Clemens Indicted for Perjury - NOT GUILTY, ALL COUNTS

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Federal authorities have indicted Roger Clemens on charges of making false statements to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs, according to two people briefed on the matter.

The 19-page indictment charges Clemens with three counts of making false statements and two counts of perjury in connection with his February 2008 testimony before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

That testimony came in a public hearing in which Clemens and his former trainer Brian McNamee, testifying under oath, directly contradicted each other about whether Clemens had used the banned substances.

The committee held the hearing just two months after McNamee first tied Clemens to the use of the substances in George J. Mitchell’s report on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball. After Mitchell released the report, Clemens claimed McNamee made up the allegations.

Federal authorities had McNamee cooperate with them in 2008 to avoid charging him with steroid distribution. Clemens becomes the second baseball star from the past decade to be indicted for making false statements about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

In 2007, federal authorities in San Francisco indicted Barry Bonds, the career home run leader, on charges he perjured himself before a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative. Bonds, who has retired, is scheduled to go on trial next March.

Like Bonds, Clemens had an illustrious baseball career, like Bonds, his his entanglement with baseball’s drug issue had jeopardized his chances of going to the Hall of Fame. They are scheduled to appear together on the 2013 ballot.

Clemens last pitched in the major leagues in 2007. He sat out the first part of that season, returned to the Yankees with a dramatic announcement from George Steinbrenner’s box at Yankee Stadium and then, nagged by leg injuries, pitched inconsistently once he was back in uniform.

His final appearance, in a first-round playoff series that October which the Yankees ultimately lost to Cleveland, ended abruptly in the third inning of Game 3, when he exited with an aching hamstring. He was 45 years old and he never pitched in the major leagues again.

Just two months later, the Mitchell report was released, linking nearly 100 former and current players to the use of performance-enhancers. Among those named were Clemens and Andy Pettitte, Clemens’s good friend and his teammate on both the Yankees and Houston Astros.

Pettitte quickly reacted to the report with a statement that admitted he had used human growth hormone. Clemens, however, was defiant, adamantly denying that he McNamee had ever injected him with steroids or H.G.H., as the Mitchell report stated.

He repeated his denials on a “60 Minutes” broadcast and in a press conference in which he and his lawyer, Rusty Hardin, played a tape of a telephone conversation between McNamee and Clemens.

Ultimately, he took his denials to Congress, where he and McNamee disputed each other in a hearing before the House Government Reform Committee that broke down along partisan lines, the Republicans generally siding with Clemens and the Democrats with McNamee.

Nevertheless, the Democratic chairman of the committee, Henry Waxman of California, and the ranking Republican, Tom Davis of Virginia, then jointly signed a letter to the Justice Department, asking that Clemens be investigated for perjury because of his statements he made to the panel denying any use of performance-enhancers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/sport ... ref=sports
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Uh oh!

I bet he figured "Well, it's been two years now...I'm in the clear!"

:lol:
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Three Things

1. 2 and half years ago :shock:
    norm wrote:

Federal authorities had McNamee cooperate with federal authorities in 2008 .
    2. They need new editors at the Old Lady :roll: :lol:
    3. Couldn't happen to a nicer db :twisted:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BURN THAT JERK ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    piazza-clemens1_display_image.jpg?1274065712

HOW DO YOU MISS HIM?
    mets_clemens.jpg

4_61_021308_clemens_hand.jpg
    piazza-clemens1_display_image.jpg?1274065712

If you would angle about 30 degrees to the left, you would see me... He definitely threw at him...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/top-p ... dicted.php

BREAKING: Roger Clemens to be indicted
    Craig Calcaterra
    Aug. 19, 2010, 12:53 PM ET

File this under "man, I wish I ran this when I first heard it instead of waiting for confirmation." Michael S. Schmidt of the NYT is running it now. Here's what I had at the ready:

After a nineteen month investigation, an announcement is expected soon -- possibly as early as today -- that a federal grand jury is poised to indict Roger Clemens for lying under oath to Congress when he denied taking performance-enhancing drugs. The specific charges are not yet known, but they likely involve, at the very least, multiple counts of perjury.

The charges arise out of Clemens' February 13, 2008 hearing before a Congressional committee during which he swore under oath that he did not take performance-enhancing drugs and did not discuss performance-enhancing drugs with his former trainer Brian McNamee, Andy Pettitte and others.

Following Clemens' testimony, Congress asked the Department of Justice to investigate Clemens' statements, saying in a letter to the Attorney General "that significant questions have been raised about Mr. Clemens's truthfulness." Among those questions were, according to the Committee, "seven sets of assertions made by Mr. Clemens in his testimony that appear to be contradicted by other evidence before the committee or implausible." Specifically:

•Clemens' testimony that he had never taken performance-enhancing drugs;
    •His statement that McNamee injected him with the painkiller lidocaine;
    •His statement that team trainers gave him pain injections;
    •His statement that he received many vitamin B-12 injections;
    •His statement that he never discussed HGH with Brian McNamee;
    •His statement that he was not at then-teammate Jose Canseco's home during a party which took place in early June 1998; and
    •His statement that he was never told about George Mitchell's request to speak to him prior to the release of the Mitchell Report.
    In its referral to the DOJ, Congress also made reference to "additional evidence on these matters," which presumably meant needles, blood-stained gauze and other items McNamee turned over to federal prosecutors in January 2008, and which he claims were evidence of his injecting Clemens with PEDs.

All of these assertions, as well as the needle and gauze evidence, has been subject to scrutiny by the grand jury which convened in early 2009. DNA testing has been performed. Multiple witnesses including McNamee, Andy Pettitte and Jose Canseco have testified. It is suspected that many others have as well, including former major league pitcher Jason Grimsley, former gym owner Kelly Blair and former New York Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski.

And now, after months of collecting evidence, the grand jury is poised to issue an indictment. In lay terms: a formal accusation that a crime was committed. As I have wrote previously and will continue to note as the case proceeds towards trial, an accusation does not necessarily make a conviction likely, especially in a perjury case, especially in this perjury case. Many of Clemens' statements are exceedingly difficult to square with known facts and common sense. At the same time, many of the witnesses against Clemens already face credibility issues, Brian McNamee chief among them. Even if you believe, as I am inclined to, that Clemens was not truthful during his Congressional testimony, convicting him of perjury will be no easy feat.

But that is what trials are for and a trial in this case, if one ever occurs, will not take place for a very, very long time. In the meantime, Roger Clemens has a date with federal agents, a finger print ink pad and a mug shot photographer. Because he is about to be criminally charged
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • You're gonna fry for this Roger! Kiss Cooperstown goodbye! It's all over for you buddy!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    i'd have to agree,
    theyre gonna hang him and make him a scapegoat .

:o
    platessmall.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    when will these guys learn to not lie to the feds or under oath? the feds take this shit seriously. roger was always a punk-ass. next one to go down will be Lance Armstrong.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    they are all f'ing liars. totally making roger the scapgoat here. HOF, goodbye!

"i'm a thief, i'm a liar... there's my church i sing in the choir."
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i'd have to agree,

scapegoat? the man was a cheater and now lied under oath. no sympathy for him at all.
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    i'd have to agree,

:shock: Red Sox and Yankee fans agreeing on this?! Wow.

This HAS to be posted prominently in this here thread:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdtn0Z4o8cM&feature=search
    OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS, OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS, OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS IVE EVER SEEN, ROGER CLEMENS STANDING RIGHT IN GEORGE STEINBRENNERS BOX ANNOUNCING HE IS BACK! ROGER CLEMENS IS A NEW YORK YANKEE!
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i'd have to agree,

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS, OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS, OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS IVE EVER SEEN, ROGER CLEMENS STANDING RIGHT IN GEORGE STEINBRENNERS BOX ANNOUNCING HE IS BACK! ROGER CLEMENS IS A NEW YORK YANKEE!

In defense, it was for a very reasonable price. :lol::lol::lol:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i'd have to agree,

scapegoat? the man was a cheater and now lied under oath. no sympathy for him at all.
    So why doesn't baseball do like the NCAA and remove championships from teams that broke the rules?

2000 MLB Champion NY Mets - oooooh I like the sound of that :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

:lol::lol:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i'd have to agree,

So why doesn't baseball do like the NCAA and remove championships from teams that broke the rules?

because there isn't a team from 1991 through 2003 or so that didn't cheat if you consider steroids cheating.
  • Where's Cliffy? I gotta hear his take on all this.
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    This just in... Roger Clemens is under idictment for allegedly lying to a room full of proven compulsive liars. Taxpayers sadly foot the bill for this circus.
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    i'd have to agree,

Suzyn Waldman makes me want to shove sharp objects into my ears...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Suzyn Waldman makes me want to shove sharp objects into my ears...

Come on, He's not that bad.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i'd have to agree,

yeah like theyre going to make an example out of him,

not saying he was innocent ,..
    platessmall.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Where's Cliffy? I gotta hear his take on all this.

I am right here. Clemens is a dirtball, liked watching him pitch but is a gigantic scumbag. Not at all suprised about this, they have been after him for a while.

I don't think this is going to go anywhere though. I bet all we will get out of this is mug shot. That Craig Calcaterra article sounds about right and he has a background in this sort of thing.
    Here's the thing, how are they gona convict him? they got crap evidence and testimony form a greasy rat, a half way descent lawyer could get Clemens off, And he can afford a damn good Lawyer!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Here's the thing, how are they gona convict him? they got crap evidence and testimony form a greasy rat, a half way descent lawyer could get Clemens off, And he can afford a damn good Lawyer!

He's not getting convicted. This is just going to be a long, painful and annoying process. Just like with this guy

220px-Barry_bonds_mug_shot_1.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He's not getting convicted. This is just going to be a long, painful and annoying process. Just like with this guy

220px-Barry_bonds_mug_shot_1.jpg

Feds don't go for indictment's without plenty of evidence. he is either going to plead out or he will be convicted for sure. almost no one beats a Federal rap.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    Sad, (was a) Huge Roger Clemens fan here. Ever since he came up in '84. Had a ton of his baseball cards, i'm just disappointed in him. I think this sums up what he did, pretty accurately though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjtghitGOM
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    This is so spectacular. I hope he gets jail time but we all know that's a remote possibility. Nothing but a hired gun. No Sox fan should feel any shred of sadness over this. He deserves this.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Baseball great Roger Clemens pleaded not guilty Monday to a six-count indictment alleging he lied to Congress about his use of steroids during his distinguished career.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner entered the plea at his arraignment hearing in Washington, D.C., before U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton. If convicted on all charges, Clemens faces up to 30 years in prison and a $1.5-million fine. However, under U.S. sentencing guidelines, he likely would be ordered to serve 15-21 months in prison.

Clemens has been charged with three counts of making false statements, two counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of Congress.

The charges stem from Clemens' testimony before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in 2008. Clemens, who was mentioned multiple times in the Mitchell Report, told the committee he had "never taken steroids or HGH."

Clemens' testimony conflicted with that of his former trainer, Brian McNamee, who told the committee that the pitcher did use steroids in HGH, or human growth hormone. Former teammate Andy Pettitte also testified Clemens said he had used steroids.

Clemens turned down a plea deal offered by prosecutors prior to his indictment on Aug. 19.

The 48-year-old defended himself via Twitter after the indictment was handed down: "I look forward to challenging the Governments accusations, and hope people will keep an open mind until trial. I appreciate the support I have been getting. I am happy to finally have my day in court."

Considered one of the best pitchers of all time, Clemens retired in 2007 following a 24-year career in the major leagues. He finished with 354 wins (ninth all-time), 4,672 strikeouts (third) and a 3.12 career earned-run average.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_ ... ll-dr.html
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    we expect him to be honest now?? 8-)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    pj 10th anniversary show in vegas was clemens piazza bat head night :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......