Switching from PC to Mac

Comments

• JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Oh shit! Brace yourselves Mac World, Jeagler's converting! :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jeanwah wrote:

:wave: hi evil eye. i tired out that politial section...it wasn't very scary.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    81 wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

:wave: hi evil eye. i tired out that politial section...it wasn't very scary.

Scary Eyeball should spend more time with us. Particularly on the party thread. We'll pull up a barstool and make room.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Was a PC kid forever until this January when I got a Macbook. It's fantastic!

And yes, Jeanwah is always welcome at the party. We've saved a seat for ya, unblinking and all seeing eye!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Aww...thanks guys!! I'll make sure I stop in here more often. :D

And yes, macs rock! Have used both macs and pcs for years and macs are just more user-friendly. ;)
  • Enkidu wrote:
    It was a breeze. It helps to have a Mac friend to talk you through stuff - and you realize how much easier Mac always was and how much Microsoft has borrowed from Apple.

Not perfect though, the hard drive on my MacBook crashed, but I'd backed everything up on an external hard drive.

i thought macbooks didn't have a port for those things?
    http://www.apple.com/macbook/features.html

As a PC user I don't think MAC's are any easier to use. The iphone however is the greatest thing since the interwebs.

I used to feel this way. I've been converted. It took exactly one day.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    should i get the apple protection plan for $250?

is it worth it?
    www.myspace.com
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

is it worth it?

depends how stupid you are.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

is it worth it?

depends how stupid you are.

thanks
    www.myspace.com
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I switched to Macs over a year ago. I got literally the worst mac model there is (mac mini) it only has 1 gig of ram and a 1.83ghz processor and yet its faster and loads better than any horrible PC I've had. Its not perfect though, the logic board went on it and it was unusable for months until I got it fixed. the best part was that I had no warranty left nor did I have apple care and they repaired it for free!. All I did was talk them down the price and they actually ended up messing something up so they felt bad and repaired it for free. Otherwise it would've been $370.

Thats another thing about Macs, their customer service is incredible. People act like they're so expensive but they forget about the quality and great customer service they have if something does go wrong. You get what you pay for. And anyway, Apple has been lowering their prices ever so slightly and bumping up the power on all of their models.

The only thing I could say about my Mac that sucks is the graphics card. Its unbelievably terrible. But I didnt buy it to play video games, thats what my PS3 is for. So I really dont care.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I use both. Mac for leisure. PC for work.

I like the way Mac's OS looks. That's about it.
    I switched to Macs over a year ago. I got literally the worst mac model there is (mac mini) it only has 1 gig of ram and a 1.83ghz processor and yet its faster and loads better than any horrible PC I've had. Its not perfect though, the logic board went on it and it was unusable for months until I got it fixed. the best part was that I had no warranty left nor did I have apple care and they repaired it for free!. All I did was talk them down the price and they actually ended up messing something up so they felt bad and repaired it for free. Otherwise it would've been $370.

Thats another thing about Macs, their customer service is incredible. People act like they're so expensive but they forget about the quality and great customer service they have if something does go wrong. You get what you pay for. And anyway, Apple has been lowering their prices ever so slightly and bumping up the power on all of their models.

The only thing I could say about my Mac that sucks is the graphics card. Its unbelievably terrible. But I didnt buy it to play video games, thats what my PS3 is for. So I really dont care.
    Mac mini's have gotten a lot better. I got mine a few months back. It came with 4 gigs of RAM. 2.53 GHz Core Duo.. It's faster than I really need.

I think with PCs, the problem is all the third party software running. If you disable, uninstall, configure, there's no reason it should run slower than a Mac.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I bought a mac about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Once you go mac, you dont go back.

iphoto is amazing
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    appreciate all the feedback...your jeagler is officially a mac. i should hopefully be able to pick it up this evening.

best part about it was it cost about $100 less than i anticipated and i got the iworks (which i was not going to get initially)
    god bless the teacher's discount that i got courtesy of the fiance ;)

cant wait to play around with it tonight. i actually dreamt about it last night :lol::mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    appreciate all the feedback...your jeagler is officially a mac. i should hopefully be able to pick it up this evening.

best part about it was it cost about $100 less than i anticipated and i got the iworks (which i was not going to get initially)

cant wait to play around with it tonight. i actually dreamt about it last night :lol::mrgreen:

Went Mac 7 years a go, on my second one and never a moments trouble, my sister has my first one and it is still running perfectly. Good luck. Which model did you get?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    We used Macs in my High School, and I didn't like them. They froze a lot, they were noisy, and the lack of a second mouse button was annoying. Instead of being able to do something on the fly by right clicking, you have to use keyboard shortcuts, and without the ability to right click, there wound up being a lot of those. I've also never had a problem with viruses that I haven't been able to easily fix myself, so I really don't need to be coddled by a Mac. I enjoy being able to game on my PC, too - unlike a console, I can mod the games, get free DLC, etc.

Besides that, I can't stand the Mac hipsters. You're not cool because you have an over-advertised product - you're a douche. Don't preach to me about your Mac, because if I wanted one I'd have one.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    We used Macs in my High School, and I didn't like them. They froze a lot, they were noisy, and the lack of a second mouse button was annoying. Instead of being able to do something on the fly by right clicking, you have to use keyboard shortcuts, and without the ability to right click, there wound up being a lot of those. I've also never had a problem with viruses that I haven't been able to easily fix myself, so I really don't need to be coddled by a Mac. I enjoy being able to game on my PC, too - unlike a console, I can mod the games, get free DLC, etc.

Besides that, I can't stand the Mac hipsters. You're not cool because you have an over-advertised product - you're a douche. Don't preach to me about your Mac, because if I wanted one I'd have one.

Mice are interchangeable; don't like the mouse that comes with the imac (I don't)? Buy a mouse of your choosing.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I've had my mac for almost 2 years. I need a PC for a specific piece of work related software, so I also have a netbook. I love my mac, AND my iphone, which is named 'my precious'.

I think everyone will enjoy this cartoon from The Oatmeal, on what its like to own an Apple product:
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Back_Pedal wrote:

Macs have right click now. I'm not sure how long ago high school was for you, but most Macs are pretty damn quiet, more so than most PC models.
    Back_Pedal wrote:

i'm so much cooler than you it's not even funny.
    www.myspace.com
    lukin2006 wrote:

Went Mac 7 years a go, on my second one and never a moments trouble, my sister has my first one and it is still running perfectly. Good luck. Which model did you get?

went with the macbook. been toying around with it for a while now tonight. love it.

do you use their Safari web brower? i like firefox better. just downloaded it. i like having my bookmarks on the left hand side
    www.myspace.com
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    lukin2006 wrote:

went with the macbook. been toying around with it for a while now tonight. love it.

do you use their Safari web brower? i like firefox better. just downloaded it. i like having my bookmarks on the left hand side
    I prefer firefox too.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Why do PC lovers always throw the hipster card?
    It seems to me they always end up looking like a douche attacking anyone who has a mac as a "hipster"
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:
    Why do PC lovers always throw the hipster card?
    It seems to me they always end up looking like a douche attacking anyone who has a mac as a "hipster"

:lol:
    ive had a lot of fun telling my fiance how much cooler than her i am because of this

i'm a hipster doofus.
    www.myspace.com
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Back_Pedal wrote:

Mice are interchangeable; don't like the mouse that comes with the imac (I don't)? Buy a mouse of your choosing.

You can program the Mac mouse to right-click. Its in the settings. You just click with your index finger once then your middle finger. That's a right-click.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    lukin2006 wrote:

Still playing around with my iMac and getting all the settings just right.

I don't like Safari. I used Google Chrome. Safari sometimes has trouble logging into protected sites like bank accounts for some reason.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i take it you're a pc?

LOSER! :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I've been on the Mac / PC fence for several years. I think the updated 27" iMacs are a reasonable deal, although Apple's arrogance prevents them from making the perfect machine . . . sorta the way EA approaches the Madden series.

I'm a gamer and run lots of Window based programs, so if I get a iMac I will have to run boot camp, buy Microsoft operating system, and partition my hard drive. Still, I have friends with older iMacs and they seem to love them.

The 27" with Intel core i7 chip and 8 gb ram is $2400 + $200 for windows. So I guess I have to figure out if I can get a Window based system that offers a 27" monitor and comparable specs for cheaper.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I've used a MAC as my primary work computer for almost 3 years with a second Windows PC on my desk as well. I also have been an iPhone user for several years (just switched to Android).

I am a notorious Windows hater, but in the time I've worked with the MAC I've decided that I actually dislike it even more than Windows. The file management aspects of MACs are atrocious. The only thing that is a clear advantage is not having to worry about viruses.

I use a Linux computer at home, but I would buy a PC long before I'd ever consider buying a MAC at this point.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.