Options

Question about Black

2»

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    Alright, so I was listening to 106.5 the end out of Charlotte,NC today when the DJ said, "coming up next is a song by Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder personally called radio stations and asked them not to play this song." He went on to explain that because this song had so much personal meaning behind it, that Ed did not want it played. My first thought was, well then why are you playing it you tool. Shortly after Black began to play. Has anyone ever heard of this before or know if its true? I found it interesting. Incite??

not true.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    cent208 wrote:
    I met ed after a solo show in upper darby, pa last year. I asked him if black was based on real relationship or fictional. someone taped the coverasation and put it on youtube. the link is below. my question comes in at 2 minutes. if anybody wants a transcript of conversation let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAhS5VfFnw

that is so awesomely cool!
    i just love how ed takes the time to talk to all of us.
    he is just so freakin wonderful. someone really got his heart there at the end...hugs and all.

he is so sincere in his feelings...and what a treat that must have been for you :)

but man...when you asked about black..wow! the look on his face said "don't go there man"

ya guys i'm pretty sure black was written before pj was even officially pj right? so it sure couldn't have been about the girl from 7yr..man that band had a hard time didn't they? wow...so many of those early seattle bands went through so much loss. its a sad sad story, but i seriously doubt black could have fit that time frame.

the video is priceless dude!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:
    "This is the saddest song I know...all that's left is the pain"

"Its personal, a relationship thing...I don't think I can ever explain what its all about"

"...hope none of you can relate"

he often tags black with "we belong together" which makes the whole thing just so much sadder

I do know he doesn't like other people to sing it...that's quite telling

I have written of this several times, but I'm happy to discuss it again: Other fans often insist that the song is about the breakup of a man and a woman, but the lyrics just don't fit. I clearly see Black as a heartbroken, tormented Lovesong to the aborted foetus from Vedder's teenage years.

"Empty canvas" and "Untouched clay" are metaphors for the potential of life that did not happen. The narrator "cradles" broken glass. Not holds, not caresses, but cradles.

He sings, "I'm surrounded by some kids at play. I can feel their laughter, so why do I sear?" Again, he is specifically referencing children- not happy loving couples, not the laughter of women, etc.

And the final line is a wish for reincarnation. "I know some day you'll have a beautiful life. I know/hope you will be a star/sun in somebody else's sky. But why can't it be mine? We belong together."
    The narrator is insisting that the hypothetical child WILL have a life. He can't admit otherwise. "Star" and "Sun" (depending on the version of the song) are celestial and heavenly, like Western myths of afterlife.

I think that the "She" character in the song is the ex-girlfriend. But Black is in no way a simple breakup song. I hear a man whose heart, mind, and soul were shattered.

---Edit: Oops, I forgot the "Five Horizons" bit. The first or second post I ever made on this forum was in the several-years-long thread about Five Horizons in the lyrics section. "Five horizons revolved around the soul" could mean a pregnancy of five weeks or months.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options
    From what I understand, Black was written about Stefanie Sargent who was a guitarist in Seven Year Bitch. She died after suffocating on her own vomit from drinking and taking heroin. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this or if she was Ed's girlfriend at the time or whatnot. Ed doesn't talk about it for obvious reasons whatever they are. The song speaks volumes of the pain he went through.

I thought Ed was with Beth at that time, but I'm not an expert on his personal life so I don't know. "She died after suffocating on her own vomit from drinking and taking heroin." ~Just one of the many reasons to abstain from that. Ed did seem to struggle a lot with the fame and privacy issue a lot back then, but to personally call a radio station sounds a little extreme to me, that's just my two cents.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    i always assumed it was about his highschool gf... the one they talk about in that godawful 5 against 1 book.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,597
    Some great lyrics from Black
    "And now my bitter hands,shake beneath the clouds, of what was everything " Great imagery of him crying, his eyes the clouds..his hands shaking beneath his face.

"Oh, I'm spinning ..How quick the sun can, drop away... " What happens when the sun drops away or sets..it turns Black.

"All the love gone bad, turned my world to black" "And now my bitter hands
    Cradle broken glass Of what was everything All the pictures had All been washed in black" The theme of blackness..permiates throught the song as well.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    "And now my bitter hands,shake beneath the clouds, of what was everything " Great imagery of him crying, his eyes the clouds..his hands shaking beneath his face.

"Oh, I'm spinning ..How quick the sun can, drop away... " What happens when the sun drops away or sets..it turns Black.

Cradle broken glass Of what was everything All the pictures had All been washed in black" The theme of blackness..permiates throught the song as well.

Agreed. This song has some of the most beautiful lyrics ever written (not just of Pearl Jam songs, but any song). You can feel the pain in them, you know his (the person in the song) heart has been ripped out, so beautiful. It captures those feelings of hopelessness and despair that comes with loss.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    this whole thing is just soooo sad
    I wish I hadn't re-read any of it this morning
    What a tormented soul
    Suppose that's what it takes to
    Make truly beautiful music
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335

Amazing lyrics for sure! Black has always been one of my favorite songs.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    cent208cent208 Posts: 435
    here is the transcript from the youtube video and the link again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAhS5VfFnw

Me: Ed, quick question. Was Black based on a real relationship or was that kinda fictional?
    some girl: Oh don’t nag him right now.
    Ed: Yeah, no that's a good question, yeah it’s fictional. (rolls his eyes a little)
    Me: It wasn't a real relationship, you had.
    (Ed tilts his head slightly)
    Me: No
    (Ed kind of lifts his hand): It was
    Ed: You got it right from what you know. Sometimes you cover it up. See back then, we didn't, I didn't think anyone would ever hear that song. So I didn't think I would have to cover anything up.
    Me: So it's a fictional story.
    Ed: Oh, no, no, no.
    Me: So it's a real experience Ed.
    Ed: Oh Yeah. I think we've all had heartache???.

When he first said its fictional was clearly just sarcasm, him messing with me. I think what he meant by that he didn't "cover it up", was he did not try to hide his feelings or the meaning of the song. It was kind of funny when I asked him because everybody was just saying things like "i love you" and "you're great" and then I think I caught him off guard with a serious question. I tell his was very taken back. One the coolest most unforegetable moments of my life. I would appreciate any comments of their interpretation of his answer.
    "The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
  • Options
    didn't he say "you've got to write from what you know"?
  • Options
    doompony wrote:
    +1

watch The History of Pearl Jam videos

OR

Storytellers

ed says a lot in those

I have all 5 of the Hx vids on my fb page which you can get to by clicking on my badge at the bottom of this page....if you're interested and haven't seen...its worth watching
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    StillHere wrote:
    "This is the saddest song I know...all that's left is the pain"

"Its personal, a relationship thing...I don't think I can ever explain what its all about"

"...hope none of you can relate"

he often tags black with "we belong together" which makes the whole thing just so much sadder

I do know he doesn't like other people to sing it...that's quite telling

I have written of this several times, but I'm happy to discuss it again: Other fans often insist that the song is about the breakup of a man and a woman, but the lyrics just don't fit. I clearly see Black as a heartbroken, tormented Lovesong to the aborted foetus from Vedder's teenage years.

"Empty canvas" and "Untouched clay" are metaphors for the potential of life that did not happen. The narrator "cradles" broken glass. Not holds, not caresses, but cradles.

He sings, "I'm surrounded by some kids at play. I can feel their laughter, so why do I sear?" Again, he is specifically referencing children- not happy loving couples, not the laughter of women, etc.

And the final line is a wish for reincarnation. "I know some day you'll have a beautiful life. I know/hope you will be a star/sun in somebody else's sky. But why can't it be mine? We belong together."
    The narrator is insisting that the hypothetical child WILL have a life. He can't admit otherwise. "Star" and "Sun" (depending on the version of the song) are celestial and heavenly, like Western myths of afterlife.

I think that the "She" character in the song is the ex-girlfriend. But Black is in no way a simple breakup song. I hear a man whose heart, mind, and soul were shattered.

---Edit: Oops, I forgot the "Five Horizons" bit. The first or second post I ever made on this forum was in the several-years-long thread about Five Horizons in the lyrics section. "Five horizons revolved around the soul" could mean a pregnancy of five weeks or months.

i always took the "star in someone elses sky" as in star, like a superstar or a extremely famous/important person

as in you will find love and be loved by someone else, but why can't it be me
    E. Rutherford 6/03/06
    Camden 6/19/08
    Newark 5/18/10
    MSG 5/20/10
    MSG 5/21/10
    Brian (Staten Island): Does Boom even speak to you guys?

SportsNation Jeff Ament: (6:42 PM ET ) we can only speak to Boom when spoken to...
  • Options
    cent208cent208 Posts: 435
    doompony wrote:

I'm not sure if he said, "you've got to write from what you know" or "You got it right from what you know". could somebody listen to it for me.
    "The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
  • Options
    you've got to write from what you know

it makes sense in the context.

you've got it right from what you know doesn't make sense.