People in ______ (career) should be admired

DreamOfAngelsDreamOfAngels Posts: 829
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
People in _______ (fill in the blank with a career) should be admired. Do you want to help me take this opportunity to identify people in these careers that deserve more attention and admiration? Share a story or identify a career where the person has been a hero to you or a hero to others.

I have a friend that is a firefighter in Illinois and a friend that is a mountaineer on a search/rescue team in a mountainous region of California. People pass them everyday without saying Thank You. Truly professions that deserve more love, attention and appreciation... true heroes that have no boundaries (social or political) (at least not that I'm aware of).

Identify others... and let's bring on the love for men and women in these professions! If you are in one of the professions, speak up so you can be recognized and shown appreciation for all that you do everyday.

Thank you!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• As an aside... the reason I was thinking about this topic today:

I went to an arts/crafts fair in my little city today. The setup: It's arranged with booths on the sides of the street with the walkway down the middle of the road. The road it is on is lined with international food restaurants (Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Italian, etc.) The fire department is also on this street and the firemen grill burgers, dogs, and serve barbeque sandwiches. Today... beautiful sunny day, 72 degrees, wind at about 10-12 mph. Perfect day to get out, visit with artists, listen to music, smell and enjoy foods and spend time with my mom.

We decided to dine at an Indian restaurant that has outside dining right next to the fire department. I look across the parking lot and I see a fireman in his kilt (they play bagpipes too) and on his calf... a STICKMAN! I dropped my food on the table, left my mom, and ran across to say hello. This would have been normal behavior back in the day when I used to drink a lot... I was not shy with anyone... but I am completely sober and for some reason, behaved the same way in this situation. So I run up to him and wait patiently for a break in the conversation - I was wearing my Philly 2009 stickman shirt - he smiled. I found he has lived in the same city as I for 17 years and it appears he is a diehard too. No way! I didn't think that there were other fans in our city (minus 3 I'm aware of) - he says - go in the firehouse. There are two more guys that are "apeshit" over PJ. I decided not to be any weirder than I'm sure I was already being so I went back to my lunch which was now cold. I don't know if these guys are on the board and I didn't ask their names... but it sure felt great to know they are near. So now, the head count is up to 6 fans here :lol:

I knew I always liked firemen.... but now I like them more. :D;) Actually, I truly admire these people.

If you are the firefighter I spoke to earlier today - please let me know!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    people in the sewage/water treatment plant industry are an amazing group of individuals.
    we take them for granted everyday.
    i say we salute the shitty workers of our cities.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLXjXcmBS7s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuMvfj_VOTQ
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    PEOPLE working with little kids(day care, kindergarten, etc) need more respect. I wood not last 1 min with lil kids
  • KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    Yes, people that work at Water Pollution Control Plants are certainly taken for granted, believe me I've heard some horror stories, even about one guy getting decapitated. But, I must confess, I am a Night Custodian that has to clean up after these "WPC" guys... and that's no walk in the park either. They do one of the grosses jobs available, because they're some of the grosses people around, and the majority of them have the mentality of farm animals. Almost 10 years later, not a day goes by that I don't wish I finished college. Oh well, the money and benefits are great and in this economy I can't afford to follow my dreams right now! Thanks.
  • social work
    my sister is a licensed social worker - I could never do it
  • The teaching field should be admired. I live in the southern part of Jersey very close to Philly and Deleware. Teachers in this area often have to pay out of their own pockets in order to buy all of the supplies needed for their classroom. Not only do they have to pay out of pocket, they oftentimes have 30+ kids in their room due to budget cuts in the state. It's very difficult to provide enough time to help students. It amazes me that they are able to help as many students as they do.
  • Cheers JO68689, as a training teacher in New Zealand, it sounds like the situation over there is similar to over here. Our Teaching union is currently in action to get our class sizes capped at 30, and also for the government to provide an allowance to us teachers (particluarly primary school - ages 5 - 10) for materials we need to buy for the classroom. Yeah, it is a tough job but there are heaps of rewards too.

But thats not the profession I would admire the most... how about Nurses? Not doctors, but Nurses. Dealing with people and having to wipe their bums, stick needles into them, catching their vomit, listening to people in pain and cleaning and feeding those who can't quite do it themselves might sound like a typical Friday night for some, but my Mum has done it over 30 years and man, hats off to them and the work they do. And to make it worse, she works in a Dementia ward and sometimes in geriatric care. Long hours working with loonies and old people who have a habit of dying on you is not how I would like to earn my bread. But, if I was that old and decripit, I would love to have a friendly, professional looking after me to the end. That's why I admire them.
  • out of the people i deal with everyday... teachers, janitors, secretaries, special ed folks... basically anyone in our godforsaken public education system
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • As an aside... the reason I was thinking about this topic today:

I went to an arts/crafts fair in my little city today. The setup: It's arranged with booths on the sides of the street with the walkway down the middle of the road. The road it is on is lined with international food restaurants (Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Italian, etc.) The fire department is also on this street and the firemen grill burgers, dogs, and serve barbeque sandwiches. Today... beautiful sunny day, 72 degrees, wind at about 10-12 mph. Perfect day to get out, visit with artists, listen to music, smell and enjoy foods and spend time with my mom.

We decided to dine at an Indian restaurant that has outside dining right next to the fire department. I look across the parking lot and I see a fireman in his kilt (they play bagpipes too) and on his calf... a STICKMAN! I dropped my food on the table, left my mom, and ran across to say hello. This would have been normal behavior back in the day when I used to drink a lot... I was not shy with anyone... but I am completely sober and for some reason, behaved the same way in this situation. So I run up to him and wait patiently for a break in the conversation - I was wearing my Philly 2009 stickman shirt - he smiled. I found he has lived in the same city as I for 17 years and it appears he is a diehard too. No way! I didn't think that there were other fans in our city (minus 3 I'm aware of) - he says - go in the firehouse. There are two more guys that are "apeshit" over PJ. I decided not to be any weirder than I'm sure I was already being so I went back to my lunch which was now cold. I don't know if these guys are on the board and I didn't ask their names... but it sure felt great to know they are near. So now, the head count is up to 6 fans here :lol:

I knew I always liked firemen.... but now I like them more. :D;) Actually, I truly admire these people.

If you are the firefighter I spoke to earlier today - please let me know!

May I come visit this firehouse??!! *swoons*

Sorry to be off topic but yes they are to be admired. I think people that work in seniors homes are SO underpaid and really need to be admired more.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    people in the mortgage industry....they are saints.
    www.myspace.com
  • people in the mortgage industry....they are saints.

just like fellow bond brokers :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    paramedics
  • Truck drivers.
    Nice shirt.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Disability services and child safety.
  • MikeackMikeack Posts: 562
    Commy wrote:
    paramedics

These guys have probably saved my life on more than one occasion, so BIG UP for these angels of the road and air! They do a sterling job out their.
    My other job would be the high voltage LIVE cable jointers who keep electricity the many toys in our homes.
    ADVERTISE your business in my signature space. TOP RATES for limited time only!! lol
  • Damm it took two pgs for someone to mention ..

NURSES & DOCTORS
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Damm it took two pgs for someone to mention ..

NURSES & DOCTORS
    i took "should" be admired to mean people that generally are not...

nurses and doctors get plenty of love and $$$ for what they do

but yah... we'd be in bad shape without them :)

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Social Work
    Education
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Journalism ... we work 7 days a week for very little pay. and we talk to a lot of people with very bad breath.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Military Folk
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I thought I could write all sorts of answers, teachers, cops, firefighters, etc but admiration really comes from how well someone does their job, whatever that job is, and how positive they are while doing it. That's the people I admire most, those that touch your day in a kind, positive way.
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    As for teachers, if we have a class with less than 38 kids, that is considered a privilege (the cap is 40 here).

Security guards should be admired. These guys deal with all kinds of shit and smart ass remarks from people all day. Living in Israel, we have to go through a security guard (checks our bags and metal detector sometimes) to enter any public building (malls, universities, public utilities...). I used to work as a security guard at the entrance to my university when I was still a student. You would not believe the kind of attitude people have!
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • oh! RESTAURANT SERVERS

everyone should have to be a server before they're allowed to eat out... you wouldn't believe the shit I took when I used to be a server

long hours, low pay, very physical work

• lukin2006 wrote:
    Military Folk
    +1

Hospice workers
  • oh! RESTAURANT SERVERS

everyone should have to be a server before they're allowed to eat out... you wouldn't believe the shit I took when I used to be a server

long hours, low pay, very physical work

I used to be a server as well. It can be pretty crazy.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Truck drivers.
    i fully agree.
    i've done that job for 10-12 yrs or longer.
    toughest & greatest job i ever had.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Social workers - particularly those who work with kids, the elderly, hospice or any kind of crisis work
    Plumbers
    Mechanics
    Basically all the people you never appreciate until you need them and then you're damn glad they're there
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • MikeackMikeack Posts: 562
    How about HEDGE FUND MANAGER....surely we could not do without these people? :?
    ADVERTISE your business in my signature space. TOP RATES for limited time only!! lol
  • people working in this forum - 10c ..have to deal with all of us -
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Emergency services
    Services for vulnerable members of society,children,elderly,mentally ill,homeless
    Educators
    Volunteers
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”