Leaving for Europe Thursday...

tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
so I'm off to discover Europe on Thursday, leaving behind my home in Canada....

left my job, my girlfriend and my life as I knew it for years! I fly into Rome, and have plans to meet friends in Germany for Oktoberfest!

Anyone have any advice??? :)
EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
Toronto - 2009
NYC Night 2 - 2010
Toronto Night 2 - 2011
Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
London,ON - 2013
Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
Buffalo - 2013
Charlottesville - 2013
Charlotte - 2013
Detroit - 2014
Ottawa - 2016
Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    You only just going to Germany?
  • tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
    no no. prauge, and thats all i have planed so far...... should be stayin for a month or two?
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • OMG that is awesome!! Go to Prague...so beautiful. I love Italy too although I've only been to the North.

Oktoberfest should be a blast as I loved the beer gardens in Munich! Enjoy :D

Don't fall for the ring trick and watch your bags and most importantly have a BLAST!!!!!!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    tinz. wrote:
    no no. prauge, and thats all i have planed so far...... should be stayin for a month or two?

Prague is a lovely place, make sure to check out the big skeleton clock in the centre!
    OMG that is awesome!! Go to Prague...so beautiful. I love Italy too although I've only been to the North.

Don't fall for the ring trick and watch your bags and most importantly have a BLAST!!!!!!

ring trick?
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • tinz. wrote:

Prague is my new favourite city. It is so romantic there ( I was there with a girlfriend but we both agreed we would love to go back for a romantic trip). The John Lennon wall is cool...they even had a picture of Bubbles there :lol:

OMG I wish I could remember the name of the place we went for dinner one night. I can see it now!! shit. It was SO good. I love the beer. Go to the grocery store...SO cheap.
  • tinz. wrote:
    OMG that is awesome!! Go to Prague...so beautiful. I love Italy too although I've only been to the North.

ring trick?

Oh I doubt you will as only an idiot would fall for it. A guy come up to me in front of the Louvre though. He bends over to "pick" up a ring and says it is gold but since he found it and it might be yours or whatever he is willing to "sell it to you for a deal". Anyway he didn't get that far with me because I at first didn't realize what he was doing and I was so busy getting my pic taken in front of the Louvre that all I could think was "who is this ass clown and can't he see I am getting my pic taken?" :lol:
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    tinz. wrote:

OK, in Prague you have to visit the Kafka museum down by the river next to the Charles Bridge!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Just some spontaneous ideas (and certainly not complete):

Berlin, Hamburg,Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam, London, Edinburgh, Paris, the Bretagne, the Normandy, Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Florence, Dubrovnic, Vienna, Budapest, ... and many more...

Btw, I went the other way. Germany --> Canada.....
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Paulina87Paulina87 Posts: 3,300
    yeah, Prague is really amazing city. But you should definitely visit Montenegro, Macedonia and Bosnia and Herzegovina (especially Mostar) or any other country on Balkans. Really beautiful part of Europe and nice people. Was there 2 years ago I wanna go there again soon. :)
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • tinz. wrote:
    so I'm off to discover Europe on Thursday, leaving behind my home in Canada....

left my job, my girlfriend and my life as I knew it for years! I fly into Rome, and have plans to meet friends in Germany for Oktoberfest!

Anyone have any advice??? :)

Mail us hash.?
    I'll be back
    tinz. wrote:

Prague is my new favourite city. It is so romantic there ( I was there with a girlfriend but we both agreed we would love to go back for a romantic trip). The John Lennon wall is cool...they even had a picture of Bubbles there :lol:

OMG I wish I could remember the name of the place we went for dinner one night. I can see it now!! shit. It was SO good. I love the beer. Go to the grocery store...SO cheap.

And don't forget to drink wine on Hradčany ;)
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • when all finnish to tell u where to go..let me know for give u infos for heaven land in Europe ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Paulina87 wrote:
    yeah, Prague is really amazing city. But you should definitely visit Montenegro, Macedonia and Bosnia and Herzegovina (especially Mostar) or any other country on Balkans. Really beautiful part of Europe and nice people. Was there 2 years ago I wanna go there again soon. :)

I really want to got to Montenegro and Croatia. Also I see you are Poland, I would love to go there someday.
  • btw i need to inform u that there is NO country called MACEDONIA...

called SKOPIE.....
    MACEDONIA is an area at the north of Greece.....they homeland of Alexander the Great..
    sorry for that,but i need to do it..
    thanks
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    btw i need to inform u that there is NO country called MACEDONIA...

called SKOPIE.....
    MACEDONIA is an area at the north of Greece.....they homeland of Alexander the Great..
    sorry for that,but i need to do it..
    thanks

:? You're talking like my bulgarian teacher :p but I still like you :)
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    You should definately come to the South East of France : Alps in the Winter, beaches in the summer, almost always sunny and warm and lost of places to visit. Paris would be a good choice, but for the Parisians :lol:
    Paulina87 wrote:

I really want to got to Montenegro and Croatia. Also I see you are Poland, I would love to go there someday.

Maybe next pj tour will be good reason to travel to Poland.
    And yeah, Montenegro is really worth seeing, I could live there :D
    you guys are all awesome, thank you so much! this may be a silly question but what does a disposable cell phone cost in europe? ive heard they are cheap!? i need to track the guys down in greece haha
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I will agree that Croatia and Montenegro are beautiful.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    tinz. wrote:
    you guys are all awesome, thank you so much! this may be a silly question but what does a disposable cell phone cost in europe? ive heard they are cheap!? i need to track the guys down in greece haha

I'm not sure I've ever come around a disposable cell phone, but you can get a (rather cheap) cell phone and then buy chip cards to insert into it, if you're not staying long enough / don't want to get a subscription with a carrier.
    However, the cheapest way to get a cell phone is obviously to get a subscription, even a short term one (one year), with a carrier. Then you'll probably be able to get a cell phone for as little as one to 49 euros (in France at least - we have very cheap cell phones, that's why people change phones all the time).
  • Prague is somethin...just amazed me, like steppin back into history, no contemporary, bullshit architecture, which sadly is now too prevalent in parts of western Europe... there's a really nice pedestrian bridge in one part of town, with musicians and painters... good vibes all around

Koln in Germany, I found to be the most rockin city in the country... vibrant, a lil rundown...just the perfect mix... and a blackened, solid, overwhelming cathedral of the dark ages...no matter how far you run, it shadows your ass... at least that's how I felt..

but of all the places I've been to in Europe, France stole my heart...someday I gotta get it back... beautiful people and beautiful accents... and Lille... what a city...damn ... and the wine, my God the wine!
    but of all the places I've been to in Europe, France stole my heart...someday I gotta get it back... beautiful people and beautiful accents... and Lille... what a city...damn ... and the wine, my God the wine!

I HAVE to agree with that.
    I've been to Lille a couple of times for professionnal purpose, but got totally stoke by how beautiful and welcoming it is. Definately a place I'd like to visit again .... on holiday.
  • myra wrote:

I HAVE to agree with that.
    I've been to Lille a couple of times for professionnal purpose, but got totally stoke by how beautiful and welcoming it is. Definately a place I'd like to visit again .... on holiday.

I too would like to visit again... and never leave : ) and I'm sure Marseille is nothin less..

I too would like to visit again... and never leave : ) and I'm sure Marseille is nothin less..

Yep, Marseille is worth seeing as well. A totally different experience : love it or hate it, but few remain indifferent.
    Travellers usually go to Paris, how come you picked Lille ? That's an interesting choice actually. Glad you enjoyed your stay in France :)
  • myra wrote:

Yep, Marseille is worth seeing as well. A totally different experience : love it or hate it, but few remain indifferent.
    Travellers usually go to Paris, how come you picked Lille ? That's an interesting choice actually. Glad you enjoyed your stay in France :)

yeah, love or hate is one thing.. indifference is another thing... I was in Europe recently for the Pearl Jam tour, and before gettin to Arras where the gig was, my entirely unplanned journey just sort of landed me, along with my friend, in Lille.... amazin how you end up in the best places when you have no idea how you got there to begin with.. the Pearl Jam France gig was, for me also the most powerful... I guess it was just the state of mind I happened to find myself in when I was in your beautiful country... intense... we did go to Paris also, and there too, I had a meaningful time for I was in a real low, so it was an emotional trip... the other night I actually dreamt, that someone was askin me where I'm headed, and I said I'm headed to France... just to chill : )

yeah, love or hate is one thing.. indifference is another thing... I was in Europe recently for the Pearl Jam tour, and before gettin to Arras where the gig was, my entirely unplanned journey just sort of landed me, along with my friend, in Lille.... amazin how you end up in the best places when you have no idea how you got there to begin with.. the Pearl Jam France gig was, for me also the most powerful... I guess it was just the state of mind I happened to find myself in when I was in your beautiful country... intense... we did go to Paris also, and there too, I had a meaningful time for I was in a real low, so it was an emotional trip... the other night I actually dreamt, that someone was askin me where I'm headed, and I said I'm headed to France... just to chill : )

Aaaargh, don't mention the Arras gig, I missed it ! Found out about it three days after it was held, only to realise that in the meantime I had missed the Bilbao one as well ... Painful memory :cry:
    I guess going to a show in a different country must be quite an experience in itself, especially if your journey is unplanned. I can totally imagine the state of mind you must have been into.
    Oh well, I can only wish they come back to France pretty soon so you can experience it again ;)
  • myra wrote:

Aaaargh, don't mention the Arras gig, I missed it ! Found out about it three days after it was held, only to realise that in the meantime I had missed the Bilbao one as well ... Painful memory :cry:
    I guess going to a show in a different country must be quite an experience in itself, especially if your journey is unplanned. I can totally imagine the state of mind you must have been into.
    Oh well, I can only wish they come back to France pretty soon so you can experience it again ;)

dear God... that is a lot of missing...very intense moshpit in Arras...crazy energy..you know, during last song, Yellowled, I chucked my country's flag on stage and when it fell short, Eddie comes and says to the bouncer: "give it, I'll take it, give it, give it" and ended the gig with my flag stuck in his jeans back pocket...mad stuff... my life made sense : )

so if they go to France again, hopefully we'll experience it together : )

dear God... that is a lot of missing...very intense moshpit in Arras...crazy energy..you know, during last song, Yellowled, I chucked my country's flag on stage and when it fell short, Eddie comes and says to the bouncer: "give it, I'll take it, give it, give it" and ended the gig with my flag stuck in his jeans back pocket...mad stuff... my life made sense : )

Oh, I wish I had seen that ... It must have been so cool to see such flag in a European Concert, I bet he took it ;)

That's a lot of missing indeed, now you know how I finally joined the 10C in August ....

Fingers crossed on our next gig :)

Wherever it may be, I sure won't miss the next European show !
  • myra wrote:

Oh, I wish I had seen that ... It must have been so cool to see such flag in a European Concert, I bet he took it ;)

That's a lot of missing indeed, now you know how I finally joined the 10C in August ....

Fingers crossed on our next gig :)

Wherever it may be, I sure won't miss the next European show !

see you soon then: )