The Jury Duty Experience

2»

Comments

• VartVart Posts: 291
    I just got a notice a couple of days ago. It's for trial jury starting on the 13th of Sept. I have to call the weekend before to see if I have to go. I've never been on a jury before. The first time I got a notice I was in college so I didn't have to go. The second time I got a notice in the county where I grew up, but I was no longer living there so I didn't have to go. I've lived in my current county for about 9yrs and I knew I was going to be getting that notice at any time. Since I've never been on a jury before I am somewhat interested to see how the whole process works.
    PJ: 8/27/00 4/29/03 9/15/05 5/12/06 6/28/08 6/30/08 8/21/09 5/15/10 5/21/10 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/14/11 10/25/13 10/27/13 10/29/13 10/30/13 8/5/16 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18
    EV: 8/09/08 8/10/08 6/08/09 6/09/09 6/18/11
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I've been called 3 times...but never even got called up to the court room to be interviewed for the jury...just sat downstairs the whole time and read. All 3 times I was released before noon (once they let us out at 10:30) and got a full day off work. Looking forward to getting called again :mrgreen:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I did.. It was a 3 week injury trial.. It was interesting and an experience I will never forget, but I wanted to kill the lawyers.. Seriously, there were lawyers who were going to sue if other lawyers lost.. they were lined up.

The best part was becoming friends with people you'd never normally be paired up with in life. The black guy from the ghetto, the Indian convenience store owner, old retired city bus driver.. In those three weeks I became close with people I'd never otherwise be paired up with in real life and you get to debate, and find out how much you really do have in common... plus I got to take the train to the Daily center in downtown Chicago every day.. it was quite an experience, minus the lawyers.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I did.. It was a 3 week injury trial.. It was interesting and an experience I will never forget, but I wanted to kill the lawyers.. Seriously, there were lawyers who were going to sue if other lawyers lost.. they were lined up.

The best part was becoming friends with people you'd never normally be paired up with in life. The black guy from the ghetto, the Indian convenience store owner, old retired city bus driver.. In those three weeks I became close with people I'd never otherwise be paired up with in real life and you get to debate, and find out how much you really do have in common... plus I got to take the train to the Daily center in downtown Chicago every day.. it was quite an experience, minus the lawyers.
    That is a cool point you brought up about becoming friends with people you would not normally have. I was only on my jury for such a short time but the dynamics in the jury room, I felt I would really get to know all the different people and was looking forward to that.
    I'm real shy though, don't think I said but a few words. There were some very take charge people on our jury and some you could tell that didn't want to be there, others that were light and funny.
    I guess like everything in life it's what you make of it and what you take away.

JB thinks he may have goofed up for his jury selection, but they have him going back to the courtroom this am. He was requestioned by the lawyers and also by the judge, really put on the spot and kept after everyone else had left, so somebody wants him, my guess the prosecutor.
    I think he would like to be chosen now. :D