Options

Pastor Terry Jones Says Jesus Christ Would Burn Quoran's Too

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    It seems like some of the American people are confused between Muslims and Muslim extremists. Muslim EXTREMISTS say Allah says kill and everything else they've said. That's wrong. Muslims are for peace. Not to boast myself or anything but I have Muslim friends and they are very friendly people (I don't know if that's relevant to this or not). It's a shame that those people stereotype Muslims as killers because of the extremists.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Newch91 wrote:
    It seems like some of the American people are confused between Muslims and Muslim extremists. Muslim EXTREMISTS say Allah says kill and everything else they've said. That's wrong. Muslims are for peace. Not to boast myself or anything but I have Muslim friends and they are very friendly people (I don't know if that's relevant to this or not). It's a shame that those people stereotype Muslims as killers because of the extremists.
    americans unable to differentiate between extreme islam and what is practiced by most muslims, as some are unable to name a country that begins with a "U".

to be fair, this guy is a nut. his church a cult. his plan to burn korans an act of attention seeking. he does not even represent the idiot minority in america.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    edited September 2010
    the US media should just not broadcast it.. or film it.. or give the guy his 2 minutes of infamy.

its that easy..

plus you all know that the clips of him and his crew burning the Quorans will make it's way onto the news in Muslim countries and they will consequently overreact through their own lack of knowledge...

they will watch it on their TV's and think that these morons represent America and therefore the West...

I hate to say it but if one person out in the Arabic countries dies as a result of this, either through rioting, revenge, etc... then this pastor and his flock should be charged with causing their murder.
    Post edited by dunkman on
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    exactly. ignoring him would have gone a long way.
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    At school today, they normally have CNN on and the bottom headline said a a group is going to buy a Quoran for every Quoran burned. :clap::clap:

Well, that is pretty silly to. Why are there so many idiots in the world?
    not really. it effectively renders the book burning meaningless. its a form of censorship. and if they replace the ones being burned....the burning will have no impact on the total.

not like this idiot could burn enough to make a dent, still, that's the idea behind book burning, a form of censership.

He's not burning the books for censorship, it's merely a show. He's burning it for the visual. So, no amount of book buying will make up for that.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    He's not burning the books for censorship, it's merely a show. He's burning it for the visual. So, no amount of book buying will make up for that.
    it would be funny if they light the fire too close to the church and it goes up as well....or even funnier if someone puts on a show and burns his church down...that would be ironic...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    it would be funny if they light the fire too close to the church and it goes up as well....or even funnier if someone puts on a show and burns his church down...that would be ironic...

Again, this guy is an idiot. But you would support burning down a building because some guy burned a few books?

That is crazy.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Again, this guy is an idiot. But you would support burning down a building because some guy burned a few books?

That is crazy.
    he is sending a message, why can't someone send an equal message to him? i have no tolerance for bigotry and in a perfect world bigots would get what they deserve...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    i hope it rains and those dumbasses can't light the fire....now that would be a message from the jesus i was taught about as a kid...
    LOL! Perfect.
  • Options
    From the New Haven Register today:

http://nhregister.com/articles/2010/09/ ... 884612.txt
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    dunkman wrote:
    the US media should just not broadcast it.. or film it.. or give the guy his 2 minutes of infamy.

its that easy..

plus you all know that the clips of him and his crew burning the Quorans will make it's way onto the news in Muslim countries and they will consequently overreact through their own lack of knowledge...

they will watch it on their TV's and think that these morons represent America and therefore the West...

I hate to say it but if one person out in the Arabic countries dies as a result of this, either through rioting, revenge, etc... then this pastor and his flock should be charged with causing their murder.
    Well said but they seem to already know about it..

This has received a lot of air time over here with of course the compulsory footage of muslims chanting "Death to America" etc etc. I'm not sure what it has to do with America as it's one dickhead and his motley crew.

Surely America must have a law that can prevent him doing this, inciting a riot, disturbing the peace, being a wanker for example.
  • Options
    Pastor says may halt Koran burning if White House asks
    (aka Idiot tries and fails to find his way out of shitstorm without anyone thinking he's an idiot)

(AFP)
    WASHINGTON — A Florida pastor at the center of a global storm over plans to burn hundreds of Korans said Thursday he would likely call off the event if asked to by the Obama administration.
    Terry Jones, head of the Dove World Outreach Center, told USA Today he had not been contacted by the White House, Pentagon or State Department about Saturday's planned ceremony on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
    If he were "that would cause us definitely to think it over. That's what we're doing now. I don't think a call from them is something we would ignore," Jones told the daily.
    US President Barack Obama on Thursday warned the burning ceremony would be a "recruitment bonanza" for Al-Qaeda, which carried out the 2001 attacks on the United States in which almost 3,00 people died.
    "You know, you could have serious violence in places like Pakistan or Afghanistan," Obama told ABC television in an interview.
    "This could increase the recruitment of individuals who'd be willing to blow themselves up in American cities, or European cities," he said.
    US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has also condemned the plans as "disgraceful," while military leaders have warned it could endanger troops serving in Afghanistan and Pakistan, both Muslim countries.
    The gun-toting pastor said the aim of Saturday's three-hour evening event in Gainesville, Florida, was to send a message to radical Islamists that "it is possibly time for us in a new way to actually stand up and confront terrorism."
    But his tiny church of about 50 members has triggered fears that a violent wave of Islamic anger could ripple around the globe, similar to past controversies centered around Islam.
    Danish cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, who sparked Muslim outrage in 2006 with a drawing of the Prophet Mohammed, told German media that satire like his was "provocation. Provocation should lead to reflection, to enlightenment, to knowledge. In this case, this is really not the case."
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

its that easy..

Surely America must have a law that can prevent him doing this, inciting a riot, disturbing the peace, being a wanker for example.

Unfortunately, no. He's "protected by the constitution under the first amendment". He could be arrested for inciting a riot and disturbing the peace but then he'll say the whole being protected by the constitution thing.
  • Options
    Wow. So do you wish the same of the mosques of the people who burn American Flags and Bibles? Or, like so many on this board, is your antipathy and rage only directed at the indiscretions of the West?
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:
    Wow. So do you wish the same of the mosques of the people who burn American Flags and Bibles? Or, like so many on this board, is your antipathy and rage only directed at the indiscretions of the West?
    a bigot is a bigot is a bigot....i am all for religious tolerance. actually i am anti religion, but since it is so ingrained in our culture i am for tolerating all people and advocate all faiths getting along. these people in florida are sowing hatred and fear and as such, maybe jesus will intervene since this against his teaching? or maybe they will actually have to endure their worst fear if someone burns down their den of bigotry...

as far as burning flags go, that does not bother me at all. to me it is just a piece of cloth, nothing more, nothing less.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    as far as burning flags go, that does not bother me at all. to me it is just a piece of cloth, nothing more, nothing less.
    A Quoran or Bible is just bound paper, nothing more, nothing less as well. But the flag, just like holy books, represent something much greater then the materials the are composed of.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    A Quoran or Bible is just bound paper, nothing more, nothing less as well. But the flag, just like holy books, represent something much greater then the materials the are composed of.
    you have your opinion, i have mine. people try to lead their lives based on what the book says, the flag represents the actions both good and bad of your country. that flag and those books do not represent bigotry to me. though it is interesting to me that those burning the books in florida would most likely embrace the flag, wrap themselves in it, and hide behind it...

and based on that flag, these people have justification for burning the books, since what that flag represents was why we were attacked in the first place...

$100 says the quran burners consider themselves "patriots"...

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i say we have a bible buring across the street....who's with me
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    81 wrote:

yeah, no shit 81....you should get your homies and do it dressed up in fake muslim attire while you're at it to really stir it up..
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Options
    a bigot is a bigot is a bigot....i am all for religious tolerance. actually i am anti religion, but since it is so ingrained in our culture i am for tolerating all people and advocate all faiths getting along. these people in florida are sowing hatred and fear and as such, maybe jesus will intervene since this against his teaching? or maybe they will actually have to endure their worst fear if someone burns down their den of bigotry...

Didn't directly answer my question there, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt based on your repetitve use of the word "bigot". Also not sure if you're being sarcastic about Jesus "intervening" but it's good to know you at least recognize ol' Pastor Terry isn't in keeping with His teachings.
    gimme wrote:
    flag represents the actions both good and bad of your country
    See, to me and many others, it doesn't, so you can't accurately make a broad generalization like that. Just like to you the Koran doesn't represent the "good and bad" of what Muslims do, the flag only represents the good of America to me.
    gimme wrote:
    and based on that flag, these people have justification for burning the books, since what that flag represents was why we were attacked in the first place...
    The "bad" Muslims use the Koran as a justification for attacking otherwise innocent infidels. In that sense, the justification you give for Middle Easterners burning the American flag is equivalent to the justification for a Westerner burning the Koran.

Just so we're not losing sight of my overall opinion here, I think this Koran-burner is an idiot and, to put it mildly, acting in a very counterproductive manner. My issue is with how some people have no trouble justifying American flag burning and Bible burning while getting all fired up about Koran burning. I kinda wish I had been involved with this board during the whole Danish cartoon threat fiasco. Would have been interesting to see how people here reacted to that.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    wot ever happens its seems to me that the extremists have won where ever you look people are bending backwards to accommodate these Muslims and the more it happens the more they take the piss .
    [ my brothers a Muslim by the way and yes hes nuts as well ]
    religion it should not be allowed .
    just my view .
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    then this pastor and his flock should be charged with causing their murder.

Se, I think that is bullshit. You are taking away blame from the people actually committing the violence. Burning of a book shouldn't lead to violence of any kind, no matter the book.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

That is crazy.
    he is sending a message, why can't someone send an equal message to him? i have no tolerance for bigotry and in a perfect world bigots would get what they deserve...

Burning a book does not equal burning down a structure like a building. If you think so, you are part of the problem.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    This is gonna make one hell of a south park episode :)

it's funny how Muslim and Christian extremists are so alike
    True - they just can't seem to see that their ideology is really just "extremism" and has very little to do with the label they place on it themselves. Its like they're all hateful idiots and they just reach into a hat and pull out the first emblem that comes to hand, be it cross or crescent.

I blogged about this Terry Jones nonsense here: http://wolfatthetreeline.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Aero83_ wrote:
    81 wrote:

yeah, no shit 81....you should get your homies and do it dressed up in fake muslim attire while you're at it to really stir it up..
    Well, they've already had protests in Afgahnistan about this crazy pastor
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    MotoDC wrote:
    My issue is with how some people have no trouble justifying American flag burning and Bible burning while getting all fired up about Koran burning. I kinda wish I had been involved with this board during the whole Danish cartoon threat fiasco. Would have been interesting to see how people here reacted to that.

Sorry, I'm just jumping in with out reading the whole conversation...... I just wanted to know how a Flag and a Bible are equal? Are you equally insulted by either of the two being burned? .....
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    The way I see it... Pastor Jones has the right to express his opinions as an American... the same a Rev. Fred Phelps and his 'God hate Fags' minions. This is still America and we are all granted that right... regardless of the message it carries. I fully support Pastor's First Amendment RIGHT to free speech... although i am diametrically opposed to the message of ignorance and intolerance he conveys. I believe that Free Speech is not free of consequence and that any resulting actions to Pastor Jones' message should weigh in on Pastor Jones' responsibility and accountability.
    Now... lawmakers cannot ban flag burning or book burning as protected by the First Amendment. Laws can, however, restrict open fires. Several cities have used these types of laws to counter flag burning, burning of effigies, etc... This is where the Fire Department's open fire permit comes into play. You cannot have a bonfire without a permit. If Pastor Jones refuses this and has a fire without a permit, he is in violation of civil code and the fire department can extinguish the fire and issue a citation. If Pastor Jones wants to barbeque the Quran on his Webber Kettle... that is fine... but, it would look pretty silly, flipping the Quran with a spatula and basting it with Heinz 57.
    Other thoughts... Pastor Jones does not speak for or represent all Christians, just as Rev. Phelps does not represent all Christians, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do not represent all black people or terrorists, Usama bin Laden and Al Qaeda do not speak for or represent all of Islam.
    If you are one of those who think being Muslim means being a terrorist.. you must also believe that being Christian makes you Rev. Phelps.
    Finally, Pastor Jones is taking a page out of Rev. Phelps' playbook... media whoring. He is getting all of this publicity and is probably going to try to parlay it into some sort of revenue generator. And checking some of the comments on the YaHoo News page... there is an abundance of people that would be willing to send this guy money. This type of media whoring is what Rev. Phelps, Al Sharpton, Gloria Allred, Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter make a fruitful living on. Pastor Jones just wants to break into the business, too.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Burning a book does not equal burning down a structure like a building. If you think so, you are part of the problem.

costwise it doesn't, but symbolically that book means more to more people than that building. if that building burned it would affect the 50 people that worship ther and a maybe some others that diagree with it, however you can potentially piss off millions to a billion muslims by burning those books for no good reason....and if you fail to recognize that, then you sir are the one that is part of the problem....

• Options

costwise it doesn't, but symbolically that book means more to more people than that building. if that building burned it would affect the 50 people that worship ther and a maybe some others that diagree with it, however you can potentially piss off millions to a billion muslims by burning those books for no good reason....and if you fail to recognize that, then you sir are the one that is part of the problem....

How do you feel about flag burning?

I'm already on record saying this is some stupid shit, but that it doesn't justify any violent reaction.
    hippiemom = goodness