Help with holiday/honeymoon destination

2»

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    Italy is high on the list for both of us but we wouldn't know where to start, I want to see so much there :?

You'd have to break the country up in sections, and visit one of the "sections."

Say:
    Northeast - Dolomites, Lake Como, Venice, maybe Ticino (in Switzerland)
    Central - Emilia-Romagna (Bologna), Le Marche, Umbria, Toscana (Florence, Siena, etc.)
    South Central - Rome, Napoli, Amalfi Coast, maybe Puglia
    Slavic - Fruili, Slovenia, Croatia

Food is amazing everywhere and incredibly diverse. I've been there 7 (I think) times; can't wait to go back!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    We didn't do at as a honeymoon but Thailand was fantastic!! We had a few days in the city at the start, then went off to an island and snorkeled, rode elephants and explored. Then back to the city for a few more days sightseeing. Had Hal (he turned 9 when we were there) with us and he had a fantastic time too, Mike loved the diving too.

Europe-wise; been to Barcelona twice and loved it both times.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I think India sounds really interesting, but I've heard it's very overwhelming and maybe not what you'd like on a honeymoon.

We did a cruise a few years ago and it was amazing. Greece, a bit of Turkey, and Italy. The best part was it was a small ship (maybe 80 passengers?) and there was a professor who spoke every other day on what we were seeing and maybe that sounds boring, but it was fantastic. But maybe not super romanic...

I think the Scandinavian trip sounds wonderful.

(My honeymoon 9,000 years ago was slightly weird - we drove up the east coast and stayed at bed and breakfast places and stopped at historical sites along the way - Gettysburg, the mansions in Newport, Lizzie Borden's house, etc. It was kind of weird, but it fit my husband and me and we had a great time.)
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

I just found the kind of thing I want!!!

It's a cruise:

Day 1 - Leave Southampton, UK
    Day 2 - Bruges, Belgium
    Day 3 - at sea
    Day 4 - Warnemunde, Germany
    Day 5 - at sea
    Day 6 - Helsinki, Finland
    Day 7 - St Petersburg, Russia
    Day 8 - St Petersburg, Russia
    Day 9 - Tallinn, Estonia
    Day 10 - Stockholm, Sweden
    Day 11 - at sea
    Day 12 - Copenhagen, Denmark
    Day 13 - Copenhagen, Denmark
    Day 14 - at sea
    Day 15 - Back to Southampton

Now THAT is my kinda holiday!! :mrgreen:
    that sounds good, throw in a trip down the norwegian fjords and you got it.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    edited August 2010
    for the rest of the world, how about start at california, hire a car and travel from cali - new york. you could pretty much pick any route.

years ago my bro did this and went from cali down through the south via texas, tennesee, missisipie, new orleans and up to new york. did in in 2 weeks.

just a thought.

i did the california/nevada/arizona thing myself twice. just hired a car with my mate, and just decided day by day where to go, was an amazing experience. i recommend.

the grand canyon at sunset is something else.
    Post edited by titchinello on
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

I just found the kind of thing I want!!!

It's a cruise:

Day 1 - Leave Southampton, UK
    Day 2 - Bruges, Belgium
    Day 3 - at sea
    Day 4 - Warnemunde, Germany
    Day 5 - at sea
    Day 6 - Helsinki, Finland
    Day 7 - St Petersburg, Russia
    Day 8 - St Petersburg, Russia
    Day 9 - Tallinn, Estonia
    Day 10 - Stockholm, Sweden
    Day 11 - at sea
    Day 12 - Copenhagen, Denmark
    Day 13 - Copenhagen, Denmark
    Day 14 - at sea
    Day 15 - Back to Southampton

Now THAT is my kinda holiday!! :mrgreen:
    that sounds good, throw in a trip down the norwegian fjords and you got it.

Exactly. Why not try out "Hurtig Route".
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095

i did the california/nevada/arizona thing myself twice. just hired a car with my mate, and just decided day by day where to go, was an amazing experience. i recommend.

the grand canyon at sunset is something else.
    We're gonna do something like that most likely... possibly gonna fly into San Fran and drive down to Mexico and spend some days there and fly back from San Diego.

Sian... Scandinavia.. in JANUARY? :shock: brrrrrrrrrrrr! Although the Northern Lights are the only thing left on my list. That would be amazing.

Also... a cruise in January... could be problems with that :oops:

India sounds amazing but it also sounds like a lot could go wrong :D and the honeymoon ain't the time for that.

Now Italy... 8-) *sigh* I loves Italy. I spent a week in Pisa and from there travelled to Florence, Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano and a few other places... it was amazing. I spent a week in Rome and, while it was beautiful, a week was too long :oops: . The one problem I have with Italy is that it can be toooooooo slow (i.e the nightlife :mrgreen: ) but this would suit a honeymoon.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    It's not all just scenery here!! Awesome adventure tourism - bungy jumping, white water rafting, jet boats, hiking. But also cool cities - Wellington, Auckland & Christchurch all have great art/museums, good food, theatre. Being Dec/Jan it will be summer here, lots of beautiful beaches. The only problem is that it will take you at least 24-36 hrs to get here.

My dream vacation would be Italy, Greece and Egypt. The history, the scenery and the food!!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    tinkerbell wrote:
    It's not all just scenery here!! Awesome adventure tourism - bungy jumping, white water rafting, jet boats, hiking. But also cool cities - Wellington, Auckland & Christchurch all have great art/museums, good food, theatre. Being Dec/Jan it will be summer here, lots of beautiful beaches. The only problem is that it will take you at least 24-36 hrs to get here.

My dream vacation would be Italy, Greece and Egypt. The history, the scenery and the food!!
    Where abouts in NZ are you? Magnificent country. I just wish I could do the trip we did last December again.
  • Snow and drizzle are also good. We like mountains country and sea.... I'd like to do two/three destinations over two weeks. I like relaxed but also activity...

I think you've basically stated that you'd like to tour the western US, especially the Pacific Northwest. December/January??? That pretty much sums us up.
    I carried a watermelon