The Jury Duty Experience

pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
JB has Jury Duty this week, it's his first time. He just emailed and said he's off to a courtroom in a jury pool.
I've had it twice and when the notice came was a little disappointed it wasn't for me.
JB on the other hand kept calling and postponing it, this was his last chance, contempt! no more postponing! It's tough cause he runs the biz, a super inconvenience for him and the other employees.

Anyone else have Jury Duty? Did you get chosen to sit on a Jury?
What was your experience? and do you think it is fair that we have to do it? that there are no good excuses except old age and health to get out of it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I've never had to do it. Always wanted to though. Isn't it mandated?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I did it and got picked
    horrible experience
    drug case
    this one woman refused to convict
    despite obvious evidence to the contrary
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I've never had to do it. Always wanted to though. Isn't it mandated?
    yes required by law only out I believe is over 70 or health trouble.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    pandora wrote:
    JB has Jury Duty this week, it's his first time. He just emailed and said he's off to a courtroom in a jury pool.
    I've had it twice and when the notice came was a little disappointed it wasn't for me.
    JB on the other hand kept calling and postponing it, this was his last chance, contempt! no more postponing! It's tough cause he runs the biz, a super inconvenience for him and the other employees.

Anyone else have Jury Duty? Did you get chosen to sit on a Jury?
    What was your experience? and do you think it is fair that we have to do it? that there are no good excuses except old age and health to get out of it.

i've had a few times local but once had it for Federal Jury Duty. Had to get every day for a week. Luckily was between Christmas and New Years (only time I could do it because was in school at the time) so pretty much no one got picked. Did have to answer questions (in a group, not one-on-one) but wasn't chosen for the jury. Was kind of cool but was told when the week started that you could be chosen for like a murder trial and could be taken away for as long as it would take for the trial to run, even could be months - that was a bit scary.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i've never gotten called, i think if you dont register to vote, it's hard for them to track you down.
    But if i ever get called, i'm just gona tell them how i hate all white people.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Depending on the state, you can get out of it for work purposes as well. I have been called in, they forwarded it to my address when I was living in Cali. I called them and said "Hi, uh I can't make it to jury duty" she asked why. I said, "I don't think the bus passes you sent me will cover from San Jose, CA all the way up to Kent, WA." (appx 800 miles). She said, "oh ok, I'll just take you off the list then" I just forgot to mention to her I was moving back in 2 weeks. Sorry, but paying me $9/day for 'who knows how long', is not worth it...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    i've never gotten called, i think if you dont register to vote, it's hard for them to track you down.
    wont work

I tried it and still got picked
    Get_Right wrote:
    wont work

Damn!, how about if i bring a blanket with me and get on my knees and start to pray and mumble in arabic?
    :lol: My kids never registered to vote and they both have already gotten called at their tender ages.
    You'd be surprised that what you say will not necessarily get you out of it as the defense wants one type of juror and the prosecutor another.
    Get_Right wrote:
    wont work

Damn!, how about if i bring a blanket with me and get on my knees and start to pray at mumble in arabic?
    nope
    dress up like a homeless guy and say " I am here to see jesus! This letter says jesus wants to see me! I have been saved by jesus! When can I see jesus?"
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Get_Right wrote:
    wont work

I think if you get a drivers license, they pick names from that pool...too many voters won't do it...suppose if you don't drive or vote you won't get picked...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I got picked. A medical Malpractice case. Lasted 3 days. 3 Long days.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    4and20 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    wont work

I think if you get a drivers license, they pick names from that pool...too many voters won't do it...suppose if you don't drive or vote you won't get picked...

AH HA, i'm both, i drink way to much to get a drivers license and i hate all politicans , so i'm not registered!

I'm Brillant!
  • i've never gotten called, i think if you dont register to vote, it's hard for them to track you down.

you look white.. don't hate yourself... sure you're alright

I don't really hate white people, well most of them, but i do hate the law, so anything to get out of the process.
  • I got mailed the stuff twice, and the first time after calling in, they didn't need me.

The second time, I was in the range of people brought it, but after spending about 3 hours at the courthouse sitting around and waiting, the judge called us in and said that the case was no longer going to trail, thanked us for our time and told us to enjoy the rest of the day.

I've never got past that step...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    We are in a pretty high crime county south of Atlanta. JB just told me this week there are 7 trials on the docket that they need to seat jurors for. He is keeping his fingers crossed he doesn't get chosen
  • i've never gotten called, i think if you dont register to vote, it's hard for them to track you down.

I don't really hate white people, well most of them, but i do hate the law, so anything to get out of the process.

blow up the courts... just kidding ;)
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I've been called every three years, like clockwork, and was impaneled on a jury once. Rape case. Forget if it was two or three days, but it was really interesting. We convicted. But you should know, you don't get to pick the punishment.

I came really close to being impaneled again a couple of years ago, but they tagged me to go and speak with the judge and the defense counsel and procecutor. It was a medical malpractice case involving a botched intubation. They had read us a list of the names of all the people who would be testifying, and asked us to raise our hands if we knew anything about intubation techniques, etc. So I raised my hand because at the time I was an Advanced Cardiac Life Support instructor, and as such, taught intubation. They called me up to ask more questions about what I taught, and then they released me... I was bummed, since I was interested in the case.

My aunt was on a grand jury that took 2 1/2 years to return an indictment in a murder case. At one point they put all the grand jurors in buses and took them out to see the crime scene. She thought it was a great experience. I think by the end they were going 2 full days a week.

My father-in-law, a conservative and crusty retired fire chief, was called once. They asked the potential jurors whether they had any difficult being objective and he said, "Yes. I've worked with the police for 45 years and if they arrest you, you probably deserved it." Exit stage left for conservative and crusty retired fire chief.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • I've had it twice locally and sat on two cases both times. Both were slam dunks....robberies.
    I got called to federal jury duty and had to go one day...didn't get picked the trial and was released.
    Given the nature of my job and its deadlines it made it a HUGE pain in the ass for me to miss work.
    I do think its our duty to serve though....quite an interesting experinece in a way.
    I did like that nice check i got for federal duty too because they paid by the mile and my gas is paid for by work so that was a nice extra chunk of change. I wish I could've made a week or two of it
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    I like hearing all the stories :D

I too was picked one time. It was a rape case of an underage girl. I was happy about getting chosen but a little worried about it being a rape case, I think she was 14. Very early on in the trial, can't remember if it was the prosecutor or the defense lawyer or a witness but one of them said something that we pretty much knew immediately wasn't something we should have heard. We all looked at each other like oops :? they hurried us back in the jury room, had us sit for what seemed forever then said we were dismissed. I think he plead to a lessor charge or something. I was a little relieved but also disappointed to have made it that far. I hope I get chosen again in my lifetime. I think it a pretty cool experience.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    i was picked and sat on a first-degree murder trial for two months last autumn. it was definitely an experience that i wouldn't trade in for anything. yeah, it was gruesome and played with emotions, but it definitely helped define who i've been since.
    i was picked and sat on a first-degree murder trial for two months last autumn. it was definitely an experience that i wouldn't trade in for anything. yeah, it was gruesome and played with emotions, but it definitely helped define who i've been since.
    Wow that would be a life changing experience. A long commitment that must be all encompassing and then you can not even talk to anyone about it while you are living through it all. And you have someone's future in your hands also. It seems you look at the experience in a very positive way, that is good.
    pandora wrote:
    Wow that would be a life changing experience. A long commitment that must be all encompassing and then you can not even talk to anyone about it while you are living through it all. And you have someone's future in your hands also. It seems you look at the experience in a very positive way, that is good.

...AND my girlfriend of 6 years broke up with me halfway through the trial, and i couldn't even talk about that with the people that i was seeing day-in and day-out.

i still can't even talk about a lot of what happened as canadian law tells us that we cannot share what occurred in the jury room. it was definitely one of the most bittersweet experiences in my life, but i'm glad i went through it all.
    pandora wrote:

...AND my girlfriend of 6 years broke up with me halfway through the trial, and i couldn't even talk about that with the people that i was seeing day-in and day-out.

i still can't even talk about a lot of what happened as canadian law tells us that we cannot share what occurred in the jury room. it was definitely one of the most bittersweet experiences in my life, but i'm glad i went through it all.
    Oh that's terrible, I can see it was a growing experience, all you went through. You are a much stronger person now but that must have been heartbreaking to go through day by day.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i was picked once, spent a day downtown, got into the court room in the alternat pool. wasn't needed, went back to work.

one girl in my office is currently on a grand jury and has to work one day a week for a quarter of the year. sucks big time for her since my company doesn't pay for jury duty
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pandora wrote:
    Oh that's terrible, I can see it was a growing experience, all you went through. You are a much stronger person now but that must have been heartbreaking to go through day by day.

yeah, thankfully my trusty ipod got me through the rough parts. but yeah, i could have gotten a much more difficult case to stomach. murder is one thing, but if it had involved a child or had been something gruesome my experience might not have been so enlightening.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    theyre not too keen on empanelling a breast feeding mother either.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    theyre not too keen on empanelling a breast feeding mother either.

there's an angle i can use. :lol:
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    I have been summoned for jury duty numerous times. I usually make it to the voire dire, and they boot me on something. One time it was a patent infringement case and my father is a research and development chemist with multiple patents, so I was out. Another time it was a burglary with sexual assault of a female clerk, the defense booted my ass out when they saw me rolling my eyes over their questions.
    Last I year I was chosen for federal jury duty, it was heroin trafficking. I ended up being the foreperson for the trail. It lasted a little over a week, but was very interesting. We convicted on 2 of 3 counts. He was definitely guilty of all 3, but they only proved 2. The superior court judge met with us after and answered all of our questions after the verdict. He was great and took our feedback and criticisms to the attorneys. He agreed that the prosecution dropped the ball on the third count. The funny thing was while I was serving as foreperson for federal jury duty, the state sent me a summons to appear in petit jury duty. Fortunately, I had a good "excuse"! :lol: