Any other teachers...

rafierafie Posts: 2,160
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I am a junior high school teacher (starting my second year) and after a wonderful 2 month summer vacation I had my first official work meeting today :cry: Starting Thursday I have work stuff every day and school starts next Wednesday (Sept. first). Any other teachers going through the "first day of school blues"?
Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• swany24swany24 Posts: 52
    I will be starting my 15th year of teaching in a week, as we go back August 30. I'm trying not to think about it, but once I step foot in the building I'll be fine. The sooner we go back, the sooner we're done. Plus, the start of school signals the start of football season which makes going back much more tolerable.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    love you teachers.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    me as well...got through my first week already....there are so many little things at the beginning of the year it gives me a panic attack, but soon i'll be in a flow.....i cannot complain..i have a great job in a great district and more time off than anyone i know.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i start tomorrow :(

2 days of terrible meetings then i meet the CHILDREN :x

it wouldnt be so bad if i didnt suck so much at remembering names

good luck fellow educators!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    September is full of Jewish holidays, so I am off for around half the month. An easy start.
    i start tomorrow :(

2 days of terrible meetings then i meet the CHILDREN :x

it wouldnt be so bad if i didnt suck so much at remembering names

good luck fellow educators!

I'm good with names. Last year I had over 500 students and by the end of the year I knew about 90% of the names. Let's see if I still remember them in the beginning of September :lol:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    im a teacher...must be over 18 years old and only women the students.. 8-):lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Our classes start tomorrow morning bright and early. :?
    I hope I can get up at 6am and not look too tired! :shock:
    8-)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    I go back the 7th, but we really don't get the kids in the classroom until the 1/13. I miss it.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Im studying to be a teacher, does that count?

been back at uni for 4 weeks this semester, ready for end of year break
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Im studying to be a teacher, does that count?

been back at uni for 4 weeks this semester, ready for end of year break
    :lol:

Can't really complain considering the amount of time off we get, but still get the blues after such a long vacation, especially since my son was born 2 days into the vacation.

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    after 6+ hours of the most condescending meetings and activities (just cause you're a teacher doesn't mean you need to do the flickering lights and countdown to get us quiet) i ended up in a science classroom that had a few PJ posters up :D

really brightened an otherwise terrible day

if you teach science in clarendon hills, IL... ROCK ON
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I really admire teachers and what they do though I have 2 questions:

Why do teachers instantly 'remember' specific students?

and

Why are some teachers so mean? Not just to certain students, but the ones that seem to like giving out detention like candy, yelling and screaming and carrying on for almost no reason?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Starting year number lucky 13! Tomorrow is day 10.

I think some people just like to be in charge of something and that is the only way they know how to express their authority. IDK why they are so mean and nasty, I have wondered the same thing. We have some of those at our school. The even more amazing thing is is that some students still like them. It makes me wonder if they can relate because it is how they get treated at home? Some kids have really sad home lives.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Shit, I just finished teaching summer school and prepping students for various state regents exams....definitely looking forward to a break and recharge...nyc public school students report on the 8th of September...good luck to all..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I taught Floral Design & Flower Shop Management/Greenhouse Procedures and Horticulture in a previous life ;)
    I am a homeroom teacher for the first time this year and I met the kids today for the first time. 36 seventh grade students, some of which I would gladly send back to the sixth grade to grow up some more (mentally) :lol:

I have seventy-five theory students and thirty-five piano students this semester. I'm busily learning their names this week. I want to know them all well by this Friday.(!) :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    I have seventy-five theory students and thirty-five piano students this semester. I'm busily learning their names this week. I want to know them all well by this Friday.(!) :D
    Last year I thought 13 different classes with a total of over 500 students. I am good with names, but by the end of the year there were still around 50 that I did not absorb.
    This year I teach 9 classes and should have a total of around 350 students (around 75 of them I thought last year too).

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I think educators are very under-appreciated.

Good luck to you all, and know that a lot of us still don't overlook your importance. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    rafie wrote:
    justam wrote:
    Last year I thought 13 different classes with a total of over 500 students. I am good with names, but by the end of the year there were still around 50 that I did not absorb.
    This year I teach 9 classes and should have a total of around 350 students (around 75 of them I thought last year too).

Good luck.
    Do you use photo rosters? I find those help me somewhat because I can study them.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    rafie wrote:
    justam wrote:

Good luck.
    Do you use photo rosters? I find those help me somewhat because I can study them.
    Nope. I just have a really good memory.

You really kinda pooped on this thread because this video presents such a negative view of teachers. :shock:

Good teachers aren't like the self-righteous jerk in this video. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:

You really kinda pooped on this thread because this video presents such a negative view of teachers. :shock:

I liked it.

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    rafie wrote:
    justam wrote:

I liked it.

Did you listen to the video? It portrays a VERY positive view of teachers. Sometimes an educator is the ONLY form of discipline a child receives. I received this from my friend, a chemistry teacher.
  • AELARAAELARA Posts: 803
    One more teacher here! :) I've already started some private lessons but I won't have a full schedule until next week. Schools start on Monday (13th/Sep) here.. I kinda got used to relaxing during summer holidays and it will be tough to get used to my new working routine.. But doing absolutely nothing for a long time can be even more tiring sometimes... Isn't it a bit strange...?
    I am mine!
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Just went back to work today! The worst part about being a teacher is getting back into the routine after so much time off! But, really, I can't think of anything else I would rather do..unless it was see a PJ concert everyday! ;)

Did you listen to the video? It portrays a VERY positive view of teachers. Sometimes an educator is the ONLY form of discipline a child receives. I received this from my friend, a chemistry teacher.

I shut it off after the guy was smugly bragging that he called parents at dinner, blah, blah, blah. It just seemed like he was taking joy in being nasty to me. Maybe it was the tone of his voice but, ugh. Being a teacher is not an excuse to treat people badly. :wtf:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    justam wrote:

I shut it off after the guy was smugly bragging that he called parents at dinner, blah, blah, blah. It just seemed like he was taking joy in being nasty to me. Maybe it was the tone of his voice but, ugh. Being a teacher is not an excuse to treat people badly. :wtf:

You shut it off right before it got good! The poem went on to have a nicer message... about the difference we make...and we do make a difference! Try just watching without the volume...just read it...It is an important message to remember...because we should endeavor to make our difference in a positve and respectful manner! I work with the "troubled" kids and the parents who cringe when the teacher approaches, so I was skeptical on the first listen...but really it wasn't all bad... ;)
    guitar59 wrote:
    justam wrote:

You shut it off right before it got good! The poem went on to have a nicer message... about the difference we make...and we do make a difference! Try just watching without the volume...just read it...It is an important message to remember...because we should endeavor to make our difference in a positve and respectful manner! I work with the "troubled" kids and the parents who cringe when the teacher approaches, so I was skeptical on the first listen...but really it wasn't all bad... ;)

Ok. I'll try it without the sound. :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&