy retirement. Listening to him and Mark May argue is beyond painful.
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    ESPN SUCKS.

I have been livid about the whole power outage thing all day today. It was horrible coverage. Also, ESPN is abll about the personalities. These guys are just dying to make a name for themselves. Chris Berman sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

I wonder if NBC will really affect ESPN's ratings. I remember CNNSI was a 24 hour sports network that did not last.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Comcast bought NBC from GE.

correct.

hence all the nbc themed stuff at "philly live."

:roll:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    FrankY59 wrote:
    ESPN SUCKS.

I have been livid about the whole power outage thing all day today. It was horrible coverage. Also, ESPN is abll about the personalities. These guys are just dying to make a name for themselves. Chris Berman sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

I wonder if NBC will really affect ESPN's ratings. I remember CNNSI was a 24 hour sports network that did not last.

i'm interested in seeing what the nbc channel is like. can't stand espn but it is just such a behemoth. it's so tough for any sports network to compete with them. they have the nba, mlb, and nfl.

nbc does have hockey though. and they'll probably emphasize the nhl since they carry it...which makes sense. never get why people don't understand why espn hypes up the sports they carry so much. it's their job to do so. they're running a business predicated on ratings and advertising dollars. naturally they want to do what they can to keep can to get their viewers talking about the games they will be televising :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm probably in the minority, but I really love ESPN's college basketball analysts and commentators for games and College Game Day.
    Newch91 wrote:
    I'm probably in the minority, but I really love ESPN's college basketball analysts and commentators for games and College Game Day.

i kind of a agree. dick vitale is a clown at this point though. and digger phelps is a bit of a douche.

love bill rafferty. everyone else is okay in my book.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Newch91 wrote:

i kind of a agree. dick vitale is a clown at this point though. and digger phelps is a bit of a douche.

You may be right about Dicky V, but he loves it and brings excitement to the games when I'm watching. I really like Jay Bilas, even though he played for Duke, but he's fair to other teams (unlike that prick Billy Packer).

I also like CBS' crew for college basketball.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

You may be right about Dicky V, but he loves it and brings excitement to the games when I'm watching. I really like Jay Bilas, even though he played for Duke, but he's fair to other teams (unlike that prick Billy Packer).

I also like CBS' crew for college basketball.

college basketball is awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    college basketball is awesome.
    :thumbup: :clap: +1, it blows the NBA out of the water. Plus, it has the best month of all sports.
    never get why people don't understand why espn hypes up the sports they carry so much. it's their job to do so. they're running a business predicated on ratings and advertising dollars. naturally they want to do what they can to keep can to get their viewers talking about the games they will be televising :lol:

I think everybody understands that, they just don't like it. ESPN wasn't always that way though. For instance they used to have hockey games, but they never hyped it. They would talk about women's college indoor volleyball in more detail than hockey.

There was a time where I found ESPN relaxing. You could just turn it on and see highlights, get scores, and sports news was reported in a sort of matter-of-fact way. But now it's become a mixture of E! News and FOX News. OK, not AS bad, but along the same lines. And it's just tied into how much they've grown. It's become a huge monster that has to feed itself.
    One thing I hate about ESPN is the constant coverage of the NFL and college football every single day, including the offseason.
    There was a time where I found ESPN relaxing. You could just turn it on and see highlights, get scores, and sports news was reported in a sort of matter-of-fact way. But now it's become a mixture of E! News and FOX News. OK, not AS bad, but along the same lines. And it's just tied into how much they've grown. It's become a huge monster that has to feed itself.

i agree except to me it is as bad as fox and e...it's sensationalized douchbaggery
    norm wrote:

i agree except to me it is as bad as fox and e...it's sensationalized douchbaggery

True, and that's what I meant by "along those lines", I said not AS bad as FOX because ESPN is after all just reporting on sports and not trying to influence politics/elections. I just meant the ramifications of ESPN's sensationalism isn't as bad as FOX News.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    are they running they heat check this year
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    never get why people don't understand why espn hypes up the sports they carry so much. it's their job to do so. they're running a business predicated on ratings and advertising dollars. naturally they want to do what they can to keep can to get their viewers talking about the games they will be televising :lol:

I think everybody understands that, they just don't like it. ESPN wasn't always that way though. For instance they used to have hockey games, but they never hyped it. They would talk about women's college indoor volleyball in more detail than hockey.

i agree with your 2nd paragraph completely. it's why i can't stand espn. regarding the 1st: my point is the nbc channel will probably do the same thing with the nhl. because that is what television networks do: promote their programming.

not a hockey fan but just from reading that espn book; espn really helped the nhl grow and vice versa. towards the end, i would think the reason why they spent less time covering it as opposed to the nba, mlb, and the nfl is that it's by far the least popular of the 4.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    81 wrote:

are you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    81 wrote:

dimi is posting too much...81 is starting to speak greeklish
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

dimi is posting too much...81 is starting to speak greeklish

why now you don't understanding?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    damn you beer :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,734
    Newch91 wrote:
    One thing I hate about ESPN is the constant coverage of the NFL and college football every single day, including the offseason.

Well, the NFL is the most popular sport in the US so I can see why there is so much coverage.