Options

NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    KC138045 said:
    If they beat OSU I think they will certainly be in the mix.
    They are undefeated and outside of ESPN's PFI Top 10...and I didn't look beyond that but would have to think others rank the same way.  They played nobody thus far...so it depends on what the other teams do. 

Big 10 has some good teams this year but I don't think they are top to bottom the 2nd best.  Can figure out at the end of the season & after the bowl games when you see the conferences pair off and battle.  First, they have to change their name.  They are not the Big 10 and they haven't been the Big 10 for a while.
    They have 14 teams in the conference.  They certainly have some major traditional college big-boy teams, though, and always have good teams. 
    If they just could learn how to count?  :lol:

I see ESPN projects USC vs Wisconsin in the Fiesta Bowl.  I would like that....we were beaten by Los Badgers back in 2015 bowl game.  A chance for some revenge would be great!

Big 12 only has 10 teams and Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, and Illinois don't matter in the the Big 10 lol.
    You could argue that Northwestern, Iowa, and Purdue were all wastes as well.  That would put you at 7. 

Actually, 7 teams with some level of relevancy historically (even if some of it was 60s and beyond for a few of those teams) is not bad. 
    Conference has some great teams as well .... 4 are really in the top layer:  Huskers, Lions, Wolverines, and (of course) the Buckeyes. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    KC138045 said:
    If they beat OSU I think they will certainly be in the mix.
    They are undefeated and outside of ESPN's PFI Top 10...and I didn't look beyond that but would have to think others rank the same way.  They played nobody thus far...so it depends on what the other teams do. 

Big 10 has some good teams this year but I don't think they are top to bottom the 2nd best.  Can figure out at the end of the season & after the bowl games when you see the conferences pair off and battle.  First, they have to change their name.  They are not the Big 10 and they haven't been the Big 10 for a while.
    They have 14 teams in the conference.  They certainly have some major traditional college big-boy teams, though, and always have good teams. 
    If they just could learn how to count?  :lol:

I see ESPN projects USC vs Wisconsin in the Fiesta Bowl.  I would like that....we were beaten by Los Badgers back in 2015 bowl game.  A chance for some revenge would be great!

Big 12 only has 10 teams and Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, and Illinois don't matter in the the Big 10 lol.
    You could argue that Northwestern, Iowa, and Purdue were all wastes as well.  That would put you at 7. 

Actually, 7 teams with some level of relevancy historically (even if some of it was 60s and beyond for a few of those teams) is not bad. 
    Conference has some great teams as well .... 4 are really in the top layer:  Huskers, Lions, Wolverines, and (of course) the Buckeyes. 
    The same goes for just about every conference.  A few that are always at the top and the rest are maybe relevant once a decade.  And I agree the name should be changed from the Big 10.  Hasn't been 10 teams since PSU joined in '93.  At least then the logo had an 11 in it.

Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Agree on those points.
    A buddy called them the "Big 10-leven" for years.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,749
    ehbacon said:
    If Wisconsin wins the B1G championship they have to be top 4. There is no way you can deny a perfect record team that is champion of probably the second best conference in college football. 
    I'm not saying they won't be in it at the end if they win the Big 10 title game. In fact, I think they most certainly would be. I just don't know that one could have a strong feeling that they are a legitimate top 4 team based on their schedule. To date, the teams they have played with the best record are FAU and Northwestern (both at 5-3). The toughest remaining opponent for them is Michigan (6-2). 

What would you (all) think if it were down to:

Bama (as SEC champs),
    UGA (close loss to Bama in SEC title game), Clemson (ACC champs),
    Notre Dame with their 1 loss and
    an undefeated Wisconsin team as the final 5

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Lots if debate if that is the case
      I would guess big 10teen champs are left out but I might be wrong.  One good victory should never beat a number of good victories.
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Notre Dame isn’t a conference champion and plays nothing but mid level teams anyways.  They shouldn’t get a look until they join a conference.  Really, is NC St a quality win?
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    Notre Dame isn’t a conference champion and plays nothing but mid level teams anyways.  They shouldn’t get a look until they join a conference.  Really, is NC St a quality win?
    So by your logic with the scenario I put out there, UGA would also be out of the CFP? I'm thinking your response is really just out of your disdain for ND???

Additionally, I would argue that the Irish win over NC State is more of a quality win, than the Ohio State loss to Oklahoma is a quality loss.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    If ND makes it through their schedule with 1 loss, I am sure they will either get in or have very strong consideration and a case for whining to sit out.
    (And I hate Notre Dame!  Just keeping it real.) 
  • Options
    I know you and I are on the same page with a lot of college football (with exception to the terrible horrible SC program).  =)

I appreciate a discussion with someone who can step out and look at things objectively. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    I’m as objective as the day is long! :smiley:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Hahaha.  Wobbie, you like half of the teams so you always have a dog in the fight.

It pains me to be objective about how mediocre USC has been.  Last year I was one of the people saying they should not be considered for the playoffs.  (Even though they were playing damn well and that Rose Bowl was a classic)
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    I only have three teams....OSU (grew up in Columbus), Ohio U (alma mater) and Utah (I live here, now). it is highly unlikely any of the three will ever meet in a big game.

hated teams? the list is long.....very long.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    So by your logic with the scenario I put out there, UGA would also be out of the CFP? I'm thinking your response is really just out of your disdain for ND???

Additionally, I would argue that the Irish win over NC State is more of a quality win, than the Ohio State loss to Oklahoma is a quality loss.
    Come on now.  Georgia is in because ESPN loves them some SEC football!  Do you really think Georgia has played a tough schedule?  You won’t really know who Georgia is until they play Alabama.  

If you switched OSU and UGA everyone would be up in arms saying OSU hasn’t played anyone.

As far as OSU, teams change over a season.  Look at 2014 OSU.  Clemson lost to Pitt last year and won it all.  I think if OSU played Oklahoma now they’d roll them.  I’d rather win the B1G and be ranked top 4 after that than be a paper champ now.  There’s lots of football left to play.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    If D-1 football did what every other sport at every other level in college does and had a real playoff system, then this constant debate over who these stupid committees pick for this "playoff" would just go away.  I love college football, but the fact that the 4 teams who compete for the national championship is chosen by a committee is one of the most ridiculous things in all of sports (and I think it might be the most ridiculous thing now that the all star game doesn't decide homefield advantage in the world series anymore).  Why they didn't make this playoff system 8 teams with the power 5 conf champions getting in automatically with 3 at-large spots is a mystery.  More playoff games equals more money...not having as many playoff games as possible seems to go against everything college football is all about.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I like that better, but if it changed to 8 then people would want to change it to 10, then 12, and on-and-on. 
    Part of the fun is the buildup and most years the best team really isn't left out.  I do think there should be a premium on not losing during regular season OR scheduling tough out of conference games and accounting that with a loss. (Lose 2x and you are out, imo) The flip side of that is looking beyond teams that don't schedule tough teams.  Any team that has a team not from the top division on schedule should be automatically dq'd from contention. 

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185
    Wobbie said:
    I only have three teams....OSU (grew up in Columbus), Ohio U (alma mater) and Utah (I live here, now). it is highly unlikely any of the three will ever meet in a big game.

hated teams? the list is long.....very long.

Dude, can't believe you forgot your alltime fav-   the CRIMSON TIDE!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Notre Dame shold join a conference full time or GTFO.  Never seen a school get such special treatment in football as those fucks do.
  • Options
    Notre Dame shold join a conference full time or GTFO.  Never seen a school get such special treatment in football as those fucks do.
    They would have to share the NBC money.  Not.  Gonna.  Happen!

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Unfortunately.  Hence my second sentence.
  • Options

Unfortunately.  Hence my second sentence.
    :lol:

• Options
    I assume they eventually will have to. But in the meantime, I hope they enjoy all that money they get by being Independent. They are after all, a business. Perhaps you'd be less bitter if FSU or SC had followed the business model and bece Independent themselves? Just because what they do is different, doesn't make it wrong. However, if you really do hate ND like most people, them being independent simply gets to add fuel to the competitive fire.

For example: I really dislike SC. No, I was never smart, religious or rich enough to attend Note Dame, but I love the rivalry between ND and SC. I don't need any other reason to hate the Trojans. But then they added a guy named Pete Carroll. Somehow, that intensified the hatred for that team and freshened up that rivalry. 

College football us so much more fun than the NFL. Fighting Irish #3 tonight!
  • Options
    'The Pete' was a great coach and a great person.  Lost in the idiots paying that dumbass father of Reggie Bush were a lot of amazing things that Pete did for a lot of people in LA.  Not a good person, a great person. 

I get why people hate USC -- that is what you get when you are one of the best.  Same reason people hate Bama, OSU, ND, Miami, and the others.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Absolutely ridiculous to have a perfect record team in the big 10 to be ranked 9. Not our fault that we got one of the worst schedules in college football last year and then got an easy one this year. Our defense has been lights out and our offense has been good enough. We're not going to blow people out, that's not our game. We're going to have low scoring games where the final score is two or three possession win but is not even close.

total bullshit.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    Completely deserved for Wisconsin. See my previous post come ting as to why they are a's low as they are. 

Just have to reference ND in 2012.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for you as a fan, but you can't expect rewards for garbage schedule.  Your school picks the schedule for out if conference, so it is the school's problem.
  • Options
    You know who is also pissed about Wisconsin having that schedule?  Ohio State and Penn State.  Beating Wisconsin in the big ten title game may not move their meter enough to crack the top four if everyone else keeps chugging along 
  • Options
    F Me, we couldn't agree more with one another. Are you sure you're not a closet Irish fan?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I love Joe Montana but dislike everything else Notre Dame.  ;)
    I am 1/4 Irish, though.  And....was raised strictly R.C.
  • Options
    So, an in denial closet fan?

It's okay, I like having intelligent discussions about college football in general with fans of my rival teams. 
  • Options
    Neveeeerrrr!
    ;)