How fake is too fake?

13»

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    lettinggo wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    I have the opposite situation. There is a person who does not care about their appearance that I see daily.
    This is the extreme opposite of the person that the OP has seen. This person won't lose weight and they justify it by constantly telling me how healthy they are despite weighing 300 lbs (sadly.) I'm guessing at their weight.
    But I am so grossed out by that and the fact that this person will not go to the eye doctor for their crusty, red sty on their eye which has been there over a month. Another person is scared being in the same room with this person as they said they look so unhealthy like they are going to keel over in front of us any second. How hard is it to go to the eye doctor? This person makes a great salary...I've wondered if it is pink eye and we're going to catch it. Once they told me they did not have a comb for their hair for 1 week when they got out of the shower as their family took the combs with them when they went on vacation.

Also, I'm a little fake. I refuse to let my gray hair show and I color it every 3 weeks. I started going to a tanning salon again for only 8 minutes at a time as my vitamin D test came out low again. But I'll make sure I time it so my tan doesn't look too fake in case I run into anyone from this board :) I wear black mascara too which was questioned in another thread.

Wearing mascara and coloring your hair do not compare with going under and having yourself cut for vanity. Gray hair and short lashes are easily remedied. To have bigger, bigger, biggest boobs is a major operation.
    yeah obviously i dont think people are fake for colouring their hair or wearing make up (i quite enjoy experimenting with make up!) but i mean when everything is fake on you its a little weird... or at least that's my opinion.

i wonder if you took into account all the money with the plastic surgery industry and put it towards curing a disease whether that'd be possible or not...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    haffajappa wrote:
    yeah obviously i dont think people are fake for colouring their hair or wearing make up (i quite enjoy experimenting with make up!) but i mean when everything is fake on you its a little weird... or at least that's my opinion.

i wonder if you took into account all the money with the plastic surgery industry and put it towards curing a disease whether that'd be possible or not...

But why not? Why do we think some people are fake and others aren't? I used to think women who got manicures were fake, for instance, but now I get them now and then if I have an event to attend and want to look nice. Why is getting a boob job fake but wearing high heels isn't? One might argue that heels do more damage to women's bodies than fake boobs. Why is drawing on your eyebrows fake but shaving your legs isn't? I'm very curious about where people draw the line and why.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    scb wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

But why not? Why do we think some people are fake and others aren't? I used to think women who got manicures were fake, for instance, but now I get them now and then if I have an event to attend and want to look nice. Why is getting a boob job fake but wearing high heels isn't? One might argue that heels do more damage to women's bodies than fake boobs. Why is drawing on your eyebrows fake but shaving your legs isn't? I'm very curious about where people draw the line and why.

are you talking about manicures or acrylic nails? When people shave off their eyebrows they draw them back in, but when people shave their legs, they don't draw the hair back on their legs...to wear high heels, some women have toes surgically removed just so they can wear the super pointy toed ones...is that ok? Are implants better than 'cutlets' ? Would it be ok for me to get leg lengthing surgery just so I can be taller instead of wearing heels?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    scb wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

I guess i draw the line at inserting foreign objects inside your body intentionally. Botox, silicon, whatever...
    I mean I guess its all in the line of vanity, but for me there is a line.
    Like I said, to each their own, but in my opinion I find it weird.

And I find it a bit ridiculous when you can't do day to day activities like hold a pen.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    can we still set people on fire?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    chadwick wrote:
    can we still set people on fire?

Oh boy I sure hope so.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • In the movie "Singles" Janet Livermore decides she doesn't need to "look like an Amazon" (have breast implants)
    to attract Cliff Poncier.
    Hold On
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    In the movie "Singles" Janet Livermore decides she doesn't need to "look like an Amazon" (have breast implants)
    to attract Cliff Poncier.

I just got Poncier's username. Now, what's up with the scary bird avatar?

Back on topic: um, okay.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • My suggestion - Learn your boundaries. If you don't have any, create some.

My post is not aimed at the OP or anyone at all - I'm just dropping my thoughts and opinions. Also, be aware.. sometimes I am a bit windy in my posts :roll: . It's all with good intention though. Judge me if you want for being the annoying windy one... or accept that it is me and I'm a decent person regardless of how windy I am.

This is what I teach my kids:
    See the things that make you go "wow" and then say "it's just not for me" or don't say anything at all. Allowing it in your head is allowing for negativity in your personality. If you don't like green hair and a nose ring then don't get them. What belongs to others is typically not yours to judge. When you do... you are writing someone else's story which is their business to write. Why not just let people be whoever they are or whoever they want to be whether it is something you understand or agree with or not? Maybe the person is happy with who they are. Maybe the person isn't able to be who you want them to be - and why should they?

Whatever the reason is people do what they do, accept that it isn't for you, it isn't the choice you would make, or maybe accept that you don't know what choice you would make because you aren't in that person's situation. Bottom line is that whatever reaction you are having to whatever it is, it is obviously not the same opinion as the person you are judging OR they agree with you but they aren't able to change it OR they don't have the resources to change it OR etc... why does it matter?

Maybe I've been judged too many times in life.... but why not free yourself and your mind from these judgements and instead, focus that energy on other things? Take care of you. My mom used to try to make me feel better by saying - "while they are talking about you they are leaving someone else alone - you're taking one for the team...".

For the record - items/responses to things I've heard over time:
    1. I don't wear make-up. - If I do, my face breaks out
    2. I am thin/tall - No I'm not anorexic, Yes, I know what it is. I have a good metabolism
    3. My teeth aren't straight. - Yes I tried braces. To make them straight they have to break my jaw. Nope.
    4. I have nails that are naturally healthy/strong/and long - no, I don't eat special things or meditate or...
    5. My surgeries revolved around removing tissue that was dangerous - no one can accuse me of implants ;)
    6. My car has had duct tape covering a hole for 2 years.- Yes I know it should be fixed. Are you paying?
    7. Two years without central air conditioning (summer carries heat index of 110 for weeks). - Don't you think I'd fix it if I could? Go ahead and report me - or better yet, you can pay for the new unit..
    8. I don't have cable TV or a home phone - believe it or not... I'm not missing anything.
    ... anything else I should come clean on publicly? Should I be judged for these items? Go ahead. You aren't the first.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    go ask heidi montag how fake is to fake

:P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Have you ever seen the woman who had plastic surgery to make her self look like a cat??? :shock:

What's wrong with wanting to look like a cat? :|:lol:

Of course fashion questions..

We can add Comebackgirl to the group as well

Yes please! I want in on this group. :mrgreen:

And as for button down shirts...gal pal everything tape works great for keeping the gaps closed. I've even had shirts sewn up the center and then just slide them over my head so gaps aren't even an issue. Tailor everything!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

And as for button down shirts...gal pal everything tape works great for keeping the gaps closed. I've even had shirts sewn up the center and then just slide them over my head so gaps aren't even an issue. Tailor everything!

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/camilace_ontv.html

:ugeek:
  • Have you ever seen the woman who had plastic surgery to make her self look like a cat??? :shock:

Don't give away our secrets ;):lol:

I got braces this year...does that make me fake :? oh wait I don't actually give a fuck :lol:
    norm wrote:

another fashion tip from Norm! :lol:

Is it just me, or did it look better before the cami lace? :lol:

I got braces this year...does that make me fake :? oh wait I don't actually give a fuck :lol:
    I won't give away any that count :silent:

Yeah I had braces too...and dye my hair...and wear make up...and wear high heels...and shave my legs...but the boobs are all real :thumbup: :mrgreen: :wave: :lol:

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    metsfan wrote:

now heres a prime example. not that im into dumbarse blondes but heidi was a nice looking girl before she started getting work done. now she just looks plastic.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

another fashion tip from Norm! :lol:

Is it just me, or did it look better before the cami lace? :lol:

i know preferred thd before :P :mrgreen:
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Have you ever seen the woman who had plastic surgery to make her self look like a cat??? :shock:

my mean dentist discouraged me from getting braces when i was 31, he completely negated it and said i was too old. my mom was 40 when she got them. i'm sorry i listened to him.

speaking of implants: In 1989, a fatso that i dated asked me if i would get breast implants if he paid for them. I declined.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    justam wrote:
    The impression I often get when I see someone who has had a lot of surgery is that they must be very insecure or perhaps some man has made them feel unattractive in their natural state.

Especially when I see older women who obviously had their identity linked to being pretty, I assume that they are trying to hang on to some previous state and they're losing the battle.
    Same here... it actually makes me really sad for them :oops: . In some cases, it's their career and that's maybe a little cool that they know what they have to do and they do it... but in many cases, it becomes an addiction and I do wonder what makes them that way.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Hairy DaneHairy Dane Posts: 205
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Has "vaginal regeneration" made it north of the border (no pun intended) yet?

WHAT? Regeneration? Is that doable? And how ... no why and what? Regen ... the mental images - oh the horror.

Plastic surgery is like hotrodding a Citroën DS, you might think it's cool, but people who appriciates true beauty will either shake you real bad (or feel the urge to at least) or laugh at you. I know I would. And if you did that to the car I'd kick you real hard as well ... kick you good.

True beauty does not come in fake/cans/tubes or the TV-Shop, it comes from inside.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • metsfan wrote:

now heres a prime example. not that im into dumbarse blondes but heidi was a nice looking girl before she started getting work done. now she just looks plastic.

Montag was the Fireman in the book "Fahrenheit 451". He was a Fireman who did not put out fires but rather burned books because they were deemed dangerous by the leaders.
    Hold On
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    yeah I mean I know people who have had plastic surgery on their breasts to correct something that was hurting their self esteem like unevenness and stuff...but the over-the-top fake books baffle me...what good are they if they're so obviously fake?
  • My Mom has implants :oops:
  • metsfan wrote:

She was...and sadly she thinks she looks better. Even sadder I know who she is :oops: :lol:

I won't give away any that count :silent:

Yeah I had braces too...and dye my hair...and wear make up...and wear high heels...and shave my legs...but the boobs are all real :thumbup: :mrgreen: :wave: :lol:

Agreed!! I love colouring my hair though. I read in this book that it was a sign of self loathing to always change your hair colour :? I love myself....sometimes twice on Sundays :lol:
  • Heidi Montag.
    NERDS!