Veg recipes needed

2»

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Just seen this thread. We've had an abundance of courgettes from the allotment and someone gave us a recipe for courgette soup, I can remember it exactly but it goes something like this;

1lb 1/2 courgettes
    1 small onion
    1 pint of stock
    1/4 pint of milk
    Large knob of butter
    Creme fraiche
    Salt & pepper

Chop up the courgettes and onion, put in a pan with the butter. Fry until soft. Add the stock and milk. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in half a tub of creme fraiche. Then blend (I use one of those hand blender thingys) until smooth.

I wasn't sure if I'd like it but it's really nice. :D
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Helen I use the bbc website as you can search recipes by ingredient http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Claireack wrote:
    Just seen this thread. We've had an abundance of courgettes from the allotment and someone gave us a recipe for courgette soup, I can remember it exactly but it goes something like this;

1lb 1/2 courgettes
    1 small onion
    1 pint of stock
    1/4 pint of milk
    Large knob of butter
    Creme fraiche
    Salt & pepper

Chop up the courgettes and onion, put in a pan with the butter. Fry until soft. Add the stock and milk. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in half a tub of creme fraiche. Then blend (I use one of those hand blender thingys) until smooth.

I wasn't sure if I'd like it but it's really nice. :D
    ooohh... that sounds good... really really need to get a blender... specially since it's coming into the autumn and I love love love soup :D

Thanks Pippa, I've used that one before and definitely find it good... it's just the recipes usually have a load of other stuff that I DON'T have.

The website where I got the veggie stuff actually has loadsa recipes itself.

http://www.riverford.co.uk/wash/eat/
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    really really need to get a blender

Helen - I just use one of those hand blender things, a lot cheaper than buying a big one.
    Claireack wrote:

Helen - I just use one of those hand blender things, a lot cheaper than buying a big one.
    and probably about all I can afford right now... there's not much difference either is there? And it means you don't have the big blades IN the jug to wash afterwards :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Claireack wrote:

and probably about all I can afford right now... there's not much difference either is there? And it means you don't have the big blades IN the jug to wash afterwards :D

Too right!! The fancy blender could go on the wedding list :D
    Claireack wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Too right!! The fancy blender could go on the wedding list :D
    :mrgreen: or not!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    I've ordered another veg box for this week :D and a fruit box this time too... can't believe how fresh everything was the last time. If I buy grapes in the supermarket, they're gone off by lunch :evil: but I finished these almost a week after the delivery and still 100% fresh. Still have a courgette left... and I've discovered that I LOVE courgettes. A lot of the stuff went to waste I'm afraid :oops: but there is more useful stuff in this weeks box like potatoes, onions and tomatoes so I'll try and plan it a bit better. There's also french beans, more courgettes :D leeks, basil, salad pack and sweetcorn. There's gonna be some yummy salads anyway :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Beets are so awesome roasted. Just toss them (and onions, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers) with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and roast in oven for 1/2 to 1 hour - everything turns sweet.

Yes it is amazing how long items straight from the garden lasts - you realize how dead everything is that you buy from the supermarket. Cucumbers that we pick from our garden will last 2-3 weeks.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Mmmm, love me some soup. This one can be eaten warm or cold (I prefer it cold).

Btw, Helen, you definitely need to get yourself a blender (hand or counter). I checked online, you can get a number of different types of blenders for under £15; i.e. http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.st ... q=blenders

Classic Vichyssoise (a.k.a. Potato and Leek Soup)

Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon butter
    * 3 leeks, bulb only, sliced into rings
    * 1 onion, sliced
    * 5 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 5 cups chicken broth
    * 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

1. In a large stock pot melt butter over low heat. Add leeks and onion, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
    2. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add thyme, marjoram, bay leaf and stir well. Cover pot and continue to cook for 12 minutes.
    3. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, partially covered for 30 minutes.
    4. Puree soup in blender or food processor and cool.
    5. Prior to serving add cream. If you are serving this soup warm you need to reheat the soup slowly so that the cream does not change consistency.

Fried Cabbage Recipe

½ pound bacon
    1 large head cabbage
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp black pepper
    1 clove garlic
    ½ tsp red pepper flakes

Fry the bacon until crispy in large frying pan. Pour off most of the grease. Break the bacon into pieces. Chop the cabbage into pieces removing the hard center. Add the cabbage to the pan containing the bacon. Add the seasoning and 1/3 cup of water.

Cook covered over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir then continue cooking until desired tenderness.

Note: You preserve more vitamins and mineral if you cook the cabbage less.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Beets are so awesome roasted. Just toss them (and onions, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers) with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and roast in oven for 1/2 to 1 hour - everything turns sweet.

Yes it is amazing how long items straight from the garden lasts - you realize how dead everything is that you buy from the supermarket. Cucumbers that we pick from our garden will last 2-3 weeks.
    do you toss them from raw... or boil them first?

Thanks fifth... almost can't wait for winter... for the soups :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life