Clemens Indicted for Perjury - NOT GUILTY, ALL COUNTS

2»

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I'm naive. What exactly will his punishment be? Incarceration of some sort??
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Clemen's trial has started.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/07/06/clemens.day1/

This is the definition of pure irony ... facing prison time for lying to a room full of people that lied their asses off to get elected. :crazy:
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    pj 10th anniversary show in vegas was clemens piazza bat head night :lol:

yes remember that well. saw it at the bar at the MGM
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:

because there isn't a team from 1991 through 2003 or so that didn't cheat if you consider steroids cheating.

dude, it goes longer than that. the 04 gay sox team was loaded with cheaters (douchebag manny being the most obvious). their team employee, george mitchell, just didn't name all of them. that investigation was a joke.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    :roll:

WASHINGTON - The judge declared a mistrial in baseball star Roger Clemens' perjury trial over inadmissible evidence shown to jurors.

U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton said Clemens could not be assured a fair trial after prosecutors showed jurors evidence against his orders in the second day of testimony.

Walton scheduled a Sept. 2 hearing to determine whether to hold a new trial.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43740771/ ... aseball/&2
    You mean that menace to society known as Roger Clemens will be roaming our streets???!!! Oh the humanity! For the crimes he committed (making baseball fun to watch and lying to the lying convention), he should be canned in Times Square!

I have not felt this unsafe since The Black Widow, aka "Martha Stewart" was released from the pokey so she could once again start paying taxes.

At least Congress made an attempt, forsaking lesser topics such as the war in Iraq and the national debt, to pursue this monster.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    could the prosecution really be that stupid? ... find it hard to believe ...
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Jason P wrote:
    You mean that menace to society known as Roger Clemens will be roaming our streets???!!! Oh the humanity! For the crimes he committed (making baseball fun to watch and lying to the lying convention), he should be canned in Times Square!

I have not felt this unsafe since The Black Widow, aka "Martha Stewart" was released from the pokey so she could once again start paying taxes.

At least Congress made an attempt, forsaking lesser topics such as the war in Iraq and the national debt, to pursue this monster.

Yeah we should just let people skate by with lying to Congress.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    rrivers wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

When's Palmeiro's trial?
    rrivers wrote:

Why was Congress involved in the first place? That is the question that should be addressed.

The only reason congress went after this issue is because it was an easy way to avoid discussing more important issues, such as W.M.D.'s. Our country is running away in debt and they have spent all this time on steroid use in a game where people use a wooden stick to hit a ball???

Congress should not have been involved in this at all. Yet the American media and public don't really seem to be concerned that tax money and government resources are being used to perhaps lock up Clemens who, ironically, has been one of the government's best earners over his career.
    DewieCox wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

When's Palmeiro's trial?

I'm fine with them putting Palmiero on trial.
    Jason P wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Why was Congress involved in the first place? That is the question that should be addressed.

The only reason congress went after this issue is because it was an easy way to avoid discussing more important issues, such as W.M.D.'s. Our country is running away in debt and they have spent all this time on steroid use in a game where people use a wooden stick to hit a ball???

Congress should not have been involved in this at all. Yet the American media and public don't really seem to be concerned that tax money and government resources are being used to perhaps lock up Clemens who, ironically, has been one of the government's best earners over his career.

It's too late to address whether Congress should be involved. They are involved, Clemens lied, and he should pay for it.

You're obviously a Clemens apologist so what's the point of arguing. Clemens has been on the the government's best earners? WTF?
    rrivers wrote:
    It's too late to address whether Congress should be involved. They are involved, Clemens lied, and he should pay for it.

You're obviously a Clemens apologist so what's the point of arguing. Clemens has been on the the government's best earners? WTF?
    I'm not a Clemens apologist, although I do have fond memories of him, along with Fernando Valenzuela and Bert Blyleven, while playing R.B.I. Baseball on the NES. And I was just pointing out that with a total career earning of $150,000,000, the government was probably able to fund a small sliver of this investigation with what he paid in. The rest comes from people like you and me.

I just bugs me that a self-serving / promotional witch-hunt by Congress is still going on and being funded.
    Jason P wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

I'm not a Clemens apologist, although I do have fond memories of him, along with Fernando Valenzuela and Bert Blyleven, while playing R.B.I. Baseball on the NES. And I was just pointing out that with a total career earning of $150,000,000, the government was probably able to fund a small sliver of this investigation with what he paid in. The rest comes from people like you and me.

I just bugs me that a self-serving / promotional witch-hunt by Congress is still going on and being funded.

How can I argue with RBI baseball?!!!

I'm no fan of Clemens, but I loved watching him pitch. I have always respected how hard he worked and how he got the most out of his talent. I just would love to see these arrogant players (Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro), whose arrogance runs so deep that they continue lying when they are talking to Congressional investigators, get their comeuppance.

I agree there are better things to spend money on, but since the money has been and will continue to be spent, I would at least like to see Clemens get nailed.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    NOT GUILTY, ALL COUNTS
    norm wrote:
    NOT GUILTY, ALL COUNTS
    So he wasn't guilty of lying to the single greatest collection of known liars in the world?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    norm wrote:
    NOT GUILTY, ALL COUNTS

The HOF voting will be evn more interesting now. I believe he should be a HOFer but I'm sure the writers will play with him for at least a few years. :corn:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I'm glad the government is focusing on the important things. :fp:
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I'm glad the government is focusing on the important things. :fp:
    can't wait until the lance armstrong case. the government officials pushing this stuff should be fired.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    so clemens is not guilty and braun is on pace for 47 hrs post-steroid scandal...was there any less likely an outcome?
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    I almost hope Clemens goes after Waxman and congress for trying to drag his name through the mud with this stupid waste of time and money of a trial.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    I almost hope Clemens goes after Waxman and congress for trying to drag his name through the mud with this stupid waste of time and money of a trial.

Perjury is kind of a big deal. If they never try to convict people of perjury, the law loses its purpose.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Perjury is kind of a big deal. If they never try to convict people of perjury, the law loses its purpose.
    You're absolutly correct, perjury is a big deal. But congress getting involved with professional sports is a joke. They have much bigger problems to deal with than trying to go after professional ball players and wasting time and money in the whole process, when there are much bigger issues they should be dealing with.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

Don't dare him. He will. He's a bulldog and that's why I like him. :lol: