strasburg.. such a shame

2»

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    The Fixer wrote:

good point. RH's can't throw a screwball though. think about it. what RH pitcher has ever thrown a screwball? there aren't any

Juan Marichal threw a screwball and was right handed. It has nothing to do with handedness...it's just a hard-ass ball to throw, and it takes a HUGE toll on a guy's wrist and hand.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    mca47 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

good point. RH's can't throw a screwball though. think about it. what RH pitcher has ever thrown a screwball? there aren't any

Juan Marichal threw a screwball and was right handed. It has nothing to do with handedness...it's just a hard-ass ball to throw, and it takes a HUGE toll on a guy's wrist and hand.

I'm not gonna pretend to know what marichal threw. point is, not many (if any) RHers throw screwballs.

also, prior never had TJ surgery. the strasburg-prior comps are weak
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm not gonna pretend to know what marichal threw. point is, not many (if any) RHers throw screwballs.

also, prior never had TJ surgery. the strasburg-prior comps are weak

There have been more lefties in the history of the game to throw them, but that doesn't mean righties can't.
    Tug McGraw, who was a lefty, threw it all the time. Years after her retired from baseball he could barely shake a guy's hand because the damage it did to his own hand/wrist.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Was McGraw the fellow whose left arm looked inverted from throwing the screwball so much? As a kid, I remember seeing a picture/video of a guy whose arm was all fucked up because of that pitch. My dad told me it was because he was a screwball pitcher, and that freaked me out for a while....
  • mca47 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

screwball? strasburg doesn't throw anything close to a screwball. actually it's virtually impossible for a RH pitcher to throw a screwball

A heavy change (esp circle change) and even a inside sinker can have similar effects.

Anyways, Mr. Strasburg's days of hitting 100 are long gone. I know a couple have done Tommy John and maintained speed, but this guy is in trouble!

Agreed. I see "designated for assignment" and a job tending bar at the Wyndham in Scranton in his not-too-distant future.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
    Was McGraw the fellow whose left arm looked inverted from throwing the screwball so much? As a kid, I remember seeing a picture/video of a guy whose arm was all fucked up because of that pitch. My dad told me it was because he was a screwball pitcher, and that freaked me out for a while....

Yep, him and a couple others who've thrown them had their hands/wrists permanently "screwed" up from the screwball.