Options

Question about Black

somestupidfuksomestupidfuk Posts: 60
edited August 2010 in The Porch
Alright, so I was listening to 106.5 the end out of Charlotte,NC today when the DJ said, "coming up next is a song by Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder personally called radio stations and asked them not to play this song." He went on to explain that because this song had so much personal meaning behind it, that Ed did not want it played. My first thought was, well then why are you playing it you tool. Shortly after Black began to play. Has anyone ever heard of this before or know if its true? I found it interesting. Incite??
Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them." -- Albert Einstein

10/31/09 Philly, 05/09/10 Cleveland
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I know he didn't want it released as a single. As far as calling stations and asking them not to play it, don't know
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    I have no real info on this but my 2 cents is this is pretty dumb sounding and was most likely a rumor or something taken out of context which then morphed into something other than the original statement. DJ's gotta fill time. The look for absolutely anything to talk about.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    I have no real info on this but my 2 cents is this is pretty dumb sounding and was most likely a rumor or something taken out of context which then morphed into something other than the original statement. DJ's gotta fill time. The look for absolutely anything to talk about.

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking too. Just another reason why the radio blows like Moby Dick!! I thought they were going to play be Release or Love Boat Captain or something along those lines.
    Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them." -- Albert Einstein

• Options
    From what I understand, Black was written about Stefanie Sargent who was a guitarist in Seven Year Bitch. She died after suffocating on her own vomit from drinking and taking heroin. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this or if she was Ed's girlfriend at the time or whatnot. Ed doesn't talk about it for obvious reasons whatever they are. The song speaks volumes of the pain he went through.
    Sometimes I burn like a dot on the Sun...
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Alright, so I was listening to 106.5 the end out of Charlotte,NC today when the DJ said, "coming up next is a song by Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder personally called radio stations and asked them not to play this song." He went on to explain that because this song had so much personal meaning behind it, that Ed did not want it played. My first thought was, well then why are you playing it you tool. Shortly after Black began to play. Has anyone ever heard of this before or know if its true? I found it interesting. Incite??

love 106.5
    love charlotte
    love black
    i read somewhere ed would yell at people if he heard them singing it on the street
    i cannot get a handle on him calling radio stations, though
    don't know about the stefanie sargent angle, but it is entirely possible
    peace, my carolina sister
    or if you were just passing through
    peace, carolina visitor
    to know it is to love it
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    lettinggo wrote:

love 106.5
    love charlotte
    love black
    i read somewhere ed would yell at people if he heard them singing it on the street
    peace, carolina visitor
    to know it is to love it

haha carolina brother :D

• Options
    lettinggo wrote:

love 106.5
    love charlotte
    love black
    peace, carolina visitor
    to know it is to love it

haha carolina brother :D
    this is so fucking funny because half the time people think I'm a guy
    maybe they think I'm a gay guy (not that there's anything wrong with that)
    peace, my carolina brother

• Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,266
    I know he didn't want it released as a single. As far as calling stations and asking them not to play it, don't know
    Well, I got this one;
    http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=428
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    Yep I know how you feel Carolina sister. Peace

• Options
    Well, I got this one;
    very nice!!

• Options
    He doesn't seem to have a problem playing it live.
    You will be no one's rival....

~Cincinnati, US Bank Arena - June 24, 2006~
    ~Chicago, United Center - Aug. 24, 2009~
    ~Columbus, Nationwide Arena - May 6, 2010~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 3, 2011~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 4, 2011~
  • Options
    Well, I got this one;

what a find!!
    the jacket and disc both have written
    "Promotional use only - not for resale"
    but at some point some body was using single discs of black for promotion
    I read somewhere that Ed was so fucking mad and didn't sing it for years.

• Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I heard that Eddie kicked Dave out of PJ for whistling the DoDoDoDoDootyDooo part one too many times....and for rocking the shit out of a drum kit.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,266
    lettinggo wrote:
    what a find!!
    the jacket and disc both have written
    "Promotional use only - not for resale"
    but at some point some body was using single discs of black for promotion
    I read somewhere that Ed was so fucking mad and didn't sing it for years.

Maybe I should bring my Black cd promo next time ill se PJ and try to get it signed by ED;)

-95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    From what I understand, Black was written about Stefanie Sargent who was a guitarist in Seven Year Bitch. She died after suffocating on her own vomit from drinking and taking heroin. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this or if she was Ed's girlfriend at the time or whatnot. Ed doesn't talk about it for obvious reasons whatever they are. The song speaks volumes of the pain he went through.

I've listened to Black since 1992 and never knew this to be a possible motivation for the lyrics. But it could make sense..as she died in June 1992 in Seattle. The opening lyrics..sheets of empty canvas..untouched sheets of clay..were laid spread out before me as her body once did..could refer to the body bag made of canvas covering her body and the clay heroin that was yet to be lit..

As far as the original topic..Eddie did say he didn't like the song to be overplayed because it was so personal and stopped it from being a single much to Sony Music's chagrin. This is from the 1993 Cameron Crowe Rolling Stone interview.

"And one night, while sitting out on a deserted coastal sand bluff, contemplating life after the death of a friend, guitarist Stefanie Sargent of 7 Year Bitch, he heard strange voices coming from the hill behind him. They were singing "Black," the fragile song that to Vedder had come to symbolize the overcommercialization of the band. He'd fought to keep it from getting overplayed, didn't want a video made of the song. Vedder hiked out of the bushes to ask the surprised hikers not to sing the song. Months later, he still remembers their odd and concerned looks as they faced the angst-filled author of the song. "
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLzGCIeUkUE

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

wow. first time to hear/see that. thanks for sharing.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

wow. first time to hear/see that. thanks for sharing.
    no problem dude, that could be my favorite video on youtube.

• Options
    That is why I love Pearl Jam (especially this particular song)

Eddie just sounds so heartfelt and genuine - how can you not moved by this performance?

I love this version of Black especially
  • Options
    That is why I love Pearl Jam (especially this particular song)

Eddie just sounds so heartfelt and genuine - how can you not moved by this performance?

I love this version of Black especially
    I agree. The power, energy, and emotion in this version is unmatched.

• Options
    here's Black being used in an ad... I wonder if they approved this?
    http://thestylerevolution.blogspot.com/ ... heets.html

or is this just some blog crap
    the Minions
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    here's Black being used in an ad... I wonder if they approved this?
    http://thestylerevolution.blogspot.com/ ... heets.html

or is this just some blog crap
    :silent: :sick:
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Eddie has said of the song Black

I'm sort of quoting but i probably have it a little bit wrong...twice I've heard him say something close to these two statements

"This is the saddest song I know...all that's left is the pain"

"Its personal, a relationship thing...I don't think I can ever explain what its all about"

"...hope none of you can relate"

he often tags black with "we belong together" which makes the whole thing just so much sadder

I don't know what Ed was thinking of course when he wrote it, I do know he doesn't like other people to sing it...that's quite telling

People will say that he doesn't like to sing it live so much, but its been played nearly 450 times since the first time at the Off Ramp in 1990...that's a lot of live! So, that's not holding water.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    cent208cent208 Posts: 435
    I met ed after a solo show in upper darby, pa last year. I asked him if black was based on real relationship or fictional. someone taped the coverasation and put it on youtube. the link is below. my question comes in at 2 minutes. if anybody wants a transcript of conversation let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAhS5VfFnw
    "The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045

I've listened to Black since 1992 and never knew this to be a possible motivation for the lyrics. But it could make sense..as she died in June 1992 in Seattle. The opening lyrics..sheets of empty canvas..untouched sheets of clay..were laid spread out before me as her body once did..could refer to the body bag made of canvas covering her body and the clay heroin that was yet to be lit..

As far as the original topic..Eddie did say he didn't like the song to be overplayed because it was so personal and stopped it from being a single much to Sony Music's chagrin. This is from the 1993 Cameron Crowe Rolling Stone interview.

"And one night, while sitting out on a deserted coastal sand bluff, contemplating life after the death of a friend, guitarist Stefanie Sargent of 7 Year Bitch, he heard strange voices coming from the hill behind him. They were singing "Black," the fragile song that to Vedder had come to symbolize the overcommercialization of the band. He'd fought to keep it from getting overplayed, didn't want a video made of the song. Vedder hiked out of the bushes to ask the surprised hikers not to sing the song. Months later, he still remembers their odd and concerned looks as they faced the angst-filled author of the song. "

Black was written in 1990. So this could not be written for or about her.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    I don't really like that station. I don't understand how they dictate what to play. They will play an awesome deep cut, like Glorified G, then rattle off eight or nine garbage songs in a row, but I digress. To the point, I have heard Black multiple times on that station and the DJ has never mentioned anything about it.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    cent208 wrote:
    I met ed after a solo show in upper darby, pa last year. I asked him if black was based on real relationship or fictional. someone taped the coverasation and put it on youtube. the link is below. my question comes in at 2 minutes. if anybody wants a transcript of conversation let me know

Damn, that was awesome. He is one cool customer. Actually, he transcends the word cool.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.

--Keep on Rockin

• Options
    cent208 wrote:

Can I have a transcript?

My speakers are blown out at the moment I I'm really interested as to what he said